The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
Blackmac

TedMaul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:27 am I played the great Chicago courses this summer (Chicago Golf Club, Old Elm, Glenview and Shoreacres and your description of US courses could not be further from the réalite.

But you have just listed a group of great, traditional courses that are an absolute joy for the average amateur but will be totally overwhelmed by the top amateurs and pro's and that's exactly the problem. Unless they trick them up, lengthen them outrageously, then most of the great courses are not suitable for the modern top golfers.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:14 am
Blackmac wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 am Welcome to Liv, John Rahm, here's your bag of cash but you can leave your integrity at the door. 😂
I wonder what part of the $450m made him change his mind?

Seriously is the LIV anywhere near making money for the backers or is it just another example of sports washing ?
I don't think it matters if it makes any money with the budget they have. I have no real issue with these guys taking the money, it's just the level of hypocrisy and bullshit that some of them come out with that's laughable. At least the likes of DJ, Brookes and HV111 have been honest but Rahm now saying he wants to grow the game and to build a team brand similar to Athletico Madrid. Fuck right off.
dpedin

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:42 am
TedMaul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:27 am I played the great Chicago courses this summer (Chicago Golf Club, Old Elm, Glenview and Shoreacres and your description of US courses could not be further from the réalite.
Try some of the courses on West side of Maui. Flat and open does not describe them!!
To be fair my golf in US has mostly been limited to Florida and South Carolina, played about 50+ courses and base my descriptions on them. Every course has an island green par 3, a par 5 around a lake, a dogleg short par 4, a lake on 18th hole with a big fountain in the middle, big fairway bunkers or waste areas with about 12" of lip on them and usually huge greens that are mostly flat and run fast. Almost all have big flat straight fairways with cart path down the side, occasionally some have an Eisenhower tree in the middle, tree lined fairways with lots of pine needles underneath them, 5 sets of tees from 5,500 to 7,200+ yards and the occasional mounding at the sides of the fairways to provide definition.

Renaissance course in Gullane, the site of the Scottish Open, is essentially an American course built on links land. It has been plonked into the middle of Scotland and isn't a links course. It was built with US money and is designed to give rich Americans want they want in a golf course ie big flat fairways, etc. but in Scotland. Despite all the money spent there and the posh surroundings it isn't anywhere near my top ten courses in East of Scotland let alone in Scotland.

Dont get me wrong I love playing golf in America and our trips have been brilliant fun but most of the courses do blend into one another. They are what they are and we enjoy playing them but it is all about hitting it as far as you can off the tee, avoiding the lake on the left/right and then gouge it out of semi rough into big flat greens. Hopefully the pulling back of ball distances will bring back into play the more unique and quirky courses in UK, Ireland and Europe and avoid the ongoing quest to make existing courses longer like they had to do with the Old Course.
Jim Lahey

Blackmac wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:56 pm
Blackmac wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 am Welcome to Liv, John Rahm, here's your bag of cash but you can leave your integrity at the door. 😂

Seriously is the LIV anywhere near making money for the backers or is it just another example of sports washing ?
I don't think it matters if it makes any money with the budget they have. I have no real issue with these guys taking the money, it's just the level of hypocrisy and bullshit that some of them come out with that's laughable. At least the likes of DJ, Brookes and HV111 have been honest but Rahm now saying he wants to grow the game and to build a team brand similar to Athletico Madrid. Fuck right off.
How long do we reckon before Rory breaks ranks and takes the money?

I'd give him a week. He's probably on the phone to Greg as I write this tbf.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Blackmac

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:50 pm
Blackmac wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:56 pm

How long do we reckon before Rory breaks ranks and takes the money?

I'd give him a week. He's probably on the phone to Greg as I write this tbf.
He's backed himself into a huge corner. Actually said he would rather retire. Difficult to spin yourself out of that without your reputation taking a shattering blow.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:58 pm
Try some of the courses on West side of Maui. Flat and open does not describe them!!
To be fair my golf in US has mostly been limited to Florida and South Carolina, played about 50+ courses and base my descriptions on them. Every course has an island green par 3, a par 5 around a lake, a dogleg short par 4, a lake on 18th hole with a big fountain in the middle, big fairway bunkers or waste areas with about 12" of lip on them and usually huge greens that are mostly flat and run fast. Almost all have big flat straight fairways with cart path down the side, occasionally some have an Eisenhower tree in the middle, tree lined fairways with lots of pine needles underneath them, 5 sets of tees from 5,500 to 7,200+ yards and the occasional mounding at the sides of the fairways to provide definition.

