French hopefuls touring Japan

Where goats go to escape
Marylandolorian

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:13 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:13 am
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 am

You are kidding, right? :problem:
Why is Lucu the main kicker in Bordeaux then?
Do you actually watch any rugby these days? :eh:

Jalibert is the main kicker for UBB. He did all the kicking BEFORE he got injured this season. By contrast Ntamack had 36 points off the floor for ST this season because his own coach does not believe he is a kicker.
You are right, Jalibert is the main kicker for Bordeaux, a couple years ago he was the #1 or 2 top14’ scorer.
As for Max Lucu
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... di/1342361.
TheFrog

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:47 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:21 pm
I can't access Anal+ abroad so I watch very little Top14 apart from a few highlights on YouTube unfortunately.

Why will Lucu be the kicker for France then?
You aren't missing much. Most of the rugby is terrible. So much so, I've canned my subscription for next season and will stream the odd match I want to watch.

Where did you read Lucu will kick tomorrow?
Rugbyrama.fr:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de-fr ... tory.shtml
A noter que c'est Maxime Lucu qui devrait être chargé du tir aux buts lors de ce second test.
Torquemada 1420

1) I do not understand Galthie's thinking. If Jaminet is in for his kicking and he's looking at dropping him, then the role has to fall upon FH (assuming Dupont starts........ which I think is a reasonable assumption). Therefore, whether it's Ntamack of Jalibert, it should be the FH doing the kicking in real world situations. More muddled Fre thinking.

2) What this tour is showing for me is that there is nowhere near the depth of players in Fra that we had hoped or assumed. BTW, talking of Jaminet, he would never have been made to look like a turkey by an ageing backrower for that 2nd try like Spring did, who is having a horrific game.
Torquemada 1420

Spring continues to have a nightmare. Smashed in a tackle. Hospital pass to Tanga. Drops high ball which gives Japan another try scoring chance.
Kiwias

20 - 15 to France at full time
La soule

Good result for this second string team. Game riddled by mistakes from both side unfortunately.

Well done the lads!
Kiwias

La soule wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:57 am Good result for this second string team. Game riddled by mistakes from both side unfortunately.

Well done the lads!
It was a seriously hard game to watch.
TheFrog

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:32 am
La soule wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:57 am Good result for this second string team. Game riddled by mistakes from both side unfortunately.

Well done the lads!
Very slippery ball that made it difficult for both teams, and the heat that must have taken its toll on all the players.

That game would be vastly different under different conditions. In that respect, the November game will be a good test.
TheFrog

So I am just done watching the replay (glad I did not wake up at 2am to watch this painful game).

The Japanese were the better team on the pitch but their shallow depth didn't help them, with their hooker in particular having a mare and their powerful eight having shaky hands when he has the match winner to score.

On the French side, Lucu-Jalibert had a mare too, their game management was shite and the team played like headless chickens. I suspect this had to do with Galthie's theory that it was important to seek short game breaking action not to waste energy in a long grinding succession of phases. As result the French were all over the place and collectively that game was a big failure. Penaud was a shadow of his usual self. Our centers were average at best (and i thought Vakatawa had his best game in a long time...). Jolmes was totally missing this time, and generally the French missed too many tackles.

The Japanese once again were very good at overloading our defense 6 to 2 or 6 to 3, and scored a beauty of a try thanks to that. It is as if the French had not learned from the last game.

Again, I think under different conditions this would be a vastly different game and I feel for the Japanese whose hooker, 7, 10 and 15 had a great game.
Torquemada 1420

Well done the lads!
Dreadful. Esp from France. If Japan hadn't gone all harem scarum when leading, they would have won. TF I had to go out with 20 mins left.

The tactics to keep kicking the ball away were braindead from Galthie and co. There are 2 basic rules in rugby tactics
1) Don't do the thing the oppos would most like you to do.
2) Do the thing the oppos would least like you to do.

In this case, Japan want you to kick the ball to them to allow them as much running possession as possible and they do not want you trundling it up through the fwds. F**king dim in the extreme.

