Climate Change - Why don't we care?

Where goats go to escape
epwc

It’s probably what’s causing the coral bleaching too :crazy:
David in Gwent

Global Warming can't be avoided, it's a natural process.

However, this could be the answer to your problems.
The Lancet: Dramatic declines in global fertility rates set to transform global population patterns by 2100
https://www.healthdata.org/news-events/ ... 0of%20Asia.
Tilly Orifice

David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm Global Warming can't be avoided, it's a natural process.

The Lancet: Dramatic declines in global fertility rates set to transform global population patterns by 2100
Can you tell us why you believe the Lancet on this? After all you've just cogently explained that they're full of shit on Climate change, so clearly they can't be relied on.
epwc

David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm Global Warming can't be avoided, it's a natural process.
Fair enough, you sound like you know what you're talking about
petej

epwc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm
I've imagined him as alexander the meerkat in compare the market adverts wandering around pointing at things going simples. In this case he has pointed at declining birthrates and climate change and gone simples. Anyone genuinely trying to engage is playing the role of Sergei.
epwc

petej wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:16 pm
epwc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm
I've imagined him as alexander the meerkat in compare the market adverts wandering around pointing at things going simples. In this case he has pointed at declining birthrates and climate change and gone simples. Anyone genuinely trying to engage is playing the role of Sergei.
Seems more like the wombat to me, knows all the answers
Hal Jordan

Time for an airing of this classic.

https://youtu.be/iY3to-aUUnY?si=DG53ZX0ehkh4_4yG
David in Gwent

Tilly Orifice wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 pm

Can you tell us why you believe the Lancet on this? After all you've just cogently explained that they're full of shit on Climate change, so clearly they can't be relied on.
What has a medical journal got to do with Climate Change.
David in Gwent

If you lads actually truly believe that going Net Zero in Western Europe will help us avoid "Climate Change" then I can only applaud your gullibility

It's an unstoppable force but it's going to be used to control every single facet of your lives. On the one hand you're going to get your kicks from separating your rubbish (before it's shipped off and burned) and pretending that most of the electricity that charges your EV doesn't come from fossil fuels whilst on the other hand you're going to try and ignore that China are knocking up a Coal Mine or two every week.

You're going to believe that eating insects will actually change the weather. You're all wonderful and brave. :clap:
David in Gwent

People on this thread:
Climate change is a major issue for the Maldives. As an archipelago of low-lying islands and atolls in the Indian Ocean, the existence of the Maldives is severely threatened by sea level rise. By 2050, 80% of the country could become uninhabitable due to global warming
Me on this thread
The development of four new airports will be complete next year, according to Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC)’s CEO Adam Azim.
epwc

David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pmYou're all wonderful and brave. :clap:
Glad you appreciate us, I'm truly humbled
Slick

David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm If you lads actually truly believe that going Net Zero in Western Europe will help us avoid "Climate Change" then I can only applaud your gullibility

It's an unstoppable force but it's going to be used to control every single facet of your lives. On the one hand you're going to get your kicks from separating your rubbish (before it's shipped off and burned) and pretending that most of the electricity that charges your EV doesn't come from fossil fuels whilst on the other hand you're going to try and ignore that China are knocking up a Coal Mine or two every week.

You're going to believe that eating insects will actually change the weather. You're all wonderful and brave. :clap:
There was me worrying that there was something you weren't an expert on. Phew.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
petej

Slick wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm If you lads actually truly believe that going Net Zero in Western Europe will help us avoid "Climate Change" then I can only applaud your gullibility

There was me worrying that there was something you weren't an expert on. Phew.
It is impressive. The total absence of any nuance at all and the wild extrapolation. I do like China knocking up coal mines. I guess Europe is busy buggering wind turbines and the French are getting freaky with nuclear power
yermum

David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm

Ah bless
Guy Smiley

DAC, the boreds one and only gay man in the village.
Tilly Orifice

David in Gwent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm

I know, right? Imagine a medical journal producing pages of uninformed blather on climate Change!
Biffer

Do fuck off.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
epwc

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... desh-india

Where do you think all these poor brown fuckers are going to try and get to in the current conditions? I'm sure the anti immigrant types amongst us must see the dangers of not doing the most we can to counter climate change?
Tichtheid

epwc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:56 pmdon't fly short haul
It's not even that, one of my wife's mates who has a place in Spain went there on a day trip with 4 mates last year because there were flights available at £4.99 return.