Renaissance course in Gullane, the site of the Scottish Open, is essentially an American course built on links land. It has been plonked into the middle of Scotland and isn't a links course. It was built with US money and is designed to give rich Americans want they want in a golf course ie big flat fairways, etc. but in Scotland. Despite all the money spent there and the posh surroundings it isn't anywhere near my top ten courses in East of Scotland let alone in Scotland.

Dont get me wrong I love playing golf in America and our trips have been brilliant fun but most of the courses do blend into one another. They are what they are and we enjoy playing them but it is all about hitting it as far as you can off the tee, avoiding the lake on the left/right and then gouge it out of semi rough into big flat greens. Hopefully the pulling back of ball distances will bring back into play the more unique and quirky courses in UK, Ireland and Europe and avoid the ongoing quest to make existing courses longer like they had to do with the Old Course.
I remember looking forward to watching the Walker Cup at Seminole and thinking exactly what you are saying. Wide open course with the only protection being tricked up green complexes. It was no fun watching top amateurs endlessly chipping and putting back and forward across greens.
Biffer

Agree with you about Renaissance. I moan every year to my mates that it’s not a links course, mainly due to all the trees. There are a few good holes on it - 10, 11, 13, 17 as they’re numbered for the Scottish Open, but a lot of it is up and down military stuff. Not the greatest for viewpoints when you’re on the course watching either.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
TedMaul

Archerfield equally suspect. North Berwick is the jewel on that coast if you can’t finagle a game at HCEG
Blackmac

TedMaul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:03 pm Archerfield equally suspect. North Berwick is the jewel on that coast if you can’t finagle a game at HCEG
Yeah, North Berwick is very special and even the best would find it difficult in a wind.
Muirfield is just great and for all their alleged stuffiness it is actually quite accessible and they open it up every year for the police/retired police to play their golf finals.
TedMaul

That’s fantastic I didn’t know that. When the gate clangs behind you it symbolises a little adventure has started!
dpedin

Global warming having an effect on my golf course - closed yet again due to being waterlogged. Most other courses nearby are also closed due to volume of rain we have seen. At my course we replaced all the greens about 8-10 years ago to USGA standards, at great expense, and they have stood up well to the wet conditions but, with the amount of rain we have had this autumn/winter, the fairways and bunkers are struggling to cope. Water table seems very high at the moment. Course is also getting a bit cut up when open due to footfall and green staff are having to reroute players on every hole to move traffic away from certain areas. We have had mats in play since November. The perils of winter golf I suppose?

Playing Gullane No1 on Friday so that should be nice a dry and weather so far looks ok. Played there a month ago and even at this time of year their greens were fast and true, looking forward to it.
dpedin

Biffer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:56 pm

Agree with you about Renaissance. I moan every year to my mates that it’s not a links course, mainly due to all the trees. There are a few good holes on it - 10, 11, 13, 17 as they’re numbered for the Scottish Open, but a lot of it is up and down military stuff. Not the greatest for viewpoints when you’re on the course watching either.
For me I would rather play the following courses, in no particular order, instead of Renaissance. all are within 20-30 minutes of Renaissance - apart from Goswick which is about an hour away:

- Gullane No1
- Gullane No2
- North Berwick West Links
- The Glen
- Archerfield Fidra
- Archerfield Dirleton
- Luffness New
- Goswick
- Kilspindie
- Muirfield

I have played all the above courses in the last few years and for me the best course of the above was the West Links at North Berwick. It is a cracking traditional links course now in top class condition and has some of the quirkiest holes in golf, great fun day out. Muirfield was also a great course obviously but I found it difficult and like Luffness New a bit stuffy in the clubhouse. Luffness New however did have the best wine list! Gullane No2 is also a great quirky layout which I love and Kilspindie is also a favorite for a quick 3 hour round and a very welcoming clubhouse with the best Cullen Skink around! Goswick is also a great links course a bit further down the coast and just across the border - it is very traditional, very friendly clubhouse and some fantastic links golf and all for a very reasonable price. Renaissance was just a soulless posh mans country club and didn't really feel like a golf club to me.
TedMaul

We are lucky at my place that even though close to London it’s chalk/gravel base in the main so only shut twice so far this season. When shut I zip up to Hunstanton so it might blow but the turf is always firm.
TedMaul

dpedin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:36 pm

For me I would rather play the following courses, in no particular order, instead of Renaissance. all are within 20-30 minutes of Renaissance - apart from Goswick which is about an hour away:

