Official Photography Thread

Where goats go to escape
Turbiner

I'm sure the board is full of good photographers. I pretty much just mess about with my phone. Took this pic a couple of weeks ago.

Ted.

Where's that?
Turbiner

Ted. wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 amWhere's that?
Off the North East Coast of Scotland. Just as the fog rolled in, in the afternoon.
Chrysoprase

Are those the wind turbines that upset Trump?
PCPhil

Oh, go on then. This fred is like leaving chocolate on my pillow...

Edited for you :-) If you use the little image icon and put the URL in between the tags you get a better effect, image automatically sized and if you click on the image now.....
Thank you my Guardian Angel
Last edited by PCPhil on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Sards

I enjoy photographing food...and machinery...busy with a course atm
Turbiner

Chrysoprase wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am Are those the wind turbines that upset Trump?
Nope, these are the floating ones off Peterhead a little further north. Not sure whether you can see them from his golf course but they definitely don't give you Cancer!
notfatcat

PCPhil, you have a distinct style and I'm curious about your workflow. Are you getting those results from a single image? If so, are you doing anything vaguely complex like using luminosity masks? Or are you manually blending more than one exposure?
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
PCPhil

notfatcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:19 pm PCPhil, you have a distinct style and I'm curious about your workflow. Are you getting those results from a single image? If so, are you doing anything vaguely complex like using luminosity masks? Or are you manually blending more than one exposure?
Hiya, one image but I use Capture One. Just about the best picture development software I know. has a 30 day trial and takes a few goes to ‘get it’ (help vids are good). I tend to use layers and luminosity masks quite a bit. I try not to spend any longer than max 15 mins on a photo or it gets that over processed look.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
notfatcat

Cheers. I sometimes think about buying C1 but it doesn't have the cataloguing capability of LR, which is essential for my work.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
PCPhil

You’re probably right on the catalog side of it but I know it’s a high priority for them. Also occasionally miss panorama stitching but C1 just produces such clean images. The halo suppression tool is amazing. I Also like the fact that it is an all in one package for development and editing and because it is a hobby for me I can be very picky about what I want to develop and even more picky about getting anything printed or framed.
sorCrer

Sards wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm Image

Fokken Woolies Premium Burger bun :?
ASMO

sorCrer wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm
Sards wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm Image

Fokken Woolies Premium Burger bun :?
yea, this....could have at least used a Brioche Bun ;-)
fishfoodie

I'm a crap photographer, but I've got these two out my kitchen window

troglodyte

Really glad someone started this thread on here. I mentioned on the Not-notplanetrugy forum is one of the threads I'd like to continue, seems someone seen it (or felt the same about it).

PCPhil, that photo of the wooden bridge is pure perfection. Absolutely stunning.
Guy Smiley

I’m stuck without my laptop for months with travel restrictions... anyone got a decent tip for a pic hosting site? I used imgur but they’ve changed their mobile access and you need to download their app, I’d rather find another way.
ASMO

Dropbox? Onedrive?
Guy Smiley

Cheers ASMO
PCPhil

To bump this fred

Turbiner

PCPhil wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
notfatcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:19 pm PCPhil, you have a distinct style and I'm curious about your workflow. Are you getting those results from a single image? If so, are you doing anything vaguely complex like using luminosity masks? Or are you manually blending more than one exposure?
Hiya, one image but I use Capture One. Just about the best picture development software I know. has a 30 day trial and takes a few goes to ‘get it’ (help vids are good). I tend to use layers and luminosity masks quite a bit. I try not to spend any longer than max 15 mins on a photo or it gets that over processed look.
Does 'Capture One' run on most laptops or is it quite memory/processor intensive? Never really done any picture development in the past but up the hills now more than in the pub so looking to get more into it.
PCPhil

Turbiner wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:52 pm
Does 'Capture One' run on most laptops or is it quite memory/processor intensive? Never really done any picture development in the past but up the hills now more than in the pub so looking to get more into it.
Runs perfectly on my work i5 laptop with 8MB of RAM. I have a 27" screen for work at home and these are dirt cheap now unless you want a full developers monitor. For most people absolutely no need for that expense. As I say there is a 30 day trial and I have gone for the subscription model for £10/month. If you try it then allow some time to get into masking and watch the vids. That's when you can make a picture 'pop!'.

Oh, and if you can always shoot a copy in RAW and store the photos. I don't know what you knowledge is but think of RAW as a digital negative. Dull as dishwater when you see it first but that is where you get the best results. I have some pictures from back in 2007 that I shot in RAW and as s/w develops you can really bring out new features in the shots. Can't do that with jpg's.
Turbiner

PCPhil wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 pm
Turbiner wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:52 pm

Runs perfectly on my work i5 laptop with 8MB of RAM. I have a 27" screen for work at home and these are dirt cheap now unless you want a full developers monitor. For most people absolutely no need for that expense. As I say there is a 30 day trial and I have gone for the subscription model for £10/month. If you try it then allow some time to get into masking and watch the vids. That's when you can make a picture 'pop!'.

Oh, and if you can always shoot a copy in RAW and store the photos. I don't know what you knowledge is but think of RAW as a digital negative. Dull as dishwater when you see it first but that is where you get the best results. I have some pictures from back in 2007 that I shot in RAW and as s/w develops you can really bring out new features in the shots. Can't do that with jpg's.
Cheers PCPhil. I'll start a trial and see how I get on.

