Official Photography Thread

Where goats go to escape
Torquemada 1420

notfatcat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:56 pm
laurent wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:05 pm Lucky you I ordered an R3 ...

May get it in next few weeks...
:thumbup:

I'm almost more upset at having to spend £140 on a fucking memory card. A hundred and forty fucking quid!
Yeah. I think in relative terms, they are more expensive than ever given the sensor/file size of each pic these days. God help you if you bracket or, worse, shoot continuous.
Torquemada 1420

notfatcat wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 am When I start spending 10k at a time will probably be when I go for medium format!
Oddly, my cost outlay was because of trying to achieve the reverse i.e. trying to cut weight down as much as possible.
laurent

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:50 pm
notfatcat wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 am When I start spending 10k at a time will probably be when I go for medium format!
Oddly, my cost outlay was because of trying to achieve the reverse i.e. trying to cut weight down as much as possible.
I will do that as moving from 2 camera to 1 ....
vball

inactionman wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:03 pm
vball wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:28 pm I have Olympus E-M1X and ordered an OM-1 but it has not arrived yet. Off to Botswana next week but am sure the X will do well enough.

I did get a front cover from my February trip to Iceland though .... was very pleased.

Cracking stuff!

I've actually just gone back from M43 to my DSLR, simply as I can't really justify having lenses for two systems. Really noticing the increase in weight.
Ah my Iceland Cave Man image was shot with Fiji GFX. I have Olympus for sport and wildlife as it is lighter and 2x crop make large focal length (in 35mm terms) achievable. Fuji is bloody heavy and I use it tripod mounted too.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Guy Smiley

I'd appreciate some advice...

I'm a hobby type photographer. I prefer landscape and scenery type shots.

After helping someone out with a place to stay while I was stuck overseas during Covid border closures my DSLR was stolen. I'd only had the damned thing for a couple of years... a Nikon 3400 chosen as an ideal 'starter' type camera (I'd call myself a beginner) with a couple of optional lenses including a Sigma wide angle unit.

I haven't got around to replacing the camera... I'd been waiting for the court process to complete to see what sort of compensation I might receive.

I'm thinking to do that sometime soon and I'd appreciate any suggestions. Camera and lens combo, I don't need to go nuts.
laurent

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:22 pm I'd appreciate some advice...

After helping someone out with a place to stay while I was stuck overseas during Covid border closures my DSLR was stolen. I'd only had the damned thing for a couple of years... a Nikon 3400 chosen as an ideal 'starter' type camera (I'd call myself a beginner) with a couple of optional lenses including a Sigma wide angle unit.

I haven't got around to replacing the camera... I'd been waiting for the court process to complete to see what sort of compensation I might receive.

I'm thinking to do that sometime soon and I'd appreciate any suggestions. Camera and lens combo, I don't need to go nuts.
If you're starting from scratch go in a shop and check stuff out. Go for comfort in the hands and see how the menu system suits you.

There are no lemons really at this point.

On a side note try to get full frame if in budget, this is a nicer option for landscape.
PCPhil

Agree with most of what you say Laurent but id doesn’t have to be full frame. I actually stripped all my kit back 2 years ago and now just have Fuji X100V. I was getting too obsessed with striving for the perfect shot.

But of course, there is always the nagging voice whispering away that you must have full frame, and inevitably you succumb at some point. :lol:
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
notfatcat

My nagging voice is that I must have a Swiss made technical camera with a top of the range Phase 2 digital back and a bunch of Rodenstock lenses.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
Torquemada 1420

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:22 pm I'd appreciate some advice...

My take.

1) Typically, the only way you can cover all your bases is to carry a suitcase everywhere and have deep pockets. You have to work out how much you are prepared to carry and how much you want to spend. Keep in mind that good lenses are forever. Digital bodies disposable (assuming you aren't going all in one). It's real easy to buy stuff that you simply won't bother taking with you.

