The Classical Music Thread

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

GogLais wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:49 pm I was trying to get into slightly less accessible stuff, for want of a better word and discovered Beethoven's Quartet Opus 127. Quite something.
Beethoven's late quartets are stunning. The pinnacle of his composing in my mind and probably the finest string quartets ever written (with the possible exception of Shostakovich quartet no8)

This from Beethoven op130 is one of the pieces on the voyager spacecraft. Sit in the garden watching the sun set with a glass of red wine listening to this. Paradise.

And after you've dozed off in the dusk listening to that, wake up with Shostakovich 8. The Allegro Molto five minutes in is astonishing. Hard to believe its only four instruments, mainly due to the cello absolutely shredding it.

Last edited by Biffer on Fri May 28, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Biffer

Slick wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:41 pm
Slick wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 pm I've been listening to a huge amount of classical since this thread was started, thank you.

This from Biffer got me started really

I must listen to this a couple of times a day on average now, just stunning.

The Shostakovich Violin Concerto No1, Nicola Benedetti is one of my most-played albums of the last 12 months or so.
Yes! Parts of that now have a daily playing also.
Shostakovich, for me, is up there with Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.
Biffer

A little treat that came out of lockdown, Nicola Benedetti and Andrew Staples, Richard Strauss’ Morgen

Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:32 pm A little treat that came out of lockdown, Nicola Benedetti and Andrew Staples, Richard Strauss’ Morgen

It’s beautiful, isn’t it?

It’s particularly poignant given it was recorded as a gift for their friend who has been so ill, but it also seems to be apposite as we, hopefully, emerge from this terrible pandemic.
Slick

Pavarotti In The Park on BBC 2 at the moment is stunning
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Lobby

Slick wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:22 pm Pavarotti In The Park on BBC 2 at the moment is stunning
I was there on the day. There had been about two weeks of non-stop sunshine before, but it absolutely chucked down that day. Still a great concert, and really enjoyable to see it again.
BnM

Quite liked this, caught it in the car and I'm not a baroque fan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zl2y
Slick

Tichtheid, found myself watching the Romesh Ranganathan Christmas special last night which was about the Western Isles - never watched before but this one was actually a really good programme.

Anyway, he met a band called Peat & Diesel who are apparently the rock starts of folk music in the region. Been listening this morning and it's great. Wondered if you had come across them?
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:29 am Tichtheid, found myself watching the Romesh Ranganathan Christmas special last night which was about the Western Isles - never watched before but this one was actually a really good programme.

Anyway, he met a band called Peat & Diesel who are apparently the rock starts of folk music in the region. Been listening this morning and it's great. Wondered if you had come across them?

They are great fun. I once upset a couple of people on a Facebook group when I posted a song of theirs a couple of years ago because they aren't trad enough and "off topic" and all sorts of nonsense.
The funny thing was that the pro trad musicians on the group loved them.
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:49 am
Slick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:29 am Tichtheid, found myself watching the Romesh Ranganathan Christmas special last night which was about the Western Isles - never watched before but this one was actually a really good programme.

They are great fun. I once upset a couple of people on a Facebook group when I posted a song of theirs a couple of years ago because they aren't trad enough and "off topic" and all sorts of nonsense.
The funny thing was that the pro trad musicians on the group loved them.
Yes, fantastic lyrics. I love the fact there is this alternative culture where these guys are ridiculously famous in a small corner of the world.
TheFrog

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:27 pm Right, dipping my toes in with my first topic start here.

I'm a complete newby when it comes to classical music, I recognise lots of pieces but can't name them, just like many people I guess.

However, I'm trying to remedy that and I came across this, a solo violin piece and I was blown away by the performance. I've since listened to lots of Hillary Hahn's music and watched her concerts online, she is terrific.