I've a wee Sony A5000 I take up the hills and I've been shooting in RAW as I know at some stage I'd get round to doing some editing!
PCPhil

Wise move. What hills are you walking?
PCPhil

Out for a walk this morning so feell it my duty to post a snap.
First time I have used the 'Keystone Vertical' tool in Capture One and very impressed. Gives me two vertical bars on the picture each with two movable points. Shot at 24mm the first brick pillers were very laid back. Lined up the points to correct to vertical and voila. Beautifully straight.
"Image"
PCPhil

Had the Thursday off last week but the weather was awful. What do you do when the weather is bad? Find some water!
Light wasn't brilliant but it's an awsome place. Can't make my mind up between short exposure with rough looking water or long exposure silky.
"Image" "Image"
Insane_Homer

Comet neowise at 3am

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
PCPhil

I like that. I have ' never'managed to take a good astronomy picture. Surprising since it is one of my favourite topics. Well done!
Koalabyte

Not mine obviously. Blue butterflies in Amazon rainforrest
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'... man up cupcake!!!
Guy Smiley

Bump...

Nuptse (West Ridge, Everest) from Lobuche at sunset.
Guy Smiley

Everest at sunset from Kalapatthar...

PCPhil

Can’t see I’ll ever get to the Himalaya but it must have been pretty special. What was the highest you got to?
Out of interest, what camera was it taken with? If it was possible would you like me to see if I could enhance it for you?
Guy Smiley

You can play with the image if you like, I don’t mind. I was so cold and miserable taking that shot of Everest that I just left the camera on auto.

It’s a Nikon D3400. I’ve actually got a pic of the mountain from that spot that I took on manual settings, I’ll see if I can find it.

As for altitude... wow😂. I took that sunset shot from the alternative hike to base camp. There is a village at the head of the Khumbu valley, Gorakshep. From there base camp is a couple of hours hike. I chose to climb Kalapatthar instead because it gives you views of Everest. Perspective blocks Everest from view down in the valley... Kalapatthar’s ‘summit’ is 5635m or so and I’ve got that far.

I’ve been up that valley twice. First time I was attempting the Three Passes trek, deviating off the Base Camp trail to cross a series of high passes and looping around a wider sweep of country. The Base Camp (EBC) walk is an in and out hike along the same path and very busy. Hiking at altitude is all about acclimatising... taking the time to let your body build enough red blood cells to cope with thin air. I managed to top out at 5500m or more three days running on that walk but I’d had a bit of Delhi belly on the way up and got weak then developed a serious cough. I had to turn back and descend as quickly as possible. It took me 9 days hard walking with a couple of rest days on top to get up there. 3 days down😂.

For anyone dreaming of maybe trekking in Nepal... I would say do it as soon as you possibly can. Don’t put it off (I did, for 25 years)... I have a slightly pessimistic view of things regarding Nepal. The government there is hopeless and apparently corrupt. Chinese influence is easily apparent and capitalising on long held enmity with India. Last year China laid claim to a few slices of border territory and also subtly changed the language they use in referring to Everest itself. They already patrol way past the border into Nepalese territory in the remote regions up in Mustang, there are several accounts of foreign travellers being turned back kilometres away from the border by Chinese patrols. On top of that very tangible threat to access, there is the climate change factor to consider. With the rate of change occurring in the area I fear the region will become unattractive at best and perhaps worse as the ice retreats. For now there is plenty of snow to dress the mountains and provide meltwater. I’d go now.
PCPhil

Jpeg is harder to do stuff with rather than RAW but I have a few ideas. Do you have the largest res image I could download from anywhere?
Sards

The course I did focused on manual settings. I have a basic Canon with 3 lenses. The 55 I use for most of my shots and the 250 I use for sport shots. Took some pics of the lads surfing at the local on Jpeg not using the Jpeg and raw option which I do now. One of the lads got upset because I didn't have a raw image to send to him so that he could manipulate to see if it was him in the picture. Stopped posting my shots after that. Also struggled to get clarity on the surfers faces shooting from beach.

After the course I sort of understand the settings but also realized that the best combinations come from experience. And that means spending a lot time with your camera. Right now I am more comfortable using AV and adjusting the white balance to suit conditions.
Sards

The course I did focused on manual settings. I have a basic Canon with 3 lenses. The 55 I use for most of my shots and the 250 I use for sport shots. Took some pics of the lads surfing at the local on Jpeg not using the Jpeg and raw option which I do now. One of the lads got upset because I didn't have a raw image to send to him so that he could manipulate to see if it was him in the picture. Stopped posting my shots after that. Also struggled to get clarity on the surfers faces shooting from beach.

After the course I sort of understand the settings but also realized that the best combinations come from experience. And that means spending a lot time with your camera. Right now I am more comfortable using AV and adjusting the white balance to suit conditions.
PCPhil

same here. I use AV most of time. Switch to S when in low light but still handheld. I use full manual with Tripod when time to compose the landscape shots.
Sards

PCPhil wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:36 pm same here. I use AV most of time. Switch to S when in low light but still handheld. I use full manual with Tripod when time to compose the landscape shots.
I am going to work with S as most of my pics are indoors.
Thanks for the tip
vball

Nice image ... bright and colourful with the subject well presented.

I just about always shoot manual. I use Canon full-frame from landscapes but also now use Olympus EM1-X for rugby and wildlife. The Olympus is so much lighter with a 300mm lens than a full-frame Canon. Only issue is the low light performance. Full-frame still so much better but with Topaz, the Olympus is more than usable.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Guy Smiley

PCPhil wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:04 pm Jpeg is harder to do stuff with rather than RAW but I have a few ideas. Do you have the largest res image I could download from anywhere?
No I don’t... my laptop and camera are at home in NZ and I’ve been stuck at work in Aus for 6 months. I’m just posting pics from the phone😔
PCPhil

Ahh, shame. I was thinking to vertically crop at where the dark foreground begins on rhs and horizontally crop at the exact point where the left hand mountain rises. Lift the mid foreground shadow then sharpen Everest to max (suppressing any halos).