The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
charltom

Meant to post this here not in the match thread...

Having seen Ireland's second try over and over again now, I am fuming. More and more, it seems like Scotland are being held to a different standard than the other teams.

How is that try awarded? There's blocking, there's holding a potential tackler back, there are three Scots seemingly under the ball, and there's an immediate try decision by Carley.

It is so much less of a sure try than Scotland's against France, which we all know should have been given.

Now I read that Scotland have had only 27 penalties awarded in their favour all championship, but 57 against. They have had periods when all the pens have gone against them. Yet they haven't been obviously dirtier than the opposition, who have often been allowed to get away with everything (eg Wales late in that match) or have been coached by the ref.

What is the issue? Is it the way the captain speaks to the referee? Probably not as JR isn't skipper anymore. Is it the way the coaches engage (or not) with referees pre-match? Is it a failure, somehow, to respond to the way refs are whistling the match? Or is there something more sinister at play?

Carley yesterday gave three knock-ons when the ball had been dropped backwards. Dickson tried at one point to get him to see something different yesterday, as he had done last week. Perhaps Dickson is the only ref who can see Scotland have been dicked all over all tournament.

For me, Scotland have at least 4 wins from this 6N, so I'm not disheartened, but nor do I get to show joy. Perhaps these actual (2 wins) results will get the team doing everything they can to be strong enough for the officials not to be able to deny them next year.

But do they *really* only do two training sessions a week during the 6N as GT said before game 4? That surprised me.
Yr Alban

The stat about penalties won and conceded is truly bizarre. 27 for, 57 against. How does that happen, when all but one of our games was less-than-a-score close and we weren’t noticeably dirtier than anyone else?

The series of penalties awarded to Wales in that game beggared belief in itself, but it seems it was a theme over the whole championship. (For all that we’ve moaned about our discipline before, last year we conceded one penalty more than we were awarded).
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Yr Alban

What is so frustrating is that Scotland have addressed all of the issues that were losing us games. We’ve sorted the attack. We’ve sorted the defence. We’ve sorted the scrum, the lineouts, even the bloody restarts were better this year. Admittedly not all of these things have stayed fixed, but at least we addressed them. You could say that yesterday even showed signs that we have figured out a way to cope with Ireland (given that they weren’t out of sight by 50 minutes in). The remaining problems are a flaky mentality and poor decision making at key moments (plus too many penalties this year) and I’m not sure what we even can do about either of them. I’m sure they have employed psychologists to address the former, and whether the latter can be coached out of players is a tough question.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
charltom

There is one more thing they haven't addressed: how to gain the favour of the refereeing group.
Big D

I think we've become very stale.

We have that one wee loop off 12 variation in attack but our attack hasn't evolved and too often we still rely on Duhan doing something special to win games. And we scored the second fewest tries in the 6N.

When was the last time we tried anything clever with the forwards? A clever line out move, or variation from a tap penalty etc?

There really does need to be a freshening up from the coaches IMO. Whether that is game plan, a change in assistant coaches or GT himself I’m not sure.
Last edited by Big D on Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

On the penalties it certainly looks odd. I would guess losing the possession and territory stats probably means we've given away a few more defensive penalties than anyone.
Biffer

Big D wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 pm On the penalties it certainly looks odd. I would guess losing the possession and territory stats probably means we've given away a few more defensive penalties than anyone.
A few fair enough. That level of disparity is very, very strange though.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Big D

Biffer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:27 pm
Big D wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 pm On the penalties it certainly looks odd. I would guess losing the possession and territory stats probably means we've given away a few more defensive penalties than anyone.
A few fair enough. That level of disparity is very, very strange though.
It is. The -12 differntial from the Wales game makes it look worse too.

But I also wonder whether the coaches have been getting refs in during the week. England have refs dropping in and out, SA and France have ex refs on their staff etc. In 2020 France gave away 50odd penalties and a player carded every game and immediately got Garces involved at training sessions. His remit is now also matchday liaision and Intel on the refs.

