The Official F1 Thread

Where goats go to escape
Sandstorm

Imagine if everyone did!
fishfoodie

All signs are that this weeks Las Vegas GP will be a complete dumpster fire.

Tickets have plummeted by 50% over the last week, so attendance will be shite, which isn't too surprising with a GP at dead of night, out in the freezing cold, in a location with a lot of other things to do.

The actual race will probably be a replica of the other races at shit street circuits, but with the added attraction of a course composed of right angles, & cars handling like shopping trolleys going down a flight of stairs.
Guy Smiley

I believe there’s been some heated opposition to the event from locals who are being heavily inconvenienced by it all, understandably. Liberty won’t give a fuck… their Americanisation of F1 is full steam ahead. Just imagine how it will go when Andretti gets his team up and running.

Muricahhh yeah
Insane_Homer

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/67447322

What an utterly predicable shit show. Who could have predicted the thing that happened before at street circuits would happen again.

Next time spend more time getting the track ready and less time blacking out hotel windows.

"Greatest show on earth" FP1 and 2 cancelled LOL

Waste of time, waste of money.

Liberty Media will walk away with their pockets full, and Vegas left paying the bill.
At least they'll stop with this Americanisation nonsense (eventually).
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Guy Smiley

Insane_Homer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:35 am
At least they'll stop with this Americanisation nonsense (eventually).
:lol: :lol:

nahhhh
Grandpa

sturginho

Sainz will have a grid penalty for having to change engines :bimbo:
Sandstorm

sturginho wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:35 am Sainz will have a grid penalty for having to change engines :bimbo:
Surely they can appeal that ruling?
Insane_Homer

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:46 am Surely they can appeal that ruling?
the stewards tried but failed to find a loop hole. Rulz is rulz, blah blah blah.

maybe they need a common sense minister to sort it out?

~

Before FP2 started the organisers were kicking people that had stuck around to actually see cars on track for more than 9 mins out of the grandstands before FP2 started. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

FP2 finished after 4am Vegas time :crazy:

Complete and utter shit show. :clap: :clap: :clap:

&

How not to poke a very angry bear

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:38 pm
How not to poke a very angry bear

Who is the stupid, Pom cnut running the interviews? Could he have read the room ANY more poorly? :crazy:
Insane_Homer

Turned out to be not an entirely shit race.

Some great action and probably the most lead changes of any race this season. 👍
Sandstorm

Verstappen a bit lucky in the incident with Russell in my opinion
assfly

Ja I quiet enjoyed that in the end.

I'm not fan of Max, but I do enjoy his comments on the radio.

"Send them my regards" :lol:
Insane_Homer

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:45 pm Verstappen a bit lucky in the incident with Russell in my opinion
“Totally my fault” - George Russell takes full responsibility for Max Verstappen clash in Las Vegas
:think:
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1041394/1 ... ppen-clash
Guy Smiley

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:13 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:45 pm Verstappen a bit lucky in the incident with Russell in my opinion
“Totally my fault” - George Russell takes full responsibility for Max Verstappen clash in Las Vegas
:think:
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1041394/1 ... ppen-clash
That doesn't discount the luck factor at all. Hamilton had a very similar contact with, Piastri I think, that resulted in punctures and destroyed Hamilton's chances. Piastri showed excellent reaction skills and pitted immediately, the pit entrance was just down the road from the contact. Hamilton went around and lost a lot of time. Verstappen could easily have suffered the same fate.

Where Verstappen definitely benefitted was the weak slap on the wrist penalty the stewards handed down for his move at turn 1 at the start where he forced LeClerc off track because he went off track in an up the inside move that failed. He should have had to give that place back.

Driver of the day for me was Piastri. He pulled off some breathtaking overtakes in conditions other drivers were struggling with and showed he has real pace developing now over race distance. I think he might be up there at that same level as Hamilton and Verstappen, he has that dash of extra brilliance about his driving. Would not be surprised to see him become champion at some stage soon.
Guy Smiley

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari in 2025 alongside LeClerc.
fishfoodie

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:02 pm Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari in 2025 alongside LeClerc.
Ferrari back office continues to look for bigger guns to shot at their feet .....

WTF does Hamilton bring ?