I find it a bit intimidating that there is several hundreds of years of music to catch up on in the classical or "Western Art" music genre, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

I have seen her at the Kennedy Center in Washington this autumn. She is an amazing artist :thumbup:

She played the Brahms violin concerto.
TheFrog

Biffer wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:35 pm
GogLais wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:49 pm I was trying to get into slightly less accessible stuff, for want of a better word and discovered Beethoven's Quartet Opus 127. Quite something.
Beethoven's late quartets are stunning. The pinnacle of his composing in my mind and probably the finest string quartets ever written (with the possible exception of Shostakovich quartet no8)

This from Beethoven op130 is one of the pieces on the voyager spacecraft. Sit in the garden watching the sun set with a glass of red wine listening to this. Paradise.

And after you've dozed off in the dusk listening to that, wake up with Shostakovich 8. The Allegro Molto five minutes in is astonishing. Hard to believe its only four instruments, mainly due to the cello absolutely shredding it.

We're celebrating Beethoven's 250th birthday this year. Plenty of opportunities to listen to his music live :thumbup:

I love his piano concerto nber 5 ("Emperor"), and then you must of course listen to his famous 9th symphony. While the last movement is world famous, even to people who know nothing about classical music, it is meaningless outside the other movements who are powerful and lead to a nice build up to the glorious Ode to Joy conclusion.
Biffer

TheFrog wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Biffer wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:35 pm

We're celebrating Beethoven's 250th birthday this year. Plenty of opportunities to listen to his music live :thumbup:

I love his piano concerto nber 5 ("Emperor"), and then you must of course listen to his famous 9th symphony. While the last movement is world famous, even to people who know nothing about classical music, it is meaningless outside the other movements who are powerful and lead to a nice build up to the glorious Ode to Joy conclusion.
I know the 9th backwards, I've sung it more times than I like to think about! I'm not that into larger scale music from the 19th century, prefer the chamber music. For symphonies, large orchestral and choral work, I prefer 1600s, 1700s and 20th century.
Tichtheid

Torquemada 1420

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Saint wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:05 pm If you're really starting from nowhere with "classical" music - which for the terms of this thread I would guess you really mean "orchestral and chamber music pre 20th century" then some starting points would be the Brandenburg Concertos, the Four Seasons, any Mozart opera (but if you narrowed it down, the Marriage of Figaro, and The Magic Flute), Tristan and Isolde, Carmen, and the Rite of Spring. As a starting point. Work out what you like or dislike from there and the move into expanding your horizons from there. Even then I'm covering 400+ years in an incredibly broad brushstroke, but it gives a starting point to move on. In reality, there's an incredibly broad array of music styles and philosophies, especially post 17th century that it would take a lifetime to fully understand

Yes, that is why I find it intimidating.

I do know and love Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, I know a little of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, Schubert songs and Chopin preludes. I know the "big famous stuff" like Four season and The Planets

I recently fell in love with Nicola Benedetti's Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No.1, there is a passage in the second movement (is it that?) that tears your heart out
There is the additional layer of complexity in that the artist is the composer and not the performer. Hence you might find a piece you really like and then struggle to find that performance in a recording. There's orchestras and then there's orchestras.
Lobby

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:06 am
The BBC Proms season, which has just been announced, includes a performance from the recently formed Ukrainian Freedom Orchestra on 31 July.

”The newly formed Ukrainian Freedom Orchestra, made up of Ukrainian musicians – some from Ukraine’s major cities, some now displaced as refugees, and others who play in European orchestras – is a special late addition to this year’s Proms. Under Canadian-Ukrainian conductor Keri-Lynn Wilson the orchestra is a symbol of the remarkable resolve and determination shown by the people of Ukraine during the dark months of conflict – but also a beacon of hope for peace. They celebrate Ukraine’s leading living composer, Valentin Silvestrov, who escaped Kyiv with his daughter and granddaughter in March. ‘It is now clear how little we appreciate the times when peace reigns,’ he has since said, ‘and how fragile civilisation is.’ His deeply reflective Symphony No. 7 from 2003 complements Chopin’s ravishing Piano Concerto No. 2. And, after music from Beethoven’s great ‘rescue’ opera, Fidelio, with its themes of false imprisonment and hard-won freedom, Brahms’s final symphony offers tragic turbulence soothed by moments of defiant joy.”