Other teams have taken steps to professionalise how they deal with refs. Have Scotland?

By all means ask questions but the SRU/coaches need to make sure we are doing everything to control what we can control and I'm not sure they are.
Jock42

Big D wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:24 pm

We have that one wee loop off 12 variation in attack but our attack hasn't evolved and too often we still rely on Duhan doing something special to win games. Amd we scored the second fewest tries in the 6N.
I'm burnt out with VDM running across the face of the opposition and not even thinking about thinking about a pass.
When was the last time we tried anything clever with the forwards? A clever line out move, or variation from a tap penalty etc?
Are you suggesting a long lineout on your own 5m line isn't clever???
Blackmac

Jock42 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:35 pm

We have that one wee loop off 12 variation in attack but our attack hasn't evolved and too often we still rely on Duhan doing something special to win games. Amd we scored the second fewest tries in the 6N.
I'm burnt out with VDM running across the face of the opposition and not even thinking about thinking about a pass.
😂😂
charltom

Of course it is if it's Turner because his previous poor throws on similar positions should give it the element of surprise! Oops.
Jock42

charltom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:59 pm

Of course it is if it's Turner because his previous poor throws on similar positions should give it the element of surprise! Oops.
83b5be65cda8f01e98a8097aaeeb1847.jpg
83b5be65cda8f01e98a8097aaeeb1847.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 816 times
KingBlairhorn

charltom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:59 pm

The overthrow is so frequent at this point I can't believe we don't automatically have a back running into that space to catch it.
KingBlairhorn

So, two things to think about now that the Six Nations are over. 1, who tours this summer. 2, who might retire/be moved on from the squad prior to the next six nations.

In terms of the summer for me it is a mixture of rest for the most overworked world cup players, more caps for some of the older but less experienced squad members plus a chance to build experience for some of the younger/uncapped guys. I'd like to see Finn, Turner, Jones, Schoeman, Fagerson (Z), Duhan, Tuipolotu, Dempsey, White and Graham left behind. All are known entities and could do with the rest, plus we need some resilience behind them in the pecking order.

I would go for a squad that looks something like this (it would probably have to be trimmed a little):

Prop: Millar-Mills, Walker, Hurd, Bhatti, Sebastian, Hepburn. Travel for experience: Callum Norrie, Robbie Deans
Hookers: Matthews, Ashman, Hiddleston/Harrison
Locks: Young, Cammy Henderson, Sykes, Hodgson, Samuel, Williamson
Backrow: Bayliss, Christie, Darge (c), Boyle, Crosbie, Muncaster

Flyhalf: Thompson, Healy
Scrum half: Horne, Price, Dobie/Vellacott
Centre: McDowall, Currie, Hutchinson, Jordan
Wing: Reed, Rowe, Steyn
Fullback: Smith, Patterson

On retirees, WP Nel is surely a banker. He is 37 now and was barely used in the championship. I really hope he sticks around in Edinburgh to share some of his wisdow. Big Richie Gray at 34 will probably have had his last tournament given his injury history. Grant Gilchrist may go another year or two as he seems to be more robust. In terms of squad turnover I don't really see much tbh. We don't have any superstars coming through, nor do we have any real dross in the squad that needs cleared out.
charltom

KingBlairhorn wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 am So, two things to think about now that the Six Nations are over. 1, who tours this summer. 2, who might retire/be moved on from the squad prior to the next six nations.

In terms of the summer for me it is a mixture of rest for the most overworked world cup players, more caps for some of the older but less experienced squad members plus a chance to build experience for some of the younger/uncapped guys. I'd like to see Finn, Turner, Jones, Schoeman, Fagerson (Z), Duhan, Tuipolotu, Dempsey, White and Graham left behind. All are known entities and could do with the rest, plus we need some resilience behind them in the pecking order.

