Stop voting for fucking Tories

Where goats go to escape
lemonhead

epwc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm
petej wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:16 pm They kind of are in the UK and USA. People in the UK would be a lot healthier if they walked or cycled some of their short journeys.
Yep, mental. When we lived in London the kids school was a 10 minute walk, we always walked them there, the woman round the corner 2 or 3 minutes nearer used to drop hers by car.

Nowhere to park or stop safely
Almost always used walk to primary school and back. About a mile down Kennington road, sometimes in company others solo.

Having lived there for 20+ years it helps to think of the place as 100 or so villages all rammed together rather than a city.

In truth, while I miss people rather than place London always struck me as a bit of a fairyland. Well provisioned, plenty of work, lots to do, eyewateringly expensive in parts but quite a chilled city in the grand scheme of things. Certainly wouldn't discourage mine from moving there if they want to.
C69

Winning West Midlands is quite remarkable for Labour,
It would have been a massive win without Galloway mob getting over 45,000 votes.
Win for Labour now confirmed.

THE TORIES ARE NOW FUCKED....
Slick

lemonhead wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:44 pm
epwc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm
petej wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:16 pm They kind of are in the UK and USA. People in the UK would be a lot healthier if they walked or cycled some of their short journeys.
Yep, mental. When we lived in London the kids school was a 10 minute walk, we always walked them there, the woman round the corner 2 or 3 minutes nearer used to drop hers by car.

Nowhere to park or stop safely
Almost always used walk to primary school and back. About a mile down Kennington road, sometimes in company others solo.

Having lived there for 20+ years it helps to think of the place as 100 or so villages all rammed together rather than a city.

In truth, while I miss people rather than place London always struck me as a bit of a fairyland. Well provisioned, plenty of work, lots to do, eyewateringly expensive in parts but quite a chilled city in the grand scheme of things. Certainly wouldn't discourage mine from moving there if they want to.
I’m sure it’s a story we all have, but when I was at primary school literally no one got dropped by car. I presume it’s still the same catchment area but there are now queues up and down the road every day.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
sturginho

C69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:58 pm Winning West Midlands is quite remarkable for Labour,
It would have been a massive win without Galloway mob getting over 45,000 votes.

They haven't declared yet?
fishfoodie

C69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:25 pm
fishfoodie wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:23 pm Where did the rumors of the London race being tight come from ?

Khan won at a canter, which was pretty much what the polls said all along, & what most peoples gut feeling was as well.
I knew he would and it was all bullshit and bluster.
Never bought into it at all.
The red wall is now demolished and the cities are very red.
Hopefully the Tories are toast.
I ask because this is straight out of the MAGA playbook; to claim your straw polls show your candidate actually really close to the other candidate, & then when you lose by a country mile, to cry foul, because how could you lose by so many votes, when your polls said it was neck-an-neck ??

I'm not surprised Hall was a graceless cow, it's in keeping with everything we've seen from her thru the campaign.
_Os_

C69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:58 pm THE TORIES ARE NOW FUCKED....
Agreed. So what does the Question Time panel look like?

The fair and impartial Fiona Bruce hosting. Reform has two council seats, they are the party of the people, this means Tice and Farage get season tickets on the panel flanking both sides of Bruce. The Tories are in government and represent the will of the people, so they must have a place on the panel, taken up on a revolving basis by their highly intelligent back benchers (they would never put up cabinet ministers and even the PM like the evil New Labour and Blair did). There must be a left wing voice, this should be represented by the highly sensible Workers Party of Great Britain that will in no way be there so they can be mocked. There will also be a comedian for some colour comments, and to make inane obvious points which are applauded by the audience, he/she in no way being made to look more insightful by the panel being totally mental.

Labour should not be on the panel. Starmer is not loved. There is no excitement for Starmer. Labour only did well in a mid term election, where they didn't actually do well it was a mixed bag. No one wants a general election, they want the Tories to get on doing an excellent job. Labour will not win that election, it will be a hung parliament. Both the Lib Dems and Greens should never be heard from, because no one votes for them, only popular parties with large memberships and elected officials like Reform should be heard from.
tabascoboy

sturginho wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:29 pm
C69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:58 pm Winning West Midlands is quite remarkable for Labour,

They haven't declared yet?
Just been announced I think
Labour wins West Midlands mayoral contest
The results are in - and it's official.

