6 Nations round 5 - Wales v Italy

Where goats go to escape
Raggs

That's completely wrong... Spoon is still Wales by a long way...
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
PCPhil

Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:09 pm
PCPhil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:08 pm Lol. Italy fish last.
No they don’t
Ah, my error, like the commentators
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
sturginho

Well that was an anticlimax
sockwithaticket

That scoreline massively flatters Wales.

2 wins and a draw. Best Italian 6N haul of all time?
sefton

Jiffy chatting absolute shite. :lol:
sturginho

PCPhil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm
Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:09 pm
PCPhil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:08 pm Lol. Italy fish last.
No they don’t
Ah, my error, like the commentators
Bonus points are stupid
sturginho

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm That scoreline massively flatters Wales.

2 wins and a draw. Best Italian 6N haul of all time?
Yes
ASMO

FORZA ITALIA well done boys......already on the Limoncello..
Raggs

Italy 5? Points from 4 wins... Should have got three with the France game, England game was perhaps simply close rather than a missed win (if you know what I mean).
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
el capitan

Scoreline not really a reflection of the game. Italy performance patchy, but comfortable. Wales totally cack and you have to wonder if Gatland sticks around.
el capitan

Look at that table :lol:
ASMO

Wifey also promised me a blowjob if Italy won!!
sockwithaticket

el capitan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:12 pm Scoreline not really a reflection of the game. Italy performance patchy, but comfortable. Wales totally cack and you have to wonder if Gatland sticks around.
Where else would he go? His tenure with the Chiefs was rubbish, Wales was a bit of a life line for him.

Equally, who would come in? You'd have to be very confident in your ability as a coach to think about turning this Welsh side around.
sturginho

Mishelly ???
el capitan

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:15 pm
el capitan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:12 pm Scoreline not really a reflection of the game. Italy performance patchy, but comfortable. Wales totally cack and you have to wonder if Gatland sticks around.
Where else would he go? His tenure with the Chiefs was rubbish, Wales was a bit of a life line for him.

Equally, who would come in? You'd have to be very confident in your ability as a coach to think about turning this Welsh side around.
Maybe just go home? Fair or not, defeat after defeat will only take more shine off his first tenure. Out of all these players they're having to throw in and try to rebuild something, I mean what three or four of them maybe look like you could do anything with them at test level? I haven't bothered to look what sort of deal he's on and how much it is filling up his pension pot, but you couldn't blame him if he said fuck this. I'm sure he has said already numerous times that if he knew the reality of the job he wouldn't have come back to it.
Biffer

el capitan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:24 pm

Maybe just go home? Fair or not, defeat after defeat will only take more shine off his first tenure. Out of all these players they're having to throw in and try to rebuild something, I mean what three or four of them maybe look like you could do anything with them at test level? I haven't bothered to look what sort of deal he's on and how much it is filling up his pension pot, but you couldn't blame him if he said fuck this. I'm sure he has said already numerous times that if he knew the reality of the job he wouldn't have come back to it.
I really loathe Gatland, so another season and two wooden spoons in a row would be my vote.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Uncle fester

Well done Italy.
My how Wales have fallen.
C69

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm Well done Italy.
My how Wales have fallen.
It was was expected after the retirements the injuries and the exodus abroad. As well as the WRU debarkle.
More of a push than a fall
Some of Gats selections have been bizarre to say the least
Waboso wanted to play for Wales but was told he had to go back to Wales. The 25 cap rule will be scrapped.
sockwithaticket

el capitan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:24 pm

I think that's Gatland managing the media a bit, if anyone should've known the size of the task it's him. Nothing that's happened to Welsh rugby the last few years is a surprise, the underlying issues were there during his first spell and unresolved by the time he left.

If he's ready for retirement, by all means ride off into the sunset. Looks like it's going to be a grim few years. People at the top of elite sport don't tend to think like the rest of us, though.
fishfoodie

Head coach Warren Gatland says he offered his resignation to Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Abi Tierney after leading Wales to their first Wooden Spoon in 21 years.

The 24-21 home defeat by Italy completed a Six Nations clean sweep of defeats for the first time since 2003.

Gatland returned to Wales in 2022.

Asked whether he wanted to guide Wales through to the 2027 World Cup, Gatland replied: "Yes, absolutely. I've made that commitment."

