The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Tichtheid

Dogbert wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:02 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm
Big D wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 pm

Yeah I think Fiji will be Scotland only based players.

Schoeman, Turner, Fagerson, Gray, Gilchrist, Crosbie, Darge, Dempsey,
Horne, Healy, vdM, Tuipulotu, Jones, Graham, Smith
Ashman, Sutherland, Walker, Cummings, Fagerson, Thompson, McDowall, Dobie.

There are one or two who could change places like Cummings and some like Ritchie who could force their way back into the starting side, but overall it's not a bad lineup.

edit, Oh hang on, is Gray not away to France?

If so Cummings starts and pick one of Skinner, Sykes, Young or Hodgson for the pine
Gray the Elder will still be at Glasgow , Gray the younger - the strong rumour is that he is going to Bordeaux-Bègles

I was mixing my toasties there

I've been making theses mistakes all day.
charltom

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm
Jock42 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 pm

Is the international window not only 3 weeks?
From looking at the fixtures for the other teams it looks like the Fiji game might be outside the window
And given Fiji will presumably also lack players for the same reason, that match ought to be all right.

Who's calling lowly Australia a "scalp"?
Biffer

Hastings might be back in Glasgow according to rumour, and Patterson has taken a big jump up the FB pecking order
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Biffer

charltom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:57 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm

From looking at the fixtures for the other teams it looks like the Fiji game might be outside the window
And given Fiji will presumably also lack players for the same reason, that match ought to be all right.

Think we get to keep them if we beat them this time.
KingBlairhorn

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:45 am

I forgot about the 2022 NZ match - it was the tour to NZ that was cancelled in 2020 that was maybe in my mind? 2022 was Hogg getting tackled by Barrett in the last few minutes and then them scoring (a penalty?) at the other end to take the match away from us? 2017 was Cane (?) slapping the ball out of Gray's hands when we were about to score under the posts at the end. Sad times!

On Australia, we lost the last time we played them (also 2022) and have a losing record against them at home and in general. They may be in disarray but we should still consider any win against any Australian side a good win.
Biffer

KingBlairhorn wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:49 am

I forgot about the 2022 NZ match - it was the tour to NZ that was cancelled in 2020 that was maybe in my mind? 2022 was Hogg getting tackled by Barrett in the last few minutes and then them scoring (a penalty?) at the other end to take the match away from us? 2017 was Cane (?) slapping the ball out of Gray's hands when we were about to score under the posts at the end. Sad times!

On Australia, we lost the last time we played them (also 2022) and have a losing record against them at home and in general. They may be in disarray but we should still consider any win against any Australian side a good win.
2017 was the cover tackle from Beauden Barrett on Hogg
clydecloggie

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:52 am

Yup. Never heard Murrayfield roar like that and then go eerily quiet in the space of a few seconds.

2022 was where they messed up chance after chance, were still somehow leading after 60 but to no-one's surprise ended up losing.

We are definitely close and that first win is within reach. If we ever get to play them again.
Slick

Really? That feels like yesterday. Literally no one saw Barrett coming, at insane pace.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:44 am Hastings might be back in Glasgow according to rumour, and Patterson has taken a big jump up the FB pecking order
Did he get injured after the France game? If not, it's hugely disappointing that he didn't get another run out or bench - not suggesting he should have kept his place with BK coming back (although might change my mind now) but he deserved a back 3 cover spot at least I reckon. We have to get him games, he looks real dealish.
Tichtheid

The '17 match was a nail biter, '22 was classic Scotland, Darcy Graham is a couple of mm away from one of the great finishes to go into the lead. We are 23 - 16 up on the hour mark, penalty then yellow card then try etc etc, it ends up 23 - 31
SomersetJock

It seems that Sam Warburton is upset that two of the Scotland players arrogantly wore flipflops and “swigged” beer after the match in Cardiff this year.

Absolute disgrace, should get at least a ban until after next years 6N for such reckless behaviour 😉

I always thought he was quite reasonable until now !
SaintK

SomersetJock wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:57 am It seems that Sam Warburton is upset that two of the Scotland players arrogantly wore flipflops and “swigged” beer after the match in Cardiff this year.

