Climate Change - Why don't we care?

Where goats go to escape
epwc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68947242

"Environmental campaigners argued that the energy minister signed off the government's climate plan without evidence it could be achieved."

Evidence, who the fuck needs evidence?
Niegs

mat the expat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 am I did one of the first University courses in Environmental Science back in 94.

One of my lecturers was an awesome, tenured Professor of Botany and Meteorology. He was Irish but his drinking was mostly the result of nobody listening to the obvious science........

.... back in 1994. :???:
I was going to say that our premier climate activist, David Suzuki, was probably banging that drum back then too and looked for a clip from the 90s. More interesting, I discovered that his daughter was a proto-Greta in 1992!

Guy Smiley

mat the expat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 am I did one of the first University courses in Environmental Science back in 94.

One of my lecturers was an awesome, tenured Professor of Botany and Meteorology. He was Irish but his drinking was mostly the result of nobody listening to the obvious science........

.... back in 1994. :???:

When I lived i Sydney in the mid to late 80s one of the magazines I regularly read was full of articles about climate change and sustainability. I'm pretty sure the magazine was called Simply Living... it featured stuff like permaculture and early passive house designs way before any of that became anything like 'mainstream'... and of course, I was a tree hugging hippy for even looking at the thing,
Biffer

My work is going to be introducing carbon budgets before too long. I travel a lot (USA three times this year, Europe maybe 6-8 times) so might have an effect on me. But if that means I have to train it to London and get the eurostar, I’m fine with that tbh.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
epwc

Biffer wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:54 am My work is going to be introducing carbon budgets before too long. I travel a lot (USA three times this year, Europe maybe 6-8 times) so might have an effect on me. But if that means I have to train it to London and get the eurostar, I’m fine with that tbh.
I'm travelling a lot more than I have for years (for work), I'm happy if they decide to introduce some kind of charges for frequent flying.
Guy Smiley

Biffer wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:54 am My work is going to be introducing carbon budgets before too long. I travel a lot (USA three times this year, Europe maybe 6-8 times) so might have an effect on me. But if that means I have to train it to London and get the eurostar, I’m fine with that tbh.
I was in the UK in 2012 and caught the Eurostar over to Paris for the finale of the Tour de France, my first experience of high speed rail. I thought it was excellent and I can't see that you'd lose much time over flying on that short trip, depending on where you're off to after that. I realise Brexit might have complicated border crossing since then for UK resident, as a foreign national I had to process through of course but it was a breezy, seamless experience. Great way to go.
Biffer

Guy Smiley wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:00 pm
I was in the UK in 2012 and caught the Eurostar over to Paris for the finale of the Tour de France, my first experience of high speed rail. I thought it was excellent and I can't see that you'd lose much time over flying on that short trip, depending on where you're off to after that. I realise Brexit might have complicated border crossing since then for UK resident, as a foreign national I had to process through of course but it was a breezy, seamless experience. Great way to go.
It's great, yeah, but I've got to get down from Edinburgh first.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Enzedder

Biffer wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:14 pm
Guy Smiley wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:00 pm
It's great, yeah, but I've got to get down from Edinburgh first.
You think YOU have a problem?? :lolno:
I drink and I forget things.
lemonhead

Let's be having the little bits of good news.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -chemicals

Clever idea, hope they can incorporate the used oil.
epwc

Loads and loads of good ideas out there that will get nowhere because the political system does what the lobbyists want
epwc

(Sorry)
lemonhead

We will of course have to wait for some 2012 moment when a whole continent tips over and falls into lava.

But sooner have these in the bank lest there's ever a hint of middle ground between complete apathy and fatalism.

Besides, if there's money to be made someone's going to be interested.
Slick

epwc wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:44 am Loads and loads of good ideas out there that will get nowhere because the political system does what the lobbyists want
I’m working at the moment on a project looking at using Scottish net zero technology in Africa, and specifically in the hydrocarbon sector. Some absolutely amazing stuff, but funding to take it forward is, as usual, the big issue
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
epwc

There’s loads that can be done to reduce demand as well as make supply cleaner, just need govt to push hard to make this our industrial strategy (I know, industrial strategy, in the UK :crazy: ) there’s plenty of money to be made