That's seriously mental.

I was reminded of this post just now.

Two friends, one living in Newcastle, one in Birmingham, apparently met in Malaga because it was cheaper than getting the train. One return ticket on the train was priced at £105, two return flights, one from Newcastle, one from Birmingham, to Malaga came in at £75.
Biffer

lack of tax on airline fuel is a massive issue that needs to be addressed.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
epwc

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am lack of tax on airline fuel is a massive issue that needs to be addressed.
100% but for this we need brave politicians, but there’s no one in the current system with the balls to do this
S/Lt_Phillips

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am lack of tax on airline fuel is a massive issue that needs to be addressed.
And adding VAT to the tickets (though because it's technically 'public transport', the rules don't allow for that). At least there should be a levy on business class tickets.

Read an interesting book called Zero Altitude by a travel journalist called Helen Coffey, who tried various alternatives to flying. As a result, later this summer we're returning from Croatia by train, just to see how it goes.
Left hand down a bit
Raggs

As the grid gets smarter, EVs get more common, and home batteries too, it'll smoothen out the grid really well. The batteries and inverter I have for my solar, could easily fit in a small cupboard. Very easily in the loft. OK, massive apartment blocks would struggle to get enough batteries to supply them for the day etc, but the tech is improving fast, and a smaller battery of 5kwh or so, is likely rapidly getting to a stage where it could comfortably fit in most places. Might not supply a whole days energy, but would easily be enough to smooth out the wrinkles etc.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
epwc

Yep, just need to get the deniers and fossil fuel supporters to shut the fuck up.

According to a mail reading acquaintance of mine she couldn’t get an ev because she needs more than 70 miles of range. The woman used to be a board director of a FTSE company, it’s amazing how unquestioning people are.

Was it always like this or is this inability to search for even the tiniest amount of real data or real life experience new?

There’s enough ev websites out there that give you real users experiences
mat the expat

I did one of the first University courses in Environmental Science back in 94.

One of my lecturers was an awesome, tenured Professor of Botany and Meteorology. He was Irish but his drinking was mostly the result of nobody listening to the obvious science........

.... back in 1994. :???:
petej

Raggs wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm
As the grid gets smarter, EVs get more common, and home batteries too, it'll smoothen out the grid really well. The batteries and inverter I have for my solar, could easily fit in a small cupboard. Very easily in the loft. OK, massive apartment blocks would struggle to get enough batteries to supply them for the day etc, but the tech is improving fast, and a smaller battery of 5kwh or so, is likely rapidly getting to a stage where it could comfortably fit in most places. Might not supply a whole days energy, but would easily be enough to smooth out the wrinkles etc.
Over a year 85% of my electricity came from solar and battery combination. Over winter I charged my house battery off peak enough so it wouldn't run out.
epwc

Most newer EVs can also be plugged in to your domestic supply to balance out loads in the way you're describing.

Obviously regs should reflect the reality of our future, any new house built that has off road parking should be required to have at least one charging port and also Vehicle To Load capabilities.

But understanding shit that makes sense hasn't been this government's forte.
petej

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 am Most newer EVs can also be plugged in to your domestic supply to balance out loads in the way you're describing.

Obviously regs should reflect the reality of our future, any new house built that has off road parking should be required to have at least one charging port and also Vehicle To Load capabilities.