Totally wasted tour. Learned absolutely nothing except that Spring isn't the answer. Players who might figure in the RWC weren't tested: Le Garrec, Macalou, Gibert for example.
TheFrog

So the aimless kicking was Galthie's fault and not Lucu and Jakibert?
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:26 pm So the aimless kicking was Galthie's fault and not Lucu and Jakibert?
Whose tactical instruction do you think it was? Last week, I wondered if the players had decided to abandon that after 50 mins and start playing with ball in hand. It was only when Jalibert was running with the ball in hand that France became a real attacking threat.

PS: notice I was correct and the stupid bench selection meant Macalou had to come on as a winger. And the point of that was what? :thumbdown:

BTW, the ultimate joke is this joke tour, gratis of other shock results, means France is now No1 in the rankings for the first time :crazy:
TheFrog

Galthie certainly never asked Jalibert or Lucu to make stupid kicks, straight on the Japanese players. The team failed to adapt to the Japanese playing with their back three far far behind the gain line. Lucu was particularly poor, his game management was all over the place.

As for Macalou, it is very obvious and not quite so stupid, what Galthie is doing. After having experimented successfully during the 6N the bench with 6 forwards for only 2 backs, Galthie knows that he needs to find a backrow player who can cover a spot in the backline in the event of a back injury. These two games were about giving Macalou an opportunity to learn and practice in real test conditions.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:22 pm Galthie certainly never asked Jalibert or Lucu to make stupid kicks, straight on the Japanese players. The team failed to adapt to the Japanese playing with their back three far far behind the gain line. Lucu was particularly poor, his game management was all over the place.

As for Macalou, it is very obvious and not quite so stupid, what Galthie is doing. After having experimented successfully during the 6N the bench with 6 forwards for only 2 backs, Galthie knows that he needs to find a backrow player who can cover a spot in the backline in the event of a back injury. These two games were about giving Macalou an opportunity to learn and practice in real test conditions.
I'm no particular fan of Lucu. I don't think he has a rugby brain. However, if you tell your 1/2 backs to kick everything away, it's really hard not to end up kicking to your opponents
a) They know you are going to kick
b) Unless they are dim, they will cover the danger areas which means kicking elsewhere simply yields even less
c) If you are kicking long (more an issue for FH), the length of time the ball will be travelling is going to make it even easier to cover unless you are good enough to bounce the ball into touch everytime........... and no-one can do that

There is only one backrower in the world with the pace and hands to be able to cover the backs as well as the backrow and that is......
Kiwias

TheFrog wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:38 pm

Well done the lads!
Very slippery ball that made it difficult for both teams, and the heat that must have taken its toll on all the players.

That game would be vastly different under different conditions. In that respect, the November game will be a good test.
Just another bow to the argument that Japan should not be hosting tours in the NH summer.
La soule

The team completely lost its defensive shape on this game. Jalibert and Lucu were below par which makes the discussion about who should be first choice easy.

Where ever you play Macalou, he will always end up on the wing so...

Vakatawa did not size his opportunity and is unlikely to feature. Jolmes was not there, overall the team was not great but sill got a win. 10 in a row. Unbeaten all season.

I think the foundations are sound and the team will get better. The despised Toulousains are quite a few notch above the lads selected for this tour.

Funnily enough, Couilloud saved the day.
TheFrog

I think Couilloud (as third choice - Lucu can kick and is Jalibert's club partner), Tanga and Macalou are the 3 players who made a case for a RWC slot from those who were not usual back up players.
Marylandolorian

Well, between the comments and Ovale Masqué it looks like I didn’t miss anything.

Tichtheid

France are now ranked 1st in the world with Ireland 2nd
Marylandolorian

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:57 am France are now ranked 1st in the world with Ireland 2nd
This is cool but one thing I like is that they have been undefeated this season (10 games in a row)

Are the Irish going to be first if they beat the Māori AB?
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:44 pm The team completely lost its defensive shape on this game. Jalibert and Lucu were below par which makes the discussion about who should be first choice easy.

Vakatawa did not size his opportunity and is unlikely to feature. Jolmes was not there, overall the team was not great but sill got a win. 10 in a row. Unbeaten all season.

I think the foundations are sound and the team will get better. The despised Toulousains are quite a few notch above the lads selected for this tour.

