French hopefuls touring Japan

Where goats go to escape
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:21 am Ramos is a very kicker and a better FB than Jaminet who was dropped for the last test against Japan. I could see Danty's being pushed by Vincent and he also covers the wing position. You still have not shared NTamack stats and I cannot find them. He is not as bad a kicker as you portray him.

I would have a few BR players ahead of Macalou in the pecking order. An amazing athlete but a wasted talent.
My issue with Ramos's kicking is he'll go an age kicking everything and then have a meltdown for a couple of games. It's too much of a risk at intl level to rely upon.

As I said earlier, Vincent is an empty shirt for me. Has done f**k all every time he's appeared for France and done little to impress me all season at MH. Bouthier is a candidate for FB...... but that doesn't solve the kicking problem.

I think Macalou will remain a wasted talent too because it was clear that he wasn't going to get game time against Japan and, sadly, I see Galthie persisting with this stupid policy of no cover for the backs on the bench.
TheFrog

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:29 am
La soule wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:21 am Ramos is a very kicker and a better FB than Jaminet who was dropped for the last test against Japan. I could see Danty's being pushed by Vincent and he also covers the wing position. You still have not shared NTamack stats and I cannot find them. He is not as bad a kicker as you portray him.

I would have a few BR players ahead of Macalou in the pecking order. An amazing athlete but a wasted talent.
My issue with Ramos's kicking is he'll go an age kicking everything and then have a meltdown for a couple of games. It's too much of a risk at intl level to rely upon.

As I said earlier, Vincent is an empty shirt for me. Has done f**k all every time he's appeared for France and done little to impress me all season at MH. Bouthier is a candidate for FB...... but that doesn't solve the kicking problem.

I think Macalou will remain a wasted talent too because it was clear that he wasn't going to get game time against Japan and, sadly, I see Galthie persisting with this stupid policy of no cover for the backs on the bench.
Vincent was excellent in Australia last year.
And was injured for most of the season this year. No wonder you saw little of him this year...

Did you see his performance against Castres in the final? Second best player after Mercer.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:36 am Vincent was excellent in Australia last year.
And was injured for most of the season this year. No wonder you saw little of him this year...

Did you see his performance against Castres in the final? Second best player after Mercer.
Jelonch was excellent in Aus last year........

Vincent strikes me, like so much of MH (because that's how they play), as a 1D carrier.

Again, one good game really isn't a herald for intl selection.

Anyway, this is all academic. Midfield really isn't an issue for France although it would be nice to have a kicking option between 10 and 15. Actually, it would be nice to have a kicking option at 10............. :wink:
La soule

Vincent is a leader, with a winner mentality, excellent in defence and good vision. He was the captain of the U20 world champion team if I remember well.

He was indeed out most of the season.

You are searching for something you do not want to find.
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:15 pm Vincent is a leader, with a winner mentality, excellent in defence and good vision. He was the captain of the U20 world champion team if I remember well.

He was indeed out most of the season.

You are searching for something you do not want to find.
When he's played for France, his vision has been extremely poor. I remember shouting at him in the away loss to Wales in the 2020 6N. Remember that 6N? When, after having told the world that Fickou was the leader of Fra's defence in the backs....... Galthie then shifted him to the wing to accommodate Vincent who then did bugger all.
La soule

I remember that game indeed. 1 poor game, age 20yo. I would not be surprised to see him leapfrogging Danty who only got in because of Vincent's injury as a reminder.
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:39 pm I remember that game indeed. 1 poor game, age 20yo. I would not be surprised to see him leapfrogging Danty who only got in because of Vincent's injury as a reminder.
Funny thing is I always thought Danty would be an intl in his early days but he just spent years being a dim, penalty machine. Now he's cut that out, he's a good player. Maybe not as effective on attack as Vakatawa at his peak, but we've not seen that in over a year.

I'd be very happy if Vincent did that: because it would mean he had become an excellent player.

BTW, maybe bad memory, but did Galthie play Vincent at inside centre in one of those games? :wtf: Just more selection madness.
TheFrog

Galthie and his selections madness and lack of results...

By the way, from PR where Franch Fan (bless him) started a debate on which is the best team in the world.
France.

Because of their greater power. Teams who beat us are teams who monster us up fromt. France had too much power in February
And that is where Jelonch comes in the plan.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:20 pm Galthie and his selections madness and lack of results...

By the way, from PR where Franch Fan (bless him) started a debate on which is the best team in the world.
France.

Because of their greater power. Teams who beat us are teams who monster us up fromt. France had too much power in February
You are quoting franch? May as well quote Jake or Quentin. Franch thinks Michalak was better than Carter :crazy:
TheFrog

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:22 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:20 pm Galthie and his selections madness and lack of results...

France.

You are quoting franch? May as well quote Jake or Quentin. Franch thinks Michalak was better than Carter :crazy:
I am not quoting Franch. I am quoting an Irish poster.
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:34 am I am not quoting Franch. I am quoting an Irish poster.
Well, he's pretty much right. Both Ire and Leinster have been beaten by sides that physically matched them. Although Fra did not beat up Ire in the 6N whereas Leinster were beaten up by LaR and the safas. In the end , it was a combo of
- Jaminet's unerring boot (much irony here). If Ntamack or even Jalibert had been kicking, Fra would have lost.
- Sexton didn't play in this one?
- and Fre defence WITHOUT conceding pens that edged the result. Fra put in their tackles (not many missed whole game?) but absolutely did not monster Ire.
- AT HOME
- and Ire has gotten better since then

As the ABs found out, if you don't compete physically with Ire, you lose.
La soule

If Ntamack or even Jalibert had been kicking, Fra would have lost.
More guess work.