And aged driver, who for the last couple of years has struggled to beat his co-driver, on the same equipment. He should have just retired with some dignity when Verstappen won.

If Ferrari wanted to poach anyone from Merc, it should have been people from the back office to fix the continual fuckups on strategy, or to get their drivers heads in the zone.
Guy Smiley

Ferrari’s share price rose significantly when the news broke.

That’s what he brings, regardless of any actual results.
Slick

Can’t say I’m not enjoying a little bit watching Horner prove that being a cunt on the way up sees folk waving at you on the way down
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Guy Smiley

The Horner situation is just surreal.
sturginho

Guy Smiley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:01 pm The Horner situation is just surreal.
I haven't been following that closely, they announced that their investigation found nothing wrong, and then all the texts he's been sending got leaked?
Sandstorm

Guy Smiley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:01 pm The Horner situation is just surreal.
Celeb: "I didn't do that...."
WhatApp evidence appears soon after....every fucking time. :lol:
Guy Smiley

sturginho wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:29 pm
I haven't been following that closely, they announced that their investigation found nothing wrong, and then all the texts he's been sending got leaked?
Yes... after claims from some that the investigation wasn't transparent and amounted to RB saying 'nothing to see here, move along'. Then an anonymous email address was used to send alleged details including screenshots of the chat to pretty much everyone connected with the F1 paddock.

It's bizarre... an apparently elaborate campaign to have him removed is one angle. I'm not suggesting the case is contrived at all and I'm no fan of Horner but someone with access at that level in F1 (to email addresses for most of the paddock and FIA, etc) is working hard to see this through.

Another release of information coming sometime today, apparently.
Sandstorm

Guy Smiley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:38 pm
It's bizarre... an apparently elaborate campaign to have him removed is one angle. I'm not suggesting the case is contrived at all and I'm no fan of Horner but someone with access at that level in F1 (to email addresses for most of the paddock and FIA, etc) is working hard to see this through.
C'mon! Horner's PA knows everyone in the paddock. She's worked with them all for years.
She released the messages from the anon email account.

This is a Red Bull/Horner/employee issue, no other team is trying to derail their season like this with scandal.

Pointless really because the Red Bull is apparently even quicker this year. Another one-sided, boring season on the way.... :bimbo:
fishfoodie

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:53 pm
C'mon! Horner's PA knows everyone in the paddock. She's worked with them all for years.

This is a Red Bull/Horner/employee issue, no other team is trying to derail their season like this with scandal.

Pointless really because the Red Bull is apparently even quicker this year. Another one-sided, boring season on the way.... :bimbo:
Really ?

You don't think there might just be an element of payback from Toto & Merc around the Suzi investigation ?
Insane_Homer

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 am

Really ?

You don't think there might just be an element of payback from Toto & Merc around the Suzi investigation ?
It's the less likely of the 2 motivations, the most obvious is the power struggle within with Marko. My money's there.

It is interesting how each incident has been dealt with in the paddock. Susie dodgy dealing were quickly dismissed as misogyny and swept under the rug in a matter of days.

For the ~100 people that this leaked dossier apparently went to, including media peeps, no ones seems willing to publish them?
All the outlets are reporting there are files, & if it were as damning as claimed, surely they would plastered all over the tabloids by now?
Dinsdale Piranha

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:10 am
fishfoodie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 am

Really ?

It's the less likely of the 2 motivations, the most obvious is the power struggle within with Marko. My money's there.

It is interesting how each incident has been dealt with in the paddock. Susie dodgy dealing were quickly dismissed as misogyny and swept under the rug in a matter of days.

For the ~100 people that this leaked dossier apparently went to, including media peeps, no ones seems willing to publish them?
All the outlets are reporting there are files, & if it were as damning as claimed, surely they would plastered all over the tabloids by now?
The bits that have been released make him look sleazy but not beyond that. It's him hitting on a younger member of staff.