- Gullane No1
- Gullane No2
- The Glen
- Archerfield Fidra
- Archerfield Dirleton
- Luffness New
- Goswick
- Kilspindie
- Muirfield

I have played all the above courses in the last few years and for me the best course of the above was the West Links at North Berwick. It is a cracking traditional links course now in top class condition and has some of the quirkiest holes in golf, great fun day out. Muirfield was also a great course obviously but I found it difficult and like Luffness New a bit stuffy in the clubhouse. Luffness New however did have the best wine list! Gullane No2 is also a great quirky layout which I love and Kilspindie is also a favorite for a quick 3 hour round and a very welcoming clubhouse with the best Cullen Skink around! Goswick is also a great links course a bit further down the coast and just across the border - it is very traditional, very friendly clubhouse and some fantastic links golf and all for a very reasonable price. Renaissance was just a soulless posh mans country club and didn't really feel like a golf club to me.
I’m drinking what you’re pouring here. Was having a drink at NB and someone made the mistake of mentioning the Renaissance to the er…. ‘traditional’ member who was pulling hard on his huge G&T. Without even looking up ‘pointless place’.
dpedin

TedMaul wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:39 pm We are lucky at my place that even though close to London it’s chalk/gravel base in the main so only shut twice so far this season. When shut I zip up to Hunstanton so it might blow but the turf is always firm.
Never played Huntsanton but it looks fantastic and I have heard good reports. Worth a visit I presume?
Biffer

- Gullane No1
- Gullane No2
- The Glen
- Archerfield Fidra
- Archerfield Dirleton
- Luffness New
- Goswick
- Kilspindie
- Muirfield

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, for the Scottish Open, most of them will never be available. When it was at Gullane, it was brilliant, but the members hated it because they couldn't get on the course for a long time before the tournament. Scottish Open seems to be at Archer field for the next three years at least, and it's easy to access from Edinburgh, so hopefully they'll make some more improvements to the spectator facilities in the next few years.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:19 pm Global warming having an effect on my golf course - closed yet again due to being waterlogged. Most other courses nearby are also closed due to volume of rain we have seen. At my course we replaced all the greens about 8-10 years ago to USGA standards, at great expense, and they have stood up well to the wet conditions but, with the amount of rain we have had this autumn/winter, the fairways and bunkers are struggling to cope. Water table seems very high at the moment. Course is also getting a bit cut up when open due to footfall and green staff are having to reroute players on every hole to move traffic away from certain areas. We have had mats in play since November. The perils of winter golf I suppose?

Playing Gullane No1 on Friday so that should be nice a dry and weather so far looks ok. Played there a month ago and even at this time of year their greens were fast and true, looking forward to it.
I play the Gullane courses regularly as my mate is a member. Always in good condition but he justifiably complains that the greens staff spend too much time on greens and bunkers and have allowed the fairways and green surrounds to become quite scruffy. The courses are generally great but he has a point and there are a lot of weeds and wild grasses on a lot of the fairways.
TedMaul

dpedin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:05 pm
TedMaul wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:39 pm We are lucky at my place that even though close to London it’s chalk/gravel base in the main so only shut twice so far this season. When shut I zip up to Hunstanton so it might blow but the turf is always firm.
Never played Huntsanton but it looks fantastic and I have heard good reports. Worth a visit I presume?
Absolutely. Brancaster too. Lovely place to merge a family trip too. Hunstanton is inarguably a stronger test but Brancaster has a real charm. Tip me the wink if you decide to visit.
Deveron Boy

- Gullane No1
- Gullane No2
- The Glen
- Archerfield Fidra
- Archerfield Dirleton
- Luffness New
- Goswick
- Kilspindie
- Muirfield

No love for Dunbar?
dpedin

Deveron Boy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:41 pm

- Gullane No1
- Gullane No2
- The Glen
- Archerfield Fidra
- Archerfield Dirleton
- Luffness New
- Goswick
- Kilspindie
- Muirfield

No love for Dunbar?
Aaaarrggghhhh! Forget about Dunbar, I have a few mates who are members too and have played it many times. It must be the memories of trying to play the 11th and 12th back into a strong wind that made me block it out of my memory. I really like Dunbar as well, another cracking links golf course right next to the sea. Once the new clubhouse development gets done it will be even better.
dpedin

