French hopefuls touring Japan

Where goats go to escape
TheFrog

As usual now with French summer tours, the team traveling to Japan is largely is an experimental team, with a number of key players being rested by the staff.

Below is the group, and in bold players who can be considered as genuine first choice for the French 23 men team on a competitive day. Of these, only Penaud and Jaminet would be in the starting XV.

Forwards: Jean-Baptiste Gros (Toulon), Dany Priso (La Rochelle), Matis Perchaud (Bayonne), Demba Bamba (Lyon), Sipili Falatea (Clermont), Thomas Laclayat (Oyonnax), Dorian Aldegheri (Toulouse), Pierre Bourgarit (La Rochelle), Péato Mauvaka (Toulouse), Christopher Tolofua (Toulon), Thibaud Flament (Toulouse), Thomas Lavault (La Rochelle), Swan Rebbadj (Toulon), Rémi Picquette (La Rochelle), Thomas Jolmes (UBB), Charles Ollivon (Toulon) (c), Ibrahim Diallo (Racing 92), Yoan Tanga (Racing 92), Selevasio Tolofua (Toulouse), Dylan Cretin (Lyon), Sékou Macalou (Stade Français), Bastien Vergnes-Taillefer (UBB), Matthias Haddad-Victor (La Rochelle)

Backs: Baptiste Couilloud (Lyon), Nolann Le Garrec (Racing 92), Maxime Lucu (UBB), Antoine Hastoy (Pau), Louis Carbonel (Toulon), Matthieu Jalibert (UBB), Yoram Moefana (UBB), Tani Vili (Clermont), Virimi Vakatawa (Racing 92), Louis Le Brun (Castres), Enzo Reybier (Oyonnax), Rémy Baget (Bayonne), Matthis Lebel (Toulouse), Damian Penaud (Clermont), Jules Favre (La Rochelle), Aymeric Luc (Toulon), Max Spring (Racing 92), Melvyn Jaminet (Perpignan), Romain Buros (UBB).
TheFrog

Players to watch out for:

Charles Ollivon: the former French skipper, back in his role of captain, is offered a chance to claim a starting berth with Les Bleus as he returns to fitness after being sideline for a long time.

Pierre Bourgarit: the La Rochelle hooker and recent European champion has demonstrated improvements on the basics of the hooker role. Add to this his mobility and explosivity, and he is now in a genuine position to challenge Mauvaka in the pecking order, behind Marchand.

Yoann Tanga: the Racing number 8 has been a good, consistent performer with Racing. A bit light for this position, he is a dynamic and intelligent player. In a position where France is short of quality, he gets an opportunity to show his worth.

Matthias Haddad: the young La Rochelle flanker is still learning but he is an exciting prospect at 7. Excellent with France U20, he is invited to learn with the highest level.

Baptiste Couilloud: in a position where France is spoiled with talented players, Couilloud has a chance to show that his average performance in Australia was just a one off. Couilloud is a fast snappy scrum-half and could challenge Lucu behind Dupont.... but:

Nolann Le Garrec: is on a fast track to become the second best scrum half in France. Hugely talented, very clever, excellent kicker from the tee, if he is not as athletic as Dupont he could arguably develop into a better pure scrum-half than him. Galthie will want Le Garrec in 2023. This is his opportunity to confirm that he is worth our expectations.

Louis Carbonnel: hugely talented fly-half, he has been disappointing at international level and with his club, but he rallied recently and was no stranger to Toulon's revival toward the end of the season. But with Ntamack and Jalibert ahead of him, it is a big ask to hope for a ticket on the bench of the French team during the RWC. And let's not forget Hastoy who is ahead of Carbonnel today in the pecking order.

Aymeric Luc: with pace to burn and a good vision, Luc can play fullback or on the wing. In an area where France don't have too many great players, he could lay down a claim for a RWC ticket of he delivers.

Max Spring: the talented kid has earned a starting berth at Racing and his growing from strength to strength as a fullback. There again, with Galthie looking for depth in that area, can Max do enough to convince him to take him to the world cup?
TheFrog

COVID had hit the French camp just before the trip, but it seems that everything is back in order for the players.

A question mark remains on our valuable defenses coach, as Mr Edwards was positive too and stayed in France.
Torquemada 1420

My take

1) Ollivon. If he can stay fit with anything like his normal form, he's back in. Aldritt needs support. Ollivon offers pace, support lines, leadership, another lineout option as well as putting in his tackles.

2) Bamba. Like Macalou, a physical freak. Also like Macalou, needs to demonstrate he has some composure and consistency at the higher level. Macalou might be in last chance saloon.

