Stop voting for fucking Tories

Where goats go to escape
David in Gwent

Some people on Twitter X are suggesting that the London vote is far, far closer than expected and could go either way.

Could be bollocks mind.
Last edited by David in Gwent on Fri May 03, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
epwc

I think it’ll be super close in London
David in Gwent

I wonder, based on zero fucking evidence, whether the theatrics we've seen with Tory officials not having photo ID is to rub it in that Khan's vote has severely declined due to his supporters not having the appropriate ID.
David in Gwent

Khan is 1.09 on Betfair. So it's not actually close at all.
Paddington Bear

This happened last time. Outer boroughs go Tory and everyone gets overexcited. Wouldn’t shock me if it’s close on a low turnout though
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
David in Gwent

Wales is going to be interesting. Some strange early news but far too early to confirm anything.

People in Wales have lived under a Labour Government for a long time and many people are sick of it.

Everything under Labour's control has been shit and is becoming progressively more shit. The 20 MPH fiasco is just embarassing.

When it becomes more common knowledge that 32 Welsh MPs rejected the findings of the the Cass Report - it will become even more interesting.
yermum

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:34 am Some people on Twitter X are suggesting that the London vote is far, far closer than expected and could go either way.

Could be bollocks mind.
Considering that the vote count doesn’t start till tomorrow they are remarkably well informed
David in Gwent

yermum wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:50 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:34 am Some people on Twitter X are suggesting that the London vote is far, far closer than expected and could go either way.

Could be bollocks mind.
Considering that the vote count doesn’t start till tomorrow they are remarkably well informed
I'm just repeating what Kevin Schofield stated on twiitter and I quote:
Sadiq Khan campaign source says “it’s going to be close”.

“The Tories rigged the system to make it easier for them to win, bringing in voter ID and first past the post, and fought a dirty campaign”

Adds polls showing Khan well ahead “were way out”.
_Os_

BBC coverage has gone a bit crazy in the moments I've been able to watch. They're desperate to "two sides" the result. Even heard them say it's a "mixed bag". They're using anything they can, one Tory mayor who will be eventually be investigated if what Private Eye says is true, some Muslims being unhappy about Israel.

From what we're seeing so far Labour have smashed it. Huge swings, the areas they were winning before they're winning by more now which will make campaigning easier. At this rate it's going to be worse than 1997 for the Tories, a total wipe out. The ticker at the bottom of the screen is showing this, but "mixed bag".
David in Gwent

_Os_ wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:21 pm BBC coverage has gone a bit crazy in the moments I've been able to watch. They're desperate to "two sides" the result. Even heard them say it's a "mixed bag". They're using anything they can, one Tory mayor who will be eventually be investigated if what Private Eye says is true, some Muslims being unhappy about Israel.

From what we're seeing so far Labour have smashed it. Huge swings, the areas they were winning before they're winning by more now which will make campaigning easier. At this rate it's going to be worse than 1997 for the Tories, a total wipe out. The ticker at the bottom of the screen is showing this, but "mixed bag".
It could very well equal 97 and the Tories would deserve it.

But as the GE approaches people will be forced to think what voting for Labour will actually mean and what it will entail.
Sandstorm

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:32 pm

But as the GE approaches people will be forced to think what voting for Labour will actually mean and what it will entail.
What is that exactly?
epwc

Sandstorm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:37 pm

What is that exactly?
Well you’re all going to be Muslim for a start
C69

What is that exactly?
Better public services, more police on the beat.
Children being educated appropriately, decreased NHS waiting lists. Ability to see a dentist or a GP
More efficient and less costly Energy. Less shit in the sea and rivers and making water companies accountable.
The open border Tory policy kicked into touch and more border forces with closer cooperation with Europe to prevent the bats being sent from France.
Improved Armed forces numbers and housing stock.
And starting to kick start house building and infrastructure?
Hal Jordan

epwc wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:43 pm

What is that exactly?
Well you’re all going to be Muslim for a start
Transsexual Muslims at that. And probably engaged in maritime pursuits.
David in Gwent

What is that exactly?
As it's you, let's start slowly. The British public will get more Identity & Gender politics.
David in Gwent

C69 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm

What is that exactly?
Children being educated appropriately, decreased NHS waiting lists. Ability to see a dentist or a GP
More efficient and less costly Energy. Less shit in the sea and rivers and making water companies accountable.
The open border Tory policy kicked into touch and more border forces with closer cooperation with Europe to prevent the bats being sent from France.
Bookmarked.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/0 ... y-of-open/
Sandstorm

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm

What is that exactly?
As it's you, let's start slowly. The British public will get more Identity & Gender politics.
Oh noes! That sounds terrible! What should I do to prevent this tragedy? :eek:
C69

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:47 pm

What is that exactly?
Bookmarked.