Labour's candidate Richard Parker has won Sandwell - the last of seven constituencies to be declared in the West Midlands mayoral contest.

Overall, he wins by 1,508 votes.
sturginho

Just announced :spin
tabascoboy

And Britain First beaten by Count Binface :lol:

sturginho

tabascoboy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:01 pm And Britain First beaten by Count Binface :lol:

The Binface we need, the Binface we deserve!
robmatic

epwc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:06 pm Which major city in the western world doesn’t have stabbing and muggings?
I dunno if you count Istanbul as the Western world but I lived there for 10 years and barely even heard about that kind of thing. Scams and dodgy taxi drivers, yes, but no violent street crime of the kind that is normalised in London.
epwc

I don’t think Istanbul counts as Western, agree I’ve never felt threatened there

Any city in China is safe but everybody is on cctv all the time
fishfoodie

tabascoboy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:01 pm And Britain First beaten by Count Binface :lol:

His Intergalactic First policies resonated more with London voters, than the bigots policies !

That & wanting to make Thames water directors swim in the Thames.....
Ymx

Count Bin Face should have done better.

These policies are solid

C69

Ymx wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:50 pm Count Bin Face should have done better.

These policies are solid

Finally something we can agree on politically
Insane_Homer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of someone on here.
Screenshot_20240505-075154.png
Screenshot_20240505-075154.png (916.71 KiB) Viewed 676 times
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Lobby

I see the Tory loons are out in force this morning demanding that Sunak 'change course', move even further to the right and emulate the party that secured a grand total of 2 councillors across the UK, rather than consider why it is that the election saw large swathes of former Tory voters switch to Labour or the Lib Dems (who beat the Tories into 3rd place) or even the Greens.
sefton

Lobby wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:47 am I see the Tory loons are out in force this morning demanding that Sunak 'change course', move even further to the right and emulate the party that secured a grand total of 2 councillors across the UK, rather than consider why it is that the election saw large swathes of former Tory voters switch to Labour or the Lib Dems (who beat the Tories into 3rd place) or even the Greens.
Watched Braverman on BBC, the woman is completely separated from reality.
Lobby

Ymx wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:15 pm
epwc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:06 pm Which major city in the western world doesn’t have stabbing and muggings?
It’s part and parcel innit. Not like The Wire - mind you.
Despite the spurious and unevidenced claims made be Susan Hall, GB News and YMX, London has relatively low levels of violent crime. There are more than 30 police areas with higher crime rates than London, and only 9 regions with a lower violent crime rate:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/133 ... and-wales/

The city with the highest violent crime rate is Blackpool. London doesn't feature in the top 10.

So very much Not Like The Wire.
tabascoboy

sefton wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:57 am
Lobby wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:47 am I see the Tory loons are out in force this morning demanding that Sunak 'change course', move even further to the right and emulate the party that secured a grand total of 2 councillors across the UK, rather than consider why it is that the election saw large swathes of former Tory voters switch to Labour or the Lib Dems (who beat the Tories into 3rd place) or even the Greens.
_Os_

An obliteration at the GE is now a lock in. But their problems are larger.

Brexit and the 2019 GE has cooked their brains. They've purged a lot of the people who could change direction. Many (most?) of those left think UK elections are won from the far right rather than from the centre. Even if a party isn't in the centre, it has to at least look like that. Tory policies are now a BNP cut and paste. Focusing on immigration has been a terrible electoral mistake, the people that care about that are impossible to please, and really changing the numbers in a sustainable way means changing the structure of the UK economy (which would take two terms, create losers as well as winners, and may fail).

Brexit has been a disaster. Half the 2016 voters are never going to vote for them whilst they remain committed to Brexit. That's what the polling shows, Remain voters only support Remain leaning parties and definitely not the Tories, Leave voters have broken and will back Remain leaning parties (often because they've changed their mind). To regain trust the Tories will have to do a lot more than what we're seeing, because they're the instigators they will have to row back a lot furtherer than otherwise would've been the case, because this is about trust. Truss is another economic problem they've failed to put maximum distance from. They don't realise it yet but this is an electoral problem for them, every other party will say "Brexit and Truss" until the end of time, if the Tory response is "aren't they brilliant!" then that's at least half the electorate opposing them.