The soloists, Anna Fedorova (piano), and Liudmyla Monastyrska (soprano), are also Ukrainian.
Tichtheid

Lobby wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:14 pm

The BBC Proms season, which has just been announced, includes a performance from the recently formed Ukrainian Freedom Orchestra on 31 July.

”The newly formed Ukrainian Freedom Orchestra, made up of Ukrainian musicians – some from Ukraine’s major cities, some now displaced as refugees, and others who play in European orchestras – is a special late addition to this year’s Proms. Under Canadian-Ukrainian conductor Keri-Lynn Wilson the orchestra is a symbol of the remarkable resolve and determination shown by the people of Ukraine during the dark months of conflict – but also a beacon of hope for peace. They celebrate Ukraine’s leading living composer, Valentin Silvestrov, who escaped Kyiv with his daughter and granddaughter in March. ‘It is now clear how little we appreciate the times when peace reigns,’ he has since said, ‘and how fragile civilisation is.’ His deeply reflective Symphony No. 7 from 2003 complements Chopin’s ravishing Piano Concerto No. 2. And, after music from Beethoven’s great ‘rescue’ opera, Fidelio, with its themes of false imprisonment and hard-won freedom, Brahms’s final symphony offers tragic turbulence soothed by moments of defiant joy.”

The soloists, Anna Fedorova (piano), and Liudmyla Monastyrska (soprano), are also Ukrainian.

I'll look out for that, cheers :thumbup:
Lobby

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:48 pm
Lobby wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:14 pm

I'll look out for that, cheers :thumbup:
I’ve just seen they will also be giving a free concert at the Usher Hall as part of the Edinburgh Festival on Saturday 6 August 2022 at 2pm.
Uncle fester

Never gets old.
Slick

Just back from the Scottish National Opera’s Don Giovanni in Edinburgh.

Really good performance and the staging was excellent. I think it’s quite a difficult one to pull off as it doesn’t have the really famous arias but kept me interested throughout.

One thing that was noticeable was difference in the power of the singers voices compared to the top folk. Don’t really know what I’m talking about but it just seemed the main difference
lemonhead

Uncle fester wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:42 pm Never gets old.
I'd not noticed Crowley's reaction before :lol:

Stoic to the last.
TheFrog

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:27 pm Right, dipping my toes in with my first topic start here.

I'm a complete newby when it comes to classical music, I recognise lots of pieces but can't name them, just like many people I guess.

However, I'm trying to remedy that and I came across this, a solo violin piece and I was blown away by the performance. I've since listened to lots of Hillary Hahn's music and watched her concerts online, she is terrific.

I find it a bit intimidating that there is several hundreds of years of music to catch up on in the classical or "Western Art" music genre, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

I have been privileged to see her play the Brahms violin concerto at the Kennedy Center
Monk

Last edited by Monk on Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monk

[media] [/media]
Tichtheid

I've just watched this twice in a row.

Fonz

So for reasons I won't bother going into, I've been seriously getting into classical recently. Mostly just the big names for the moment, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner (if that counts), etc. I used to listen to the classical station by my bedside in the (then) late hours of the night as a child, around the time my grade school created a band program (for which I foolishly chose saxophone; never did really get into jazz). Apart from that, I suppose I mostly have Looney Tunes to thank for putting me onto the stuff.

Anywho, just bought tickets to see the Boston Philharmonic play Beethoven's 9th next February 24th. Super stoked. Will be my first symphony.

Mozart's 25th is a favorite too -- love the activity and liveliness:

Shamelessly stolen from Bugs Bunny -- some SUBLIME moments in this one...I love the fella in the center of the screen smiling from sheer joy when the main theme kicks in at 2:00:

I won't post the whole 4 hour opera but I'm finally coming around to the vocals in opera...not unlike my journey with death metal :lol: ...first you can't stand it, then it's okay, then you can't imagine the music without it! Shame that the opening of Die Walkure isn't as famous as *other parts* of the opera...brilliant stuff IMO:

robmatic

Fonz wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:16 am
I won't post the whole 4 hour opera but I'm finally coming around to the vocals in opera...not unlike my journey with death metal :lol: ...first you can't stand it, then it's okay, then you can't imagine the music without it!
I couldn't stand opera when I was younger, thought it was impenetrable and pretentious bollocks. Then a few years ago, I got free tickets to see a live performance of Andrea Chenier at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Was fairly unimpressed. Bunch of people making a racket in a language I don't understand etc.

