RWC Final : New Zealand vs South Africa - Sat 28th @ 20.00 BST

Where goats go to escape
JM2K6

Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:16 pm Less than 2 hours to be inevitably disappointed that we have BB starting at 15, Sam Cane at 7 as captain, and that we have Finlay Christie on the bench.
Would those starters be a mistake? BB has the better kicking game to Jordan and Cane has had a couple of excellent matches.

Christie is shit obviously
Grandpa

Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:16 pm Less than 2 hours to be inevitably disappointed that we have BB starting at 15, Sam Cane at 7 as captain, and that we have Finlay Christie on the bench.
Mo'unga out?
Meanwhile a Richie Mo’unga injury scare also hovered over the New Zealanders ahead of team naming, with missives circulating that the in-form No 10 had suffered a blow that could rule him out of the final. The All Blacks would not confirm the first five’s status, with their team due to be named at 6pm in France (5am Friday NZT) following the major training hitout of the week.

If Mo’unga was out, it’s likely they would bring Damian McKenzie in to start at No 10. Beauden Barrett would be the other potential fill-in at first five, though it’s thought he’s best left at fullback where he’s been the “glue” of a well-performed back three.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby-wor ... springboks
Sandstorm

Could be massive!!
Grandpa

Sandstorm wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:16 pm Could be massive!!
Yep.. Damian McKenzie would be like a deer in headlights against the Boks...
Sandstorm

Grandpa wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:21 pm
Has he managed to take a penalty shot in less than 60 secs yet?
Grandpa

Sandstorm wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:22 pm
Grandpa wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:21 pm
Has he managed to take a penalty shot in less than 60 secs yet?
It would surely wipe the grin off his face wouldn't it!
OomStruisbaai

D Mac will be a master stroke from Foster. He can unlock any defense
Grandpa

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:43 pm D Mac will be a master stroke from Foster. He can unlock any defense
I think Foster will go conservative and put Beaudan at 10... and DMac at fullback...
Grandpa

Richie has been named.. lets hope he is fit...

Nepo is in as predicted...

OomStruisbaai

Not sure how they will retain our bom squad.
Sards

That is a seriously talented AB team. Those wings......
If we win it Rassie has kept something up his sleeve.
Ymx

JM2K6 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:36 pm
Would those starters be a mistake? BB has the better kicking game to Jordan and Cane has had a couple of excellent matches.

I’d have had D Mac at FB. Papalii start. Roigard on bench.

Cane had one good game. Thought he was average against Argentina.
JM2K6

Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:41 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:36 pm

I’d have had D Mac at FB. Papalii start. Roigard on bench.

Cane had one good game. Thought he was average against Argentina.
DMac's had a pretty bad tournament by his standards from what I've seen of him. Can't imagine him being in the conversation to start.

Cane was very effective against Argentina. Not a hope in hell any coach would have dropped him for the final.
Ymx

Oh no, Barnes already starting to make it about him.

And he’s talking about the cursed final of 95.
JM2K6

Yup, the fix is in. Damn.
Sandstorm

JM2K6 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:20 pm Yup, the fix is in. Damn.
Barnes is going to be great.
Ymx

I’m not sure why he’s on twitter, he’s already receiving threats from the Saffers.
OomStruisbaai

Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:04 pm I’m not sure why he’s on twitter, he’s already receiving threats from the Saffers.
2007 threats from NZ make him use to it.
Ymx

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:22 pm
Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:04 pm I’m not sure why he’s on twitter, he’s already receiving threats from the Saffers.
2007 threats from NZ make him use to it.
Didn’t your lot threaten his family just last year?
Ymx

Polly Barnes says that fans threatened to kill her children and burn down her house.

Although she doesn't specify which set of fans are behind the hate campaign, the abuse which was directed at her husband in recent weeks has come following South Africa's loss to France in the Autumn Nation Series, in which Springbok fans took issue with a number of his refereeing decisions.

Barnes has revealed on The Good, the Bad & the Rugby how the toll of online abuse led to discussions around giving up the whistle to continue as a lawyer. The 43-year-old detailed a harrowing account of the abuse aimed at his partner Polly in the aftermath of the game that threatened his family.

Now Polly herself has spoken out on Twitter.

