Climate Change - Why don't we care?

Where goats go to escape
sturginho

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 am
sturginho wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:17 am
Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 am insulted the house
what did you say to it?
dammit, I read that an hour ago and was going to come back to it, you got in there whilst I went to make a coffee :grin:

I like a good typo.
Who cares about climate change when there's such hilarious bantz to be had!
epwc

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 am Reining in rampant consumerism of shit we don't need which has been made in sweatshops on the other side of the world and shipped here in huge container ships and then carried to us daily, sometimes two or three times a day in vans and cars, whilst deliveroo scooters zub around delivering breakfast lunch and tea, that crap is all fairly recent, moving away from that wouldn't be a worse standard
Agree, that is not a better standard of living, there’s a McDonalds just down the road from our old offices, I’ve seen 30+ riders waiting to pick up orders. Cold sweaty McDonald’s is not an indicator of a decent standard of living.

Material stuff means nothing but we believe it does. Happiest man I know died on Saturday he was 87 had just sold his house and bought a static caravan, he said “it’s lovely, but there’s just too much stuff, wardrobes all over the place, fitted kitchen, I don’t need any of it”

I’d say there’s a mental health crisis going on that’s to a large extent driven by the material culture that we’re all trapped by
petej

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am
Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 am Reining in rampant consumerism of shit we don't need which has been made in sweatshops on the other side of the world and shipped here in huge container ships and then carried to us daily, sometimes two or three times a day in vans and cars, whilst deliveroo scooters zub around delivering breakfast lunch and tea, that crap is all fairly recent, moving away from that wouldn't be a worse standard
Agree, that is not a better standard of living, there’s a McDonalds just down the road from our old offices, I’ve seen 30+ riders waiting to pick up orders. Cold sweaty McDonald’s is not an indicator of a decent standard of living.

Material stuff means nothing but we believe it does. Happiest man I know died on Saturday he was 87 had just sold his house and bought a static caravan, he said “it’s lovely, but there’s just too much stuff, wardrobes all over the place, fitted kitchen, I don’t need any of it”

I’d say there’s a mental health crisis going on that’s to a large extent driven by the material culture that we’re all trapped by
Considering what we've learnt about heavily processed foods and their impact on us McDonald's and similar shite is definitely reducing our standard of living.
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 am
I like neeps wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:06 am Every single affluent person in the world would drastically have to change their behaviour and accept a worse standard of living. People aren't in the business of doing that.

People can and do change - we take our own bags to the supermarket, we drive at 20mph in towns, we wear seatbelts, we are gradually moving over to EVs. Reining in rampant consumerism of shit we don't need which has been made in sweatshops on the other side of the world and shipped here in huge container ships and then carried to us daily, sometimes two or three times a day in vans and cars, whilst deliveroo scooters zub around delivering breakfast lunch and tea, that crap is all fairly recent, moving away from that wouldn't be a worse standard of living.

The huge container ships don't go back to China empty handed, in some cases they stop off and pick up staggering amounts of tropical hardwoods in Africa and India and ship them back to China where it's turned into veneers for cheap furniture or knock-off musical instruments
Yeah travel, diet, consumerables, and then streaming and internet usage uses a huge amount of power too. Individual recycling and choses are inconsequential. And I say that as a mostly vegetarian (I eat fish in Scotland), walker, who goes to the refill shop weekly, buys from Oddbox, has a wormery etc etc.

The globalised, capitalist society we live in these days relies on power which for the foreseeable will mostly be fossil fuels. There's no return to the world before engines and as such climate change is inevitable. It's too big to even consider let alone coordinate.
Slick

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:51 am
assfly wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 am The view from my side of the world, where the affects are supposed to be worst felt, are so different to Europe.

It's not a priority. Most people are more concerned with getting a good meal at the end of the day and paying rent.

On that side of the world if there were good governance then there is actually huge potential to leapfrog the west in terms of infrastructure, I believe Kenya is doing ok with regards to ev and solar but there’s plenty could be done.

The problems are pretty much all our side of the world

We’ve created a society where we treat material goods as markers of status and antidepressants, there’s something deeply wrong with us.