I would go for a squad that looks something like this (it would probably have to be trimmed a little):

Prop: Millar-Mills, Walker, Hurd, Bhatti, Sebastian, Hepburn. Travel for experience: Callum Norrie, Robbie Deans

On retirees, WP Nel is surely a banker. He is 37 now and was barely used in the championship. I really hope he sticks around in Edinburgh to share some of his wisdow. Big Richie Gray at 34 will probably have had his last tournament given his injury history. Grant Gilchrist may go another year or two as he seems to be more robust. In terms of squad turnover I don't really see much tbh. We don't have any superstars coming through, nor do we have any real dross in the squad that needs cleared out.
Well sure, if you want to lose some of the matches, have Scotland sink to a lower than deserved ranking, and end up with a nightmare World Cup pool again in 2027....

I mean, many of those players are good enough, and yes some do really need a rest, but I am sure GT will be mindful of the need not to underestimate the American teams too much, especially after the defeat last time out vs. USA.

Then again, we do need to develop some back-up locks, front rows etc.

It would be a good time to try a potential new captain, e.g. Crosbie or McDowall. Or Tuipulotu if he is in need of match time by then. All would be good candidates.

Sutherland could do with some time on the pitch, and potentially so could Graham, depending on how the rest of this season pans out. There's no need to see more of Steyn, though, or indeed any of those who have been playing a lot for Scotland largely because someone else is unavailable.

Matthews Ashman Harrison
Sutherland Hepburn Hurd Walker Millar-Mills McBeth
Sykes Skinner Hodgson Young Henderson Williamson
Crosbie Christie Bradbury Bayliss Boyle Muncaster
Dobie Vellacott Price or Horne
Hastings Healy Thompson/Scott
(Tuipulotu) McDowall Hutchinson Currie (Jordan - is he SQ yet?)
Rowe Reed Smith Paterson McCann

TBF my squad ends up looking not altogether dissimilar to yours. Scotland do need to develop the next guys through.

Team vs. Uruguay would have to be, though (otherwise I'd be too nervous):
Sutherland Matthews Walker Sykes Skinner Christie Crosbie Bradbury Price/Horne Hastings McDowall Hutchinson/Tuipulotu Rowe Smith Paterson
topofthemoon

Jordan won't be SQ until October. Sounds like we're getting an out of window Test plus one against Portugal so still be opportunities for more new caps at the end of the year.
Big D

KingBlairhorn wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 am So, two things to think about now that the Six Nations are over. 1, who tours this summer. 2, who might retire/be moved on from the squad prior to the next six nations.

I think the 1s have to go with some youngsters thrown in. Some of them, and maybe Townsend, will be away with the Lions in 2025 and the game plan needs work and I think it is better for the younger guys to play with the 1s. Given Christies form and performance in the 6N I am not sure Darge should be captain when 7 is arguably Christie's best position.

I'd go with:
Fagerson, Schoeman, Walker (if fit), Hurd, EMM and Hepburn
Turner, Ashman, Hiddleston/Harrison - don't see any value in taking Matthews who will be 31 mid tour.
Skinner, Sykes, Samuel, Williamson and GG - I think it'll do the younger ones good to have a senior 2nd row on tour. Henderson will miss it with injury
Bayliss, Christie, Darge, Fagerson/Dempsey, Crosbie, Muncaster
White, Warr (if he wants it), Horne
Russell, Healy
Tuipulotu, Jones, Currie, Redpath, McDowell - Other than Jones, it is a centre group with a good age profile
Graham, Reed, Paterson, Rowe, Smith, VdM, Kinghorn

20 forwards
17 backs

Probably five too many but allowing for giving younger guys experience in the environment and I would allow some to go home or join mid tour. They likely will rest some of the senior guys but there is a lot of work to be done.
Biffer

Gilchrist is 34 before the start of next season, but has fewer miles on the clock given the nearly two years he was out with injury.
robmatic

Biffer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:00 pm

Gilchrist is 34 before the start of next season, but has fewer miles on the clock given the nearly two years he was out with injury.
I thought Gilchrist played well through this Six Nations without getting much credit for it.
topofthemoon