I have no flash because I won't carry the weight. I'll live with higher ISO and a tripod and without fill in capability.

This also falls into the comfort issue mentioned earlier. Some early mirrorless had bodies that were too small to grip properly and were nigh unusable with a big lens attached. DO NOT FORGET to play with the controls and UI. I have an α7R IV and the complexity of the UI is mind boggling. I knew all this before I bought and spent the 1st few weeks basically disabling everything, customising the controls and effectively making it a manual camera! It's real easy to get seduced by loads of function sh*t that you won't every use or, worse, f**ks with your pics without you knowing.

2) Are you going to post process or not? If not then you might well need your camera to do stuff onboard** the rest of us leave til later such as
- cropping
- conversion from raw to a useable format (and remember even uncompressed jpeg is still pretty sh*t e.g. it won't scale)
- image correction
** and the quality of this varies a lot

3) Viewfinder, EVF or nothing? Because if you are taking pictures, being able to see and accurately capture what you intended matters, right?
IMHO
- EVF is ideal but equally useless unless it's a very good EVF
- nothing is a huge problem because every one of these I've seen gives the user issues in bright light + this eats battery

4) Full frame or not.
I would never go below the equivalent of 35mm if you are doing landscape and scenery but you might have no choice in some instances.

5) Lenses or all in one?
Lenses gives you more flexibility....... and more weight, more cost and the farting around involved in changing lenses.......... and the dirt that gets in your body as a result.
All in one then divides into
- (super) zoom
- fixed focus
The greater the range of zoom, pretty much the lower the picture quality. Fixed focus will usually mean great quality but then you are stuck with how far you can walk to change framing.

Also note that many built in lenses are not capable of manual focus i.e. you can only focus electronically. That can be a nightmare in low light or when doing macro work.

Lesson here. I bought the boss a X100V after her old Proshot died. It's a wonderful camera which is capable of taking amazing pics (as Phil will testify). She hates it. Can't get used to the controls and UI and does not want to post process and misses being able to zoom to frame. Also, it turned out that Fuji's raw format (RAF) was not compatible with many processing software...... (you can look this up but Fuji uses X-Trans sensors whereas everyone else uses Bayer).

I might think of more but in short, test drive the hell outta what you are planning to buy BEFORE you buy.
Last edited by Torquemada 1420 on Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vball

The Fuji X100 range is superb. I am taking my X100F with me to Botswana as a quick shot camera for wandering about. Fits lovely in the jacket pocket and the images are high quality with lots of latitude for post processing. really fancy a Leica Monochrome but I think it will stay as a fancy for a while.
Guy Smiley

Thanks for the feedback, especially your detailed effort, Torq.

Browsing continues.
Torquemada 1420

vball wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:22 pm The Fuji X100 range is superb. I am taking my X100F with me to Botswana as a quick shot camera for wandering about. Fits lovely in the jacket pocket and the images are high quality with lots of latitude for post processing. really fancy a Leica Monochrome but I think it will stay as a fancy for a while.
I assume you are doing wildlife stuff in Botswana? :?:
vball

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:16 pm
vball wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:22 pm The Fuji X100 range is superb. I am taking my X100F with me to Botswana as a quick shot camera for wandering about. Fits lovely in the jacket pocket and the images are high quality with lots of latitude for post processing. really fancy a Leica Monochrome but I think it will stay as a fancy for a while.
Yip .... on a photo safari with Pangolin for a week. They also supply guests with Canon EOS ( not sure of model), lenses including Sigma 150-600 plus tution. i am taking my own gear and while a fairly experienced photographer, I will take advice when needed.My wife is no photographer and am sure she will avail herself of cameras and help. Bet she gets better photos than me !!
Torquemada 1420

vball wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:43 pm
Yip .... on a photo safari with Pangolin for a week. They also supply guests with Canon EOS ( not sure of model), lenses including Sigma 150-600 plus tution. i am taking my own gear and while a fairly experienced photographer, I will take advice when needed.My wife is no photographer and am sure she will avail herself of cameras and help. Bet she gets better photos than me !!
Phew! Was wondering how you'd get anything but specks with the Fuji!!!
PCPhil