This is almost certainly a power struggle inside Red Bull.
Sandstorm

Max driving over the horizon already. Another dull, one-sided season coming up.
Guy Smiley

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:02 pm Max driving over the horizon already. Another dull, one-sided season coming up.
Then don't watch it. The few of us in here with some enthusiasm for the sport have plenty of goings on within it to keep us interested and not having your repetitive whinging to deal with won't detract from that.
Sandstorm

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:16 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:02 pm Max driving over the horizon already. Another dull, one-sided season coming up.
Then don't watch it. The few of us in here with some enthusiasm for the sport have plenty of goings on within it to keep us interested and not having your repetitive whinging to deal with won't detract from that.
Is that you, Christian?
Guy Smiley

Amazing from Carlos Sainz this weekend...

amazing. Feel really happy for him, what a fairytale.
fishfoodie

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:32 am Amazing from Carlos Sainz this weekend...

amazing. Feel really happy for him, what a fairytale.
It feels like whoever used to decide track strategy in Ferrari has been moved into the driver lineup office.
Insane_Homer

Wtf was Alonso thinking? Very odd.

Decent enough race, excellent result for Carlos and the Mclarens.

One to forget for the Mercs
Guy Smiley

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:07 pm Wtf was Alonso thinking? Very odd.
I didn't watch after the race so I only got the verdict now, morning time over here. You could see in the replay that he checked somehow, the onboard from Russell's car showed it pretty clearly. I'm glad he's copped a decent penalty... the FIA has been too lenient with drivers who place others at risk and this clearly did that, Russell's frantic radio calls should clarify to the observer the seriousness of the situation. El Loco knew what he was doing, as do all the drivers. They need a wake up call.
fishfoodie

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:10 pm
I didn't watch after the race so I only got the verdict now, morning time over here. You could see in the replay that he checked somehow, the onboard from Russell's car showed it pretty clearly. I'm glad he's copped a decent penalty... the FIA has been too lenient with drivers who place others at risk and this clearly did that, Russell's frantic radio calls should clarify to the observer the seriousness of the situation. El Loco knew what he was doing, as do all the drivers. They need a wake up call.
Not defending Alonso at all, even though I am a fan of his, because this was beyond just making your car as wide as possible, but, I was surprised how badly surprised Russell was by it, as the footage of it from his in-car camera, you can clearly see the energy harvest lights flashing on Alonso's car going into the esses. I suppose he might have been fiddling with his own boost settings to prepare for his overtake move, & just missed how long Alonso decelerated ?
Rhubarb & Custard

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:06 pm
Not defending Alonso at all, even though I am a fan of his, because this was beyond just making your car as wide as possible, but, I was surprised how badly surprised Russell was by it, as the footage of it from his in-car camera, you can clearly see the energy harvest lights flashing on Alonso's car going into the esses. I suppose he might have been fiddling with his own boost settings to prepare for his overtake move, & just missed how long Alonso decelerated ?
What does Russell do, it's not just the harvesting that has Alonso suddenly so much slower, and Russell is trying to lose pace going into a corner whilst in dirty air, his choices are perhaps limited to pile into the back of Alonso or brake/lift as he did and pray your car finds an entry point into the corner even in the dirty air.

Maybe if someone wants to come out and say what Alonso did is entirely reasonable setting up a different braking point to arguably set up a different exit strategy to a coming corner to overall protect his track position, and really that'd need to include some current drivers, then it's time to look again at Russell. Just as is it looks bad because Alonso's taking away any sensible, arguably even any safe, option for Russell
Sandstorm

Alonso is getting a pass from a lot of fans because it’s Alonso. Imagine if Stroll took Russell out today…….
Guy Smiley

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:06 pm
I think El Loco is being a tad economical with the truth... to no-one's surprise.

His public response...

the steward's judgment...

ImageImage

and the telemetry trace for the incident and the lap before...

I don't think Russell could be reasonably expected to anticipate such a slowing from Alonso, it's clearly more than you'd expect and Alonso admits as much in saying he got it wrong.
fishfoodie

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 pm Alonso is getting a pass from a lot of fans because it’s Alonso. Imagine if Stroll took Russell out today…….
That was exactly my internal dialog when responding, because I've been critical of Strolls shit in the past, & Alonso's behavior yesterday was only slightly less egregious. It was one of those cases where a drivers instinct when they've a sniff of points, put everything else in 2nd place.

If Stroll had gotten 3pts on his license for every time he did something similar last season, he'd have sat out a couple of races.
Guy Smiley

From the things you didn't expect to see file...