"I’ve seen some things in the last few years, but receiving direct messages from rugby ‘fans’ threatening to kill your kids & burn your house down with your family in it over a few on-field decisions is a new low for me, my family & a plague for our entire game. It must stop now," wrote Mrs Barnes.
boere wors

going to be absolute kak weather saturday evening, same as last week. Showers of rain and gusty wind up to 35kts :roll:
OomStruisbaai

Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:29 pm

Polly Barnes says that fans threatened to kill her children and burn down her house.

Although she doesn't specify which set of fans are behind the hate campaign, the abuse which was directed at her husband in recent weeks has come following South Africa's loss to France in the Autumn Nation Series, in which Springbok fans took issue with a number of his refereeing decisions.

Barnes has revealed on The Good, the Bad & the Rugby how the toll of online abuse led to discussions around giving up the whistle to continue as a lawyer. The 43-year-old detailed a harrowing account of the abuse aimed at his partner Polly in the aftermath of the game that threatened his family.

"I’ve seen some things in the last few years, but receiving direct messages from rugby ‘fans’ threatening to kill your kids & burn your house down with your family in it over a few on-field decisions is a new low for me, my family & a plague for our entire game. It must stop now," wrote Mrs Barnes.
But some supporters took it way too far, as Bebo profiles were created by hundreds of All Blacks fans and he was sent personal abuse and vile death threats, with posts including mock obituaries of the official and calls for him to be "shot by a sniper".
You lot starts this shite, so try something new.
Jethro

boere wors wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:56 pm going to be absolute kak weather saturday evening, same as last week. Showers of rain and gusty wind up to 35kts :roll:
I wouldn't worry Barnes will red card a couple of ABs within the first half an hour :shock:
Guy Smiley

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:22 pm
Spoiler
Show
Ymx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:29 pm

But some supporters took it way too far, as Bebo profiles were created by hundreds of All Blacks fans and he was sent personal abuse and vile death threats, with posts including mock obituaries of the official and calls for him to be "shot by a sniper".
You lot starts this shite, so try something new.
Pieter van Zyl was yesterday convicted of assaulting David McHugh, the Irish referee he put out of the Tri-Nations match between South Africa and New Zealand at King's Park on August 10.

The beefy Potchefstroom businessman's tackle when he invaded the pitch looked innocuous, but McHugh's shoulder was dislocated as stunned players tried frantically to separate the pair.

That was Van Zyl's defence against the original charge of assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm. It was conducted not in open court but behind closed doors.

By the time Van Zyl appeared in front of the magistrate the charge was common assault. He pleaded guilty and was so found. Had the justice system's computers been up to scratch, and thus been able to establish whether Van Zyl had a criminal record, he would have been sentenced yesterday. Instead, all present will have to return on October 28.

Which, Van Zyl's beaming face hinted afterwards, would be no hardship for someone who seemed eager to grab more than his 15 minutes of fame.

"We're a little bit downhearted that it didn't end today, but I'll travel down 20 times if necessary to see justice done," Van Zyl, looking anything but downhearted, told the media, and confusing those who thought justice had already been done. "The public support I have received was overwhelming. I didn't expect it and it was heartening."

At which point Van Zyl's lawyer, Bertie Grobbelaar, glared at his client and drew a finger across his throat.
Fuck your trolling Oom.
assfly

Take it wasy lads. It's been good banter so far.

Both sides have got plenty of shit to throw at each other, but let's rather focus on our wonderful history and tradition and look forward to a great game.
Gumboot

I'm glad they've stuck with Williams ahead of Ofa, and can understand Laulala's selection. Just hope he doesn't have an off night with his tackling and handling.

Gotta feel for Dane Coles. Let's hope Samisoni justifies his selection with a great performance when he comes on.