Maybe that’s what happens when you take a species that evolved as hunter gatherers/ subsistence farmers and suddenly (in evolutionary terms) every day life is no longer a matter of life or death.
Yes and no. The good governance also has to come from our side. The UK government spent 2 years antagonising a lot of African countries telling them they shouldn't be bringing their oil out of the ground and should be leapfrogging to renewables without offering any significant help and withdrawing support for the hydrocarbon sector. The African governments were pissed off at being told to miss out on what has been an economic game changer for the West, then incredulous when we started giving out our own licenses again.

In saying that, there has been a definite change in attitude at government level across Africa to renewables and net zero in the last 18 months or so as funding has risen and a more cooperative attitude has appeared. As well as this they are actively engaging in seeking technology to reduce the impact of extracting their hydrocarbons which seems to be genuine.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
epwc

The UK government is not an example of good governance
epwc

Climate change is indeed inevitable, we’re living through it, we need to try our hardest to minimise catastrophic climate impacts.
inactionman

Slick wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 am
epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:51 am
assfly wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 am The view from my side of the world, where the affects are supposed to be worst felt, are so different to Europe.

It's not a priority. Most people are more concerned with getting a good meal at the end of the day and paying rent.

On that side of the world if there were good governance then there is actually huge potential to leapfrog the west in terms of infrastructure, I believe Kenya is doing ok with regards to ev and solar but there’s plenty could be done.

The problems are pretty much all our side of the world

We’ve created a society where we treat material goods as markers of status and antidepressants, there’s something deeply wrong with us.

Maybe that’s what happens when you take a species that evolved as hunter gatherers/ subsistence farmers and suddenly (in evolutionary terms) every day life is no longer a matter of life or death.
Yes and no. The good governance also has to come from our side. The UK government spent 2 years antagonising a lot of African countries telling them they shouldn't be bringing their oil out of the ground and should be leapfrogging to renewables without offering any significant help and withdrawing support for the hydrocarbon sector. The African governments were pissed off at being told to miss out on what has been an economic game changer for the West, then incredulous when we started giving out our own licenses again.

In saying that, there has been a definite change in attitude at government level across Africa to renewables and net zero in the last 18 months or so as funding has risen and a more cooperative attitude has appeared. As well as this they are actively engaging in seeking technology to reduce the impact of extracting their hydrocarbons which seems to be genuine.
Just going on geography (eta correction: latitude) and climate, Africa would be ahead just on sheer intensity of sunlight. In the same way as some countries lucked out on the whole fossil fuel deposits (middle east in particular) and some lost (Japan is a glaring example), I'm wondering if some countries are better placed in terms of renewable energy. You'd anticipate countries near the equator would be very keen in general to exploit the high intensity of sunlight and year round consistency in daylight hours.

On that note, Scotland wins hands down on fucking freezing force 8 winds.
Hal Jordan

Yeah but windmills give you cancer and kill a billion birds a week and cost loads.
epwc

Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:40 am Yeah but windmills give you cancer and kill a billion birds a week and cost loads.
Fuck! That’s crazy, they should tell people
sturginho

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 am The UK government is not an example of good governance
That's the understatement of the year!
Guy Smiley

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:47 am
Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:40 am Yeah but windmills give you cancer and kill a billion birds a week and cost loads.
Interesting chat here on how the UK could utilise land based wind and generate twice its energy needs without upsetting the various groups opposed to turbines…

epwc

The solutions are not that hard, but it's the perception that they're going to cost so much money and make our lives so much more difficult.

I live in a Passivhaus (since 2012), brilliant in all respects, it's what turned me into a property man built 3 more since plus 8 apartments, just started work on 20 apartments.

I bought an EV as soon as there was something that worked for me, love it, no more waiting in a queue to pay at a petrol pump, it's been really easy so far (3 years).

Been veggie since 2020, have not missed meat ever.

We bought a farm in 2005, have planted appx 30,000 trees since then, biodiversity off the scale from when we bought it.

No downsides as far as I can see.

Meanwhile I hear loads of people saying that there's not enough electricity, it all costs too much blah blah blah.

We can all do something about climate change, however passionate I am about the situation in Gaza I can do literally fuck all to change it.
Blackmac

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 am
sturginho wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:17 am
Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 am insulted the house
what did you say to it?
dammit, I read that an hour ago and was going to come back to it, you got in there whilst I went to make a coffee :grin:

I like a good typo.
Bugger, just seen it and knew I would get pelters
shaggy

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm The solutions are not that hard, but it's the perception that they're going to cost so much money and make our lives so much more difficult.