Which part of my post do you disagree with?
epwc

Hal Jordan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pmAnd probably engaged in maritime pursuits.
I’m flipping emigrating
Sandstorm

C69 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:56 pm
"....bats being sent from Europe..." probably.
SaintK

Bookmarked.

Probably the bit about bats being sent from France :wink:
C69

Fair point. It's only the vampire 🦇 I dislike.
SaintK

So Houchen retains his position as Teeside mayor
One of he first things Labour should to do when they win the election is set the National Audit Office loose on the whole Teesworks debacle.
Taxpayers are not being guaranteed value for money or transparency at a regeneration project overseen by the Conservative Tees Valley mayor, Ben Houchen, according to a review that cleared it of cronyism and corruption.
An independent review of Teesworks, one of the highest-profile, government-backed regeneration schemes in Britain, found the project was excessively secretive and could not ensure public money was being well spent.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2 ... sparency
epwc

That whole thing stinks
David in Gwent

Bookmarked.

The bit I posted a link for.

I live under a Labour Government, they're shit and incompetent. People here are sick of it.
Last edited by David in Gwent on Fri May 03, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Os_

_Os_ wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:21 pm BBC coverage has gone a bit crazy in the moments I've been able to watch. They're desperate to "two sides" the result. Even heard them say it's a "mixed bag". They're using anything they can, one Tory mayor who will be eventually be investigated if what Private Eye says is true, some Muslims being unhappy about Israel.

It could very well equal 97 and the Tories would deserve it.

Ah yes, the "polls will narrow as the election gets closer" cope. :lol:

This is what I'm seeing, as in places I know and don't need to look up what they're like (in the south of England):

1. Affluent places close to city/town centres, basically white people and rich. Your favourite type of people, DAC. Used to be areas that were contested between the Tories and another party (Lib Dems or Labour). They're almost all becoming one party Labour areas, they're x2 to x4 the size of the Tories in these areas. As in the Labour vote is growing on past local elections which were also good for Labour, whilst the Tory vote is half what it was or less and they're at risk of moving into third place. Some others follow the same pattern but it's the Lib Dems or Greens.
2. Poor working class areas and council estates, that are mostly white. These are historically the strongest Labour areas, went Tory briefly when they believed a lot of lies. They're now going back to be Labour one party areas, where other parties may as well not bother campaigning. When a Reform candidate stands the collapse becomes worse.
3. Lower middle class/working class areas close to city/town centres, that are racially/ethnically more diverse. Where the Tories stand a candidate who isn't white they do a bit better than where they don't, but basically again Labour one party areas.
4. Middle class suburban areas, that are disproportionately retired older white people. This is the Tory base. The Tories are winning some of these still, but they're also losing some which never happened before. Both Labour and the Lib Dems benefitting. When Reform stands a candidate the Tories do a lot worse.

The racist vote (or "concerned citizen vote" as I'm sure you'll see it), isn't big enough on its own. Reform look to be doing about as well as UKIP pre-2015, a 10%-15% party that takes Tory votes and doesn't stand everywhere, they have 0 councillors. The Tories have fucked their whole election campaign because they've become obsessed by winning Reform voters and therefore immigration. Laser focused on 10%-30% of the electorate, some of which openly say they will never vote for Tory and always vote for the most right wing party possible. They seem to have decided UK elections are won from the far right.
Last edited by _Os_ on Fri May 03, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David in Gwent

Sandstorm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:52 pm

What is that exactly?
Thanks for proving my point. We're going to get more of people like you who don't understand why we're fucking sick of it - and it's only going to get worse once Labour get in.

The people voting for Labour aren't doing so because Labour are decent at anything, they're doing so because of the abject failure of the Tories, Labour needs to understand this, but they won't.

Millions of people in this country are now politically homeless.
epwc

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:05 pm Millions of people in this country are now politically homeless.
Agree, I am. But the only way to fix that is PR
C69

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:00 pm

I live under a Labour Government, they're shit and incompetent. People here are sick of it.
Wales ? It's not a real Government FFS.
_Os_

Rushmoor Council which includes Aldershot a town literally known as "the home of the British army" and Farnborough. The heart of ultra Tory Hampshire. Is now Labour controlled for the first time ever.

Thurrock Council in Tory Essex which ran up a huge debt into the billions and should be probed for corruption, yet unbelievably kept electing Tory councillors. Is now Labour controlled.

The Tories are so fucking done.
epwc

epwc wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:17 pmBut the only way to fix that is PR
I don't mean Planet Rugby, that can fix absolutely nothing
Biffer

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:05 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:52 pm

Thanks for proving my point. We're going to get more of people like you who don't understand why we're fucking sick of it - and it's only going to get worse once Labour get in.

The people voting for Labour aren't doing so because Labour are decent at anything, they're doing so because of the abject failure of the Tories, Labour needs to understand this, but they won't.

