Freezing cold water dips

Where goats go to escape
Ymx

Slick, when are you next breaking the ice?

Need someone else to be sharing the pain !

Bloody cold toes today was my test.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:18 pm Slick, when are you next breaking the ice?

Need someone else to be sharing the pain !

Bloody cold toes today was my test.
Down south at the moment so will probably be 4th/5th
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Openside

Ymx wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 pm For Christmas I was gifted a cold water plunge bath.

It’s nothing complicated at all. Basically a half barrel shaped paddling pool. Fill it with cold water and ice, and then torture yourself until you feel good.

Anyone else have one, or do cold dips?

Please share your experience/tips …
I sit in the pool up to my neck for 5 mins most mornings. It really gets rid of the aches and pains.
petej

Ymx wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:06 pm Day 5. 25 mins.

Again, much easier today. Was in the zone within a minute.

I had a huge bath yesterday, afterwards. About 45 mins.

Today I didn’t, and just dressed up loads and got back in to bed and watched Fargo.

Although, admittedly I only just started feeling warm again about an hour ago.

This is the one I’m using which is absolutely fine. So if you’re wondering what to do with any Amazon vouchers …

https://amzn.eu/d/4gcHsgi
Definitely tempted. I tend to finish showers with 1 min of coldto wake me up. How frequently do you need to change the water (everyday, once a week)?
Ymx

petej wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:40 pm
Ymx wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:06 pm Day 5. 25 mins.

Again, much easier today. Was in the zone within a minute.

I had a huge bath yesterday, afterwards. About 45 mins.

Today I didn’t, and just dressed up loads and got back in to bed and watched Fargo.

Although, admittedly I only just started feeling warm again about an hour ago.

This is the one I’m using which is absolutely fine. So if you’re wondering what to do with any Amazon vouchers …

https://amzn.eu/d/4gcHsgi
Definitely tempted. I tend to finish showers with 1 min of coldto wake me up. How frequently do you need to change the water (everyday, once a week)?
👍👍

It says to change the water once every 5 days. But it stays pretty clean even after a week, especially if you cover it up.

Takes about 20 minutes to refill with hose. It’s no more complicated than a paddling pool.

If you’re already in to cold water in the shower, this is definitely one to try. The link on the prev page does the job perfectly. Comfy to sit in. 👌
Ymx

Openside wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:36 pm
Ymx wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 pm For Christmas I was gifted a cold water plunge bath.

It’s nothing complicated at all. Basically a half barrel shaped paddling pool. Fill it with cold water and ice, and then torture yourself until you feel good.

I sit in the pool up to my neck for 5 mins most mornings. It really gets rid of the aches and pains.
Great work OS. With or without pool heating?
Openside

Ymx wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:06 pm

You can take the boy out of Scotland but you can’t….
notfatcat

What aches and pains? I thought you sat on your fat arse all day.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
Ymx

45 mins today as an experiment. Hot shower after.

I’m still here.
Ymx

Openside wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:31 am
Ymx wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:06 pm

You can take the boy out of Scotland but you can’t….
Excellent OS.
SomersetJock

Did a dip this morning in lake Bassenthwaite.

I can confirm that a lake in the Lake Ditrict is a lot colder than the sea in north Wales 😮
Ymx

It’s getting much easier now. Although I didn’t check the water was 9 today. It was yesterday. But may have warmed up.

Perhaps next I start adding some ice to the water.
Slick

First dip for a wee while this morning, 5.6 degrees, sun shining and some nice waves. Needed it and feel bullet proof now, still buzzing 2 hours later
Slick

SomersetJock wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:07 pm Did a dip this morning in lake Bassenthwaite.

I can confirm that a lake in the Lake Ditrict is a lot colder than the sea in north Wales 😮
Yes, we did a trip down to the Lakes at the beginning of April last year and they were really cold
Ymx

Finding it much easier this week.

Water crept a little colder today at 8 degrees.
mat the expat

My plan also
Guy Smiley

link
Weird Guy Who Did A Poo In The Urinal In Year 8 Now Really Into His Ice Baths

In the dying abyss of Facebook, a former schoolmate of a Betoota Heights man has emerged from the content doldrums to tell the world that he’s really into his ice baths now.

So much so, Coyne Peckham is starting to let the practice of plunging oneself into frigid water define him as a person.

His former classmate, Mark Frisbee, said he hadn’t heard much from Coyne since they left Betoota Heights Sports High in 2010. However, the memories he has of Coyne are not good.

“He’s a weird guy,” said Mark.

“That’s what I remember about him. He was an outsider and an attention seeker, which is a recipe for disaster if you ask me. In Year 8, for some reason, he decided to do a poo in the urinal. It wasn’t like he did it for a joke, he did it in front of us. Maybe he thought it was a joke but for me, it wasn’t,”

“It was a big deal at the time. He went away for a few weeks afterwards. We didn’t even put shit on his brothers, it was that weird. Mind the pun, sorry. But yeah, Coyne is a truly odd guy and I wish him the best. I can only hope he wants nothing to do with me ever again and I wish I never have to see or hear from him again,”
Ymx

:lol: :lol: you really are such a dickhead
Slick

😂

Anyway. Overdid it a bit on my first dip back after a while yesterday it seems… spent 2 hours sleeping in bed in the afternoon!
Sandstorm

Guy :lol:
Ymx

Slick wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:27 am 😂

Anyway. Overdid it a bit on my first dip back after a while yesterday it seems… spent 2 hours sleeping in bed in the afternoon!
It does make you exhausted. Body switching to repair mode.
Ymx

I put an ice thing in the tub beforehand.