I live in a Passivhaus (since 2012), brilliant in all respects, it's what turned me into a property man built 3 more since plus 8 apartments, just started work on 20 apartments.

I bought an EV as soon as there was something that worked for me, love it, no more waiting in a queue to pay at a petrol pump, it's been really easy so far (3 years).

We bought a farm in 2005, have planted appx 30,000 trees since then, biodiversity off the scale from when we bought it.

Meanwhile I hear loads of people saying that there's not enough electricity, it all costs too much blah blah blah.

We can all do something about climate change, however passionate I am about the situation in Gaza I can do literally fuck all to change it.
That doesn’t sound like someone on a UK average wage though.
lemonhead

epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm The solutions are not that hard, but it's the perception that they're going to cost so much money and make our lives so much more difficult.

What sort of land are you working off, what sorts of trees and what are the results?

Always been a huge fan of agroforestry on a small scale; there's also a new book on rewilding out by the owners of the Knepp estate which could give insight on how to build some resilience in the system.
epwc

Agreed but you can buy a pretty decent EV for 20k now, it’s cheaper to be veggie, it really doesn’t cost a lot to sponsor tree planting.

I’m amazed how much people with less disposable income than me spend on shit food via deliveroo, gym subs that they never use, the latest iPhone, Apple Watch etc

I don’t do any of those, nor go on multiple holidays a year, so many people now have no issues with jumping on a plane to get away for a couple of days, it’s bonkers (and nothing to do with how much they earn)
epwc

lemonhead wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 amWhat sort of land are you working off, what sorts of trees and what are the results?

Always been a huge fan of agroforestry on a small scale; there's also a new book on rewilding out by the owners of the Knepp estate which could give insight on how to build some resilience in the system.
We’ve got 58 acres, pretty much solid clay. It was cut for hay for decades before we bought it. Because we were going to be changing the system completely I got in all sorts of advisers to ensure there was nothing there worth protecting. They were all amazed at the lack of diversity, I think the guy from Essex Wildlife Trust counted 4 species of grass, last time I checked we had most of the ones we’d expect here.

Initially plan was to plant orchards and I’d run it as a (small) commercial entity, but we had huge issues in our business, 2010-2014 was touch and go whether we’d survive so never got to cut down my work days.

We planted
400 apples
400 plums
100 cherries
100 apricot
100 pears
200 hazel/cobnut
100 walnuts
100 chestnuts
100 heart nuts (waste of time)
100 almonds (waste of time)
10 species of pine nut

As well as mulberries, peaches, loquats, figs, quince, medlar, grapes

2 km of mixed hedging
600 metres wind breaks

Plus lots of random trees dotted about and rewilding of quite a lot of land.

Agroforestry was definitely part of my thinking but in practice I just didn’t have the time, and unless you’re selling your produce direct there’s no money to be made. In the end I used to sell at charity events or donate produce directly to a mission in Whitechapel that feeds 600 people daily.

Climate change means it’s almost impossible to establish tres here now, the ground is still sopping wet but we’re past the end of the planting season, and if the rain stops we’ll probably go straight into drought.
Paddington Bear

sturginho wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 pm
epwc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 am The UK government is not an example of good governance
That's the understatement of the year!
Their big issue with this is their inability to properly commit to anything. With the railways they put them through years of consultations, re-jig the route and scope multiple times, forensic planning repeatedly then cancel chunks of it a decade down the line as it’s got too hard and expensive. Military procurement much the same.
We’d be much better working out what the minimum viable product is, and just fast tracking the building of it. Good is better than perfect.

In an ideal world they’d have a rolling programme of wind and nuclear energy. Instead, we’re in a position where a British company could design the first workable SMR and we’ll be the last to use it.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Slick

epwc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 am
lemonhead wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 amWhat sort of land are you working off, what sorts of trees and what are the results?

We’ve got 58 acres, pretty much solid clay. It was cut for hay for decades before we bought it. Because we were going to be changing the system completely I got in all sorts of advisers to ensure there was nothing there worth protecting. They were all amazed at the lack of diversity, I think the guy from Essex Wildlife Trust counted 4 species of grass, last time I checked we had most of the ones we’d expect here.

Initially plan was to plant orchards and I’d run it as a (small) commercial entity, but we had huge issues in our business, 2010-2014 was touch and go whether we’d survive so never got to cut down my work days.

