The Official English Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Oxbow

Saints didn't deserve to win today, but Dickson is a fucking disgrace.
Hal Jordan

Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm Saints didn't deserve to win today, but Dickson is a fucking disgrace.
Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 pm Great decision from former Quins scrum half Dickson that.
Should have been more generous to his brother's old club?

Or not have been in charge of this one in the first place.
JM2K6

Dickson is terrible but the recent suggestions on social media that he's biased towards Quins are fucking idiotic if you've ever seen him ref us before. He's genuinely fucked us on multiple occasions.

The care non yellow was a weird situation, but it wasn't a ruck and I can see how both officials thought it was in Mitchell's hands. Definitely feels a lucky one though and I think it's inarguable that had it not been a player already on a yellow I think that gets carded without getting forensic about it, and fair enough. The attack came from Lynagh being held off the ball by Furbank so I don't think I'm feeling massively charitable tbh!

The knock on at the base I didn't think was a particularly controversial call - if you have your hand on it, the ball gets knocked around, and you get a finger to it, it's a knock on.

We copped three yellows and a try from a blatant forward pass so I'm pretty sure Quins won't feel like they had an easy ride.

None of that should change the most important point, which is that Dickson is an awful ref who regularly shits the bed.
Oxbow

No arguments with the result, Saints were largely poor today and Quins deserved to win, but Dickson definitely shat it when he realised it was Care and a second yellow would have meant a red. He even started reaching towards his pocket until reality kicked in.
JM2K6

Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 pm No arguments with the result, Saints were largely poor today and Quins deserved to win, but Dickson definitely shat it when he realised it was Care and a second yellow would have meant a red. He even started reaching towards his pocket until reality kicked in.
Yeah I do think it's handled differently without the threat of the red. Referees will find any reason not to produce a red card.
sockwithaticket

Hal Jordan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm
Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm Saints didn't deserve to win today, but Dickson is a fucking disgrace.
Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 pm Great decision from former Quins scrum half Dickson that.
Should have been more generous to his brother's old club?

Or not have been in charge of this one in the first place.
I'm happy to put it down to Dickson just generally being shit and having a history of making baffling calls around big decisions, but refs who previously played for a particular club shouldn't be in charge of games featuring them. Regardless of whether there's any real basis to it, fans will talk about perceived bias and it's a completely avoidable distraction. The Premiership isn't so short on matchday officials that they have no choice but to give Dickson Quins games.
JM2K6

I think it's the fourth time he has reffed us. It's not gone well previously. I'd be thrilled if he didn't ref us again.
sockwithaticket

I had to half watch the game while doing other things, but he definitely did you dirty on at least a couple of occasions from what I saw. Shortly before the Care incident it looked like Lynagh was pretty obviously impeded off the ball while chasing a kick. Potential yellow card for Saints in that.
JM2K6

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm I had to half watch the game while doing other things, but he definitely did you dirty on at least a couple of occasions from what I saw. Shortly before the Care incident it looked like Lynagh was pretty obviously impeded off the ball while chasing a kick. Potential yellow card for Saints in that.
Yup.

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither trying to claim that overall he screwed us, or pretending that I don't understand why saints are pissed off. But that certainly wasn't any kind of favouritism on display.
ASMO

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:11 pm Dickson is terrible but the recent suggestions on social media that he's biased towards Quins are fucking idiotic if you've ever seen him ref us before. He's genuinely fucked us on multiple occasions.

The care non yellow was a weird situation, but it wasn't a ruck and I can see how both officials thought it was in Mitchell's hands. Definitely feels a lucky one though and I think it's inarguable that had it not been a player already on a yellow I think that gets carded without getting forensic about it, and fair enough. The attack came from Lynagh being held off the ball by Furbank so I don't think I'm feeling massively charitable tbh!

The knock on at the base I didn't think was a particularly controversial call - if you have your hand on it, the ball gets knocked around, and you get a finger to it, it's a knock on.

We copped three yellows and a try from a blatant forward pass so I'm pretty sure Quins won't feel like they had an easy ride.

None of that should change the most important point, which is that Dickson is an awful ref who regularly shits the bed.
Have to agree, he is just downright terrible, the English Adamson.
Paddington Bear

I’m not convinced we can stop refs doing their old clubs in a 10 team league. Agree with JMK, more a symptom of Dickson being a poor ref than biased
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
ASMO

Hearing Glaws looking at Radwan as a replacement for May after he has done his sevens stint
SaintK

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm I had to half watch the game while doing other things, but he definitely did you dirty on at least a couple of occasions from what I saw. Shortly before the Care incident it looked like Lynagh was pretty obviously impeded off the ball while chasing a kick. Potential yellow card for Saints in that.
Yup.

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither trying to claim that overall he screwed us, or pretending that I don't understand why saints are pissed off. But that certainly wasn't any kind of favouritism on display.
Quite. Just the usual incompetence.
SaintK

Bloody stupid arse!!!!
England rugby star Billy Vunipola has been arrested after a violent incident at a bar in Majorca.
The 31-year-old was tasered twice by police at a bar called Epic in Palma at 4.30am on Sunday following calls from security staff.
Vunipola, who is 6ft 2in and weighs nearly 20 stone, was said to be unaffected by the first taser volt fired by police. The taser was used for a second time before the England international was retrained and handcuffed.
Vunipola was taken to nearby Son Espases Hospital where he had to be sedated and bound to his bed.
Until the medication took effect several security guards and police officers had to watch over him.
sockwithaticket

Pretty sure he's mentioned having issues handling his drink in the past and we've seen him have petulant side that could get to the edge of nasty in games before, like the infamous 'I'm a grown ass man' bit with Wayne Barnes.

Probably someone who's best kept sober.
inactionman

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:24 am Pretty sure he's mentioned having issues handling his drink in the past and we've seen him have petulant side that could get to the edge of nasty in games before, like the infamous 'I'm a grown ass man' bit with Wayne Barnes.

Probably someone who's best kept sober.
probably best not taking him off on a weekender to the Belearics.

Assume it was a personal trip - stag do or whatever - and not some team build thing, but he might need to recognise he shouldn't be putting himsle finto these positions.

As an aside, I'll admit to some degree of admiration for anyone who needs to be tazered twice.
JM2K6

Saracens must be deeply disappointed...

...where has this version of Billy been over the last 12 months? They're probably making changes to the contents of his lucozade sports drinks as we speak
SaintK

Chessum out for 4 months
England and Leicester Tigers lock Ollie Chessum has been ruled out of the rest of the season after undergoing surgery to repair an ongoing injury.
The 23-year-old will not only be ruled out of Leicester’s remaining fixtures in the Gallagher Premiership, but will also miss England’s fixture against Japan in June and two-match series against the All Blacks in July.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ollie- ... blacks/
petej

Tigers are embarrassingly slow and bad these days