Letting kids play rugby = child abuse.

Where goats go to escape
Blackmac

According to the British Philosophy of Sport Association.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/rugby-in-sch ... perts-say/

Clearly they were never forced to do gymnastics. πŸ™
Tichtheid

Blackmac wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:35 am According to the British Philosophy of Sport Association.

or cross country running in a North Sea coastal town in January.
Jim Lahey

No doubt so is sending a kid to their room for fighting with their sibling, denying them the Nintendo Switch for being a little shit or grounding them.

Wee pets.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Brazil

Well if the British Philosophy of Sport Association say it, it must be true.
Blackmac

Tichtheid wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:40 am
Blackmac wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:35 am According to the British Philosophy of Sport Association.

or cross country running in a North Sea coastal town in January.
Yep, almost as bad. We had to run up the hills behind Dingwall. Usually 2 foot of mud. If you forgot your kit they had a good supply of dirty old used shorts and baffies for you. Being 6"4 and stiff as a brush at 12, gymnastics was definitely worse for me.
Slick

Brazil wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:49 am Well if the British Philosophy of Sport Association say it, it must be true.
That's an interesting proposition
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
sockwithaticket

It's certainly not abuse, but I don't think kids should be forced to take part in contact sports

In most state schools it's a complete non-issue anyway as they simply don't offer rugby outside of touch in regular PE lessons.
Blackmac

sockwithaticket wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:45 am It's certainly not abuse, but I don't think kids should be forced to take part in contact sports

In most state schools it's a complete non-issue anyway as they simply don't offer rugby outside of touch in regular PE lessons.
They would have imploded about Highland schools in the 70's and 80's where shinty was on the curriculum and rugby was actually considered a soft sport played by posh kids.
The sheer look of terror as kids, who had never played the game, faced up to the rest of us, who had been wielding camans since we were toddlers was definitely child abuse.
Margin__Walker

God I hated cross country.

Used to do it every week for 6 weeks or so a year. It was always bloody January through endless muddy fields. Put me off running for exercise for life. Give me rugby over that any day of the week as a 14yo

Edit - Thankfully my state school did play rugby. Can imagine many don't these days
Last edited by Margin__Walker on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandstorm

Blackmac wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:50 am
sockwithaticket wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:45 am It's certainly not abuse, but I don't think kids should be forced to take part in contact sports

They would have imploded about Highland schools in the 70's and 80's where shinty was on the curriculum and rugby was actually considered a soft sport played by posh kids.
The sheer look of terror as kids, who had never played the game, faced up to the rest of us, who had been wielding camans since we were toddlers was definitely child abuse.
Same in South Africa. Everyone had to try rugby, until you proved you were shithouse/chickenshit enough & were allowed to play squash or join the marching band.
Raggs

We're just counting down to the Alyson Pollock article now aren't we? It's a yearly thing. Or was this her, just under the guise of something else?
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: ↑Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:50 am

It does rather put other sports in the ha'penny place when it comes to the shear damage 9-10 year olds can do to each other :grin:

Before I left primary school, I'd had my first concussion @10, fractured a friends skull @11, & seen another friend have his face sliced open from the top of his nose to his lip, & got hit in the bollocks on a cold day with a sliotar :crazy:

This was shortly before they made helmets mandatory, & banned using metal bands on hurls.

Even with all the pain & suffering, I think 99% of boys & girls would still play it, it's just understandable that parents would prefer to make it safer.
petej

After being forced to do gymnastics and horse riding being allowed to play rugby and football was a massive relief. Rugby also got me out of church/Sunday school.