Another mass shooting in the US

Where goats go to escape
ASMO

Slick

13 year old kid got killed by a copper last night as well.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Calculon

As someone who's used FedEx, I have some sympathy.... Still, shooting people is not cool
Sandstorm

Calculon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am As someone who's used FedEx, I have some sympathy.... Still, shooting people is not cool
Fuck! I shipped a router yesterday from New York to Indianapolis with Fedex. Better ring my client and tell them it might be delayed. :sad:
Lobby

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 am
Calculon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am As someone who's used FedEx, I have some sympathy.... Still, shooting people is not cool
Fuck! I shipped a router yesterday from New York to Indianapolis with Fedex. Better ring my client and tell them it might be delayed. :sad:
With this and your cat comb fucking the Suez canal, can you advise us which couriers you will be using in future so we can all avoid them.
Slick

Lobby wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 am
With this and your cat comb fucking the Suez canal, can you advise us which couriers you will be using in future so we can all avoid them.
I don't want to take focus off the poor folk that have died, but the fate of the cat comb has really been worrying me.
ScarfaceClaw

Thoughts and prayers go out to those without cat combs at a time like this.
Sandstorm

Slick wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am

I don't want to take focus off the poor folk that have died, but the fate of the cat comb has really been worrying me.
:lol: :lol:
Insane_Homer

Slick wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 am 13 year old kid got killed by a copper last night as well.
Footage released yesterday - "Bodycam video shows the policeman shouting "drop it" before shooting Adam Toledo once in the chest on 29 March."
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
sockwithaticket

Shooting him in the chest while he has his hands in the air and is not holding a weapon having been given a fraction of a second to comply.
Sandstorm

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm Shooting him in the chest while he has his hands in the air and is not holding a weapon having been given a fraction of a second to comply.
I don't see it like that. Kid was facing away from the cops, (probably) throwing the gun behind the fence, cop shouts at him and he turns to face the cop with his hands in the air. A spilt-second later the cop fires.

The (previously probably armed) kid turning back towards the cop in the dark alley could been seen as a threatening/dangerous move made by the kid and hence why cop felt he should fire. He had no knowledge of whether the kid was still holding the gun.

I think this one was a "good shoot", but with a tragic outcome unfortunately.
sockwithaticket

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm Shooting him in the chest while he has his hands in the air and is not holding a weapon having been given a fraction of a second to comply.
I don't see it like that. Kid was facing away from the cops, (probably) throwing the gun behind the fence, cop shouts at him and he turns to face the cop with his hands in the air. A spilt-second later the cop fires.

The (previously probably armed) kid turning back towards the cop in the dark alley could been seen as a threatening/dangerous move made by the kid and hence why cop felt he should fire. He had no knowledge of whether the kid was still holding the gun.

So we agree the cop shoots a kid who has his hands in the air and is not obviously armed nor in a position to use any armament that may be in his possession.

I made the mistake of watching the footage. If that officer thinks he's under threat in that situation, he shouldn't be carrying the badge and gun. The kid is in the process of raising his hands and there's a literal spotlight on the kid from the officer on that whole torso area to illuminate what the kid's doing.

What is the god damned point of issuing orders if you're not going to wait a beat to see if they're being followed?

At this stage it looks like both non-compliance and compliance can give you a death sentence.
Last edited by sockwithaticket on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biffer

Looks like America is getting back to normal after the pandemic.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Slick

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:33 pm

So we agree the cop shoots a kid who has his hands in the air and is not obviously armed nor in a position to use any armament that may be in his possession.

I made the mistake of watching the footage. If that officer thinks he's under threat in that situation, he shouldn't be carrying the badge and gun. The kid is in the process of raising his hands and there's a literal spotlight on the kid from the officer on that whole torso area to illuminate what the kid's doing.

What is the god damned point of issuing orders if you're not going to wait a beat to see if they're being followed?

