Gaming thread

Where goats go to escape
Insane_Homer

Quest 2 is a stand alone unit, and can be connected to PC over wireless or USB c cable (dont pay £80 for their cable, complete rip off)

Colleague at work raves about his.

currently requires a Facebook account, but they are removing that requirement.

(I still have a CV1, but looking at getting one of these)
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Raggs

Bullet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:26 pm Help please, I can see VR headsets discussed a couple of years ago but was there ever a concensus of opinion?

Been asked to get something that works with Xbox.
Google tells me nothing is supported but looks like some Oculus ones could connect with an app on it?

Either a rift or quest 2, can these be used on their own or need a PC/ laptop too?
There's no xbox associated headset.

Quest 2 is standalone, no need for a pc or console. You can however connect it to a PC if you have a good enough one, you can either use a wire, or do it over your wifi.

There's not really any other standalone headset at the moment, and there's nothing in the price range of the quest 2 for PCVR.

Basically get a quest 2. You do currently need a facebook account to use it, though it should soon be a case of just needing a general "meta" account. I got a quest 2 and love it. Currently play VR mini golf with my 81 year old dad once a week, been great during covid where I've only seen him twice in the flesh in the last 2 years+ (we've also played a fishing game together, great relaxing game). Also play once a week with a group from a tech forum, currently mostly playing Demeo, which is like an RPG tabletop game. Though we've also played laser tag type games, silly mini quest type games (killing goblins/skeletons etc), paintball, golf, an mmorpg type game, and star trek bridge crew (had some great laughs with that).

Will it be for you, your family etc?
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bullet

Thanks for responses, confirming what I'd read. Looks like stand alone it is then so guess I need to pay more for the larger memory version?

It's for my 11 year old son who has aspergers and xbox is his only social 'contact' at the moment so we're happy to go with that for a while.
Raggs

Bullet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:32 pm Thanks for responses, confirming what I'd read. Looks like stand alone it is then so guess I need to pay more for the larger memory version?

It's for my 11 year old son who has aspergers and xbox is his only social 'contact' at the moment so we're happy to go with that for a while.
It'll need to be linked to one of your accounts then, since he's not old enough for facebook.

128gb (the smaller one) should be enough to be honest, depending on what games you go with, the vast majority are 10gb or less (lots clock in around 2-4gb), there are now starting to be some larger ones.

Just as in any potentially online thing, it can be toxic. There's plenty of online stuff, you can setup a kids account in a few things (like Rec Room, which is free, and has a load of content) which mutes out most others, probably not a bad idea.

I'd also be careful with having him play too much at once. VR is a whole new level of immersion, and I know when my nearly 10 year old, gets too much time playing xbox, he can get quite grumpy etc, VR only makes it harder for them to "snap" out of it. You can have weird dreams for a little while, and if you play a lot, for the first week or two you can feel a little disassociated, like it's not quite the real world, as your brain adjusts, it's not long term, but something to consider.

Also, don't get rollercoaster experiences etc at first. People need to get the VR legs first, since motion (especially rapid and uncontrolled) in front of your eyes, but not in the rest of your body, can lead to motion sickness. If you or your boy starts to feel sick, stop, recover, and make sure you only have short bursts in VR till you adapt. Trying to push through just leads your body just associating VR with feeling sick,
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bullet

Great, thanks for all the information there.
We're conscious of time limits but will be more aware of VR time thanks.

I also messaged our IT consultant who's an Xbox user who told me that he'll explain airquest casting and sideloading on Monday so limited connectivity is possible.

It's already beyond me...
Raggs

Bullet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:01 pm Great, thanks for all the information there.

I also messaged our IT consultant who's an Xbox user who told me that he'll explain airquest casting and sideloading on Monday so limited connectivity is possible.

I'm 99% sure there's ways to basically use the quest 2 screen as the screen for the xbox, but to be honest, I don't think it's worth it. I believe it may also be possible to use cloud gaming services directly to the quest 2, which might be a bit more interesting.

Either way, it's brilliant fun :).

Would definitely recommend downloading:

Free:
First steps - Introduction to the controllers, and a few fun things to try.
Rec room - you name it, it's got it. Adventure quests, paintball, laser tag, rec royale, chat hangouts, car racing, all with cartoony graphics.
Mission ISS - You get to explore the space station (can cause problems with motion sickness).
Gorilla tag - Can be a problem community (name calling, kids trying to be edgy etc), but hit a good lobby and it's a great fun game. DO NOT PLAY NEAR BREAKABLES!