3) Le Garrec is already so far ahead of everyone bar Dupont, I don't think this will even be a debate.

4) Bourgarit. I'm a huge fan as I am of Chat. But none of the Fre hookers can throw (Marchand is the best of the lot) and I've not seem that improve this season from the Maritime.

5) Carbonel. Agree. Although he was stuck in the overall malaise that RCT was suffering. Let's see how he goes next season.

6) Luc and Spring. Both quick. Both questionable under the high ball. FB remains a lottery and Jaminet is a perma fixture due to his boot. I'm surprised not to see Bouthier there after the last 6 months he has had.
TheFrog

Bamba needs to become a better scrumager to survive at this level.

Chat has missed his opportunity. The fact that he loses the ball so often in contact is an issue.
Kiwias

Just a word about the weather. We have just finished the rainy season, one with sfa rain to be noted, and it is filthily hot and humid -- mid-30sC and humidity between 70 ~ 90%.

This is a seriously fucked up time to be touring Japan.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:49 am Bamba needs to become a better scrumager to survive at this level.

Chat has missed his opportunity. The fact that he loses the ball so often in contact is an issue.
Yes. Bamba is more than strong enough. It's his technique that is lacking.

IMHO there is no material distinction between Chat and Bourgarit. They are both equally unreliable at the lineout. Maybe Chat loses the odd ball more in contact (a bit like Szar ironically) but he also turns over more opponent's ball at the breakdown.
TheFrog

Kiwias wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 am Just a word about the weather. We have just finished the rainy season, one with sfa rain to be noted, and it is filthily hot and humid -- mid-30sC and humidity between 70 ~ 90%.

This is a seriously fucked up time to be touring Japan.
I agree....
TheFrog

Probable team for France:
It looks very much like France B with all the subs.

Only new faces are Jolmes and Tanga.
1/ Gros
2/ Mauvaka
3/ Bamba
4/ Flament
5/ Jolmes
6/ Cretin
7/ Ollivon (.cap)
8/ Tanga
9/ Lucu
10/ Jalibert
11/ Lebel
12/ Moefana
13/ Vakatawa
14/ Penaud
15/ Jaminet

Les remplaçants probables :

16/ Bourgarit
17/ Priso
18/ Falatea
19/ Lavault ou Picquette
20/ Tolofua
21/ Macalou
22/ Couilloud
23/ Hastoy
TheFrog

Les remplaçants : Bourgarit, Priso, Falatea, Lavault, S. Tolofua, Macalou, Couilloud, Hastoy.
TheFrog

So Penaud and Jaminet are the only first choice players on the pitch.

Jolmes and Tanga the new caps starting the game.

The rest of the starters are usually bench players/ second in pecking order.

The bench is made of third choice players, Macalou aside who is arguably a second choice.

Disappointed not to see Le Garrec in the mix but I think Galthie wants to give Lucu-Jalibert a chance to prove themselves.
laurent

It looks like a good development squad.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:34 am So Penaud and Jaminet are the only first choice players on the pitch.

Jolmes and Tanga the new caps starting the game.

The rest of the starters are usually bench players/ second in pecking order.

The bench is made of third choice players, Macalou aside who is arguably a second choice.

Disappointed not to see Le Garrec in the mix but I think Galthie wants to give Lucu-Jalibert a chance to prove themselves.
This. There is no mileage in Couilloud and Le Garrec should have at least started on the bench.

With those backrow options, I think Japan are facing a hiding.
TheFrog

I wouldn't underestimate the Japanese, Torque and the impact of the weather which could level off the game.
La soule

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm I wouldn't underestimate the Japanese, Torque and the impact of the weather which could level off the game.
And the fact that Couilloud is a very good player
TheFrog

La soule wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:31 pm
TheFrog wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm I wouldn't underestimate the Japanese, Torque and the impact of the weather which could level off the game.
Indeed. But when Torque has decided a player is not worth it, that is it...
TheFrog

Rugbyrama points out quite rightly that the pack, especially the second row is much lighter than usual.

Galthie fears the Japanese pace of the game and heat.
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:31 pm
Yes. At club level. And since Japan is currently at the level of a club side, he might be okay. But he's proven he has not the composure against proper intl opposition. And anyway, he has a fraction of Le Garrec's ability so not sure why Galthie is wasting time with a RWC looming.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:17 pm Rugbyrama points out quite rightly that the pack, especially the second row is much lighter than usual.