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 pm
vball wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:43 pm

Phew! Was wondering how you'd get anything but specks with the Fuji!!!
Just use your legs instead of a zoom. Bout 6 feet from a lion will get you a great shot.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Torquemada 1420

PCPhil wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:39 am Just use your legs instead of a zoom. Bout 6 feet from a lion will get you a great shot.
Lion more likely to run. Except in Masai Mara where they are bored of humans. Now, a hippo, that's a prime candidate for a close up..... :grin:
vball

Wife has the Fuji ... should be able to get some action shots as she goads a hippo. I favour her as she is a hard nut ...
vball

Some from the Chobe River last week .............

https://imgur.com/k45wp2w

https://imgur.com/gallery/nn5Ritr
Torquemada 1420

vball wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 pm Some from the Chobe River last week .............

Very good. How did you get the black background and lighting on the baboon? Assume it wasn't an "in the wild" pic unlike the kingfisher!
laurent

Got my R3 at last

The thing is nuts it got the eye from a photo ID that i have on my desk...

A bit of a huge update from the 7D and 7D II with all the tracking features added.
vball

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:50 pm
vball wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 pm Some from the Chobe River last week .............

Very good. How did you get the black background and lighting on the baboon? Assume it wasn't an "in the wild" pic unlike the kingfisher!
The baboon is wild image too ....early light on the face with a dark background. Then in Lightroom highlight background and pull all sliders to make it black. Key is the base image though ... light on face and dark background.
vball

laurent wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:57 pm Got my R3 at last

A bit of a huge update from the 7D and 7D II with all the tracking features added.
Photo guide I was with last week had one .... superb bit of kit. Jealous...
laurent

vball wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:09 pm
laurent wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:57 pm Got my R3 at last

Photo guide I was with last week had one .... superb bit of kit. Jealous...
Was waiting ages for 7DIII which never came out almost got a 1DX quite happy I did not (waiting that long is the only reason I had the cash).
inactionman

Really like the Baboon one, the lighting is very nice over the eyes. I tried to take a similar type of image at Edinburgh zoo with the chimps in the indoor area, but the windows were covered with manky simian handprints and the images are just too soft.

Did the OM-D arrive? Any notable improvements over the EM-1x? We've had a few recent outlays on new car and house so I'm going to need to save my pennies, but once the savings are refreshed I was toying with either a Pentax K3iii (I'm expecting prices to drop) or a used EM-1x or EM-1 Mkii or equivalent purely for wildlife and for the improved AF tracking. My current K3 is too slow AF and my GH5 isn't the best at tracking, one issue might be that I've only got a Pana-Leica telephoto in M43 and not sure whether Panasonic lenses get the best out of Olympus bodies.

A quick and dirty check suggests the arrival of the OM-D is making a few EM-1xs appear on the used market.
PCPhil

I like the kingfisher. Love the colours and the focus looks spot on.
vball

inactionman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:59 pm

Really like the Baboon one, the lighting is very nice over the eyes. I tried to take a similar type of image at Edinburgh zoo with the chimps in the indoor area, but the windows were covered with manky simian handprints and the images are just too soft.

Did the OM-D arrive? Any notable improvements over the EM-1x? We've had a few recent outlays on new car and house so I'm going to need to save my pennies, but once the savings are refreshed I was toying with either a Pentax K3iii (I'm expecting prices to drop) or a used EM-1x or EM-1 Mkii or equivalent purely for wildlife and for the improved AF tracking. My current K3 is too slow AF and my GH5 isn't the best at tracking, one issue might be that I've only got a Pana-Leica telephoto in M43 and not sure whether Panasonic lenses get the best out of Olympus bodies.

