Stop voting for fucking Tories

Where goats go to escape
fishfoodie

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 pm
fishfoodie wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm Should have waited till before PMQs to announce !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nhs-crisis

Next week is going to be brutal for the head boy; this & the locals might force him to call an election just to avoid being unseated.

Shirley no one would want to lead the Tories into the next election and be tarred with what is sure to be a terrible result for them? I think Sunak is safe for now (ha ha, Sunak autocorrected to Sunk just now)
You give them entirely too much credit, by assuming they've thought it through that far.

It just takes a few more letters to go into Brady, & they're back in crisis again.
Sandstorm

500 pages….
geordie_6

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 am500 pages….
Only slightly more than they've had leaders in the same time period, or so it feels...
dpedin

geordie_6 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:30 am
Only slightly more than they've had leaders in the same time period, or so it feels...
Or Tory sex pests?
geordie_6

dpedin wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:18 pm
geordie_6 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:30 am
Or Tory sex pests?
That puts it well beyond the 500 I reckon.
fishfoodie

This is what happens when you put the Tories in charge of protecting the environment. The same cunts will claim to be patriots, & love Englands green & pleasant land !

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czq5nd45p8zo
petej

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:48 pm This is what happens when you put the Tories in charge of protecting the environment. The same cunts will claim to be patriots, & love Englands green & pleasant land !

That is brexit Britain's buccaneering free spirit. Someone saw an opportunity and took it. It is beautiful.
inactionman

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:48 pm This is what happens when you put the Tories in charge of protecting the environment. The same cunts will claim to be patriots, & love Englands green & pleasant land !

I'm not a hang 'em high sort of person, but I'd gladly bring back hanging, drawing and quartering expressly for fly tippers.
fishfoodie

inactionman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:15 pm

I'm not a hang 'em high sort of person, but I'd gladly bring back hanging, drawing and quartering expressly for fly tippers.
Nah, just put them in a pink jumpsuit, hand them a shovel & point at the pile of waste, & then to a skip, & tell them that they'll be spending 12 hours a day moving the waste from the pile, to the skip until the land is the way it was originally !!

Restorative Justice I believe it's called.
geordie_6

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm

Nah, just put them in a pink jumpsuit, hand them a shovel & point at the pile of waste, & then to a skip, & tell them that they'll be spending 12 hours a day moving the waste from the pile, to the skip until the land is the way it was originally !!

After that, can we hang, draw and quarter them?
fishfoodie

geordie_6 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:41 pm
fishfoodie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm

After that, can we hang, draw and quarter them?
It's up to you; but after a few years of shoveling waste, they'd probably beg you to put them out of their misery !
I like neeps

Andrew Marr is presumably speaking to senior senior people so this probably is an actually discussion.
Paddington Bear

Monty Panesar standing for George Galloway’s party in Ealing
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
fishfoodie

Taoiseach claims UK government confirms ‘operating agreement’ for return of asylum-seekers

- Simon Harris: “We have every right when countries enter agreements, that those agreements are honoured”
- UK says it has ‘no legal obligation’ to accept asylum-seekers from Ireland

Taoiseach Simon Harris has claimed that the UK government has confirmed there is an “operating agreement” to allow asylum-seekers to be returned between both jurisdictions.

Mr Harris said a post-Brexit deal was struck in 2020 and allows asylum-seekers whose applications are “inadmissible” to be “returned” to the UK and vice versa.

It comes after the a spokesperson for UK prime minister Rishi Sunak said there is no “legal obligation” for the UK to accept the return of asylum-seekers and that Britain will “not accept returns” from Ireland.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 67432.html
Paddington Bear

Saw my fourth robbery in London this year today. My fourth police report closed within 3 hours without an investigation as well
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Ymx

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm Saw my fourth robbery in London this year today. My fourth police report closed within 3 hours without an investigation as well
Let’s hope people vote sensibly to remove Khan.

I can’t imagine anyone doing a worse job than what he’s done to London. It’s almost deliberately bad it’s so negligent
Dinsdale Piranha

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm Saw my fourth robbery in London this year today. My fourth police report closed within 3 hours without an investigation as well
We had a rare moment of competence last week. Found people using our bin area to do drugs, called plod who were there within 2 minutes. One chap arrested.