Gatland added: "I just said to Abi [Tierney] in the changing room if you want me to resign, I'm quite happy to do that.

"She said, 'Like hell, that's the last thing I want, that's what I'm really afraid of'.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/68585149
C69

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:04 pm
Head coach Warren Gatland says he offered his resignation to Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Abi Tierney after leading Wales to their first Wooden Spoon in 21 years.

The 24-21 home defeat by Italy completed a Six Nations clean sweep of defeats for the first time since 2003.

Gatland returned to Wales in 2022.

Asked whether he wanted to guide Wales through to the 2027 World Cup, Gatland replied: "Yes, absolutely. I've made that commitment."

Gatland added: "I just said to Abi [Tierney] in the changing room if you want me to resign, I'm quite happy to do that.

"She said, 'Like hell, that's the last thing I want, that's what I'm really afraid of'.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/68585149
booooo
Gumboot

If you want another Kiwi coach, there's one who recently guided the ABs to the RWC Final. :twisted:
petej

I don't think anyone else will do better than Gatland. The regions are crap with awful attendances with usually crap coaches. Going to take a concerted long term effort from the WRU to turn it around.
C69 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:01 pm
Waboso wanted to play for Wales but was told he had to go back to Wales. The 25 cap rule will be scrapped.
You either have a rule or you don't as it is not like reffell has been made to return. That feyi-waboso ended up at at Wasps then Exeter shows piss poor organisation from the WRU and Regions.
fishfoodie

petej wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:17 pm I don't think anyone else will do better than Gatland. The regions are crap with awful attendances with usually crap coaches. Going to take a concerted long term effort from the WRU to turn it around.
In other words the WRU fucked up by spunking away too much money on an International coach, rather than trying to fix the regions first, which I agree with, but the regions aren't really fixable with the current hierarchy of the WRU, so they are where they are as they say !
C69

petej wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:17 pm I don't think anyone else will do better than Gatland. The regions are crap with awful attendances with usually crap coaches. Going to take a concerted long term effort from the WRU to turn it around.
C69 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:01 pm
You either have a rule or you don't as it is not like reffell has been made to return. That feyi-waboso ended up at at Wasps then Exeter shows piss poor organisation from the WRU and Regions.
Piss poor organisation would be a step up.
Some of Gats selections have been crazy btw
Jim Lahey

I havent seen too much of Wales this tournament but today they were a shambles.

Where are the rays of hope coming from in the next generation Welsh fans? The 6N is much better with a strong Wales.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
C69

Jim Lahey wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:05 am I havent seen too much of Wales this tournament but today they were a shambles.

Where are the rays of hope coming from in the next generation Welsh fans? The 6N is much better with a strong Wales.
Well we do have our RWC captains to come back Morgan and Lake as well as Anscombe and Plumtree and Faletau and Christ and a few players from France, Japan and England will hopefully be available for the Oz Tour.
Jarrod Evans and Callum Sheedy are injured as is Jonny Williams and hopefully Regan Smith will soon replace Adams.
Some players should never play for Wales again
Costello Adams Tompkins Mann and Beard and a few of the useless props.
The front row is the biggest issue and Gats inexplicably not picking Will Rollands and playing some truly terrible players who are semi pro level at best.
That and no coherent playing style at all.
SaintK

C69 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:51 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:05 am I havent seen too much of Wales this tournament but today they were a shambles.

Well we do have our RWC captains to come back Morgan and Lake as well as Anscombe and Plumtree and Faletau and Christ and a few players from France, Japan and England will hopefully be available for the Oz Tour.
Jarrod Evans and Callum Sheedy are injured as is Jonny Williams and hopefully Regan Smith will soon replace Adams.
Some players should never play for Wales again
Costello Adams Tompkins Mann and Beard and a few of the useless props.
The front row is the biggest issue and Gats inexplicably not picking Will Rollands and playing some truly terrible players who are semi pro level at best.
That and no coherent playing style at all.
Aren't Anscombe and Faletau both 35ish? Not really the future.
Anscombe has just signed a 12 month contract with Gloucester, does he have sufficient caps to qualify to play from outside Wales?
sockwithaticket

Really in trouble if perma-crock Anscombe, Sheedy and J.Williams are seen as the cavalry.
sturginho