At this stage it looks like both non-compliance and compliance can give you a death sentence.
However any of us see it, and I tend to agree with Sandy, what a fucked up place that a cop is shooting a 13 year old. A 13 year old who was carrying a gun no less.
Marylandolorian

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm Looks like America is getting back to normal after the pandemic.
It’s getting worse, beside the 45 mass shoOtings in the last month, we see a recrudescence of road rages and altercations ending with shoOting. It’s not that surprising when you see the financial and physiological damage this pandemic did to so many people.
Last edited by Marylandolorian on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JM2K6

Marylandolorian wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:34 pm
Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm Looks like America is getting back to normal after the pandemic.
It’s getting worse, beside the 45 mass shoutings in the last month, we see a recrudescence of road rages and altercations ending with shouting. It’s not that surprising when you see the financial and physiological damage this pandemic did to so many people.
I love that you used "recrudescence" but also "mass shoutings" and "altercations ending with shouting".
Torquemada 1420

:lol:
Marylandolorian

JM2K6 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:08 pm
It’s getting worse, beside the 45 mass shoOtings in the last month, we see a recrudescence of road rages and altercations ending with shouting. It’s not that surprising when you see the financial and physiological damage this pandemic did to so many people.
I love that you used "recrudescence" but also "mass shoutings" and "altercations ending with shouting".
:lol: shouting vs shooting not much difference....as long it’s not directed at me
Calculon

Well, apart from like, using his eyes. The child was brightly lit up by the police officer's own torch, facing the police officer, with his empty hands raised up in the universal sign of surrender, when he was shot dead.

I read the police officer was ex military and joined the police straight after leaving the army.
JM2K6

Calculon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:38 pm

Well, apart from like, using his eyes. The child was brightly lit up by the police officer's own torch, facing the police officer, with his empty hands raised up in the universal sign of surrender, when he was shot dead.

I read the police officer was ex military and joined the police straight after leaving the army.
A good example of the myth of ex-military being a good fit for police work. No, not everyone is a target and an existential threat.
Slick

This is fucking horrific in London as well

Joshua White murder: Three men guilty over Hackney stabbing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56766812
Sandstorm

“Brightly lit” after someone paused the picture to show it on Cable TV.

Watch the video again and see how little time the (almost completely out of breath) cop actually has between when the kid starts to turn and he shoots. It’s less than a second.

This cop will be back at work next Friday.
Uncle fester

Good to see cops taking a zero tolerance approach to folk bearing arms.

Would be nice if they extended that to white people too.
Kawazaki

It’s getting worse, beside the 45 mass shoutings in the last month, we see a recrudescence of road rages and altercations ending with shouting. It’s not that surprising when you see the financial and physiological damage this pandemic did to so many people.

Top word. :clap:
sockwithaticket

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Watch the video again and see how little time the (almost completely out of breath) cop actually has between when the kid starts to turn and he shoots. It’s less than a second.

In America that really has very little to do with whether or not he acted correctly/justifiably.
Kawazaki

I do have some sympathy with the cop (not much but some). It is impossible to know what he saw from the video - you can say what you see from the video, especially after you've watched it in slow motion half a dozen times but in the moment, when you are full of adrenaline chasing a kid you know has a gun? Nah, that's something YOU simply can't know how you'd react.
Calculon

the yank cop panicked, same as the taser woman cop
troglodiet

ASMO wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:14 am 8 Dead, Indianappolis

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56770200

Good guy with gun taking out bad guy with gun. :thumbup:
Sandstorm

Calculon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 pm

the yank cop panicked, same as the taser woman cop
Nope.
Calculon

Agree to disagree then, a cop repeatedly swearing and then breaking down in tears afterwards doesn't strike me as being in control, never mind the shooting of an unarmed child bit.

The cop might escape sanction but he certainly won't be back on patrol next Friday
troglodiet

Saffa rugby player shot by cops in Hawaii.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... e-20210416

Not sure what to make of this tbh. "Facts" from both sides seems dodgy.

Would require proper investigation.
Openside

fishfoodie

Whatever else happens; this piece of shit should rot in prison for the rest of his miserable life.
According to prosecutors, the teenager was with a 21-year-old man, Ruben Roman, who had just fired a gun at a passing car. The gunfire drew police to the area, resulting in the deadly confrontation.

