6 Nations 2024

Where goats go to escape
Margin__Walker

That's interesting. Pretty well signalled that he was off, but would be surprised if too many people were openly talking NFL.

Gloucester have a pretty active forum and no one has claimed to know about this prior to the announcement yesterday. Cant see any chatter on Twitter either. Not sure I'd be too hard on Gatland for not knowing as it sounds like it happened very fast.
topofthemoon

Jim Lahey

Harry Byrne must have the world's greatest agent.

I know we are not exactly flush at 10 but how has this guy made the Irish squad? He's probably 3rd choice at Leinster behind his big bro and Frawley, he's always injured, and when he's not he's been fairly shite of late :lol:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
C69

Wales are going to get fucked senseless.
Biffer

C69 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:01 pm Wales are going to get fucked senseless.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
SaintK

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Slick

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Sandstorm

Quality :grin:
topofthemoon

Players retained from squads for the 2023 Six Nations:

Ireland - 27
Scotland - 27
Italy - 21
France - 20
England - 17
Wales - 14

Ymx

Just reposting this here

ASMO

3rd place finish for England would be considered a success
Uncle fester

Slick wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:41 am 2 1/2 weeks away and the build up has been a little subdued, but squads starting to be announced today which should get things going.

I don't know if it was the awful WC that has knocked the stuffing out of everyone but at least we get our rugby comfort blanket back for a few weeks.

Anyway, final table will look like this:

Scotland

France
Ireland
England
Italy
Wales
Fixed your post.
clydecloggie

Uncle fester wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:01 pm
Slick wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:41 am 2 1/2 weeks away and the build up has been a little subdued, but squads starting to be announced today which should get things going.

I don't know if it was the awful WC that has knocked the stuffing out of everyone but at least we get our rugby comfort blanket back for a few weeks.

Scotland

France
Ireland
England
Italy
Wales
Fixed your post.
I'm thinking best-case scenario for Scotland is a 3-way tie on 4 wins. Scotland loses in Dublin, France in Edinburgh, Ireland in Marseille. Scotland 3rd on bonus points.

So...

Ireland/France in whatever order
Scotland
England
Italy
Andorra
Paddington Bear

How England go will be an interesting one. Our games get progressively harder each week, if we get through the first two weeks OK we might see some confidence build, more of a coherent game etc.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Dinsdale Piranha

Paddington Bear wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:47 am How England go will be an interesting one. Our games get progressively harder each week, if we get through the first two weeks OK we might see some confidence build, more of a coherent game etc.
Pretty important for Borthwick to show some progress. I'm giving him a pass for the moment due to the shitshow he inherited.

For me, the biggest credit in his bank is that in the Eng v SA semi, despite the painful tactics the England players looked well up for it in a way that hadn't been seen for a while.
Biffer

clydecloggie wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:14 am

Scotland

France
Ireland
England
Italy
Wales
Fixed your post.
I'm thinking best-case scenario for Scotland is a 3-way tie on 4 wins. Scotland loses in Dublin, France in Edinburgh, Ireland in Marseille. Scotland 3rd on bonus points.

So...

Scotland
England
Italy
Andorra
Ireland have a much poorer record in London than you might imagine.
Paddington Bear

Biffer wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:32 am

Fixed your post.

So...

Scotland
England
Italy
Andorra
Because for most of recorded history Ireland have been shit at rugby. Not convinced the historical record matters at all tbh
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Biffer

Paddington Bear wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:18 pm

So...

Scotland
England
Italy
Andorra
Because for most of recorded history Ireland have been shit at rugby. Not convinced the historical record matters at all tbh
I mean recently, even when Ireland have been good.
Paddington Bear

Biffer wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:38 pm
Paddington Bear wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:18 pm

I mean recently, even when Ireland have been good.
Valid, but I don’t think we’ve beaten Ireland with a noticeably weaker team than them in recent years - most of the time we’ve been a little stronger
Big D

I think England will surprise a few in the 6N is a good way.
Paddington Bear

Big D wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:02 pm I think England will surprise a few in the 6N is a good way.
If we can see off Italy and Wales, go to Murrayfield with some confidence, win an inevitable tight one…

I doubt we’ll be playing an all court game but I think we’ll be a much tougher nut to crack
Slick

Big D wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:02 pm I think England will surprise a few in the 6N is a good way.
I do as well.

People outside England seem to rate Borthwick more than inside.
Ovals

Slick wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:16 pm
I do as well.

People outside England seem to rate Borthwick more than inside.
I think most of us are still very wary. He's picked a decent squad and we have lots of players in good form. What we're not sure of is if that'll translate into a really promising side with a more adventurous game plan. No one expects England to go full 'Quins' but our best players are more suited to a more expansive game than Borthers has played so far - albeit he was limited by time and the changes he could make.

He'll, correctly, want an experienced core - and we have quite a few that are playing well domestically - but some of his 'favourites', like Daly and Ford, really haven't. He'll have to be bolder than he's been so far.

If he gets it right we could go really well.
JM2K6

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:19 am
Paddington Bear wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:47 am How England go will be an interesting one. Our games get progressively harder each week, if we get through the first two weeks OK we might see some confidence build, more of a coherent game etc.
Pretty important for Borthwick to show some progress. I'm giving him a pass for the moment due to the shitshow he inherited.