Sky Italia reporting some very good TV numbers, plus a lot of news coverage. Small but important steps!
C69

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:53 am Really in trouble if perma-crock Anscombe, Sheedy and J.Williams are seen as the cavalry.
When Costello is the alternative there is no competition.
petej

sturginho wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:59 pm Sky Italia reporting some very good TV numbers, plus a lot of news coverage. Small but important steps!
That is good news. If you put together several years with wins in that should grow.
sturginho

Michele "Mishelly" Lamaro has set a new record of 103 tackles made in a Six Nations, beating Johnny Gray's previous record of 100
Dinsdale Piranha

sturginho wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:59 pm Sky Italia reporting some very good TV numbers, plus a lot of news coverage. Small but important steps!
I was in Rome a few weeks back on a non rugby weekend. A couple of bars in the centre - one Irish, one Italian - said they were expecting good attendance. I could definitely see myself making a trip to Rome for a game. Lord knows I'm not going to Twickenham.
inactionman

Warburton with a few thoughts on Welsh rugby
"I just think you've got to invest more in the pro game and then the interest will naturally come," said Warburton...........

"A lot of people won't like this but I just think it's true," he told the BBC's Rugby Union Daily podcast.

"It's the easy thing to say - they just moan about the fact there's grassroots clubs who can't put kids out and can't make teams - 'oh the WRU need to invest more in grassroots'. I completely disagree.

"Let's go Premier League football, if you look at them as businesses. If you said to Arsenal, where is the majority of your budget spent, it's on the first team. If you actually looked at their income it's on the first team. And yes of course you do community, of course you support grassroots.

"Everyone back home just goes 'oh we need more grassroots, we need to increase the pyramid'. No, you increase the pyramid by having something aspirational like kids want to chase.

"Having a successful national team, having successful regions, will generate much more interest in the game. So you need to invest money into your national team, into your regions."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68594896
SaintK

inactionman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:20 am Warburton with a few thoughts on Welsh rugby
"I just think you've got to invest more in the pro game and then the interest will naturally come," said Warburton...........

"A lot of people won't like this but I just think it's true," he told the BBC's Rugby Union Daily podcast.

"It's the easy thing to say - they just moan about the fact there's grassroots clubs who can't put kids out and can't make teams - 'oh the WRU need to invest more in grassroots'. I completely disagree.

"Let's go Premier League football, if you look at them as businesses. If you said to Arsenal, where is the majority of your budget spent, it's on the first team. If you actually looked at their income it's on the first team. And yes of course you do community, of course you support grassroots.

"Everyone back home just goes 'oh we need more grassroots, we need to increase the pyramid'. No, you increase the pyramid by having something aspirational like kids want to chase.

"Having a successful national team, having successful regions, will generate much more interest in the game. So you need to invest money into your national team, into your regions."
Where's the money coming from?
I trhought Welsh rugby and the regions were skint?
Tichtheid

SaintK wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:51 am
inactionman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:20 am Warburton with a few thoughts on Welsh rugby

I imagine the Welsh money comes from the same place as the SRU's money comes from - international rugby and the URC tv deals, but especially the internationals, which is why they usually put on an extra match during the Autumn.

We have the same problem in Scotland with the clubs trying to wrestle power and money from the professional game, totally blind to the fact that without the pro game the whole sport in Scotland would be dead beyond the private schools and their FP teams.
Uncle fester

They have broadly the same earnings as the IRFU but they chose to spend it on beer money for amateur clubs, instead of resourcing the pro game properly.
inactionman

I took Warburton's comments as meaning he'd re-balance the current budget to prioritise the pro game.

I can see where he's coming from, but it's still hard to stomach that amateur clubs with 100+ year histories might go to the wall if this approach is followed. Hobson's choice.
C69

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 am

I imagine the Welsh money comes from the same place as the SRU's money comes from - international rugby and the URC tv deals, but especially the internationals, which is why they usually put on an extra match during the Autumn.

We have the same problem in Scotland with the clubs trying to wrestle power and money from the professional game, totally blind to the fact that without the pro game the whole sport in Scotland would be dead beyond the private schools and their FP teams.
The problem is from the get go the regions were an abortion. Nobody supports these made up clubs and it's not changing anytime soon.
Utter madness