Paid
Beat saber - VR classic.
Walkabout mini golf - Especially if you have people to play with.
Eleven table tennis - If you like table tennis, this is a must have, very realistic physics, including multiplayer.

If you play yourself, don't assume that you'll enjoy the same genres as flatscreen. I've never been much of an FPS player, especially battler royale types, but I've really enjoyed what I've done of these in vr.
Raggs

As a perfect example. I've just bought After the Fall, which is Left 4 Dead in VR basically. Team of 4 killing waves of zombies moving through a level. I don't play these games on flatscreen. I enjoyed playing Gears of War with a friend, but it's not really the same as there's more story there I believe. However, in VR, I'm really enjoying it, even matching up with random people.
Thor Sedan

Raggs wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Bullet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:01 pm Great, thanks for all the information there.

I'm 99% sure there's ways to basically use the quest 2 screen as the screen for the xbox, but to be honest, I don't think it's worth it. I believe it may also be possible to use cloud gaming services directly to the quest 2, which might be a bit more interesting.

Either way, it's brilliant fun :).

Would definitely recommend downloading:

Free:
First steps - Introduction to the controllers, and a few fun things to try.
Rec room - you name it, it's got it. Adventure quests, paintball, laser tag, rec royale, chat hangouts, car racing, all with cartoony graphics.
Mission ISS - You get to explore the space station (can cause problems with motion sickness).
Gorilla tag - Can be a problem community (name calling, kids trying to be edgy etc), but hit a good lobby and it's a great fun game. DO NOT PLAY NEAR BREAKABLES!

Paid
Beat saber - VR classic.
Walkabout mini golf - Especially if you have people to play with.
Eleven table tennis - If you like table tennis, this is a must have, very realistic physics, including multiplayer.

If you play yourself, don't assume that you'll enjoy the same genres as flatscreen. I've never been much of an FPS player, especially battler royale types, but I've really enjoyed what I've done of these in vr.
Fantastic advice on here Raggs. We have just got Quest 2 for the kids (and lets be honest....me as well) for Christmas and I have been umming and ahhing if the experience is going to be able to compare to their cousins VR (PC operated). Seems like it just might!

Both my boys are autistic and very 'games' driven. Do you know of any titles where there is an element of calm and 'chilling' out involved?

Regarding the downloading - is that all contained via the headset? Essentially a store you go to to download?
Raggs

Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 pmFantastic advice on here Raggs. We have just got Quest 2 for the kids (and lets be honest....me as well) for Christmas and I have been umming and ahhing if the experience is going to be able to compare to their cousins VR (PC operated). Seems like it just might!

Both my boys are autistic and very 'games' driven. Do you know of any titles where there is an element of calm and 'chilling' out involved?

Regarding the downloading - is that all contained via the headset? Essentially a store you go to to download?
There's some meditation experiences. Real VR fishing can be very chilled out if you're in a room with friends/nice randoms, and it doesn't tend to draw the noisy bunch too much. Walkabout mini golf is fantastic, and also quite relaxing for the most part (except when you miss an easy putt!).

It's all contained on the headset, you do need the app on your phone though to activate the headset (and you can buy stuff through your phone, or the headset, but need a pin to do it). Obviously as it's pin protected (or can be), you can set it so your kids can't just buy stuff without the pin.

I would strongly recommend setting it up now, since it is a little involved, and can take a little while, and downloading a few free things (rec room, first steps). As I said earlier, if you add me on facebook, I can send you a referral code to do when you activate the headset, and that'll give us both some store credit, enough to get walkabout mini golf and maybe the fishing too (or whatever).

EDIT -Bogo is free too actually, just playing with an alien pet, nice and simple, suitable for younger ones.
Thor Sedan

Raggs wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:01 pm
Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 pmFantastic advice on here Raggs. We have just got Quest 2 for the kids (and lets be honest....me as well) for Christmas and I have been umming and ahhing if the experience is going to be able to compare to their cousins VR (PC operated). Seems like it just might!

There's some meditation experiences. Real VR fishing can be very chilled out if you're in a room with friends/nice randoms, and it doesn't tend to draw the noisy bunch too much. Walkabout mini golf is fantastic, and also quite relaxing for the most part (except when you miss an easy putt!).