A quick and dirty check suggests the arrival of the OM-D is making a few EM-1xs appear on the used market.
My OM-1 is due in next batch to the shop so hopefully in next 2 weeks (daughter graduates from Edin Uni so hoping it is here for that).
Pana-Leica lenses are superb .. 50/50 with Olympus in the 100-400 on E-M1X. The Olympus Zuiko Pro are better though.
My E-M1X was excellent on focus and birds in flight. Will post some in flight later.
vball

Bird time ....

Imagefree photo host
TheFrog

vball wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:53 pm Bird time ....

Imagefree photo host
:thumbup:
Torquemada 1420

vball wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:53 pm Bird time ....

Imagefree photo host
Maribou stork?
PCPhil

No1 for me. That could easily win a few comps.
laurent

Well that was a hot time on holidays (34+ for 3 weeks)

Got some time with the R3 however it's hard not too look like a Perv on the riverside when you carry a big Tele lens and a monster camera

The eye detection does not really work with the subjects below unfortunately ...

Got also some wild eagles too but need to finish sorting that (30FPS makes mad sorting) latest firmware lets you select the FPS which I will likely use (need to update first)
Most of the Proxy shots were done at lower FPS (14 I think)

I mostly used the 100-500 during this trip the 24-105 was left in the bag (I use an M5 + 15-45 ) when doing walks...
weegie01

vball wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:28 pm I have Olympus E-M1X and ordered an OM-1 but it has not arrived yet. Off to Botswana next week but am sure the X will do well enough.
So not one of these.

I still have one in a cupboard, along with an OM2n and multiple lenses.

Like high end audio, something I was into in a big way for a long time then lost interest.

I have recently inherited a Canon EOS 650D and various lenses from my son. No doubt well out of date, but I'll start playing again.
laurent

First training so tried to get a better grip on the R3

Autofocus is scary good

Torquemada 1420

laurent wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:15 pm
Got also some wild eagles too but need to finish sorting that (30FPS makes mad sorting) latest firmware lets you select the FPS which I will likely use (need to update first)

I mostly used the 100-500 during this trip the 24-105 was left in the bag (I use an M5 + 15-45 ) when doing walks...
I never use continuous shoot because it's a pain. Although I ought to for some macro work.
laurent

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:03 am

I never use continuous shoot because it's a pain. Although I ought to for some macro work.
For Sport and wildlife it's a must (unfortunately the new feature is not what I expected) .

Still not sure if I want Max speed or medium speed right now (I think I want something in the middle. 30 is too much 12 is back to my 7DII (with battery pack). Probably 20 would suit me better.

I don't use continuous shooting in other context.
inactionman

laurent wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 am

For Sport and wildlife it's a must (unfortunately the new feature is not what I expected) .

Still not sure if I want Max speed or medium speed right now (I think I want something in the middle. 30 is too much 12 is back to my 7DII (with battery pack). Probably 20 would suit me better.

My camera lets you choose how you want the AF to work under AF-C, whether you want focus priority or FPS priority.

This should - I say should - slow down the framerate a bit.

To be frank, the AF is not Pentax strong point and I'm constantly half shouting 'take the f-ing photo' as the AF bounces round just as I've got everything nicely framed.
laurent

inactionman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 am
laurent wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 am

My camera lets you choose how you want the AF to work under AF-C, whether you want focus priority or FPS priority.

To be frank, the AF is not Pentax strong point and I'm constantly half shouting 'take the f-ing photo' as the AF bounces round just as I've got everything nicely framed.
It's an EOS R3 I am in full subject /eye tracking it still does 30fps (at the price I payed I would expect it).
vball

laurent wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 am It's an EOS R3 I am in full subject /eye tracking it still does 30fps (at the price I payed I would expect it).
Does the R3 have Subject tracking in terms of people? I know my Olympus does birds, animals ... trains, but not people. I do not use Tracking either, just the Continous AF. But then again, it is not a R3 !!
Torquemada 1420

inactionman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 am My camera lets you choose how you want the AF to work under AF-C, whether you want focus priority or FPS priority.