Absolute disgrace, should get at least a ban until after next years 6N for such reckless behaviour 😉

"Flipflops! FFS man no wonder. All modern rugby players wear sliders nowadays. Scotland players are an absolute disgrace!!!
Tichtheid

SaintK wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:22 am
SomersetJock wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:57 am It seems that Sam Warburton is upset that two of the Scotland players arrogantly wore flipflops and “swigged” beer after the match in Cardiff this year.

"Flipflops! FFS man no wonder. All modern rugby players wear sliders nowadays. Scotland players are an absolute disgrace!!!

There was a Kiwi guy I worked with for a bit whose flip-flops (or "thongs") had a bottle opener on the bottom of them so you could sit with the side of your foot on your knee and open a beer.
Biffer

I thought sliders were mini burgers.
Biffer

Murrayfield to host Manchester United v Rangers on Saturday 20th July.

Are we looking for an insurance job to fund stadium redevelopment?
SomersetJock

A lot of the lads at my local club wear those horrendous Crocs things. Should be an instant lifetime ban for that sort of thing !
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:07 pm Murrayfield to host Manchester United v Rangers on Saturday 20th July.

Are we looking for an insurance job to fund stadium redevelopment?

Between that and the three Taylor Swift gigs, it must be a nice little earner for the SRU
Jock42

Slick wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:30 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:44 am Hastings might be back in Glasgow according to rumour, and Patterson has taken a big jump up the FB pecking order
Did he get injured after the France game? If not, it's hugely disappointing that he didn't get another run out or bench - not suggesting he should have kept his place with BK coming back (although might change my mind now) but he deserved a back 3 cover spot at least I reckon. We have to get him games, he looks real dealish.
Hes not travelling to SA due to an injury but not sure when he picked it up. I reckon Toony has Rowe ahead of him though.
Slick

Jock42 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:41 pm
Hes not travelling to SA due to an injury but not sure when he picked it up. I reckon Toony has Rowe ahead of him though.
I think you are probably right, and it's difficult to argue I guess, would just hate to think he slips back from where he is
robmatic

Frees up Ross Thompson to come east...
Dogbert

robmatic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:14 pm
That seems to be the narrative - would rather have Thompson stay at Glasgow , and Hastings go to Edinburgh
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails
robmatic

He's not even had many Embra games yet, so it will do him good getting some time in the URC, which is likely given the injury issues in the back 3 there (Chris Dean has been getting games and he's never a winger).
robmatic

Dogbert wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm
That seems to be the narrative - would rather have Thompson stay at Glasgow , and Hastings go to Edinburgh
I am not sure Franco rates Thompson.
Slick

robmatic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:19 pm
He's not even had many Embra games yet, so it will do him good getting some time in the URC, which is likely given the injury issues in the back 3 there (Chris Dean has been getting games and he's never a winger).
Yeah, fair enough.

Have we given up on Healy then? Must say I’d like Hastings to Edinburgh. Thompson really needs to up things a bit, think he’s done pretty well this season but doesn’t look anything more than a good pro at the moment
LenCohen

n
Last edited by LenCohen on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deveron Boy

For about 2 seconds I thought Hogg was in and a lifetime of waiting was over
Dogbert

robmatic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:20 pm
Dogbert wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm

I am not sure Franco rates Thompson.
I hear that Franco actually does rate Thompson ( as did Pete Horne when he was at Glasgow ) but Franco is really quite a conservative coach , and will only introduce players really quite slowly back into the first team, especially after lengthy injury periods. That being said Franco does prefer players to have a real physical presence, but RT10 is still only 24 , and he has bulked up a bit this year

With Sione & now Shuggie on the injury list - I expect that Jordan will spend more time at 12 ( he really is a 12 & not a 10), with Stafford in 13 - may even see Steyn play 13 , with Seb & Rowe on the wings - so Thompson will get more game time.

Of course whether Thompson moves to Edinburgh is not in Franco's control anyway - Whatever the SRU wants is what will happen
Jock42

Slick wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:37 pm
robmatic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:19 pm

Yeah, fair enough.

Have we given up on Healy then? Must say I’d like Hastings to Edinburgh. Thompson really needs to up things a bit, think he’s done pretty well this season but doesn’t look anything more than a good pro at the moment
I'm a fan of him. Haven't seen much of Scott yet but wouldn't want his progression stifled.
Big D

Are we sure Hastings is any better/has greater potential than the 10s in place at Edinburgh or Glasgow?