They're not winning the next GE, looking at what they're coming up with the one after that is doubtful too. Sunak could've minimised the damage and made the rebuild easier, like quickly acting when someone has a stroke, but his inexperience has led him into doing things which obviously weren't vote winners. Sunak should've disavowed austerity, Brexit, and Truss as much as possible, because that's what the Tories will have to do eventually anyway.
dpedin

_Os_ wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:52 am

Brexit and the 2019 GE has cooked their brains. They've purged a lot of the people who could change direction. Many (most?) of those left think UK elections are won from the far right rather than from the centre. Even if a party isn't in the centre, it has to at least look like that. Tory policies are now a BNP cut and paste. Focusing on immigration has been a terrible electoral mistake, the people that care about that are impossible to please, and really changing the numbers in a sustainable way means changing the structure of the UK economy (which would take two terms, create losers as well as winners, and may fail).

Brexit has been a disaster. Half the 2016 voters are never going to vote for them whilst they remain committed to Brexit. That's what the polling shows, Remain voters only support Remain leaning parties and definitely not the Tories, Leave voters have broken and will back Remain leaning parties (often because they've changed their mind). To regain trust the Tories will have to do a lot more than what we're seeing, because they're the instigators they will have to row back a lot furtherer than otherwise would've been the case, because this is about trust. Truss is another economic problem they've failed to put maximum distance from. They don't realise it yet but this is an electoral problem for them, every other party will say "Brexit and Truss" until the end of time, if the Tory response is "aren't they brilliant!" then that's at least half the electorate opposing them.

They're not winning the next GE, looking at what they're coming up with the one after that is doubtful too. Sunak could've minimised the damage and made the rebuild easier, like quickly acting when someone has a stroke, but his inexperience has led him into doing things which obviously weren't vote winners. Sunak should've disavowed austerity, Brexit, and Truss as much as possible, because that's what the Tories will have to do eventually anyway.
Agreed! I honestly don't think the Tory Party can survive as is and I suspect they will have an almighty internal fight after if not before the next GE with the right taking full control. Braverman clearly making a strong play this morning for leadership of the party and if she gets in as leader, which is increasingly likely, then I fully expect the Tories will split with the right wing nut jobs inviting Farage and Tice et al into the party and a large chunk of the One Nation MPs either leaving or forming something else more akin to the traditional Tory Party values. If she doesnt win any leadership contest and the One Nation MPS win then I fully expect a mass exodus of right wing Tories to Reform. Either way Brexit has killed the Tories as Cameron always suspected it would except that getting 'Brexit done' has led to 20+ years of economic and social decline for the UK along the way. It will always be the millstone around their brass necks.
SaintK

sefton wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:57 am
I had to turn it off in the end as I couldn't bear her voice. She's utterly barking!!!
Biffer

dpedin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:14 am

Agreed! I honestly don't think the Tory Party can survive as is and I suspect they will have an almighty internal fight after if not before the next GE with the right taking full control. Braverman clearly making a strong play this morning for leadership of the party and if she gets in as leader, which is increasingly likely, then I fully expect the Tories will split with the right wing nut jobs inviting Farage and Tice et al into the party and a large chunk of the One Nation MPs either leaving or forming something else more akin to the traditional Tory Party values. If she doesnt win any leadership contest and the One Nation MPS win then I fully expect a mass exodus of right wing Tories to Reform. Either way Brexit has killed the Tories as Cameron always suspected it would except that getting 'Brexit done' has led to 20+ years of economic and social decline for the UK along the way. It will always be the millstone around their brass necks.
Are there a large mass of one nation Tories left? Will there be after the next election?
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Insane_Homer

As I stated elsewhere earlier this morning...
And the narrative will now go along the lines of...