Bit breezy at Gullane today, when is it not? Otherwise a beautiful day playing No1 only spoiled by a dose of the s***ks in the middle of the round. Couple of birdies and a couple of disasters but good fun. As expected the greens were running fast and true. I was astonished at the amount of water still on the course, one of my mates who is a member said he had never seen the course so wet with lots of bunkers full of water. Unusually for me I was only in a couple of bunkers and one of them was GUR. Clubhouse was mobbed for lunch. Not a bad day out for mid December!
dpedin

Mate tells me Bob McIntyre was doing a Tour of all the schools in Oban this week with the Ryder Cup and doing Q&As with all the kids plus signing balls, hats, etc. He also did a meeting at the Glencruitten Golf Club for members. This is on top of the party he threw in the church hall not long after the Ryder Cup victory. All in all he is well liked in Oban and he does more than his bit for the local community. However next year he is going to base himself more in the states and has got himself a base somewhere in Florida, hopefully he realizes he has all the attributes to make it big and is going to give it a real go over the next few years. As much as he likes Oban it is not the best base for travel nor for access to world class practice facilities.
Blackmac

Off to Spain for our golf trip this year after 14 years in Turkey. I've been pushing for it for some time now as I've felt we should explore more options and the Russian issue in Turkey has become a complete pain in the arse with the ignorant bastards wrecking the hotel atmosphere.

Staying near Marbella and playing Torreqebrada, Rio Rial, Santana, Santa Maria and La Cala Asia.

Really looking forward to it.
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:56 am Off to Spain for our golf trip this year after 14 years in Turkey. I've been pushing for it for some time now as I've felt we should explore more options and the Russian issue in Turkey has become a complete pain in the arse with the ignorant bastards wrecking the hotel atmosphere.

Staying near Marbella and playing Torreqebrada, Rio Rial, Santana, Santa Maria and La Cala Asia.

Played all three courses at La Cala - the Asia course is very nice indeed and was in excellent condition when we played there. Enjoyed playing all the courses but the food from the golfers bar was pretty poor and I wouldn't advise eating there, a few drinks after the round and then eat elsewhere.
Biffer

Looks like the Phoenix Open was a bit, well, Special.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:08 pm Looks like the Phoenix Open was a bit, well, Special.
I really don't know what they expected. Billy Herschel seems one of the most laid back guys around and it looked like he was going to explode a few times.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 am
Blackmac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:56 am Off to Spain for our golf trip this year after 14 years in Turkey. I've been pushing for it for some time now as I've felt we should explore more options and the Russian issue in Turkey has become a complete pain in the arse with the ignorant bastards wrecking the hotel atmosphere.

Played all three courses at La Cala - the Asia course is very nice indeed and was in excellent condition when we played there. Enjoyed playing all the courses but the food from the golfers bar was pretty poor and I wouldn't advise eating there, a few drinks after the round and then eat elsewhere.
The courses in Turkey are superb but other than maybe the National or Faldo courses they don't ask that many questions other than long straight drives followed by long straight approaches. Having looked at the Spanish courses they appear to have a bit more character and look like they will be very good fun.
TB63

dpedin

She needed to keep her elbows tucked in ...

Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:50 am She needed to keep her elbows tucked in ...

Having watched her hit the first one, why, unless you yourself are a PGA coach, would you think you should offer her advice. Especially "swing faster". 😂
TedMaul

Just come back from a few days at La Manga. The West Course is a real conundrum but I love it. Also the Scabetti has the best pizzas I’ve had forever.
Sandstorm

Blackmac wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:02 pm
dpedin wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:50 am She needed to keep her elbows tucked in ...

Having watched her hit the first one, why, unless you yourself are a PGA coach, would you think you should offer her advice. Especially "swing faster". 😂
Word. Just stand back and stare at her bum for the next hour. No need to say anything.
dpedin

Frustrating time of the year now! Weather improving, at least up here in Embra, and light till 5.30pm but every course is still on mats and busy doing greens maintenance in anticipation for the coming season! Played yesterday on a mix of temps and greens just been punched and sanded. Off down to Kilspindie today so at least the greens will be good but mats on fairways and first cut. I know that it is essential for courses to do this maintenance and we will benefit from their hard work in a few weeks time etc but after a long dark winter folk, or at least me, are desperate to play on a fully opened course again. Still only a few more weeks to wait!
vball