The danger of treating isolated incidents as representative of the whole.
- Couilloud also f**ked up a try scoring chance earlier when he tap kicked a pen and then ran straight into Jap backrow and turned the ball over.
- Lebel also blew another try by running behind his own player and giving away a pen for obstruction 5m out from Jap tryline. But, arguably, he was Fra's best player.

You really need to get this anti-ST chip thing off your shoulder!

I don't think Lucu is half the player Le Garrec is but, as per my earlier post, the blame for the total lack of game control was down to the dim, clear instructions by Galthie and co to kick.

Marylandorian: as per comment during the game, Spring had a f**king nightmare.
Torquemada 1420

Marylandolorian wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:26 pm Are the Irish going to be first if they beat the Māori AB?
No. It does not count as a Test ranking game. But they might be if they beat NZ next Sat :grin:
TheFrog

Based on this season, the list of 33 players for the RWC looks like this in my opinion:

LHP
Baille, Gros

Hookers
Marchand, Mauvaka, Bourgarit

THP
Atonio, Haouas

Locks
Woki, Willemse, Flament, Taofifenua

Backrow
Aldritt, Cros, Jelonch, Ollivon, Macalou, Cretin

Scrum-half
Dupont, Lucu, Couilloud

Fly-half
Ntamack, Jalibert, Hastoy

Centers
Fickou, Danty, Vincent, Moefana

Wingers
Villiere, Penaud, Lebel, ?

Fullback
Jaminet, Ramos?
Last edited by TheFrog on Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
La soule

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:09 pm
La soule wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:44 pm The team completely lost its defensive shape on this game. Jalibert and Lucu were below par which makes the discussion about who should be first choice easy.

The danger of treating isolated incidents as representative of the whole.
- Couilloud also f**ked up a try scoring chance earlier when he tap kicked a pen and then ran straight into Jap backrow and turned the ball over.
- Lebel also blew another try by running behind his own player and giving away a pen for obstruction 5m out from Jap tryline. But, arguably, he was Fra's best player.

You really need to get this anti-ST chip thing off your shoulder!

I don't think Lucu is half the player Le Garrec is but, as per my earlier post, the blame for the total lack of game control was down to the dim, clear instructions by Galthie and co to kick.

Marylandorian: as per comment during the game, Spring had a f**king nightmare.
Couilloud tried to speed up the game. Succeeded twice, failed once. In the end, he made it happen. I believe he is also the top try scorer in T14 (or close).

There is no chip on my shoulder Re: ST players. The thing is Torque, you are incapable of nuances when looking at players. It is all extremely subjective, black or white.

Here is my take: There are no players in this tour who could be seen as better options than NTamack, Dupont, Cros and Jelonch. Not one.

Here is what I hope: That Jalibert, Lucu Haddad etc all improve enough to take their place in the French team because it would be great and give us a better chance to win that WC.

I will also keep on watching the T14 because last year was fun to watch.

That is all.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 pm Based on this season, the list of 33 players for the RWC looks like this in my opinion:

LHP
Baille, Gros

Hookers

THP
Atonio, Haouas

Locks
Woki, Willemse, Marchand, Taofifenua

Backrow

Scrum-half
Dupont, Lucu, Couilloud

Fly-half

Centers

Wingers

Fullback
Jaminet, Dulin?
1) No way Tao should be anywhere near ntl selection. Just not fit enough.
2) Marchand covering lock too? :wtf
3) If Jelonch continues the way he has played this season, I would expect him to be jettisoned.
4) Vincent is more an empty shirt than Vakatawa ever will be. At least Vakatawa has shown he can be an asset.
5) Dulin is perma gone. He had that Indian Summer patch where suddenly he could catch and could counter without running into the first opponent in his sightline but fully reverted to type by the end of the season.
FB remains a disaster area but Bouthier is a better option than Dulin.
Last edited by Torquemada 1420 on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:56 am Couilloud tried to speed up the game. Succeeded twice, failed once. In the end, he made it happen. I believe he is also the top try scorer in T14 (or close).

There is no chip on my shoulder Re: ST players. The thing is Torque, you are incapable of nuances when looking at players. It is all extremely subjective, black or white.