Galthie fears the Japanese pace of the game and heat.
Well...... that would be right if France allows Japan quick ruck ball. Thankfully with no Jelonch or Cros, that is less likely.
La soule

Le Garrec is a fantastic prospect. Different than Dupont but he will challenge for a top spot in the years to come.

So Woki is going to Racing, breaking his contract a year earlier. Not a very good sign for Bègles and Urios and it does not shed a positive light on Woki either.
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:27 am Le Garrec is a fantastic prospect. Different than Dupont but he will challenge for a top spot in the years to come.

So Woki is going to Racing, breaking his contract a year earlier. Not a very good sign for Bègles and Urios and it does not shed a positive light on Woki either.
Entirely. In a way, he is almost as good as Dupont in toto but with a different skill set. His kicking could be invaluable. Dupont and Le Garrec offers the prospect of the best 1 and 2 choice seen: certainly in France.

Both Jalibert and Woki and gradually appearing to be rather c**tish......
Ymx

I take it this is the match thread??
Raggs

That was a very nice pass to Penaud.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Kiwias

Japan’s forward pack weighs more than France’s.
Kiwias

Japan’s forward pack weighs more than France’s.

Looks as if they practiced their line outs watching the Blues in the final vs Crusaders
Raggs

Bamba is responsible for taking those scrums down, far too long in that last one, surprised Japan didn't win a pen in that last one, had it been their scrum I suspect they would have.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Raggs

I'm pretty much in agreement with the ref there to be honest, the massive impact is what keeps the arm forced back, it does seem to slightly wrap around the leg even then. Close, and the reverse view is a bad one, but the side camera shows it wasn't deliberately tucked.
Kiwias

Raggs wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:25 am I'm pretty much in agreement with the ref there to be honest, the massive impact is what keeps the arm forced back, it does seem to slightly wrap around the leg even then. Close, and the reverse view is a bad one, but the side camera shows it wasn't deliberately tucked.
A different ref may have seen it differently, as he did not make a real effort to get his right arm up so he could wrap it. But fair enough
Kiwias

Water breaks half way through each half, good idea given that it is 35C + today
Raggs

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:28 am
Raggs wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:25 am I'm pretty much in agreement with the ref there to be honest, the massive impact is what keeps the arm forced back, it does seem to slightly wrap around the leg even then. Close, and the reverse view is a bad one, but the side camera shows it wasn't deliberately tucked.
A different ref may have seen it differently, as he did not make a real effort to get his right arm up so he could wrap it. But fair enough
Could have gone either way I agree, but I thought there was just enough, wouldn't have been surprised by a pen either.

Not sure Cretin could be classed as supporting his own weight in that turnover, especially with hands on the ground immediately, but then there wasn't a single Japanese player around for so long that I think France should probably get the benefit there.
Kiwias

Japan tackling is very good
PCPhil

Surprised the stadium isn’t lifting off with all that fan flapping. Playing rugby in 35C!!
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Torquemada 1420

Well, so far I've been wrong because this backrow has been equally as sh*t as the 1st choices in slowing down opponent's ruck ball or turning it over. Any notions of winning a RWC can be forgotten unless this areas massively improves.
Kiwias

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:29 am Water breaks half way through each half, good idea given that it is 35C + today
Looks as if they are taking water breaks every 10 mins. It is idiotic to play in this season
Raggs

Japan seem to be finding the edge of France's defence fairly easily. It's not perfect since there's still just enough cover, but there's room there. France has the power game to just smash the Japanese out the way though, so I'd not be confident of them winning in the end regardless. Good battle though.
Torquemada 1420

Raggs wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:55 am Japan seem to be finding the edge of France's defence fairly easily. It's not perfect since there's still just enough cover, but there's room there. France has the power game to just smash the Japanese out the way though, so I'd not be confident of them winning in the end regardless. Good battle though.
Defence system for this game is all wrong, which is unusual for France. Regardless, what is completely wrong is the aimless kicking away of the ball which simply invites Japan to run back, repeatedly. The way to beat Japan is ball in hand with physical phases before going wide. As France did just before 1/2 time before Jaminet's pass which would have made even Farrell or Fofana look good.
Torquemada 1420

Much as Jalibert is now persona non grata with me over his recent behaviour, that's where he is good: taking the ball to the line. Jaminet blew the chance before 1/2 time.
Torquemada 1420

Again, Jalibert is the difference.

Vakatawa is walking himself out of any contention. A poor season for Racing, offering no threat here and being caught for pace in midfield repeatedly.
Torquemada 1420

Oh. Well done Lavault you retard.
Torquemada 1420

More poor play by Vakatawa. He's close to toast.