Official Photography Thread

Where goats go to escape
Steve

subscribed for education
Torquemada 1420

Can't imbed properly so click on the thumbs.

PCPhil

Always like panos but they need to printed for a wall hanging to do them justice. Very nice.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Torquemada 1420

PCPhil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:10 pm Always like panos but they need to printed for a wall hanging to do them justice. Very nice.
Thanks. Yes, the Swansea Bay one struggles even on my 27" Eizo!
PCPhil

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 pm
PCPhil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:10 pm Always like panos but they need to printed for a wall hanging to do them justice. Very nice.
Thanks. Yes, the Swansea Bay one struggles even on my 27" Eizo!
Yep. Screens are just not right for panos. A nice acrylic done by Loxley is best.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
TheFrog

notfatcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:33 pm Cheers. I sometimes think about buying C1 but it doesn't have the cataloguing capability of LR, which is essential for my work.
Are you a pro photographer Fatcat?

I use LR personally and happy with it.

You are right that PCPhil photos have a look of HDR pictures.
TheFrog

Do you guys have any news from some of the top photographers on PR?

I think Troglodiet comes to mind. Or WelshmanBKK.
laurent

Trog is around.

Not sure if welsmanbkk made the jump.
troglodiet

TheFrog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:50 am Do you guys have any news from some of the top photographers on PR?

Oi mate, you can't put my name in the same paragraph as the words "top photographers".

I very recently made a "comeback" to NPR. I was around, under a multi as I went through a crazy period in my life, some bad, some great (like becoming a dad at the ripe old age of 48). During this time, made worse by the pandemic, I did not touch my camera (and hardly had time to be online, hence the multi).

I've starting to get shutter fever about a month ago so want to start again. I still won't be able to do my favourite genre (landscapes) due to circumstances, maybe I will start with some macros en general photography work for now.
TheFrog

Welcome back then! Looking forward to your photos. Why not try urban landscapes?
Torquemada 1420

troglodiet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 am
TheFrog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:50 am Do you guys have any news from some of the top photographers on PR?

Oi mate, you can't put my name in the same paragraph as the words "top photographers".

I very recently made a "comeback" to NPR. I was around, under a multi as I went through a crazy period in my life, some bad, some great (like becoming a dad at the ripe old age of 48). During this time, made worse by the pandemic, I did not touch my camera (and hardly had time to be online, hence the multi).

I've starting to get shutter fever about a month ago so want to start again. I still won't be able to do my favourite genre (landscapes) due to circumstances, maybe I will start with some macros en general photography work for now.
Hi trog. Glad you made it out from under the dark cloud. Did you take your website down?
troglodiet

TheFrog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00 pm Welcome back then! Looking forward to your photos. Why not try urban landscapes?

Good idea. The CBD of my hometown, where I moved back to after 25 years, has deteriorated tremendously. Bad news in general, good news for photographers.

Biggest problem right now is to get used to being a parent of a 15-year old, who has to be home-schooled because he's English-speaking and there aren't decent English schools closeby. Afrikaans school insists that he re-do last year's grade in Afrikaans before they will admit him.

So right now it's being parents at our ripe old age, raising a 15-year boy (especially knowing the shit I got up to at that age!), helping him with his schoolwork after we get back from work, driving him around for his social life, trying to improve his Afrikaans........Hang on, I just realised why I'm constantly tired!
Torquemada 1420

Mating Common Blues

troglodiet

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Hi trog. Glad you made it out from under the dark cloud. Did you take your website down?
Thanks mate, really appreciated.

Website is still up (aessidhe.co.za or johanmarietjie.co.za) but I haven't touched it for a good 5 years plus either.

Some new-years resolutions right there.

Although not totally out of the woods yet, I think another 2-3 months will do it, putting us right back to where we were way back when.

Great journey really. Tough but the lessons I learned were invaluable.
Last edited by troglodiet on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torquemada 1420

troglodiet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm
TheFrog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00 pm Welcome back then! Looking forward to your photos. Why not try urban landscapes?

Good idea. The CBD of my hometown, where I moved back to after 25 years, has deteriorated tremendously. Bad news in general, good news for photographers.

Biggest problem right now is to get used to being a parent of a 15-year old, who has to be home-schooled because he's English-speaking and there aren't decent English schools closeby. Afrikaans school insists that he re-do last year's grade in Afrikaans before they will admit him.

So right now it's being parents at our ripe old age, raising a 15-year boy (especially knowing the shit I got up to at that age!), helping him with his schoolwork after we get back from work, driving him around for his social life, trying to improve his Afrikaans........Hang on, I just realised why I'm constantly tired!
Did you adopt then?

PS the johanmarietjie.co.za comes up as forbidden, which is why I asked.
troglodiet

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:16 pm Did you adopt then?