Millions of people in this country are now politically homeless.
Who’s this ‘we’, Tonto?
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
David in Gwent

C69 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:17 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:00 pm

Wales ? It's not a real Government FFS.
I feel sorry for the UK having to endure the next 4 years under a Labour Government. However, It's the people's fault. We should have had this lot up on the gallows a long time ago.
epwc

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:47 pmWe should have had this lot up on the gallows a long time ago.
The Tories? I'm not into capital punishment, the stocks would be great
Last edited by epwc on Fri May 03, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddington Bear

Tories hold my town council seat by 47 votes. They usually win it with 60-70%. Sharpen up your CV if you’re a Tory MP
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
SaintK

Paddington Bear wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm Angela van den Bogerd up at the Post Office inquiry this morning. Very clearly perjured herself previously
This bastard as well. Listened to some of it live, it was excruciating. Hope he gets at least twice as long as the longest sentence that any of the postmasters got.
A former Post Office lawyer has denied “covering up” knowledge of problems with the Horizon IT system after a public inquiry heard that he “sat on” an email highlighting IT bugs, which was not disclosed to the criminal trial of a pregnant post office operative.

Jarnail Singh, the former head of criminal law at the Post Office, was being questioned at the long-running public inquiry into the wrongful prosecution of hundreds of post office operators who were hounded by the Post Office because of financial shortfalls in their branch accounts. It has since emerged that these discrepancies were due to IT bugs in the Post Office’s Horizon computer system.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ar ... roblems
tabascoboy

Sunak's North Yorkshire now under a Labour mayor! :clap:
York and North Yorkshire contains some areas that tend to vote strongly Conservative, including the Prime Minister’s own constituency of Richmond (Yorks).

So Labour’s victory in the mayoral race here is notable. A Labour spokesperson described it as a “truly historic result” saying they were “now winning in Rishi Sunak’s backyard”.

“The Prime Minister’s own constituents have taken a look at the two parties and chosen Labour,” a Labour spokesman said.

But a couple of caveats. Firstly the region also includes the city of York which has a lot of students and younger people who tend to vote Labour.

Another factor is the independent candidate Paul Haslem. He used to be a Conservative councillor who quit the party to run as an independent. He won 12,370 votes which is almost – but not quite – the difference between Labour’s victorious David Skaith and the Conservative’s Keane Charles Duncan who came second. Without him, the result could have been very tight.

So Labour’s victory here is certainly eye catching, particularly because of the personal factor to Rishi Sunak. But as ever the picture on the ground is slightly more nuanced than the party spinners make it appear.
epwc

SaintK wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:26 pm
Paddington Bear wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm Angela van den Bogerd up at the Post Office inquiry this morning. Very clearly perjured herself previously
This bastard as well. Listened to some of it live, it was excruciating. Hope he gets at least twice as long as the longest sentence that any of the postmasters got.
A former Post Office lawyer has denied “covering up” knowledge of problems with the Horizon IT system after a public inquiry heard that he “sat on” an email highlighting IT bugs, which was not disclosed to the criminal trial of a pregnant post office operative.

Jarnail Singh, the former head of criminal law at the Post Office, was being questioned at the long-running public inquiry into the wrongful prosecution of hundreds of post office operators who were hounded by the Post Office because of financial shortfalls in their branch accounts. It has since emerged that these discrepancies were due to IT bugs in the Post Office’s Horizon computer system.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ar ... roblems
I'd be amazed if any of them do time. But yes I too hope that they ALL serve at least as long as the person who served the longest sentence
robmatic

tabascoboy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:29 pm Sunak's North Yorkshire now under a Labour mayor! :clap:
York and North Yorkshire contains some areas that tend to vote strongly Conservative, including the Prime Minister’s own constituency of Richmond (Yorks).

So Labour’s victory in the mayoral race here is notable. A Labour spokesperson described it as a “truly historic result” saying they were “now winning in Rishi Sunak’s backyard”.

“The Prime Minister’s own constituents have taken a look at the two parties and chosen Labour,” a Labour spokesman said.

But a couple of caveats. Firstly the region also includes the city of York which has a lot of students and younger people who tend to vote Labour.

Another factor is the independent candidate Paul Haslem. He used to be a Conservative councillor who quit the party to run as an independent. He won 12,370 votes which is almost – but not quite – the difference between Labour’s victorious David Skaith and the Conservative’s Keane Charles Duncan who came second. Without him, the result could have been very tight.

So Labour’s victory here is certainly eye catching, particularly because of the personal factor to Rishi Sunak. But as ever the picture on the ground is slightly more nuanced than the party spinners make it appear.
My Mum lives in Richmondshire and is a lifelong true blue Conservative. She described the Tory candidate as a "pillock".
epwc

robmatic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:38 pmShe described the Tory candidate as a "pillock".
Harsh words, did you admonish her?