I so rarely use AF. I know tech has massively improved but I am always reminded of being in Siberia and a guy whose AF was having a miserable time with white everywhere!

In part, it's because I am either shooting scapes or macro and AF is valueless in those scenarios. My favourite lens is entirely manual (which I re-engineered to fit my Sony)
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/carl-zeis ... -a-review/

but even when I'm using an AF lens, I manual focus: I have assigned a custom function to the camera which goes 1x, 4x, 10x in steps and with an EVF, it's trivial to ensure focus is tack sharp........ which
you need when it's a 60 megapixel sensor.

I get that in sports and wildlife (not the macro kind) AF might be useful but as a counter
- at Le Mans, say, I'm more likely to choose a focus point and lock it
- or, alternatively, with a 60MP sensor, you can afford to take a wider view (DOF much deeper) and simply crop the hell out of it

I took this, hand held with the Contax (click on for larger)

at a raptor centre. Everyone else with serious cameras was using a huge telephoto.......... and mostly got jack sh*t because
a) The FOV was so small, tracking the birds was nigh impossible
b) AF really doesn't work well with animals' eyes

{EDIT}
Sh*t. Forgot to say, I only took less than 10 shots and all were useable (i.e. in focus) including

My point being that the success rate is massively higher.

Where I am screwed is stuff at long distance because when I rationalised all my kit to save weight a few years back, I dumped all the high mag lenses. My longest range now is 70mm.
inactionman

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am
inactionman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 am My camera lets you choose how you want the AF to work under AF-C, whether you want focus priority or FPS priority.

I so rarely use AF. I know tech has massively improved but I am always reminded of being in Siberia and a guy whose AF was having a miserable time with white everywhere!

In part, it's because I am either shooting scapes or macro and AF is valueless in those scenarios. My favourite lens is entirely manual (which I re-engineered to fit my Sony)
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/carl-zeis ... -a-review/

but even when I'm using an AF lens, I manual focus: I have assigned a custom function to the camera which goes 1x, 4x, 10x in steps and with an EVF, it's trivial to ensure focus is tack sharp........ which
you need when it's a 60 megapixel sensor.

I get that in sports and wildlife (not the macro kind) AF might be useful but as a counter
- at Le Mans, say, I'm more likely to choose a focus point and lock it
- or, alternatively, with a 60MP sensor, you can afford to take a wider view (DOF much deeper) and simply crop the hell out of it

I took this, hand held with the Contax (click on for larger)

at a raptor centre. Everyone else with serious cameras was using a huge telephoto.......... and mostly got jack sh*t because
a) The FOV was so small, tracking the birds was nigh impossible
b) AF really doesn't work well with animals' eyes

{EDIT}
Sh*t. Forgot to say, I only took less than 10 shots and all were useable (i.e. in focus) including

My point being that the success rate is massively higher.

Where I am screwed is stuff at long distance because when I rationalised all my kit to save weight a few years back, I dumped all the high mag lenses. My longest range now is 70mm.
Nice - I love owls, amazing creatures.

I've found the AF can get confused by background with birds in flight, so anything flying against trees has never worked well for me - which is unfortunate as anything above treeline is generally too far away.

In general I've rarely had much joy with birds in flight, and not all can be laid at the feet of the equipment. I know my technique requires a lot of work, as I tend to lose the bird when panning and by the time I've regained the framing and the AF has invariably hunted in and out and I've lost the shot. This is one area where I've found M43 really tricky, as anything that drops out of focus (at least on the early model OM-D EM5 and the GH5) would completely disappear from view, so once it's lost it's truly lost. At least with my Pentax DSLR you can still perceive the bird even if blurred, it's more that the AF would really struggle to lock - I may give MF a go.

The EM1-Xs are starting to come up a lot cheaper used, and I'd be interested to give one a go to see just how much tracking has improved. Cameras like the R3 are well outside of my price range (well, my wife's point of forbearance).