Looking to go a bit deeper on the massive differential between penalties conceded and won by Scotland during the Six Nations:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/analy ... struggles/

- context and comparison with other years
- the opposition's iron discipline
- what do Scotland do to improve?
westport

The senior players should probably get a rest in the summer, can't see Finn going anyway as Emma is due in July.
KingBlairhorn

charltom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 am
KingBlairhorn wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 am

Matthews Ashman Harrison
Sutherland Hepburn Hurd Walker Millar-Mills McBeth
Sykes Skinner Hodgson Young Henderson Williamson
Crosbie Christie Bradbury Bayliss Boyle Muncaster
Dobie Vellacott Price or Horne
Hastings Healy Thompson/Scott
(Tuipulotu) McDowall Hutchinson Currie (Jordan - is he SQ yet?)
Rowe Reed Smith Paterson McCann

TBF my squad ends up looking not altogether dissimilar to yours. Scotland do need to develop the next guys through.

Team vs. Uruguay would have to be, though (otherwise I'd be too nervous):
Sutherland Matthews Walker Sykes Skinner Christie Crosbie Bradbury Price/Horne Hastings McDowall Hutchinson/Tuipulotu Rowe Smith Paterson
Yeah, not dissimilar in the end. I actually forgot about Bradbury who is a good pick as well as Sutherland and Hastings (assuming he will be fit?).

I hadn't realised Jordan qualifies post-summer. Perhaps worth taking him for the experience in any case but A.N. Other will need to go. Some will say to cap Chris Dean but that's a bit of a waste now for someone who will not be troubling the squad in the long term. Redpath hasn't too many caps so I'd go with him.
Slick

I was a bit distracted on Saturday, how did Stafford go? I obviously saw the nice break he had but recall much else - that's on me, not him, that's why I'm asking.

As an aside, I'm voting Huw Jones as our player of the tournament. He was just permanently class throughout. If he was playing for any of the big teams he would be in conversations for all the top accolades.

As another aside. Well done to those picking touring teams. I need a fucking break.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Jock42

According to the recent Embra press release, Healy is in the i ternational TBC to tour list. Any ideas why? He played about 3 min so should be good to go.
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:20 pm I was a bit distracted on Saturday, how did Stafford go? I obviously saw the nice break he had but recall much else - that's on me, not him, that's why I'm asking.

Personally I thought he was better than his much vaunted opponent in Bundee Aki, the attacking stats are all pretty similar for the centres, but in defence McDowall was ace, 16 tackles made, 1 missed. He was only on the park for an hour.

When he made his big break he was looking inside for support, while Kinghorn and Duhan were outside him with open prairie in front of them - our two quickest players.
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:37 pm
Slick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:20 pm I was a bit distracted on Saturday, how did Stafford go? I obviously saw the nice break he had but recall much else - that's on me, not him, that's why I'm asking.

Personally I thought he was better than his much vaunted opponent in Bundee Aki, the attacking stats are all pretty similar for the centres, but in defence McDowall was ace, 16 tackles made, 1 missed. He was only on the park for an hour.

When he made his big break he was looking inside for support, while Kinghorn and Duhan were outside him with open prairie in front of them - our two quickest players.
Sounds like a very decent game indeed! Thanks.
Slick

Christ the SRU ticketing page is shite.... 25 minutes to buy 4 tickets for the womens international and then charge me £1.50 a ticket for a processing fee.
Tichtheid

Jock42 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:25 pm According to the recent Embra press release, Healy is in the i ternational TBC to tour list. Any ideas why? He played about 3 min so should be good to go.

My guess based on nothing other than guesswork is that the 7 named in that part of the list will be assessed and then the ones that aren't carrying knocks will fly pout later in the week. I would be very surprised if Schoeman, Gilchrist or vd Merwe feature for Edinburgh in the two games, though I suppose the two South Africans might jump at the chance to go there.