Just reading some of this and it brings back so many memories. As a 16 year old, I played off 16 which was a good standard I suppose When I started working, the company I worked for, the MD was also President of SGU. Partly as a result of this, our work social golf club got to play many of the course around Edinburgh at a very heavily subsidised cost to us. So every 2 week in the summer months we would have an outing.
I then moved to Dubai and continued playing there.
Then along came kids and I have only played about 2 times in the past 25 years.
Retirement is looming (in talks at present) but might be autumn time. I am going to look out the bats and start to play. Not for the golf really as left ankle is pretty badly stuffed, but more for the walking about. So will not be messing up the more famous Edinburgh area courses but will stick to public ones. Braids 1 was superb and 2 was an excellent place to take visitors to as they could see the city, see where their ball went, and then never find it !! The Royal and Ancient Carrickknowe might need to do for me !!
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Blackmac

vball wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:23 pm Just reading some of this and it brings back so many memories. As a 16 year old, I played off 16 which was a good standard I suppose When I started working, the company I worked for, the MD was also President of SGU. Partly as a result of this, our work social golf club got to play many of the course around Edinburgh at a very heavily subsidised cost to us. So every 2 week in the summer months we would have an outing.
Retirement is looming (in talks at present) but might be autumn time. I am going to look out the bats and start to play. Not for the golf really as left ankle is pretty badly stuffed, but more for the walking about. So will not be messing up the more famous Edinburgh area courses but will stick to public ones. Braids 1 was superb and 2 was an excellent place to take visitors to as they could see the city, see where their ball went, and then never find it !! The Royal and Ancient Carrickknowe might need to do for me !!
You should try Kings Acre's pay and play membership. Course is maturing nicely and if they improve the condition a bit more it could be a really top track as it is brutally tight with huge undulating greens
vball

Blackmac wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:34 pm You should try Kings Acre's pay and play membership. Course is maturing nicely and if they improve the condition a bit more it could be a really top track as it is brutally tight with huge undulating greens

".... brutally tight with huge undulating greens." .... Perhaps not. Huge wide fairways with bumpers like at the skittle alleys and greens like a saucer the correct way up is more my style !!
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:34 pm
vball wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:23 pm Just reading some of this and it brings back so many memories. As a 16 year old, I played off 16 which was a good standard I suppose When I started working, the company I worked for, the MD was also President of SGU. Partly as a result of this, our work social golf club got to play many of the course around Edinburgh at a very heavily subsidised cost to us. So every 2 week in the summer months we would have an outing.
You should try Kings Acre's pay and play membership. Course is maturing nicely and if they improve the condition a bit more it could be a really top track as it is brutally tight with huge undulating greens
Agree with this but only if their greens are a bit better than they were last year. During the summer me and a mate often book a round on GolfNow at short notice and play a local course and have a bite to eat. The likes of Peebles, Cardrona, West Linton, Glencorse, Newbattle, etc can be had for £15-£20 a round and they are great, friendly local courses for a fun Friday out and most will do a great lunch of not much money. Better value than £240 weekday/£275 weekend a round on Gullane No1 or £240 a round at North Berwick!!!
TedMaul

Better still member guest rate last time I played NB was 5 quid 😳
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 am
Agree with this but only if their greens are a bit better than they were last year. During the summer me and a mate often book a round on GolfNow at short notice and play a local course and have a bite to eat. The likes of Peebles, Cardrona, West Linton, Glencorse, Newbattle, etc can be had for £15-£20 a round and they are great, friendly local courses for a fun Friday out and most will do a great lunch of not much money. Better value than £240 weekday/£275 weekend a round on Gullane No1 or £240 a round at North Berwick!!!
Yeah they had a bad weed infestation last year which they couldn't treat during the drought. They treated them at the tail end of the year and the last time I played in December they were very good although I can't fathom their insistence on staying on full greens all winter.

Peebles and West Linton are simply superb courses in magnificent condition and I am hearing a lot of improvement down at Cardrona.
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:41 pm
dpedin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 am

Yeah they had a bad weed infestation last year which they couldn't treat during the drought. They treated them at the tail end of the year and the last time I played in December they were very good although I can't fathom their insistence on staying on full greens all winter.

Peebles and West Linton are simply superb courses in magnificent condition and I am hearing a lot of improvement down at Cardrona.
Cardrona was one of my favorites for a wee trip to the Borders from Embra, a great layout and it was usually in great condition albeit a bit wet if there had been heavy rain. It has some wonderful holes tracking down the valley. However during the Covid pandemic they basically didnt maintain the course at all and if effect lost their greens. Like you, I've heard they have been working hard to get the greens and the course back to how it was. If reports continue to be positive I will back down there this year.