The minor bad point is that they were able to arrest him as he had stolen goods on him. Breaking in to our bin store and doing hard drugs didn't cut it.
Niegs

Is there not more to this story? 20+ trucks a day and I'd expect to see evidence of who they were, pic snapped by a local? Council's given someone permission to do this, surely? (Reminds me of how the council where I used to live was selling out the beauty/productivity of farmland for quarries to feed the single-family home developments creeping out from the three nearby cities. :mad: )

Nothing here either...

Paddington Bear

Ymx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:58 pm

I can’t imagine anyone doing a worse job than what he’s done to London. It’s almost deliberately bad it’s so negligent
He’s a clown, as is the Met. These all happen in broad daylight in the most CCTV’d city in the world. Find my iPhone likely would take them straight there. They just can’t be bothered and no one makes them care. Shambolic
_Os_

I like neeps wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 pm

Andrew Marr is presumably speaking to senior senior people so this probably is an actually discussion.
Huge red flag there.

There has always been a possibility they'll copy every Tory policy and sell it on the basis of superior implementation, including things they oppose that have so many holes their feasibility is deeply questionable. If Labour support the Rwanda scheme you know they're capable of anything.

It would validate every open ended right wing argument about migration. Since Thatcher the UK economy has required immigrants, Labour like every government since her aren't going to radically change the structure of the UK's economy (Brexit just meant the same economy under worse operating conditions). It doesn't matter what the immigration numbers are the right will go crazy over them. They'll never be happy because they can't afford to be, migration is all the right have, they're never going congratulate Labour on their migration policies or migration numbers. Last time Labour were in power, the right went mad over about 200k net immigrants per year and blamed Blair for opening UK borders. A basic graph of immigration into the UK shows an upward trend from the 1980s until now, if anything there was a plateau in the 2000s. Yet they still blame Blair to this day.

Labour is also committed to "making Brexit work" without joining the SM or CU. Immigration increased to record levels once Brexit was implemented, Johnson used immigrants to fill the hole in GDP numbers he knew Brexit would create. If the Brexit deal doesn't significantly change, and the structure of the UK's economy doesn't significantly change, but immigration is significantly cut ... then what? Changing almost nothing and cutting immigration, looks economically impossible.

The Tories have crushed themselves by banging on and on about immigrants, a lot of what they've talked about before the local elections is immigrants. The Tories promised the impossible on immigration, those who believed them aren't going to vote Tory. Labour would be stupid to copy them.

If Labour do decide to be stupid everything getting worse becomes more likely. Right wing populism is about blaming immigrants for everything. It started after the 2008 GFC, the BNP got 1m votes in the 2009 Euro elections and 500k votes in the 2010 general election, then it moved to Farage/UKIP, then the Tories/Brexit, then it ate everything. If Labour supports the economic status quo and endorses "immigrants bad" rhetoric, it'll create perfect conditions for Farage or worse to deepen the crisis. Do Tory things, get Tory results.
epwc

The UK needed immigrants way before Thatcher, that's why there's so many of us brown people here!

My dad came in 1962
lemonhead

He’s a clown, as is the Met. These all happen in broad daylight in the most CCTV’d city in the world. Find my iPhone likely would take them straight there. They just can’t be bothered and no one makes them care. Shambolic
Any correlation to police numbers and investment?

Recall an officer trying to help out when I'd a bike nicked outside Holborn tube 20 years back. We'd both thought it had been put up on an auction site the next day and planned to pay said seller a visit. To no avail eventually but was glad he'd had a go at helping out.

Just assumed I'd get nowhere with it these days as nobody'd have either the time or patience for it.
Slick

Are there any figures showing how popular, or not, the Rwanda scheme is with the electorate?
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
I like neeps

Slick wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:37 am

Are there any figures showing how popular, or not, the Rwanda scheme is with the electorate?
Support is around 47%. The problem for Starmer is Labour MPs and core Labour voters don't support it.

And what does he think will happen? Fully supporting the Rwanda scheme if anything strengthens Farage and co. "We were right" etc etc.
Slick

I like neeps wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:46 am

Support is around 47%. The problem for Starmer is Labour MPs and core Labour voters don't support it.

And what does he think will happen? Fully supporting the Rwanda scheme if anything strengthens Farage and co. "We were right" etc etc.
That's extremely depressing that it's up that high.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
I like neeps

_Os_ wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:20 am

Huge red flag there.

There has always been a possibility they'll copy every Tory policy and sell it on the basis of superior implementation, including things they oppose that have so many holes their feasibility is deeply questionable. If Labour support the Rwanda scheme you know they're capable of anything.

It would validate every open ended right wing argument about migration. Since Thatcher the UK economy has required immigrants, Labour like every government since her aren't going to radically change the structure of the UK's economy (Brexit just meant the same economy under worse operating conditions). It doesn't matter what the immigration numbers are the right will go crazy over them. They'll never be happy because they can't afford to be, migration is all the right have, they're never going congratulate Labour on their migration policies or migration numbers. Last time Labour were in power, the right went mad over about 200k net immigrants per year and blamed Blair for opening UK borders. A basic graph of immigration into the UK shows an upward trend from the 1980s until now, if anything there was a plateau in the 2000s. Yet they still blame Blair to this day.

Labour is also committed to "making Brexit work" without joining the SM or CU. Immigration increased to record levels once Brexit was implemented, Johnson used immigrants to fill the hole in GDP numbers he knew Brexit would create. If the Brexit deal doesn't significantly change, and the structure of the UK's economy doesn't significantly change, but immigration is significantly cut ... then what? Changing almost nothing and cutting immigration, looks economically impossible.

The Tories have crushed themselves by banging on and on about immigrants, a lot of what they've talked about before the local elections is immigrants. The Tories promised the impossible on immigration, those who believed them aren't going to vote Tory. Labour would be stupid to copy them.

If Labour do decide to be stupid everything getting worse becomes more likely. Right wing populism is about blaming immigrants for everything. It started after the 2008 GFC, the BNP got 1m votes in the 2009 Euro elections and 500k votes in the 2010 general election, then it moved to Farage/UKIP, then the Tories/Brexit, then it ate everything. If Labour supports the economic status quo and endorses "immigrants bad" rhetoric, it'll create perfect conditions for Farage or worse to deepen the crisis. Do Tory things, get Tory results.
This is really what Starmer and co have been saying for the last year. Less risk, more stated aim.

And I agree, the results are continued decline and then more aggressive Tories getting in after Starmer when everyone is fed up of him (9 months after the election).
_Os_

epwc wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 am The UK needed immigrants way before Thatcher, that's why there's so many of us brown people here!

My dad came in 1962
Before Thatcher there was net emigration, whatever the number of people arriving there were more leaving the UK. Thatcher changed the structure of the UK economy, a key part of that was eroding/ending the bargaining power of workers by creating a more free and open labour market. This also disincentivised skill formation (lots of jobs, all shit, not much point spending time and money obtaining more skills when the pay uplift isn't great), which again reinforces eroding/ending worker bargaining power, people without skills cannot demand much. That's how the UK ends up with an economy that's less productive than peer nations, but attractive to immigrants who can rock up and immediately participate with basically no skills.

There's millions more vacancies than workers, an over production of shit jobs no one wants but what the economy demands. The UK's retired population will soon be increasing at a faster rate than its working age population. Not favourable conditions for cutting immigration.
Paddington Bear

lemonhead wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 am

Recall an officer trying to help out when I'd a bike nicked outside Holborn tube 20 years back. We'd both thought it had been put up on an auction site the next day and planned to pay said seller a visit. To no avail eventually but was glad he'd had a go at helping out.

Just assumed I'd get nowhere with it these days as nobody'd have either the time or patience for it.
If a police force don’t investigate crimes that happen in broad daylight, captured by multiple CCTV cameras, involving goods that have in-built trackers and clearly orchestrated by a smallish group with the same MO, it is because they can’t be bothered. Resourcing is a fine excuse
lemonhead

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:11 am
lemonhead wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 am

If a police force don’t investigate crimes that happen in broad daylight, captured by multiple CCTV cameras, involving goods that have in-built trackers and clearly orchestrated by a smallish group with the same MO, it is because they can’t be bothered. Resourcing is a fine excuse
Or perhaps they're somewhere else.

I'm not arguing the basic point that these should be followed up, but have worked in a police environment and am very glad not to be anymore. It was relentless and occasionally soul destroying the amount of shit coming through 365 days of the year. And that was also 20 years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ing-crisis

More wondering if resourcing is an issue because with the economy, public finances, reduced prosperity, debt, poverty - and with it, you presume, higher crime rates - you'd want to be thinking about increasing it rather than what this current crowd have done. No surprise we are less healthy in this country and the NHS is practically on its knees, councils going bankrupt, roads shot through like Swiss cheese etc

Never hurts to be curious about the underlying causes. Perhaps it is that they just can't be arsed, or something more nuanced. Might even give you a shot at the right solutions too.
Lobby

Slick wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 am
I like neeps wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:46 am

That's extremely depressing that it's up that high.
I saw a recent Yougov poll which suggested that support and opposition were about equal on 41% each, although only 23% were strongly in favour rather than the 30% who were strongly opposed to it. Interestingly, only about 16% thought it was a good use of public funds.