It's all contained on the headset, you do need the app on your phone though to activate the headset (and you can buy stuff through your phone, or the headset, but need a pin to do it). Obviously as it's pin protected (or can be), you can set it so your kids can't just buy stuff without the pin.

I would strongly recommend setting it up now, since it is a little involved, and can take a little while, and downloading a few free things (rec room, first steps). As I said earlier, if you add me on facebook, I can send you a referral code to do when you activate the headset, and that'll give us both some store credit, enough to get walkabout mini golf and maybe the fishing too (or whatever).

EDIT -Bogo is free too actually, just playing with an alien pet, nice and simple, suitable for younger ones.
Where can I find you on the book of faces?
Raggs

Sent you a pm that should do it.
Thor Sedan

Raggs wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:14 pm Sent you a pm that should do it.
Outstanding - will drop you a line when we set the bugger up.
Raggs

Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:22 pm
Raggs wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:14 pm Sent you a pm that should do it.
Outstanding - will drop you a line when we set the bugger up.
Think you need to do it before, then on setup you use the code.
ASMO

Ashes of Creation is what i am waiting for, if they ever do bloody well release it that is.
JM2K6

Huge red flags with that one. I'll be amazed if it works anything like their marketing claims.
Raggs

AoC strikes me as something you think is a brilliant idea when you're 18, and whilst it's technically possible, when you actually try and implement an economy, and buildings etc etc, you find that it really doesn't work the way you want, especially when you add in people just being arseholes and destroying property/houses in games.

Reminds me a bit of Wurm online. Played that a little, and it had economy, village/building etc.

Anyone else seen the matrix unreal engine 5 demo? I've not played it, but the video is insane, graphics are amazing, to the point that it kept triggering my uncanny valley response. It's offputting, but a real testament to the graphical quality that it looks so close to real.
Insane_Homer

Just upgraded Oculus CV1 to Quest 2.

What games are decent and fun for the whole family?

So far bought Smash Drums - which is fun, but was a bit disappointing - as I wanted a virtual drummer - and this is more like Beat Saber, which required you to stand up and turn around to hit drums coming at you - doesn't do sitting - which is annoying.

Also using it for iRacing (still trying to find sweet spot settings) and ACC but struggling with getting the settings right. ACC looks fucking horrible, but even with the CV1 I was consistent 1-2 secs a lap quicker in VR so will persist.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Raggs

Insane_Homer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:43 am Just upgraded Oculus CV1 to Quest 2.

What games are decent and fun for the whole family?

So far bought Smash Drums - which is fun, but was a bit disappointing - as I wanted a virtual drummer - and this is more like Beat Saber, which required you to stand up and turn around to hit drums coming at you - doesn't do sitting - which is annoying.

Also using it for iRacing (still trying to find sweet spot settings) and ACC but struggling with getting the settings right. ACC looks fucking horrible, but even with the CV1 I was consistent 1-2 secs a lap quicker in VR so will persist.
Look for Paradiddle on the App lab. I've no idea if it's any good, but it is a virtual drumkit.

Walkabout mini golf, you can use practice mode to take turns with just a single headset.

Real VR fishing might appeal to some.

Eleven table tennis as well perhaps.

Rec room can be a screaming mess, but at the same time, you can create profiles for each of the family I believe. It's a lot of fun with a decent group too.

Demeo is like tabletop heroquest game, I guess you could even sort of share the headset for each character on skirmish mode.

Gorilla tag can have a lot of screaming kiddies, but in a good lobby be brilliant fun.

Are you looking for things everyone can play separately, or together? If together, look at Acorn attack of the squirrels (I think), 1 person in the headset, the rest on their phones (think there's a few games like that). Also, Keep talking and nobody explodes, is multiplayer with 1 person in the headset.
Insane_Homer

top man, thanks!
Uncle fester

Busy wandering around the Commonwealth in Fallout 4.
Have about 20 uncompleted quests but much too busy exploring and slaughtering raiders and super mutants to work on those.
Uncle fester

Young lad is at us to get a PlayStation.
Dislike the idea of spending squillions on a PS5 just so he can play Minecraft.

Are there any serious disadvantages to getting a ps4 instead?

I do all my gaming on a PC so it's not biggie if the console can't play the most up-to-date games.
Insane_Homer

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:22 pm Young lad is at us to get a PlayStation.
Dislike the idea of spending squillions on a PS5 just so he can play Minecraft.

Are there any serious disadvantages to getting a ps4 instead?