If I'm wrong then I think they will sit out the games against Scarlets, Cardiff and Zebre.
Tichtheid

November tests

Fiji, South Africa, Portugal, Australia on successive weekends throughout November - hopefully all within the international windows.
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 pm November tests

Fiji, South Africa, Portugal, Australia on successive weekends throughout November - hopefully all within the international windows.
Maybe, definitely no, maybe, maybe depending on price.

(chances of me going)
Biffer

Good list of opponents, bit disappointing the two big games are on Sundays. But hey, TV money. Who has the broadcast contract this year - has it gone to TNT?
Jock42

Is the international window not only 3 weeks?
KingBlairhorn

I would have liked the ABs as I think we might have had a glimmer of hope against them, plus when did we last play them at Murrayfield?

Australia is a good chance for a decent scalp but it's presumably out of window? That could be a tough ask without our first choice half-back pairing amongst others.

South Africa we will almost certainly lose.

Fiji will be a worry, I'm not sure how wise it is to play Fiji then SA back to back. If we go full noise for both that's a tough couple of weeks.

Portugal should be a chance for a slightly weakened side to give the first choice guys some respite.
Tichtheid

Jock42 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 pm

From looking at the fixtures for the other teams it looks like the Fiji game might be outside the window
Biffer

KingBlairhorn wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 pm I would have liked the ABs as I think we might have had a glimmer of hope against them, plus when did we last play them at Murrayfield?

Australia is a good chance for a decent scalp but it's presumably out of window? That could be a tough ask without our first choice half-back pairing amongst others.

Fiji will be a worry, I'm not sure how wise it is to play Fiji then SA back to back. If we go full noise for both that's a tough couple of weeks.

Portugal should be a chance for a slightly weakened side to give the first choice guys some respite.
We last played NZ @ Murrayfield in 2022.
westport

Biffer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:19 pm

Good list of opponents, bit disappointing the two big games are on Sundays. But hey, TV money. Who has the broadcast contract this year - has it gone to TNT?
Ticket and broadcast details to be confirmed soon.
Yr Alban

Biffer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 pm I would have liked the ABs as I think we might have had a glimmer of hope against them, plus when did we last play them at Murrayfield?

We last played NZ @ Murrayfield in 2022.
Our last few games v NZ have all been close enough that you could imagine us making the breakthrough at some point in the near future. So, naturally, we only get the chance to play them once ever 3-4 years.
Big D

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm

From looking at the fixtures for the other teams it looks like the Fiji game might be outside the window
Yeah I think Fiji will be Scotland only based players.
Tichtheid

Big D wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 pm

Schoeman, Turner, Fagerson, Gray, Gilchrist, Crosbie, Darge, Dempsey,
Horne, Healy, vdM, Tuipulotu, Jones, Graham, Smith
Ashman, Sutherland, Walker, Cummings, Fagerson, Thompson, McDowall, Dobie.

There are one or two who could change places like Cummings and some like Ritchie who could force their way back into the starting side, but overall it's not a bad lineup.

edit, Oh hang on, is Gray not away to France?

If so Cummings starts and pick one of Skinner, Sykes, Young or Hodgson for the pine
Dogbert

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm
Big D wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 pm

Schoeman, Turner, Fagerson, Gray, Gilchrist, Crosbie, Darge, Dempsey,
Horne, Healy, vdM, Tuipulotu, Jones, Graham, Smith
Ashman, Sutherland, Walker, Cummings, Fagerson, Thompson, McDowall, Dobie.

There are one or two who could change places like Cummings and some like Ritchie who could force their way back into the starting side, but overall it's not a bad lineup.

edit, Oh hang on, is Gray not away to France?

If so Cummings starts and pick one of Skinner, Sykes, Young or Hodgson for the pine
Gray the Elder will still be at Glasgow , Gray the younger - the strong rumour is that he is going to Bordeaux-Bègles
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails