The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
Big D

Some terrific golf. Mainly from Europe but some from the USA.

Cantlay just made about the biggest mistake you can make in foursomes. Opponents in the weeds and he hits it into the water.
Insane_Homer

3 up, 3 up, 4 up, 2 up :thumbup:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Big D

Top pair are -6 thru 13 but the other Euro teams are just staying out the Americans way and letting them miss.
dpedin

Every time Europe look in trouble they pull out a stunning recovery, terrific. US guys must be pissed off.
Thor Sedan

This is a bloodbath already.

The US players look completely undercooked???
Big D

Thor Sedan wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:47 am This is a bloodbath already.

The US players look completely undercooked???
Burns was a terrible pick. He was shocking.
Insane_Homer

at the first tee commentary they were saying most of the USA team has not played in a month. :crazy:

can't lose the top 2 games now, 4 up with 4 to play :thumbup:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Thor Sedan

On a separate note - the chants of 'ole ole' are not at all going to get annoying.
Insane_Homer

first 2 points in the bag by 10am - top 2 bring it home 4 & 3 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Insane_Homer

4-0

Europe win 22 holes, USA 10
Boom-Clipboard.png
Boom-Clipboard.png (153.21 KiB) Viewed 879 times
dpedin

What a shot on par 3 17th by Rory! Us must have thought they were in with a chance hitting it to tricky pin and about 12 feet away then Rory hits a screamer to 3 feet! US lunchtime will be a depressing affair - too many of their players not at the races today.
Thor Sedan

I suppose the US can maybe think that they can only play better and that Europe have likely played their best golf already?

Think this might get embarrassing though - the US don't look up for this at all.
sturginho

Do I have it right that Europe have never swept a session 4-0 before?
Biffer

sturginho wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:48 pm Do I have it right that Europe have never swept a session 4-0 before?
No. They've done it three times previously I think
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Biffer

Xander Schauffele has scored par at each of the first five holes today. He's four down after five. Fitzpatrick so far is par, birdie, birdie, birdie, eagle.

Edit - add another birdie for Fitzpatrick on the 6th and him and McIlroy are 5 up after 6 (another par for Schauffele)
Insane_Homer

1 UP, Tied, 1 UP, 6 UP
Biffer

John Rahm, bloody amazing
Big D

Think Bob can lie in tomorrow knowing he isn't playing.
sturginho

6 1/2 - 1 1/2 :crazy:
Insane_Homer

Fuck yeah 👍

Rosie denies USA a win on the opening day.

6.5 to 1.5
Biffer

Not a single bit of red on the card on the first day.
sturginho

Biffer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:38 pm Not a single bit of red on the card on the first day.
:spin

Rose on the radio congratulates Bob for being unbeaten in Ryder cups :clap:
Biffer

Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm Think Bob can lie in tomorrow knowing he isn't playing.
Donald’s done the right thing, everyone plays on the day. I reckon he’ll do that again tomorrow.

Big question is does he have guys playing all five games? That rarely works out that well. Think he might ask Rahm to but that might be it. Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick, Lowry will play morning and afternoon tomorrow.
Biffer

sturginho wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:48 pm Do I have it right that Europe have never swept a session 4-0 before?
Further to the answer above, it’s the first time they’ve swept the opening session.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:45 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm Think Bob can lie in tomorrow knowing he isn't playing.
Donald’s done the right thing, everyone plays on the day. I reckon he’ll do that again tomorrow.

Big question is does he have guys playing all five games? That rarely works out that well. Think he might ask Rahm to but that might be it. Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick, Lowry will play morning and afternoon tomorrow.
I think the same. McIntyre and Hoojgard were a bit mixed but neither were disastrous and both contributed. McIntyre seemed to struggle under a strategy of going for everything whist Rose played for consistency. This was obviously on Rose's instruction.

I think the yanks have too many players on sketchy form who have either qualified through one good month during the qualifying period or been selected on past reputation.
Only Scheffler, Thomas and Koepka really competed today and you actually felt sorry for Scotty.
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm Think Bob can lie in tomorrow knowingr he isn't playing.
Bet he does. He was even par on his own ball and actually didn't figure in only a couple of holes. He won't get a game in the foursomes but I think he will get put out with one of the form players in the fourballs.
Biffer

Blackmac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:36 pm

I think the same. McIntyre and Hoojgard were a bit mixed but neither were disastrous and both contributed. McIntyre seemed to struggle under a strategy of going for everything whist Rose played for consistency. This was obviously on Rose's instruction.

I think the yanks have too many players on sketchy form who have either qualified through one good month during the qualifying period or been selected on past reputation.
Only Scheffler, Thomas and Koepka really competed today and you actually felt sorry for Scotty.
Most of them haven’t played for five weeks. That’s a ridiculous way to prepare.
Blackmac

Koepka stirring it up saying Rahm acted like a child on the course. Just as you think he is reforming a bit he is back to his cuntish self.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:39 pm

Most of them haven’t played for five weeks. That’s a ridiculous way to prepare.
I couldn't believe that. Shocking decision.
Big D

Bob might play due to resting guys but objectively he was poor today. Rose had his score count on 15 holes and Bob 8 (only 4 by his own score).

His shots gained show that. Even allowing going for everything it was -4.3 which was second worst by a distance. The worst was Spieth by a mile, so God knows why he is being put out first in foursomes.
Last edited by Big D on Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Blackmac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:39 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm Think Bob can lie in tomorrow knowingr he isn't playing.
Bet he does. He was even par on his own ball and actually didn't figure in only a couple of holes. He won't get a game in the foursomes but I think he will get put out with one of the form players in the fourballs.
He might if they rest players. Even par on 13 holes where his score was taken. You're giving him a lot of putts and not counting a certain bogey on 17. His putting by his own admission was poor today.
Big D

https://datagolf.com/ryder-cup/strokes-gained

Phenomenal day from Rahm and Hovland.
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:27 pm
He might if they rest players. Even par on 13 holes where his score was taken. You're giving him a lot of putts and not counting a certain bogey on 17. His putting by his own admission was poor today.
That's an odd way to think about it. I would suggest that a lot of players only get played in a competition like this to rest players. It's a team strategy, especially on a tiring course like this so rotation is essential, otherwise just pick the top 8 players every day. I personally think Donald won't want anyone playing 5 matches if he can get away with it.
Big D

Blackmac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:36 pm

That's an odd way to think about it. I would suggest that a lot of players only get played in a competition like this to rest players. It's a team strategy, especially on a tiring course like this so rotation is essential, otherwise just pick the top 8 players every day. I personally think Donald won't want anyone playing 5 matches if he can get away with it.
It's not that odd really though when considering performance today. Bob was the weakest European player today by a significant statistical distance.

Bob is one of my favourite players but it is undeniable how poorly he played today
sturginho

It's even got a mention on the Italian news
sturginho

Biffer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:27 pm
Further to the answer above, it’s the first time they’ve swept the opening session.
Ah, perhaps that's what I heard and misunderstood
Big D

sturginho wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm It's even got a mention on the Italian news
Course has been great for matchplay. The last three holes have lots of scope for drama.
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm

It's not that odd really though when considering performance today. Bob was the weakest European player today by a significant statistical distance.

Bob is one of my favourite players but it is undeniable how poorly he played today
No doubt about that. His career has shown so far that he dips in and out of form and I think this Ryder Cup has sadly come in a dip, however if we gain parity in the morning I think Donald will definitely feel comfortable enough to put him out in the afternoon with one of the bigger names knowing it could be good for his confidence ahead of the singles.
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:58 pm
sturginho wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm It's even got a mention on the Italian news
Course has been great for matchplay. The last three holes have lots of scope for drama.
The Italian Open coverage over the years has never really highlighted the quality of the opening 9 either. Just a spectacular match play setting.
Biffer

Blackmac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:30 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm

No doubt about that. His career has shown so far that he dips in and out of form and I think this Ryder Cup has sadly come in a dip, however if we gain parity in the morning I think Donald will definitely feel comfortable enough to put him out in the afternoon with one of the bigger names knowing it could be good for his confidence ahead of the singles.
One of his weaknesses is that he often has a bad round in a tournament - you often see his scores as 70-69-78-68 or similar.

Donald won’t discard anyone on the basis of a single round, I don’t think. Everyone will play again tomorrow.