We planted
400 apples
400 plums
100 cherries
100 apricot
100 pears
200 hazel/cobnut
100 walnuts
100 chestnuts
10 species of pine nut

2 km of mixed hedging
600 metres wind breaks

Agroforestry was definitely part of my thinking but in practice I just didn’t have the time, and unless you’re selling your produce direct there’s no money to be made. In the end I used to sell at charity events or donate produce directly to a mission in Whitechapel that feeds 600 people daily.

Climate change means it’s almost impossible to establish tres here now, the ground is still sopping wet but we’re past the end of the planting season, and if the rain stops we’ll probably go straight into drought.
epwc is Globus and I claim my 8 foot Veuve Clicquot garden fountain.
epwc

Is globus still alive? He was very ill wasn’t he?

I wouldn’t mind trying brain surgery on some people but no I’m not him

I just generally have no filter when I’m talking though.
lemonhead

epwc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 am

We planted
400 apples
400 plums
100 cherries
100 apricot
100 pears
200 hazel/cobnut
100 walnuts
100 chestnuts
10 species of pine nut

2 km of mixed hedging
600 metres wind breaks

Yep, clay is....clay. With all the joy of trudging through in the depths of winter when it steals your boot and more apt to give you an ankle injury in summer. Non native nuts like hickory and almond just don't seem to thrive here, maybe it's the maritime climate. Which itself is changing so who knows. Anecdotally someone set up a vineyard near our family home in Ireland and got absolutely nowhere, ripped the lot up and planted apples for calvados.

Kudos btw. Know the square root of feck all about farming but agree, on a larger scale it probably pays dividends to follow agroforestry principles (companion planting, nitrogen fixers, coppice/pollard, pollination etc.) than to base such a large area on a commercial basis. A lot of detail down to the micro level, far more attuned in the UK towards individuals with their own private plot or allotment to add extras while still driving down the local Asda (Waitrose more like). If anything there's a PR angle to it. Connecting more with nature and how it works. Having seen what commercial farming does to the soil and given how much acreage is in private hands I sometimes wish we were a bit more like Italy where they've done so much in places with so much less. Folk like Andy Cato hopefully have the potential to bring this into the mainstream.
epwc

Some cunts will buy this because it's good for the planet:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... luxury-4x4

"The G580 also features a new aerodynamically sculpted bonnet, resulting in a drag coefficient of 0.44, down from 0.48Cd for the latest G450d, and 0.53Cd for the previous-generation G."

Flipping ridiculous!
epwc

lemonhead wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pmFolk like Andy Cato hopefully have the potential to bring this into the mainstream.
Not heard of him, who's he?

I have a friend in Sheffield who over decades has been guerilla planting trees on all sorts of untended bits of land, you don't even need to own any land to do something useful.
Guy Smiley

epwc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:56 pm Is globus still alive? He was very ill wasn’t he?

:lol: :thumbup:

I'd forgotten so much... the brain surgery :lol:
lemonhead

epwc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 pm
lemonhead wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pmFolk like Andy Cato hopefully have the potential to bring this into the mainstream.

I have a friend in Sheffield who over decades has been guerilla planting trees on all sorts of untended bits of land, you don't even need to own any land to do something useful.
One half of Groove Armada, who's since traded decks for diggers. Very briefly met them a long way back as their sound engineer was a family friend but couldn't believe the turnaround when I read up on him recently.

Meaning to get over to Sheffield to see some of Nigel Dunnett's work. Big emphasis on planting to soak up excess rainwater and bring the heat island effect down. It'll never be Singapore or Bosco Verticale but a really interesting area of research, and badly needed as temperatures ramp up.
SaintK

epwc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:56 pm Is globus still alive? He was very ill wasn’t he?

You are certainly not Globus
He was always talking about himself and boasting of what he had done repeatedly ad nauseum.
Not sure he was muslim either, though he was a chorister at Norwich Cathedral if that qualifies :wink:
lemonhead

More here

Think the book he's referencing is An Agricultural Testament.
petej

lemonhead wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm

One half of Groove Armada, who's since traded decks for diggers. Very briefly met them a long way back as their sound engineer was a family friend but couldn't believe the turnaround when I read up on him recently.