It's not an official adoption, the mother was just beyond useless, so initially we volunteered to help out with the boy.

They were our neighbours in Durban, but the kid was more at our home than at his mom and her boyfriend's. It was one of those cases where you're never sure which one is the best example of gender based violence: the mom or "dad". Every night drunken shitstorm.

Lost contact when we moved away, the mother blocked us everywhere so we couldn't get in contact with him. Next thing we hear, after 2.5 years, is a message from the mom saying her old bf died (pancreatitis...not sure what caused it....) and her current boyfriend is also kicking her out, and she can't look after the boy.

We got the mom in a shelter for homeless women, and got a contract drawn up which gave us guardianship over the boy until the mom is back on her feet. Then the shelter contacted us and said the "mom" had run away, nobody knows where she is.

Since then, she hardly contacts her son, usually when she's drunk. Last message he got was her telling him to never contact her again, something he prefers as he now calls us mom and dad, and has so for the last 2 years at least.

Since he became 16 earlier this month, he may now decide where he wants to live, and she cannot just claim him back. So technically he's our son. He has indicated that once we are declared rehabilitated from our bankruptcy, he wants us to adopt him legally and he wants to take our surname.

It's weird, johanmarietjie.co.za is the main and original website. aessidhe.co.za is just pointing and re-routing to johanmarietjie.co.za. Both addresses work for me, and I'm at work so first time I've accessed those two websites from here and it worked.
Torquemada 1420

troglodiet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm

It's not an official adoption, the mother was just beyond useless, so initially we volunteered to help out with the boy.

They were our neighbours in Durban, but the kid was more at our home than at his mom and her boyfriend's. It was one of those cases where you're never sure which one is the best example of gender based violence: the mom or "dad". Every night drunken shitstorm.

Lost contact when we moved away, the mother blocked us everywhere so we couldn't get in contact with him. Next thing we hear, after 2.5 years, is a message from the mom saying her old bf died (pancreatitis...not sure what caused it....) and her current boyfriend is also kicking her out, and she can't look after the boy.

We got the mom in a shelter for homeless women, and got a contract drawn up which gave us guardianship over the boy until the mom is back on her feet. Then the shelter contacted us and said the "mom" had run away, nobody knows where she is.

Since then, she hardly contacts her son, usually when she's drunk. Last message he got was her telling him to never contact her again, something he prefers as he now calls us mom and dad, and has so for the last 2 years at least.

Since he became 16 earlier this month, he may now decide where he wants to live, and she cannot just claim him back. So technically he's our son. He has indicated that once we are declared rehabilitated from our bankruptcy, he wants us to adopt him legally and he wants to take our surname.

It's weird, johanmarietjie.co.za is the main and original website. aessidhe.co.za is just pointing and re-routing to johanmarietjie.co.za. Both addresses work for me, and I'm at work so first time I've accessed those two websites from here and it worked.
Wow. Good on the 2 of you for doing something so humane and wish all 3 of you the best.

I tried using my VPN with SA and it works then.
inactionman

troglodiet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm

That is such a wonderful thing to do, and I'm sure you've made - and will continue to make - such a huge difference to that boy's life. Good luck to all of you.

(neither website works for me, btw, maybe blocked in UK?)

On subject of photography, I'm quite the gentleman amateur but I really don't have the first clue what I'm doping re digital manipulation and editing. I used to have a monochrome darkroom but I'm all a bit lost with levels and balances. Anyone recommend a decent guide/cpurse? I'm really asking for some guidance in what to look to achieve - i.e. when you'd want to mess with levels - and not the buttonology/mechanics of doing so. I'm a member of Edinburgh photo soc (although not very active) and we've had a few masterclasses on Lightroom and photoshop - some of this focused on some really dull aspects like avoiding artefacts on lines, but I was always struck how a skilled editor could take a pretty dull, flat RAW image and create a really vibrant, punchy print. I've no clue how to approach that.
Flockwitt

Well, you've just made my day trogs :thumbup:
Torquemada 1420

inactionman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:53 pm On subject of photography, I'm quite the gentleman amateur but I really don't have the first clue what I'm doping re digital manipulation and editing. I used to have a monochrome darkroom but I'm all a bit lost with levels and balances. Anyone recommend a decent guide/cpurse? I'm really asking for some guidance in what to look to achieve - i.e. when you'd want to mess with levels - and not the buttonology/mechanics of doing so. I'm a member of Edinburgh photo soc (although not very active) and we've had a few masterclasses on Lightroom and photoshop - some of this focused on some really dull aspects like avoiding artefacts on lines, but I was always struck how a skilled editor could take a pretty dull, flat RAW image and create a really vibrant, punchy print. I've no clue how to approach that.
I'd strongly suggest looking at DXO's Photolab.
https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/

1) They take body + lens combinations of most of the popular kit out there and diagnose them in the lab for all the usual problems: aberration, distortion etc. In fact, this testing is their background before the got into warez. What this means is you can have (if you choose) all your pictures automatically corrected for all the most common defects to an accuracy you are never getting by doing this manually even if you had the MTF charts and could understand them. So, you can remove the tedious part of the workflow by choice leaving you to play with the creative part.