Here is my take: There are no players in this tour who could be seen as better options than NTamack, Dupont, Cros and Jelonch. Not one.

Here is what I hope: That Jalibert, Lucu Haddad etc all improve enough to take their place in the French team because it would be great and give us a better chance to win that WC.

I will also keep on watching the T14 because last year was fun to watch.

That is all.
Agree. That is Couilloud's strength i.e. he gets the ball away which can limit the deficiencies at the breakdown. It was still a cr*p decision to quick tap on the one he screwed up. World class players read the game better than that.

In regards the players you list
- Dupont. What was the point in even stating that? It's clear that was is being sought is the best no2.
- Ntamack. Completely disagree. Jalibert is a better option but saw nothing in Hastoy to make me think I'd want him above Ntamack in the pecking order.
- Backrow. Well, Ollivon for me is in. Even though he was clearly spent by this time. Macalou was never given a chance (again) so it was a waste of time picking him. Cros's work rate means he deserves to remain in the squad. Jelonch is France's very own
Thorne.

I'm really not bothered by Lucu. The focus is on Le Garrec.

You're on your own on T14! I'll watch the odd games where I can.
TheFrog

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:02 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 pm Based on this season, the list of 33 players for the RWC looks like this in my opinion:

LHP
Baille, Gros

Hookers

THP
Atonio, Haouas

Locks
Woki, Willemse, Marchand, Taofifenua

Backrow

Scrum-half
Dupont, Lucu, Couilloud

Fly-half

Centers

Wingers

Fullback
Jaminet, Dulin?
1) No way Tao should be anywhere near ntl selection. Just not fit enough.
2) Marchand covering lock too? :wtf
3) If Jelonch continues the way he has played this season, I would expect him to be jettisoned.
4) Vincent is more an empty shirt than Vakatawa ever will be. At least Vakatawa has shown he can be an asset.
5) Dulin is perma gone. He had that Indian Summer patch where suddenly he could catch and could counter without running into the first opponent in his site line but fully reverted to type by the end of the season.
FB remains a disaster area but Bouthier is a better option than Dulin.
Flament, not Marchand. Sorry.

Vincent is quality and Jelonch can cover 8 too and brings beef and power for the attrition game.

Tanga made a good impression but he doesn't bring the power Aldritt or Jelonch bring. He doesn't bring the lineout jumping that Cros, Cretin or Ollivon bring. I am afraid he will not make the cut. But I like what he brings and his work rate.

Dulin has been a bit shite, for sure. Actually I think Ramos will be the man. I am updating my list.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:00 am Flament, not Marchand. Sorry.

Vincent is quality and Jelonch can cover 8 too and brings beef and power for the attrition game.

Tanga made a good impression but he doesn't bring the power Aldritt or Jelonch bring. He doesn't bring the lineout jumping that Cros, Cretin or Ollivon bring. I am afraid he will not make the cut. But I like what he brings and his work rate.

Dulin has been a bit shite, for sure. Actually I think Ramos will be the man. I am updating my list.
LOL. I should have worked that out. I think we have to accept that Woki is now career wedded to lock and given he is the only expert lineout operator, has to start at lock with Willemse: the latter being the only decent lump available. I'm still not sure why Le Roux should not be there (other than not being French) because his workrate, mobility, engine and tackle rate make him a way better lock than either Flament or Tao. I recall Jamie Roberts saying Le Roux would have been as good as McCaw......... if he had a brain cell. His dimness made him a liability in the backrow but you don't need a brain at lock (just don't get sent off......).

I see nothing in Jelonch currently to merit intl selection. He got there in the first place based on the promise he showed at Castres and a B team tour to Aus where he was one of the few players to shine. Since then, he has gone backwards.

If Galthie is to persist in having no backs as subs on the bench, then, as per earlier (which you did not answer), Macalou is the only player who can cover backrow and the backs. Or you risk having no cover in the backs which, frankly, is eventual suicide.
Le Roux offers cover at lock and backrow too. There is no need for a half arsed Jelonch anywhere.