I suspect Starmer is wary of saying anything that could be spun to suggest he supports immigration, or will ease restrictions and is mindful of Gordon Brown's 'gotcha' moment with the bigoted woman who asked him about immigration during the election. I would hope that, once in power, Labour will justify dropping the scheme on the basis of its lack of value and impact.
_Os_

_Os_ wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:56 am There's millions more vacancies than workers, an over production of shit jobs no one wants but what the economy demands. The UK's retired population will soon be increasing at a faster rate than its working age population. Not favourable conditions for cutting immigration.
Gullis was (literally) shouting about Rwanda and immigrants at PMQs.

There's an 83% drop in health and care workers coming to the UK. The ban on care workers bringing dependants started on March 11th, that month 2400 visas were issued for health and care workers (not just care workers) down from 14300 the year before. There's probably almost no care workers coming to the UK now. This when there's basically full employment and an aging population.

The Tories are doing this on purpose, so that when Labour repeal all these unworkable policies the Tories rushed through in their dying moments, the Tories will then be able to blame Labour for all immigration. A large amount of people will nod along as they inhale the Express/Sun/Daily Mail/Telegraph/GB News.

Looks like the first month of not allowing dependents basically stopped any care workers coming (83% drop in health and care visas).

Seriously worrying re the ability of care homes to function given we already have a recruitment crisis.
Calculon

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm Monty Panesar standing for George Galloway’s party in Ealing
he doesn't come across as very knowledgeable, wants to withdraw from NATO to stop illegal immigration

SaintK

Anyone would think there are local elections this week and a General Election just around the corner
Tories in desperation mode
SaintK

Ymx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:58 pm

Vote sensibily for this Tory right wing nutter :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's as if the Tory's wanted to lose the LOndon mayoral election all along. They could have had a half decent candidate in Paul Scully who could have beaten Khan, but no they went for the full on swivel eyed loon.
Susan Hall, the Tory candidate for London mayor, has joined a Facebook group which contains Islamophobic hate speech and abusive comments about her opponent Sadiq Khan, the day after an exposé about its contents.
A joint investigation by the Observer and Unearthed at the weekend profiled a network of Facebook groups focused on ultra-low emission zones that are operated by Conservative party staff and activists and which contained Islamophobic hate speech, conspiracy theories and abuse. Some of the groups included celebrations of vandalism and comments expressing disbelief that Khan had not been “taken out”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ ... ophobia
epwc

It's truly amazing that she's the best they could offer
Hal Jordan

Now that the Tories have changed the Mayoral election process to FPTP, she might have a chance, which shows how much contempt the Tories have for the democratic process after the last London election when Goldsmith banged the racist drum and got roundly told to fuck off by the electorate, so they spit their dummies to find any way to get rid of Khan.

Funny how the previous supplementary voting system was a perfectly good election method when returning Johnson as Mayor...
_Os_

SaintK wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 pmIt's as if the Tory's wanted to lose the LOndon mayoral election all along. They could have had a half decent candidate in Paul Scully who could have beaten Khan, but no they went for the full on swivel eyed loon.
Maybe the answer is in the question sometimes asked on this thread, "who are this 20% which keeps saying in polls they're going to vote Tory?!".

Saw this the other day, if most of those interviewed are anything to go by there's a lot of Tories out there who sound like Susan Hall. It's why they're going full YMX on immigration in the short campaign directly before the vote, that's when parties foghorn their core offers to energise supporters. Tory polling must be showing that 20% want to see this. The Tories need to convince people to vote for them who aren't particularly interested in compromising to accommodate reality, if Reform offer a bigger unicorn and they vote for that, then the Tories will die. Maybe the thinking is you need a Susan Hall to catch Susan Halls.

Hal Jordan

An approach which will get them to the state the GOP are now in.
I like neeps

Hal Jordan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 pm An approach which will get them to the state the GOP are now in.
They'd take that. The GOP's candidate is going to be President.
sockwithaticket

Rishi Sunak stood up in PMQ's today and said with a straight face, even a tone of triumphalism, that the Conservatives would deliver lower taxes and better services.