I have, however, since learned that I can really get into an opera if I can distinguish and understand the lyrics. So, I buy the CDs that have dual language librettos with them and I can spend a pleasurable few hours listening and reading to one.
Fonz

robmatic wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:49 am
Fonz wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:16 am
I won't post the whole 4 hour opera but I'm finally coming around to the vocals in opera...not unlike my journey with death metal :lol: ...first you can't stand it, then it's okay, then you can't imagine the music without it!
I couldn't stand opera when I was younger, thought it was impenetrable and pretentious bollocks. Then a few years ago, I got free tickets to see a live performance of Andrea Chenier at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Was fairly unimpressed. Bunch of people making a racket in a language I don't understand etc.

I have, however, since learned that I can really get into an opera if I can distinguish and understand the lyrics. So, I buy the CDs that have dual language librettos with them and I can spend a pleasurable few hours listening and reading to one.
That's interesting, I'll try that.

Though I've never really been into lyrics in any music at all tbh, I can probably name on one hand the songs that touched me lyrically. (For this reason I never really "got" Bob Dylan and similar)

I have just come around to really admiring the *power* of some of the voices. This guy (apparently a big name) James Morris really blows me away -- of course the music helps set it up wonderfully too, it all goes hand in hand:

I think opera provides a great platform for great voices to show off, yet in context.
Gumboot

Someone recommended an orchestral piece years ago that I looked up on YouTube and really liked, but then somehow completely lost track of. Can't even remember the name of it...mostly upbeat and lively, and I think it's got the name of a bird or animal in the title. Vague description to say the least, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. Would love to hear it again.
Tichtheid

Gumboot wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:15 am Someone recommended an orchestral piece years ago that I looked up on YouTube and really liked, but then somehow completely lost track of. Can't even remember the name of it...mostly upbeat and lively, and I think it's got the name of a bird or animal in the title. Vague description to say the least, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. Would love to hear it again.
First guess

Biffer

I may have mentioned before, but Handel is fucking amazing

That’s from Israel in Egypt, which I’m singing in November, great fun singing through the seven plagues of Egypt.
Biffer

Just checked and I haven’t flooded this place with Handel yet, so here’s some more

With darkness deep as is my woe, from Theodora.

This is sung as Theodora is in prison, sentenced to be raped to death by the guards at dawn, where she begs the darkness to bring her death before the sun rises.

Thou didst blow, from Israel in Egypt again, a lovely song, beautiful and lyrical until you listen to the actual words where she’s celebrating God drowning the Egyptians in the Red Sea

Biffer

And at the other end of the spectrum let’s have some whacked out 70s minimalism. This is from Philip Glass’ Einstein on the Beach, a five hour opera with no plot and no intervals.

Slick

@tichtheid,

We were at the Crieff Highland Gathering yesterday, great day out. Anyway, they had a folk/trad music stage and we saw Manran and Gnoss. Both were brilliant, really getting quite into this!
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:16 am @tichtheid,

We were at the Crieff Highland Gathering yesterday, great day out. Anyway, they had a folk/trad music stage and we saw Manran and Gnoss. Both were brilliant, really getting quite into this!
Great stuff.

The box player in Manran is Gary Innes, he presents Take the Floor on Radio Scotland - country dance music, which is a bit hardcore to listen to even for me.

He was also a very successful shinty player
Gumboot

Gumboot wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:15 am Someone recommended an orchestral piece years ago that I looked up on YouTube and really liked, but then somehow completely lost track of. Can't even remember the name of it...mostly upbeat and lively, and I think it's got the name of a bird or animal in the title. Vague description to say the least, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. Would love to hear it again.
Found it...

I don't pretend to know much about classical music, but for some reason this hooked me.
Tichtheid

I've had this melody running around my head for the last month and a half, not this particular version, but still