And Ramos would have kicked anyway.

Oh and:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2 ... tory.shtml
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:09 pm
If Ntamack or even Jalibert had been kicking, Fra would have lost.
More guess work.

And Ramos would have kicked anyway.

Oh and:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2 ... tory.shtml
You are having a giraffe. IIRC, Jaminet was 100% of the tee in that game and some of those kicks were hard or from distances that Ntamack could not have reached. It's not even a debate and you just look silly arguing otherwise because I will bet Ntamack has never kicked 100% in any game ever where there were 7 or more kicks on offer. Ramos is irrelevant. He wasn't on the pitch.

As for the link, anyone who puts West in the top 100 FHs should be laughed out of the room. He is a bigger pea hearted flake liability than Brock James ever was.
La soule

And yet more guess work from you, again.

And Ramos would obviously had started if Jaminet did not.

The ranking comes from people who obviously follow the T14. Not that I personally agree with West on the podium but he played an important role in wining the HC for LAR.
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm And yet more guess work from you, again.

The ranking comes from people who obviously follow the T14. Not that I personally agree with West on the podium but he played an important role in wining the HC for LAR.
It's not guess work. It's based on data. How many times has Ntamack ever been 100% of the tee in a game, say, when there were 5 or more kicks to be had. I'll bet the answer is never. Might be true for Jalibert too. And anyway, Ntamack could NOT have made some of those kicks because they were too far.

The ranking comes from public voting: ergo it's the usual idiots. No-one who actually watches sport seriously bothers voting in these things. And you've kinda agreed with that by saying you would not have West there. LaR won despite West. He's the worst FH in T14.

Back to Jaminet v Ramos off the tee.......... because that is the only criteria for either's selection. Ramos is simply not as reliable. Like I said, Ramos has periods where he goes 100% for some time. Possibly more often and for longer than Jaminet does. BUT he then has patches or games where he has a meltdown. And that's not a trait you want in your intl kicker. I'd take a Jaminet who was always 80% i.e. always misses 1 in 5 in games than a Ramos who was average at 80% but would go 4 games striking everything and then 1 game missing them all.
La soule

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:46 am
La soule wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm And yet more guess work from you, again.

It's not guess work. It's based on data. How many times has Ntamack ever been 100% of the tee in a game, say, when there were 5 or more kicks to be had. I'll bet the answer is never. Might be true for Jalibert too. And anyway, Ntamack could NOT have made some of those kicks because they were too far.

The ranking comes from public voting: ergo it's the usual idiots. No-one who actually watches sport seriously bothers voting in these things. And you've kinda agreed with that by saying you would not have West there. LaR won despite West. He's the worst FH in T14.

Back to Jaminet v Ramos off the tee.......... because that is the only criteria for either's selection. Ramos is simply not as reliable. Like I said, Ramos has periods where he goes 100% for some time. Possibly more often and for longer than Jaminet does. BUT he then has patches or games where he has a meltdown. And that's not a trait you want in your intl kicker. I'd take a Jaminet who was always 80% i.e. always misses 1 in 5 in games than a Ramos who was average at 80% but would go 4 games striking everything and then 1 game missing them all.
I don't know how many times Ntamack has not been 100% of the tee as I cannot find the data. Basically, it is all a guess woek.

The ranking is what it is. In any case, it certainly illustrate that Jalibert has lost some ground through a mix of not being great and being injured.

Ramos is a good all-round rugby player, Jaminet much less so. You take away his kicking ability and he would not be anywhere the blue jersey. It might change once playing for ST but the jury is out. And Ramos can kick
Torquemada 1420

La soule wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:29 am I don't know how many times Ntamack has not been 100% of the tee as I cannot find the data. Basically, it is all a guess woek.

The ranking is what it is. In any case, it certainly illustrate that Jalibert has lost some ground through a mix of not being great and being injured.

Ramos is a good all-round rugby player, Jaminet much less so. You take away his kicking ability and he would not be anywhere the blue jersey. It might change once playing for ST but the jury is out. And Ramos can kick
I have never disputed that. Quite the reverse: I've banged on until blue in the face that he will stay in the absence of a viable alternative, and, in this case, Galthie agrees with me i.e. it's not Ramos.

Ditto on Ramos but you've not disputed my contention of his blow hot, blow cold tendency.
Torquemada 1420

France still have confusion at 10. For all Ntamack’s brilliance as a runner, his match control is somewhat flaky at times and he simply isn’t as good at getting a pack going forward as Bordeaux’s Jalibert, who impressed on his return from injury.
:lol:
TheFrog

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:05 pm
France still have confusion at 10. For all Ntamack’s brilliance as a runner, his match control is somewhat flaky at times and he simply isn’t as good at getting a pack going forward as Bordeaux’s Jalibert, who impressed on his return from injury.
Jake?
Torquemada 1420

TheFrog wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:37 pm
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:05 pm
Jake?
I didn't look but is like his ritingz.