Meaning to get over to Sheffield to see some of Nigel Dunnett's work. Big emphasis on planting to soak up excess rainwater and bring the heat island effect down. It'll never be Singapore or Bosco Verticale but a really interesting area of research, and badly needed as temperatures ramp up.

I do find the over focus on purely carbon emissions irritating at times. Things like heat Islands and just concreting everything getting rid of trees can have large impacts etc..
epwc

Interesting, I’ll look him up.

All the stuff like heat islands etc is just so basic it’s unbelievable, why our built environment isn’t planned together with landscaping is beyond me. (Well it is but, landscape architects design shit that will never work, and planning officers are too dumb or busy to question what’s submitted)
Slick

Oh that’s brought back a few hazy memories of Lovebox in Victoria Park…. Happy daze
fishfoodie

Slick wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:37 pm
epwc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:07 pm
Slick wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:42 pmLorne sausage and bacon are my 1%....
Never tried it but so often tempted by a bacon sarnie
Don’t , it’s a slippery slope!

As an aside, I don’t think I know a Jewish person in the U.K. that doesn’t enjoy a secret bacon sarnie
:lol:

An Israeli guy I worked with came over to Ireland one time, & when we went to breakfast in the canteen, he spotted the black pudding & asked what it was ..... once we explained, he put about five slices on his plate :mrgreen:

He was a lot easier to feed than some of the guys who visited
epwc

Black pudding? No chance :sick:
Raggs

fishfoodie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 pm
epwc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:07 pm

Never tried it but so often tempted by a bacon sarnie

As an aside, I don’t think I know a Jewish person in the U.K. that doesn’t enjoy a secret bacon sarnie

An Israeli guy I worked with came over to Ireland one time, & when we went to breakfast in the canteen, he spotted the black pudding & asked what it was ..... once we explained, he put about five slices on his plate :mrgreen:

My wife can resist bacon sandwiches, though she makes delicious ones (fries the bread in the bacon fat!). She does however swear that proper pork scratchings must be kosher. She only does it culturally though.

As for trying to be green, we have an electric car, just had solar panels and a battery installed, use a green electricity supplier, and have pretty good insulation installed. Looking at trying to get an air source heat pump, not sure we'll manage it in this house though.

Yes, individuals can help, but in the end, it's businesses/governments that need to be reigned in.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
epwc

Despite the government there is good news to be had:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... record-low
fishfoodie

Raggs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 pm
fishfoodie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 pm

My wife can resist bacon sandwiches, though she makes delicious ones (fries the bread in the bacon fat!). She does however swear that proper pork scratchings must be kosher. She only does it culturally though.

As for trying to be green, we have an electric car, just had solar panels and a battery installed, use a green electricity supplier, and have pretty good insulation installed. Looking at trying to get an air source heat pump, not sure we'll manage it in this house though.

Yes, individuals can help, but in the end, it's businesses/governments that need to be reigned in.
I was a bit gobsmacked when I discovered the Vegan approved logo in Tayto's Bacon "flavoured" crisps; it goes to show what you can achieve with those E numbers !
fishfoodie

To get back to the topic on hand, there was ann interesting survey, in Ireland, to coincide with Earth day; while you'd generally expect the responses to be along the lines of people wanting things done, but not wanting to be inconvenienced themselves, the commentator I was listening to pointed out that the respondants were in favour of things like rural residents getting larger grants for EVs, because they were more dependant on cars, versus pulic transport, & also being in favor of helping the agricultural sector getting more help, despite it being less financially significant to the overall Irish economy, but disporportionatly so to the rural economy.

He also mentioned that people were in favour of grants for home improvement going towards those in danger of fuel poverty; which absolutely makes sense in every Country.

The overall message was that there's more solidaity between the urban & rural dwellers, & generally between the haves, & have nots. than you may think !

The problem is that the vested interests have lobby groups, & they scare the middle ground Politicians, & on the edges you have the pricks playing culture war games.
MungoMan

Guy Smiley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:39 pm

:lol: :thumbup:

I'd forgotten so much... the brain surgery :lol:
And here was I blaming the drink.
Gumboot

It's bollocks, birds aren't even real. They're robots created by the Deep State to monitor and control the population. According to my research, they "perch" on power lines to recharge their batteries.
Kiwias

Won't anyone think of the whales??

https://packaged-media.redd.it/g099vd9w ... 450956#t=0