Mr Roman appeared in court on Saturday charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, reckless discharge of a firearm and child endangerment, according to local media report
He handed over the gun to the kid that got shot; because he knew damn well, that as a minor, he wouldn't face the same sentence as a gang banger like him would; & then ran off in a different direction.

The cop had an impossible situation; he was on his own, chasing an armed suspect, who he knew had just fired the weapon; & all of this in the murder capital of the US.

Have any of the bleeding hearts mentioned that this 13 year old was out with his gang at 02:30 on Monday morning ? .....

Didn't think so !

There are plenty of "real", bad shoots by Police; but this one is just, shit parenting, & society with 300,000,000 guns
Hugo

The police officer was obviously trigger happy probably on account of the pursuit and the adrenaline in his system but I wish in these instances people would look at the deeper root causes rather than a momentary interaction in a fight or flight situation, or kill or be killed.

Let's say the entire interaction between the police officer and the kid lasted 5 minutes, that's not even a fraction of a percent of the kids life. What were the adults in his life doing the 99% of his life before this incident whereby he ended up in possession of a firearm, (that belonged to someone else) running away from a police officer at 2:30 in the morning?

I'm honestly just tired of the way the police are always framed as being in the wrong when in a healthier society they wouldn't have to make these split second decisions in the first place.
Last edited by Hugo on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fangle

I read the other day that with the increase in city violence, in the last year there have been over ten million new registered gun owners. This is from a local, non-alarmist paper. I am at a loss. I’ve never owned a gun and never will.
sockwithaticket

And while they deal with the society they have rather than the utopia we might one day hope for all to enjoy, perhaps they should be just a little less trigger happy so that they stop providing seemingly weekly examples of killing citizens who posed no credible threat. The wedge this is driving between them and the citizens hasn't even begun to have consequences for them yet.

If they can bring Dylan fucking Roof in alive, they can wait a moment to see if a scared 13 year old has put his hands up.
fishfoodie

Hugo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 pm The police officer was obviously trigger happy probably on account of the pursuit and the adrenaline in his system but I wish in these instances people would look at the deeper root causes rather than a momentary interaction in a fight or flight situation, or kill or be killed.

Let's say the entire interaction between the police officer and the kid lasted 5 minutes, that's not even a fraction of a percent of the kids life. What were the adults in his life doing the 99% of his life before this incident whereby he ended up in possession of a firearm, (that belonged to someone else) running away from a police officer at 2:30 in the morning?

I'm honestly just tired of the way the police are always framed as being in the wrong when in a healthier society they wouldn't have to make these split second decisions in the first place.
Indeed !

... and where was society during the preceding 99.9999% of his life ?

Where were the truancy officers that meant that he could be out on a Sunday night; not worrying about being in school on Monday morning ?

Where were the social workers; that left him in this family environment ?

Where were the gang surveillance teams, that spend their lives watching these gangs ?

Where were the "local activists", when this child fell under the influence of the scum in the gangs ?

A lot of the, activists, who are now outraged at this childs death; have done the square root of fuck all to stop him, & many others from joining these criminal gangs; & sealing his fate.
Kawazaki

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:45 pm And while they deal with the society they have rather than the utopia we might one day hope for all to enjoy, perhaps they should be just a little less trigger happy so that they stop providing seemingly weekly examples of killing citizens who posed no credible threat. The wedge this is driving between them and the citizens hasn't even begun to have consequences for them yet.

If they can bring Dylan fucking Roof in alive, they can wait a moment to see if a scared 13 year old has put his hands up.

How on earth do you tuck this away in the 'posed no credible threat' catch-all box in your brain?
Jock42

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:45 pm
Could he? It takes a moment to discharge a weapon.

Where did this incident take place in relation to the initial shooting and that gangs area?

Was it known or suspected that there were other suspects in the area?

Genuine questions btw. Its a "360 Battlefield" and very hard to maintain around situation awareness by yourself.
Calculon

Anyways, another example of America's finest in action. This didn't happen in downtown fallujah but in Windsor Virginia. After the incident the chief of police said they will conduct an internal investigation. Windsor has a population of around 2600, virtually no crime and spends 34 percent of its budget on the police, which consists of 7 officers (including the chief of police)