And whatever happens, kudos to Ian Foster. He's got us two games further than I thought he would, so this final feels like a real treat. Can't wait!
assfly

I thought this game would be perfect for Coles, to get under the skin of the Boks pack. He's a nightmare to play against.
Gumboot

Yep, all his experience in the last few minutes...
Kiwias

As much as I rate Taukei'aho, I too really hoped to see the niggly little shit Coles out there to wind up the Bokke in the last 20mins. Otherwise, Fozzie has picked the best possible squad.
Gumboot

Yep, after years of muddled selections, he's finally realised that Rieko's a 13, Jordie's a 12, and Telea's an 11. After trying what felt like a dozen candidates at 6, he finally settled on Frizell. And after ignoring the obvious for far too long, he finally brought in some fresh young props to replace our slow and out of form veterans. It's like the only areas of stability in the team during all the turmoil have been the inside backs and the locks. But, he finally seems to have learnt his learnings, so credit for that.
Uncle fester

Very weird seeing an AB team with no Coles and Whitelock on the bench.
Blake

I don't know how I'm going to last 2 more days of this buildup.

My nerves are shot.
assfly

Blake wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:22 am I don't know how I'm going to last 2 more days of this buildup.

My nerves are shot.
I'm having a fairly unproductive day at work.

Saturday is going to feel like a month.
Grandpa

Gumboot wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:14 am Yep, after years of muddled selections, he's finally realised that Rieko's a 13, Jordie's a 12, and Telea's an 11. After trying what felt like a dozen candidates at 6, he finally settled on Frizell. And after ignoring the obvious for far too long, he finally brought in some fresh young props to replace our slow and out of form veterans. It's like the only areas of stability in the team during all the turmoil have been the inside backs and the locks. But, he finally seems to have learnt his learnings, so credit for that.
Is it just coincidence that this all started to come right once Ryan and Schmidt came on board? I don't think we'd be here if they hadn't of come in...
Kiwias

Grandpa wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:01 am
Gumboot wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:14 am Yep, after years of muddled selections, he's finally realised that Rieko's a 13, Jordie's a 12, and Telea's an 11. After trying what felt like a dozen candidates at 6, he finally settled on Frizell. And after ignoring the obvious for far too long, he finally brought in some fresh young props to replace our slow and out of form veterans. It's like the only areas of stability in the team during all the turmoil have been the inside backs and the locks. But, he finally seems to have learnt his learnings, so credit for that.
Is it just coincidence that this all started to come right once Ryan and Schmidt came on board? I don't think we'd be here if they hadn't of come in...
The stability in selection really only started after those two joined the coaching team.
Ymx

Jethro wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:07 am
boere wors wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:56 pm going to be absolute kak weather saturday evening, same as last week. Showers of rain and gusty wind up to 35kts :roll:
I wouldn't worry Barnes will red card a couple of ABs within the first half an hour :shock:
I’m picking it will be yellows first half, he will save the red for the second half against a white karnt - probably Scooter.
assfly

Duane's last game as a Bok :cry:

Apart from Whitelock, are there any All Blacks where it's their last game?
Blake

assfly wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:25 am
Blake wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:22 am I don't know how I'm going to last 2 more days of this buildup.

My nerves are shot.
I'm having a fairly unproductive day at work.

Saturday is going to feel like a month.
The last 2 weeks have been rough man. Productivity levels at record lows for me.
I expected a QF final exit against France/NZ so wasn't too fussed into the lead up to that match.

But getting through by the skin of our teeth got us into territoty I hadn't mentally and emotionally prepared myself for.
I've been so distracted with this euphoria, buildup, tension, euphoria, buildup cycle. I'm ready for this to be overwith man.

Just hope it ends with euphoria again and not with gutrenching disappointment.
Last edited by Blake on Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake

assfly wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:15 am Duane's last game as a Bok :cry:

Apart from Whitelock, are there any All Blacks where it's their last game?
A couple or leaving for Japan which will make them ineligable for the All Blacks until they return.

But I think Aaron Smith is also retiring after this match along with Whitelock.
assfly

Blake wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:26 am The last 2 weeks have been rough man. Productivity levels at record lows for me.
I expected a QF final against France/NZ so wasn't too fussed into the lead up to that match.

But getting through by the skin of our teeth got us into territoty I hadn't mentally and emotionally prepared myself for.
I've been so distracted with this euphoria, buildup, tension, euphoria, buildup cycle. I'm ready for this to be overwith man.

Just hope it ends with euphoria again and not with gutrenching disappointment.
Yes I also question how much emotional energy I have put into this. I've actually been neglecting so many other things for the last month.

In a weird way, I'll be glad when it's over.