"We hear you, this result clearly shows us our plan isn't racist and cruel enough"
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
dpedin

Biffer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

Are there a large mass of one nation Tories left? Will there be after the next election?
Good point - many have already said they would stand down.
_Os_

The Tory play seems to be to hope Starmer fails, oppose him from the far right and win on another populist Brexit style ticket. That only has a chance of happening if Starmer chooses to focus on the usual right wing stuff (immigration, Muslims, punishing the disabled and homeless, etc). It relies on Starmer making mistakes, which he may do, we can't know for sure yet. If Starmer doesn't fall for it then this path to victory becomes much harder for the Tories. Starmer only needs to focus on the economy, and start stacking up small wins.

Something that's being missed, is when a new government comes in backed by a different coalition of voters, the concerns of those voters set the agenda. If it's a landslide the entire landscape changes. Labour voters dislike austerity, aren't hard Brexit UKIP/Reform loons or they wouldn't be voting Labour, and want people to have a home to live in. Getting any economic wins will put them above the Tories in the minds of those voters, they will not care if Starmer mitigates Brexit technicalities few understand or care about (checks on borders etc), the more Starmer ends NIMBYism the more his voters win. Starmer will get to choose all the battlegrounds and doesn't have to pick the ones Tory newspapers want.

It's not like the Tory party is staffed by political giants. Maybe Starmer and Labour end up sunk by the scale of the problems, and the Tories basically get lucky. It would need Starmer to directly play into Tory concerns for that to happen. This isn't a risk free gamble for the Tories, they've moved far from the centre ground (most off the centre they've been since every adult in the UK had the vote?) and will lose their position as one of the top two parties if they don't manage to beat Starmer but keep going in this direction. If this isn't a winning a strategy for them and they don't change direction, then FPTP will find a party closer to the centre to replace them, it's not like the US which has FPTP but no alternate options. Moving from the Tories to the Lib Dems wouldn't be a big jump for a lot of Tories if they think their party has gone full GOP/Trump loony.
Dinsdale Piranha

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:43 am As I stated elsewhere earlier this morning...

"We hear you, this result clearly shows us our plan isn't racist and cruel enough"
We are seeing the Tory version of what Labour went through in the early 80s. They are doubling down on the lunatic policies that got them in to trouble. If mentally you are unable to accept that your policies are unpopular you go all in. The more moderate Tory politicians are going down the Winchester to wait for it all to blow over. The complete loons have a while to run before they are finally dealt with.
Rhubarb & Custard

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:43 am As I stated elsewhere earlier this morning...

If they and Reform and going to squabble over who can be the most racist it's not great for applying sensible pressure on Labour. Though it's not easy at the moment to see who in the Tory party has any sense
fishfoodie

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:09 pm

If they and Reform and going to squabble over who can be the most racist it's not great for applying sensible pressure on Labour. Though it's not easy at the moment to see who in the Tory party has any sense
It's like that scene in the Bond movie with Japanese fighting fish; Labour just needs to swim around doing their own thing, while the Tories, & the far right loons tear lumps out of each other until they both die.

The highest profile Toreis are all focused on how they get to be Leader of whatever remains of the Party after the GE.
Tichtheid

fishfoodie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:35 pm

It's like that scene in the Bond movie with Japanese fighting fish; Labour just needs to swim around doing their own thing, while the Tories, & the far right loons tear lumps out of each other until they both die.

The highest profile Toreis are all focused on how they get to be Leader of whatever remains of the Party after the GE.
They'll have to be elected from their constituencies first and I don't think there are that many safe seats left, The Torygraph had an article yesterday saying that Gove, Braverman and Hunt are not safe at all.
_Os_

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:03 pm We are seeing the Tory version of what Labour went through in the early 80s. They are doubling down on the lunatic policies that got them in to trouble. If mentally you are unable to accept that your policies are unpopular you go all in.
I agree but they're also in a worse position than Labour in the 1980s. Back then Labour had about 8,600 councillors and 209-269 MPs. The Tories are on about 5000 councillors now and best case they get 150-200 MPs, worst case this time next year they're on around 4,500 councillors and 70 MPs.

The amount of paid politicians a party has matters, they're the ones running the branches and organising volunteers, they're the only ones with the time to do party work. If a branch only has volunteers it will be a lot weaker. A lot of Tory branches will shortly be reduced to <10 councillors, the members being swivel eyed loons and/or older folk quite happy with the direction of travel and more interested in the pub like social life.