But understanding shit that makes sense hasn't been this government's forte.
EVs can not sure how many chargers support it. I charge house battery 1st off solar then the car.
inactionman

We missed all the grants for home chargers by a few months, but wondering if and when prices will drop - they're not ruinously expensive for relatively low power, but I'd like at least a 22Kw charger which aren't cheap.

We can't use our EV for anything other than city runs, so next up will be either a PHEV or a longer-range electric so we can get rid of the second (diesel) car. Budget will dictate which.

We're also speaking to an architect to make some changes to the house, and a big part will be to insulate - we've two skylights that are single-glazed and there's no real point in e.g. air source heat pumps until that is sorted as they're pissing out heat. We can't get a grant to help us do this insulating, as our council tax band is one too high, so given the sheer scale and cost we'll have to take a lot longer to do all the work. C'est la vie.
epwc

When looking for an architect it's much better to find someone who at least has knowledge of PassivHaus/EnerPhit, otherwise they won't be doing the best they could.

It's relatively straightforward if you grasp the basic concepts
inactionman

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:30 am When looking for an architect it's much better to find someone who at least has knowledge of PassivHaus/EnerPhit, otherwise they won't be doing the best they could.

It's relatively straightforward if you grasp the basic concepts
We're going with an architect who did some work for previous owners as he knows the house and the original surveys etc are complete.

I've highlighted that energy efficiency is important. I'd also anticipate that building standards will be an order of scale better than the original build.
epwc

Always happy to give it a sanity check if you like.
epwc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-68948239

Jus one event, multiple events like this are happening daily now, but Boris forgetting his ID is still higher placed on the BBC News website
Begbie

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 am
It's not even that, one of my wife's mates who has a place in Spain went there on a day trip with 4 mates last year because there were flights available at £4.99 return.

That's seriously mental.

Two friends, one living in Newcastle, one in Birmingham, apparently met in Malaga because it was cheaper than getting the train. One return ticket on the train was priced at £105, two return flights, one from Newcastle, one from Birmingham, to Malaga came in at £75.
I know one of them. She'll be tickled it's still being mentioned :grin:
So I squares up, casual like.
inactionman

That's seriously mental.

Tough choice, costa del sol or New Street station.

I appreciate the relative prices are daft, so I don't challenge your main point, but I'd jump at the chance for a trip to Spain.
Tichtheid

Begbie wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:28 am

That's seriously mental.

I saw in the paper a few days ago :thumbup:
dpedin

That's seriously mental.

My son and girlfriend were coming home after inter rail holiday in Europe. Flight from somewhere in Italy to Edinburgh was too expensive so flew to Copenhagen spent 12 hours there then flew back to Edinburgh - two flights were considerably cheaper than one!

Another example was a few years ago we were flying to South Carolina for golf holiday Edinburgh - Heathrow - Charlotte - Myrtle Beach. Got amazingly cheap price c£550 return from Edinburgh. Called our two mates in England who were going to join up on same flights but from Heathrow - they were quoted £1,100 return for two less flights! Something to do with computer algorithms according to BA. They ended up getting cheap flights to Edinburgh for c£85 return and saved themselves c£500! Mad!
David in Gwent

dpedin wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:22 am

My son and girlfriend were coming home after inter rail holiday in Europe. Flight from somewhere in Italy to Edinburgh was too expensive so flew to Copenhagen spent 12 hours there then flew back to Edinburgh - two flights were considerably cheaper than one!

Another example was a few years ago we were flying to South Carolina for golf holiday Edinburgh - Heathrow - Charlotte - Myrtle Beach. Got amazingly cheap price c£550 return from Edinburgh. Called our two mates in England who were going to join up on same flights but from Heathrow - they were quoted £1,100 return for two less flights! Something to do with computer algorithms according to BA. They ended up getting cheap flights to Edinburgh for c£85 return and saved themselves c£500! Mad!
So what you're saying is that you and your privileged family and friends have massive carbon footprints?