I measured temp and it was 8 degrees.

Got in and it felt cold. Did my normal 25 minutes and my feet and hands were really feeling it.

Checked the temp again and it said 6 degrees. Must have got a bad read before. Water not mixed or didn’t leave it long enough in water first time.

It felt much colder than usual, just those 2 degrees.
Guy Smiley

I was told years ago that making an ice slurry for your chilly bin / esky / cooler is more effective for chilling beers than just ice on its own... the slurry means the water temp is lowered through contact with the ice and there is a greater surface area for contact with liquid than there is with ice blocks, therefore the cooling effect is greater.

Makes sense, it's all heat transfer. Coincidentally, wrapping a champagne or wine bottle with a wet tea towel and putting it in the freezer will have your wine ready for serving within minutes. Handy tip for those emergency moments when you don't have any ready chilled and Winston comes around wanting a Pol Roger.

My local physio sells collapsible ice baths. Reading this thread has me thinking about getting one. Very popular for sport recovery and as you guys are relating, they're becoming more popular as a general health booster.
Dogbert

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... 6At3UfGLTM

An Interesting , and balanced programme on the benefits ( and drawbacks ) of cold water immersion.

Summary

Cold water immersion may slow down muscle growth.
Reducing inflammation helps treat depression
Ice baths don't help stress or circulation in the long-term
Plunging into cold water can be deadly
Long-term cold exposure weakens your immune system.
Open water swimming is a safer alternative to ice baths
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails
Ymx

Well, ignoring all of that, I’m sure it’s pretty damn gold stuff. Anecdotally, my immune system seems pretty good since I’ve taken to wearing shorts and tee shirts all year round.

I’m taking Wim Hoff as god on this thread.

Today the cold water went down to 5 degrees, which I spent 30 mins in. Due to the main issue being toes, I have cheated and got some neoprene slippers to keep it manageable. But I’ll probably be castigated by Slick for this.
Sandstorm

Ymx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:43 pm I’ve taken to wearing shorts and tee shirts all year round.
Putz
Ymx

Damned auto correct. Not tee shirts - wee skirts
mat the expat

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:57 pm
Ymx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:43 pm I’ve taken to wearing shorts and tee shirts all year round.
Putz
Pfft! I only wore trousers 4 times last year.

Breezy!
Slick

Ymx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:43 pm Well, ignoring all of that, I’m sure it’s pretty damn gold stuff. Anecdotally, my immune system seems pretty good since I’ve taken to wearing shorts and tee shirts all year round.

Today the cold water went down to 5 degrees, which I spent 30 mins in. Due to the main issue being toes, I have cheated and got some neoprene slippers to keep it manageable. But I’ll probably be castigated by Slick for this.
Nope. I wear shoes all year round - mainly because I’m a fanny about what I might stand on… and gloves in the winter as well
Ymx

Slick wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:18 am
Ymx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:43 pm Well, ignoring all of that, I’m sure it’s pretty damn gold stuff. Anecdotally, my immune system seems pretty good since I’ve taken to wearing shorts and tee shirts all year round.

Nope. I wear shoes all year round - mainly because I’m a fanny about what I might stand on… and gloves in the winter as well
👍
bok_viking

When I still lived in Denmark we often went to the North of Sweden in winter and did the whole "Sit in Sauna till hot. run to the ice lake, jump in, rinse, repeat" routine. Definitely a shocking experience the first time around. But my body used to feel very good and alive afterwards, Quite a popular Scandinavian thing
Ymx

Christ, the water was 3 degrees today. Stayed for 25 mins.

My whole torso was bright red after the dip.

My hands were in pain. I’ve ordered some gloves.

On the bright side, I’ve been told I’ve definitely lost some weight.
Openside

mat the expat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:53 pm

My plan also
It really works
mat the expat

Yeah. I have RA so this and visiting the Ocean Baths 10 minute drive away are my long term plans for mobility
Ymx

3 degrees again yesterday.

Gloves have just arrived. I’m really looking forward to it today. Although the air temp is -2 degrees this morning- yikes.
Ymx

Ok.

This is what I was facing today, ice over the cover.

It was 2 degrees. Did 30 mins. Think I need to trim it down a little. Had my new gloves to help the fingers.

When I got out, all the water droplets around the top edge of the pool had frozen. The air temp was -2

Had a coffee and then a 30 min warm shower.
Margin__Walker

Frankie's got your back lads

Ymx

Pffft.

-5 degrees outside, 3 degree water today. 25 mins was plenty. Fingertips cold even with gloves.

Sometimes, after, I get this weird sensation that things after faster. Ie the coffee machine sounds higher pitched. The beats of a song are faster. Like it’s completely changed my CPU rate.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:36 pm Pffft.

-5 degrees outside, 3 degree water today. 25 mins was plenty. Fingertips cold even with gloves.

Sometimes, after, I get this weird sensation that things after faster. Ie the coffee machine sounds higher pitched. The beats of a song are faster. Like it’s completely changed my CPU rate.
I think you are overdoing it to be honest
Ymx

I’m pretty sure you’re right. Will drop it by a few minutes. Was just experimenting with my limits