I do all my gaming on a PC so it's not biggie if the console can't play the most up-to-date games.
PS4 is still great, you can pick one up for under £100 second hand - replace the HDD with an SSD and you'll get 2-3 years out of it and then when he's ready push up to the PS5 or whatever is new by then.
Uncle fester

GameStop have the 1tb for €250.
Better shop around.

Presume they are not being made anymore?
CM11

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:16 pm GameStop have the 1tb for €250.
Better shop around.

Presume they are not being made anymore?
Still being made apparently, due to ps5 chip shortages.
sefton

Steam Deck getting some good reviews, I haven’t had a gaming PC for a few years now but pre-ordered a Deck as I have a big Steam library.
JM2K6

Would need to try it out for myself. The layout for the dpad and buttons does not inspire confidence.
sefton

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:28 pm Would need to try it out for myself. The layout for the dpad and buttons does not inspire confidence.
It looks fine unless you’ve got little hands.
JM2K6

sefton wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:29 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:28 pm Would need to try it out for myself. The layout for the dpad and buttons does not inspire confidence.
It looks fine unless you’ve got little hands.
I have big hands and they look awkwardly placed. I play a lot of fighting games and similar, and most dpads and buttons are pretty bad. Can't trust reviews.
CM11

https://www.theverge.com/22950371/valve ... eck-review

Honest enough review. Not ready but potentially an excellent product.
Yr Alban

CM11 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:46 pm https://www.theverge.com/22950371/valve ... eck-review

Honest enough review. Not ready but potentially an excellent product.
I pre-ordered at the start of the year. Quite excited about the potential.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Ponga

Ive been playing Elden Ring since launch... For all the souls fans it is a must! Combat and difficulty is still there but a few additions reduces the learning curve for the bosses. Summoning other players really makes it feel like a multiplayer but then you are still managing your own world/game.

Im about finished exploring the first area and have 2 bosses that im going to come back for...

Day 4 and the game is everything I'd hoped for :clap:
Uncle fester

Mass Effect LE on humble choice for €10 along with some other games.
Raggs

Uncle fester wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:43 am Mass Effect LE on humble choice for €10 along with some other games.
Fantastic game. Nearly went through it all twice, got distracted near the end of the second run through and didn't finish it, but still put in over 250 hours in total. The first two definitely show their age a bit but still well worth playing through.

The intro to 2 has got to be one of the best intros out there in my mind.
Crash669

Ponga wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:35 am Ive been playing Elden Ring since launch... For all the souls fans it is a must! Combat and difficulty is still there but a few additions reduces the learning curve for the bosses. Summoning other players really makes it feel like a multiplayer but then you are still managing your own world/game.

Im about finished exploring the first area and have 2 bosses that im going to come back for...

Day 4 and the game is everything I'd hoped for :clap:
Glad to hear it's that good. It looked outstanding.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, but since we've got a little one I won't have the time to invest to make it worthwhile, I'll probably get round to it in about 2040 when I next get some free time.

Hades is great if you've not got long to invest in playing. Since you can do a complete run in 20-30 minutes you can dip in and out in a satisfying way. Somehow it still feels fun and engaging on run 150, and they must have recorded hundreds of hours of dialogue since the plot is still developing after the main storyline has finished.
Yr Alban

For anyone who might be interested and has an Amazon Prime account, the remastered Mass Effect trilogy is available for free today as a Prime Day offer.

Sadly it’s not on Steam, but on Origin (the EA platform). But hey, free is free, and there’s a whole lot of game there.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Raggs

Yr Alban wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:27 am For anyone who might be interested and has an Amazon Prime account, the remastered Mass Effect trilogy is available for free today as a Prime Day offer.

Sadly it’s not on Steam, but on Origin (the EA platform). But hey, free is free, and there’s a whole lot of game there.
Fantastic game. Played through almost all the way twice. First time good, second time bad. Second time on the hardest difficulty, but couldn't get past a section (not even storyline, just a sidequest), then needed the hard drive space.
Uncle fester

Yr Alban wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:27 am For anyone who might be interested and has an Amazon Prime account, the remastered Mass Effect trilogy is available for free today as a Prime Day offer.

Free for today only or to keep?

Edit: balls too late.
Raggs

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:58 am

Free for today only or to keep?

Edit: balls too late.
It's only £17 on cdkeys, well worth the money, think I sunk 125 hours into my first run, and probably another 80 or so into the second (maybe even more).
Uncle fester

Anyone tried the Witcher 3 post-update?