The Official Dog Thread

Where goats go to escape
Raggs

mat the expat wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:02 am
charltom wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:56 pm
mat the expat wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:51 am Image

Miss Pinot - retired after 18 races due to a broken toe. In Greyhound Rescue kennels for a month. Ours for 7 months

First dog! :shock:
Our first is also a greyhound almost identical to yours. Gorgeous, and never any bother 👍🥰
Yep, we've just moved from a Unit back to a house and she's completely chilled about the whole thing - just finding new places to sniff and sleep!
If they can walk instead of trot they will. If they can stand instead of walk they will. If they can sit instead of stand. If they can lie down instead of sit.

But if they can run...

Lovely dogs, never got to work with them much because of it.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mat the expat

Raggs wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:23 am
But if they can run...

Lovely dogs, never got to work with them much because of it.
They can certainly run if they can be bothered - the most I've got out of Miss Pinot is 2 sprints....

I volunteer with a local Greyhound Rescue - it's fantastic. Last year, they rehomed over 400!
fishfoodie

It's that time of the year again; if you hear anyone talking about getting a puppy for Christmas, do them a favor & put an arm around their shoulders & turn them to face you, look into their eyes & ask them if their really prepared to support another family member for the rest of that members life !

.... then knee them in the balls, drag them to their feet & get them in a full nelson, & tell them to cop the fuck on !!!!

If they really want a dog, start by fostering one, there's thousands facing a deferred death sentence, & if they can't cope with one for a few months, they are part of the problem & not part of any solution.
Tichtheid

Our Irish Terrier Bramble left us this afternoon.

She was a couple of months off fifteen years old, so "a good innings" as they say, which doesn't soften the blow one iota. It was quick, she was very slow last week, went off her food two days ago and died at home in the arms of my daughter without veterinary intervention.

We all have our favourite memories, mine is walking for miles first thing in the morning through the woods in below freezing temperatures with the hoar frost thick on the trees, Bramble always a few metres in front.

Jock42

Sorry to read that mate, take care.

ETA, braw looking dog and a cracking name.
Last edited by Jock42 on Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jethro

Well I put my foot down on the real dog requirement ... we are picking up a Spoodle tomorrow :???:
Sandstorm

Jethro wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:17 am Well I put my foot down on the real dog requirement ... we are picking up a Spoodle tomorrow :???:
Oohhh, a bird at work has one. It’s a Pescatarian. Something about allergies and what the dog’s therapist was saying……I left the room halfway thru the conversation
BnM

Sorry Titchfield.
Line6 HXFX

Unacceptable Refry. Have a break until the New Year - last warning
TedMaul

What a feeble twat you are.
sockwithaticket

Reported him, he's been on a wierdly sexist tear recently. No place for it.
Openside

assfly wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:14 am
Ali Cadoo wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 am Hi, my name is Ali and I am addicted to watching dog rescue videos on faceache/youtube.
Ah dammit man. I could watch those all day.
My wife is addicted to one called Asher House.
Openside

TedMaul wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:43 pm What a feeble twat you are.
What did the flakey numpty say?
Gumboot

Blackmac

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:57 pm Our Irish Terrier Bramble left us this afternoon.

She was a couple of months off fifteen years old, so "a good innings" as they say, which doesn't soften the blow one iota. It was quick, she was very slow last week, went off her food two days ago and died at home in the arms of my daughter without veterinary intervention.

We all have our favourite memories, mine is walking for miles first thing in the morning through the woods in below freezing temperatures with the hoar frost thick on the trees, Bramble always a few metres in front.

Always a few meters in front but I take it he would always turn to come back and round you up. I used to scoff at how upset people got about losing their dogs until we lost our own 17 year old terrier two Hogmanays ago. It's amazing how attached you become to the wee buggers.
TedMaul

Openside wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:08 pm
Had a sad and lonely dig at BNM, he’s a waste of space looking for attention.
MungoMan

Openside wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:08 pm
Whatever it was, can one of the IT-savvy adminfolk please arrange for this to play on permanent loop on sadleeksack's device whenever he attempts a login.

TedMaul

:lol:
BnM

BnM

Tichtheid

Blackmac wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:57 am
Tichtheid wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:57 pm Our Irish Terrier Bramble left us this afternoon.

Always a few meters in front but I take it he would always turn to come back and round you up. I used to scoff at how upset people got about losing their dogs until we lost our own 17 year old terrier two Hogmanays ago. It's amazing how attached you become to the wee buggers.

Actually, there was no herding instinct in her at all, it was all about the hunt and chase. Irish Terriers, Airedales, Welshies and Wire-haired Fox Terriers all seem to be cut from the same cloth, "terrier" is from "terre" or "ground" - they will chase anything that runs on the ground - a friend who had an Airedale reckoned that he couldn't even stop his dog chasing a running squirrel if he had a piece of steak in his hand, they are incredibly wilful, but of course I wouldn't have it any other way.

If I do ever get another dog it will be an Airedale, I couldn't get another Irish.
fishfoodie

Labs relationship with food probably gave this away to be fair ...
Why fat Labradors can blame their genes

A genetic mutation makes some Labradors and flat-coated retrievers constantly hungry while burning fewer calories, say scientists.

This "double whammy" effect means dog owners must pay special attention to keeping their pets slim.

The mutation was found in one-in-four Labrador retrievers and two-thirds of flat-coated retrievers.

"It shows us the power of our genes to change how we feel about food," the lead scientist says.

More than 80 pet Labradors dogs took part in the study.

They were given various tests, including the 'sausage in a box' test, where they were tempted with a hidden treat they could see and smell.

Dogs with the POMC mutation tried much harder to get at the sausage than dogs without it, indicating greater hunger.

The dogs were then allowed to sleep in a special chamber that measured the gases they breathed out revealing those with the POMC mutation burn about 25% fewer calories than dogs without it.

Kathryn Taylor has a "big chunky black lab" called Leo, who took part in the study.

She said he will eat anything, including a bowl of salad from the table, runner beans from vegetable beds and has been known to dig up carrots.
:lol: :lol:

"You can feed him and he'll still be wanting more food," she said, adding that they work hard to keep him slim including using a slow feeder bowl.

As many as two in three dogs (34-59%) in rich countries are now overweight.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68492504

They're great family dogs, but you have make sure they get enough exercise, or you'll end up with vets bills, & special diets, & a very grouchy dog.