For me, the biggest credit in his bank is that in the Eng v SA semi, despite the painful tactics the England players looked well up for it in a way that hadn't been seen for a while.
Can't imagine just how bad things would have to be for the team to not get up for a semi final of the world cup, tbh
Dinsdale Piranha

JM2K6 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:40 am

Can't imagine just how bad things would have to be for the team to not get up for a semi final of the world cup, tbh
We managed it for a final.
clydecloggie

England surprising in a good way means they get the wooden spoon in my world.

England surprising in a bad way is them taking advantage of the perfect early draw, win an abominal game in torrential horizontal rain at Murrayfield 6-3 and then beat dispirited and weakened (by injures, retirements and absences) France and ireland sides in the last two rounds for a Slame that puts the Welsh jam slam from a few years back to shame.
Ovals

clydecloggie wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:36 am
England surprising in a good way means they get the wooden spoon in my world.

England surprising in a bad way is them taking advantage of the perfect early draw, win an abominal game in torrential horizontal rain at Murrayfield 6-3 and then beat dispirited and weakened (by injures, retirements and absences) France and ireland sides in the last two rounds for a Slame that puts the Welsh jam slam from a few years back to shame.
Even if we play as well as I could reasonably hope/pray for - we aren't beating the French in France.
JM2K6

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:44 am

Different story entirely. The semi final was against the best team in the world and was the culmination of everything that had been worked on. The prep for the final was bad, and there was complacency - they'd made it to the final and SA had looked a step below NZ and us.

A semi final is a pretty rare beast. One good performance and you're in the final, something many fine players have never experienced in their lives. It's an almost unique opportunity, which is why we've seen so many poor teams raise their game for them.

I'm almost more impressed he got them up for the 3rd place game, tbh!

I like the squad he's picked with a couple of quibbles, though. May as well treat it as a blank slate. I refuse to countenance the idea that we couldn't have an effective attacking game when he took over and the utter lack of ambition or attacking clarity is very much his fault. I expect significant improvement.
Raggs

JM2K6 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Different story entirely. The semi final was against the best team in the world and was the culmination of everything that had been worked on. The prep for the final was bad, and there was complacency - they'd made it to the final and SA had looked a step below NZ and us.

A semi final is a pretty rare beast. One good performance and you're in the final, something many fine players have never experienced in their lives. It's an almost unique opportunity, which is why we've seen so many poor teams raise their game for them.

I like the squad he's picked with a couple of quibbles, though. May as well treat it as a blank slate. I refuse to countenance the idea that we couldn't have an effective attacking game when he took over and the utter lack of ambition or attacking clarity is very much his fault. I expect significant improvement.
You'd have to hope that a team with so many Saints and Quins players in, will have some attacking intent.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Ovals

Raggs wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:48 pm
JM2K6 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:31 pm

You'd have to hope that a team with so many Saints and Quins players in, will have some attacking intent.
Absolutely. But, as an international coach you'd also note how many points those two teams concede !! Hopefully we can find a way of getting the former without the latter.
JM2K6

It's about intent, looking for opportunities, and having the vision, skill, and guts to exploit them. Pretty much every player in the squad has been part of a team doing that successfully in the past. Not even I would pretend you have to be a Quins or Saints player to seize an attacking opportunity...

The only defensive sacrifice being made there is the risk of being turned over. But some opportunities are so gilt edged that not even trying to take them is a net loss of territory, let alone points, and Borthwick has so far shown the one thing he valued above all else was a point blank refusal to deviate from a pressure based kicking game, which in itself does not score points.
C69

I hope so.
Tichtheid

Danty I already knew about, but it seems like France are also going to be without Meafou and Jelonch - that's three huge ball carriers out
JM2K6

Tichtheid wrote: ↑Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:33 pm Danty I already knew about, but it seems like France are also going to be without Meafou and Jelonch - that's three huge ball carriers out
It's fine, the guy in charge of their development pathway has a plan
Spoiler
Show
Tichtheid

JM2K6 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:13 pm
Tichtheid wrote: ↑Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:33 pm Danty I already knew about, but it seems like France are also going to be without Meafou and Jelonch - that's three huge ball carriers out
It's fine, the guy in charge of their development pathway has a plan
Spoiler
Show

Ha! Not too far off.

Funnily enough the most exciting players in their U20s last year were back three or scrum halves.
Marylandolorian

Also missing Flament, Wardi, Ntamak, Dupont, yeah .
Slick

I see the Netflix series from last years 6N has just dropped.

Think the first episode has quite a lot of Scotland in it - have cleared the TV for a wee watch this evening
inactionman

Slick wrote: ↑Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:58 am I see the Netflix series from last years 6N has just dropped.

Think the first episode has quite a lot of Scotland in it - have cleared the TV for a wee watch this evening
Reviews of it ain't good, sadly, but the bits on Italy's coaching team sound amusing.
Jock42

Slick wrote: ↑Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:58 am I see the Netflix series from last years 6N has just dropped.

Been looking forward to this but saving it for the weekend
Slick

inactionman wrote: ↑Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:59 am

Reviews of it ain't good, sadly, but the bits on Italy's coaching team sound amusing.
I've got a bit confused if it was reviews for this series, or another less ambitious one that tanked earlier, that are bad