BTW, I don't see Cros as a lineout option. How many has he collected for France? I accept that he is not the target (usually Woki or Willemse) but that's not the point i.e. he isn't an asset for something he doesn't do. It's like saying I have an air conditioned car but I always wind down the windows.
TheFrog

Torque and your myopic rabid rants.

1. Macalou - I did not answer because it is obvious. Despite average to poor performances in blue, he is a freak when he is focused and Galthie wants him in the squad because he is the only player he can play in the backrow or on the wing in a 6-2 bench configuration.

Re: Cros. Let me quote the Irish Time, in an article where they summarized the "defining moments" of the 2022 6N tournament.
Trailing by six points, Ireland had a much-needed lineout 10m from the French line. The opportunity didn't last long. Francois Cros beat Iain Henderson to the throw and France cleared.
Re: Jelonch - granted he didn't have his most shining 6N but his work in defense (64 tackles, best French performance) and his physicality in combat is one of the reasons why we did not give up ground against the likes of Ireland. This is what he brings. Muscle to balance Cros lighter profile and be available as a gain line option. He can play 8 as well, and just like Macalou, this plays in his favor to be a member of the squad. And for a big lump, he is fairly mobile, scoring 2 tries in the tournament- i know your view on that, these were just luck and you can't judge a player by the tries he scored. But I think he scored tries because he was well positioned in the right timing- and this is a skill when you have been moving meat just a minute before. I played backrow, I know what it means.

As for Leroux, he is far from his best now and despite being invited to the French training camp, he failed to impress the coaches.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:50 am Torque and your myopic rabid rants.

1. Macalou - I did not answer because it is obvious. Despite average to poor performances in blue, he is a freak when he is focused and Galthie wants him in the squad because he is the only player he can play in the backrow or on the wing in a 6-2 bench configuration.

Re: Cros. Let me quote the Irish Time, in an article where they summarized the "defining moments" of the 2022 6N tournament.
Trailing by six points, Ireland had a much-needed lineout 10m from the French line. The opportunity didn't last long. Francois Cros beat Iain Henderson to the throw and France cleared.
Re: Jelonch - granted he didn't have his most shining 6N but his work in defense (64 tackles, best French performance) and his physicality in combat is one of the reasons why we did not give up ground against the likes of Ireland. This is what he brings. Muscle to balance Cros lighter profile and be available as a gain line option. He can play 8 as well, and just like Macalou, this plays in his favor to be a member of the squad. And for a big lump, he is fairly mobile, scoring 2 tries in the tournament- i know your view on that, these were just luck and you can't judge a player by the tries he scored. But I think he scored tries because he was well positioned in the right timing- and this is a skill when you have been moving meat just a minute before. I played backrow, I know what it means.

As for Leroux, he is far from his best now and despite being invited to the French training camp, he failed to impress the coaches.
1) So the answer then is, in that tactical formation, yes, Macalou has to start? Okay. Glad we finally cleared that up.

2) Re your comment on Cros. You've unwittingly aided my point, albeit using a sample size of one in 400 minutes of play. I clearly stated that he was not a lineout target for France i.e. on France's own throw. You offer us this which shows Cros winning a ball on Ireland's throw. Which tells us what? Think about it........... Yes....... opposition do not tend to throw where your best lineout jumpers are.

3) I'll keep returning to the point of a backrow when on defence these days. EVERY player (no more Garbajosas) is expected to make his tackles. The backrow's job is more than to fulfil that most basic requirement. At the very least, it is to attempt to slow down opposition ruck ball and, occasionally, turn it over. The French backrow does not do that. Except Aldritt......... who was Fra's leading turnover winner. And the next best?............... Danty (which is why he is ahead of Vakatawa), Fickou and then Villiere FFS. Anyway, the difference in tackles made between any of the backrow for France is negligible in terms of total and % missed, as one would expect. PS: Ntamack's missed tackle rate was 19% which makes him a revolving door in modern terms at twice the acceptable rate.

