Choose a coach and captain

Where goats go to escape
Punter15

As a player, who do you wish was your coach and captain?

Was lucky enough to be coached by Geech but would still pick Farrell. I think I would have run off a cliff for Jonno.
Hugo

All time?

The Deano/Johnno combo at Leicester takes some beating.

Those Tigers teams walked through walls for both of them and its reflected in the silverware.
Marylandolorian

Olivier Magne .
Tichtheid

Punter15 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:59 pm I think I would have run off a cliff for Jonno.

Yeah, he is a big favourite of mine as a captain, I think Paul O'Connell is similar, but then "Nobody" was not a blood and thunder type, but he was very successful. McCaw of course was the same and no one could argue against his record, though he was painting with a better palette than almost any other team has. I've always thought that since Mandela, the Springbok captain has had the most difficult job in sport, and the like of Pienaar, Smit, Kolisi etc have been amazing.

Coach? Cliff Morgan?
Sandstorm

It’s not Divvy and Victor Matfield.
Kiwias

Fred 'The Needle' Allen as coach, with either Lochore or Mourie as captain.
Guy Smiley

McCaw is my captain... the ABs were closer to vulnerable when he wasn't on the field, he never engaged theatrics, played with hidden injuries and always led from the front letting actions speak louder. Post career, he's got on with his life without seeking attention including as a volunteer chopper pilot fighting fires... just a good bloke who could really play the game and didn't go looking for ego gratification that could so easily have come his way.

I'll go with Razor for a coach, as yet untried at test level but he's shown he can develop both individual players and a strong, healthy culture for his teams and he does that from somewhere well outside the establishment box. I like that.
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:16 am McCaw is my captain... the ABs were closer to vulnerable when he wasn't on the field, he never engaged theatrics, played with hidden injuries and always led from the front letting actions speak louder. Post career, he's got on with his life without seeking attention including as a volunteer chopper pilot fighting fires... just a good bloke who could really play the game and didn't go looking for ego gratification that could so easily have come his way.

I'll go with Razor for a coach, as yet untried at test level but he's shown he can develop both individual players and a strong, healthy culture for his teams and he does that from somewhere well outside the establishment box. I like that.
Razor and Richie would be my picks for the pro era.
Hugo

Guy Smiley wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:16 am McCaw is my captain... the ABs were closer to vulnerable when he wasn't on the field, he never engaged theatrics, played with hidden injuries and always led from the front letting actions speak louder. Post career, he's got on with his life without seeking attention including as a volunteer chopper pilot fighting fires... just a good bloke who could really play the game and didn't go looking for ego gratification that could so easily have come his way.
Great summary of Richies character. From the outside looking in you see very few flaws with this man - an all round, down to earth good egg.
Punter15

Hugo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:33 pm
Great summary of Richies character. From the outside looking in you see very few flaws with this man - an all round, down to earth good egg.
Yep. With Jonno I’d be worried about making him angry, with Ritchie I’d be worried about disappointing him.
Kiwias

Punter15 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:27 pm
Hugo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:33 pm
Yep. With Jonno I’d be worried about making him angry, with Ritchie I’d be worried about disappointing him.
Fear of disappointing the skipper was a comment I read by Andy Haden regarding Mourie.