laurent

If there was one frenchman to remember

Robert Badinter has passed away.

He was the one to get rid of the death penalty

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/art ... ce=default

In french but what a great man.
Tichtheid

An interesting obituary, thanks.

I must admit, I hadn't heard of him before now.
Tichtheid

laurent wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:02 am If there was one frenchman to remember

I asked a French person on another rugby board what his thoughts were on Badinter and he said this (used with his permission)

Badinter was a brilliant man and the force behind the end of the death penalty here.One of the first, if not the first mesure taken by Mitterrand when elected in 1981.

Short anecdote: no one could call the result, it was so close (he ended up winning by less than 51%) and yet, a week before the election, although he knew the majority was overwvhelmingly in favor of the death penalty, Mitterand proclaimed he would immediately end it if elected. That’s the difference between a statesman and a politician.
laurent

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:06 pm
laurent wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:02 am If there was one frenchman to remember

I asked a French person on another rugby board what his thoughts were on Badinter and he said this (used with his permission)

Badinter was a brilliant man and the force behind the end of the death penalty here.One of the first, if not the first mesure taken by Mitterrand when elected in 1981.

Short anecdote: no one could call the result, it was so close (he ended up winning by less than 51%) and yet, a week before the election, although he knew the majority was overwvhelmingly in favor of the death penalty, Mitterand proclaimed he would immediately end it if elected. That’s the difference between a statesman and a politician.
We are in a very different world now sadly.
boere wors

The last execution by the guillotine was only in 1979. I would have thought it was abandoned earlier.
Uncle fester

And in a lot of respects, it was more humane than some of the stuff happening in the US. That experimental nitrogen asphyxiation execution recently was a catastrophe.
laurent

boere wors wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:33 am The last execution by the guillotine was only in 1979. I would have thought it was abandoned earlier.
Abolished in 1981.

France is very conservative at heart despite its image as a forward thinking country.