4) Just to remind you the team which conceded BY FAR the most turnovers in Europe this season was............. Toulouse........... who Aldritt does not play for.......... but Jelonch and Cros do. Oh. Talking of conceding turnovers, who were amongst the worst players for turning over ball during the 6N? Answer..... Jaminet and Ntamack. And the reason why is because when either of them actually runs with the ball, all too often it's into a dead end........ which is made worse where it's Ntamack because France's backrow is too poor at securing own ball. Note that Jaminet has some excuse because it's not unusual for 15s to concede the most turnovers because sometimes it happens when being the last defender: Hogg and Keenan were worse.

5) Agree on Le Roux. Like most of Racing, not playing at best at end of the season. But Jelonch hasn't had a good season ALL season.
TheFrog

Macalou should not be a starter. He will be a bench option.
TheFrog

TheFrog

So Ireland picked Henderson for a strategic lineout because he Happened to be facing Cros... :bimbo:
TheFrog

Don't know about Toulouse stats, but their style of play is one that takes more risk. Sure Castres won't expose themselves in the same way.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:15 pm Macalou should not be a starter. He will be a bench option.
I don't disagree with that. In fact, if he started, that doesn't necessarily solve the backs problem because if he got injured, we are back to square one! He can only start if there is a viable back sub on the bench e.g. Ntamack/Jalibert.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:20 pm So Ireland picked Henderson for a strategic lineout because he Happened to be facing Cros... :bimbo:
Sample size of one.........
TheFrog

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:09 pm
TheFrog wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:20 pm So Ireland picked Henderson for a strategic lineout because he Happened to be facing Cros... :bimbo:
Sample size of one.........
You know the guy on the pictures of 6N games or AB game I posted, don't you?
La soule

I don't get the lineout argument being made. Cros is the lineout captain at ST and is an excellent jumper.

Macalou should not be in the 22. He shines against weak opposition. He is flash.

In the same vein that every players is expected to make his tackles, every players is expected to contest the rucks nowadays.

Jelonch has been below par in the second part of the season
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:31 am I don't get the lineout argument being made. Cros is the lineout captain at ST and is an excellent jumper.

Macalou should not be in the 22. He shines against weak opposition. He is flash.

In the same vein that every players is expected to make his tackles, every players is expected to contest the rucks nowadays.

Like it or not, the Macalou argument is the same as the Jaminet one i.e. if you choose to tactically straight jacket yourself, you end up with compromises. We've been round this loop n times!
1 - Jaminet is in because Ntamack simply isn't a good enough kicker off the floor. Options are
> find another FB who can kick (and is better than Jaminet elsewhere). There isn't one for me because I think Ramos is a worse option.
> find another back who can kick. Not happening because the backline is largely settled and no-one is losing his place to accommodate a kicker. Anyone seeing Villilere, Penaud, Fickou or Danty being dropped? Me neither.
> Play a SH who can kick........ and drop Dupont.
> Play a FH who can kick.

2 - Macalou. If Galthie insists in having no backs on the bench, then this will come to bite France on the arse unless he somehow finds a fwd who can also play in the backs. There is only one fwd on the planet who can do that.
La soule

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:04 am
La soule wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:31 am I don't get the lineout argument being made. Cros is the lineout captain at ST and is an excellent jumper.

Like it or not, the Macalou argument is the same as the Jaminet one i.e. if you choose to tactically straight jacket yourself, you end up with compromises. We've been round this loop n times!
1 - Jaminet is in because Ntamack simply isn't a good enough kicker off the floor. Options are
> find another FB who can kick (and is better than Jaminet elsewhere). There isn't one for me because I think Ramos is a worse option.
> find another back who can kick. Not happening because the backline is largely settled and no-one is losing his place to accommodate a kicker. Anyone seeing Villilere, Penaud, Fickou or Danty being dropped? Me neither.
> Play a SH who can kick........ and drop Dupont.
> Play a FH who can kick.

2 - Macalou. If Galthie insists in having no backs on the bench, then this will come to bite France on the arse unless he somehow finds a fwd who can also play in the backs. There is only one fwd on the planet who can do that.
Ramos is a very kicker and a better FB than Jaminet who was dropped for the last test against Japan. I could see Danty's being pushed by Vincent and he also covers the wing position. You still have not shared NTamack stats and I cannot find them. He is not as bad a kicker as you portray him.

I would have a few BR players ahead of Macalou in the pecking order. An amazing athlete but a wasted talent.