2) This is where DXO excels. They have a whole library of tutorials and run live, interactive ones which are free.
https://www.dxo.com/learning-hub/dxo-photolab/
https://tutodxo.com/en/home/

Note: that the whole subject of what you see on screens compared with what you get on prints is a minefield in itself!
TheFrog

troglodiet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm

Just read your whole story. Inspiring.

You, Sir, are a wonderful human being.
TheFrog

troglodiet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:16 pm
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Thanks mate, really appreciated.

Website is still up (aessidhe.co.za or johanmarietjie.co.za) but I haven't touched it for a good 5 years plus either.

Some new-years resolutions right there.

Although not totally out of the woods yet, I think another 2-3 months will do it, putting us right back to where we were way back when.

Great journey really. Tough but the lessons I learned were invaluable.
Same issue as Torque. Can't access your website.
notfatcat

TheFrog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:44 am
notfatcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:33 pm Cheers. I sometimes think about buying C1 but it doesn't have the cataloguing capability of LR, which is essential for my work.
Are you a pro photographer Fatcat?

I use LR personally and happy with it.

You are right that PCPhil photos have a look of HDR pictures.
Yes, interiors and architecture.

Just to clarify - I don't think PCPhil's photos look like HDR. They have a consistent and fairly unique look which I like. When I say fairly unique bear in mind I don't exactly look at many landscape photographs.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
PCPhil

and i”m not that keen on HDR. I just like images to have punch if I am going to spend £100+ pn a wall hanging. :problem:
Torquemada 1420

Harringworth Viaduct. 82 spans and longest masonry one in the UK.

PCPhil

Like that
PCPhil

Still taking photos but work has been a bvmmer lately. Managed to get out last Thursday. Left home at 3am to drive to Lake district for a great days walking. This view reminds me so much of walks with my dad was I was small.
Imagepob 16 by Phil, on Flickr
notfatcat

Just bought my first 'pro' level mirrorless. Insane money compared to dslr. :cry:
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
laurent

notfatcat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:29 pm Just bought my first 'pro' level mirrorless. Insane money compared to dslr. :cry:
Well I may be able to get mine sometimes :(

Ordered an R3 in December ... still waiting.
vball

I have Olympus E-M1X and ordered an OM-1 but it has not arrived yet. Off to Botswana next week but am sure the X will do well enough.

I did get a front cover from my February trip to Iceland though .... was very pleased.

Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
notfatcat

Congrats vball, awesome stuff!
Torquemada 1420

notfatcat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:29 pm Just bought my first 'pro' level mirrorless. Insane money compared to dslr. :cry:
What did you buy FFS?
notfatcat

Canon R5
laurent

Lucky you I ordered an R3 ...

May get it in next few weeks...
notfatcat

laurent wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:05 pm Lucky you I ordered an R3 ...

:thumbup:

I'm almost more upset at having to spend £140 on a fucking memory card. A hundred and forty fucking quid!
laurent

notfatcat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:56 pm
laurent wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:05 pm Lucky you I ordered an R3 ...

:thumbup:

I'm almost more upset at having to spend £140 on a fucking memory card. A hundred and forty fucking quid!
Yeah that will add to the 10 grand I am dropping to get the camera + optics (My 7Ds are mostly on sigma and tamron )
notfatcat

When I start spending 10k at a time will probably be when I go for medium format!
laurent

notfatcat wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 am When I start spending 10k at a time will probably be when I go for medium format!
Well the camera is > 6 and my old kit is very old now (7D 7Dii and Sigma 120-400) moving to FF obsoletes my 17-50 and 30 mm I am keeping the macro and 70-200 but need transtandard and Big Tele zoom for the rugby.

So it's R3 24-105 and 100-500 and adaptor.

Was waiting for the 7D3 which never materialized nearly went for 1DIV but covid stopped me... (a good thing in the end as the Reflex game is over).
notfatcat

Yep, we've all been forced to embrace mirrorless.
inactionman

vball wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:28 pm I have Olympus E-M1X and ordered an OM-1 but it has not arrived yet. Off to Botswana next week but am sure the X will do well enough.

I did get a front cover from my February trip to Iceland though .... was very pleased.

Cracking stuff!

I've actually just gone back from M43 to my DSLR, simply as I can't really justify having lenses for two systems. Really noticing the increase in weight.