Even if they start getting things right it'll be difficult for them, and they're a long way from getting things right.
Rhubarb & Custard

Tichtheid wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:56 pm

They'll have to be elected from their constituencies first and I don't think there are that many safe seats left, The Torygraph had an article yesterday saying that Gove, Braverman and Hunt are not safe at all.
It's just setting up the rise, not he'd want it but if others demand it of him so be it, of one Nigel Farage to become the new Tory leader. Stopping the bleeding of votes to Reform, but doing who knows what to 'traditional' Tory voters future intentions
_Os_

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:14 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:56 pm

It's just setting up the rise, not he'd want it but if others demand it of him so be it, of one Nigel Farage to become the new Tory leader. Stopping the bleeding of votes to Reform, but doing who knows what to 'traditional' Tory voters future intentions
Andrea Jenkyns wants an electoral pact between the Tories and Reform, which would mean standing candidates as "Conservative-Reform". She even compares it to Labour and the Co-op. This will mean absorbing the entirety of Reform into the Tories and Farage being a "Conservative-Reform" candidate. She's a loony, but if that's any guide to what the Tory right are thinking then who knows what happens after Sunak is wiped out.

sockwithaticket

How the fuck is she a dame?
Tichtheid

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:55 pm How the fuck is she a dame?
There is nothin’ like a dame
Nothin’ in the world
There is nothin’ you can name
That is anythin’ like a dame.

(cough)
lemonhead

Lobby wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:13 am
Ymx wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:15 pm
It’s part and parcel innit. Not like The Wire - mind you.
Despite the spurious and unevidenced claims made be Susan Hall, GB News and YMX, London has relatively low levels of violent crime. There are more than 30 police areas with higher crime rates than London, and only 9 regions with a lower violent crime rate:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/133 ... and-wales/

The city with the highest violent crime rate is Blackpool. London doesn't feature in the top 10.

So very much Not Like The Wire.
I'd recommend anyone who genuinely thinks London's a warzone to actually go visit the rest of the UK and picture themselves living there.

There are worse, far more deprived areas than Welling, Dartford, Edmonton and Westminster.
C69

Blackpool is a unique place. It's one of the most deprived places in England with an economy based on stag and hen dos.
A land of drug wars and bedsits, seasonal work, poor wages, I'll health and benefit culture.
The last time I walked around Blackpool I saw more neck tattoos than anywhere else I have ever been, very strange.
fishfoodie

He must be worried; he's now conceding that they're going to lose, but they're back again warning of chaos if Labour get in power
The Times wrote: Rishi Sunak: Britain faces hung parliament at general election

The prime minister expresses disappointment after Conservative losses in last week’s local elections

Britain is heading for a hung parliament, Rishi Sunak has claimed as he urged Tory MPs to end their divisions and “come together” to take on Labour.

In his first comments since the full extent of the party’s local election losses became clear, the prime minister admitted that the results had been “bitterly disappointing” for the Conservatives. The party lost nearly 500 council seats and the West Midlands mayoralty.

However, Sunak seized on a projection by Michael Thrasher, the elections expert, that suggested if Thursday’s results were replicated in a general election, Labour would fall short of enough seats to win power.

Sunak conceded for the first time that his party could be on course to lose its majority but said voters would not want to see Sir Keir Starmer “propped up in Downing Street” by the SNP, the Liberal Democrats and the Greens.
https://archive.ph/hq6EM

He can't be much of an Elections expert if his analysis says Labour ends up with anything other than a massive majority.
Tichtheid

fishfoodie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:33 am

He can't be much of an Elections expert if his analysis says Labour ends up with anything other than a massive majority.

from the Indy

The most recent YouGov poll gave the Labour party a 26-point lead on the Tories, which, if repeated at a general election would give the party just 36 seats according to the prediction site Electoral Calculus.

Professor Curtice said: “I think we have to conclude that the message of the polls of the last 12 months - which is that the Conservative Party under Rishi Sunak has not been making significant progress in narrowing the gap on Labour - that its not been making that progress, and these local results so far fully confirm what those polls have been saying”.

Anything other than a solid majority for Labour would be a disaster for Starmer