He's started picking up injuries and from what I've seen, he hasn't been tearing up trees for Gloucester when fit.
KingBlairhorn

Big D wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 pm Are we sure Hastings is any better/has greater potential than the 10s in place at Edinburgh or Glasgow?

He's started picking up injuries and from what I've seen, he hasn't been tearing up trees for Gloucester when fit.
That (the injury record) is possibly why Glasgow is a good fit. For him he gets the rest time he needs to get his body working again, for Glasgow they get a very good player who will undoubtedly compete to start, for the SRU they get another 10 in the depth chart. Everyone wins. I really liked Richie Simpson for the U20s and at Super6 level but he doesn't seem to be threatening a breakthrough.
Yr Alban

Deveron Boy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:41 pm

Literally every time I see that clip I think that maybe THIS time he’ll make it.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Biffer

Yr Alban wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 am

Literally every time I see that clip I think that maybe THIS time he’ll make it.
Every time I watch it I have an internal voice screaming GRUBBER KICK
Big D

KingBlairhorn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:23 am
Big D wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 pm Are we sure Hastings is any better/has greater potential than the 10s in place at Edinburgh or Glasgow?

That (the injury record) is possibly why Glasgow is a good fit. For him he gets the rest time he needs to get his body working again, for Glasgow they get a very good player who will undoubtedly compete to start, for the SRU they get another 10 in the depth chart. Everyone wins. I really liked Richie Simpson for the U20s and at Super6 level but he doesn't seem to be threatening a breakthrough.
This is one of those "if he wasn't Scottish they wouldn't sign him" type deals but it is completely understandable too. My concern is that it looks like Thomson is getting punted down the road to Edinburgh to make space for him. Given the extensive medical problems he has had recently; knee, shoulder and ankle then it has to be a concern over his durability and whether he can get back to his best. Sometimes multiple different injuries is bad luck and sometimes it is a sign the body isn't up to it.

Thomson will not fix any perceived issue at Edinburgh either. An upgrade at 12 is needed there IMO.
Slick

Without a doubt, when playing regularly he is the No2 10 for Scotland. But.... injuries... really hope he can get back into it, he's a good lad.
C T

Biffer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am
Yr Alban wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 am

Every time I watch it I have an internal voice screaming GRUBBER KICK
Interesting thing about this was it summed up Hoggy in a moment.

The absolute brilliance to make the break in the first place, followed by almost a feeling that he felt he had to do it all himself.

Hoggy of course "grew up" in the team as a standout player, so I don't blame him for think that. But I kinda get the feeling that he never fully adjusted his mindset as the team around him got better and better.
robmatic

Big D wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:21 am
Thomson will not fix any perceived issue at Edinburgh either. An upgrade at 12 is needed there IMO.
Edinburgh's issue at 10 is a pure lack of bodies. We've lost Kinghorn, Savala and Swiel this season and only having Healy and Scott to play there is a big risk.

You are probably right about 12 but at least Edinburgh can handle a couple of injuries in the centres without being screwed.
Dogbert

Glasgow Warriors for Cardiff

Strongest Team we can probably put out considering injuries & Scotland players out.

Interesting to see Thompson not listed , and no 10 cover on the bench, maybe RT is indeed heading to Edinburgh- but then with Franco's 6-2 split who knows

A win , or even better a 5 pointer would put some distance between 3rd & 4th

15 Josh McKay

14 Sebastian Cancelliere
13 Stafford McDowall
12 Tom Jordan
11 Kyle Steyn (Captain)

10 Duncan Weir
9 Jamie Dobie

1 Nathan McBeth
2 Johnny Matthews
3 Lucio Sordoni
4 Max Williamson
5 Alex Samuel
6 Euan Ferrie
7 Matt Fagerson
8 Jack Dempsey

Substitutes

16 Gregor Hiddleston
17 Allan Dell
18 Oli Kebble
19 Sintu Manjezi
20 Ally Miller
21 Henco Venter
22 George Horne
23 Duncan Munn

Unavailable for selection: Jamie Bhatti (foot), Fraser Brown (knee), Gregor Brown (knee), Richie Gray (bicep), Huw Jones (hand), Jack Mann (ankle), JP du Preez (knee), Ollie Smith (knee), Sione Tuipulotu (knee), Sione Vailanu (knee).
weegie01

Fun fact in relation to Edinburgh v Glasgow 10s and 12s.

Jordan had an offer from Edinburgh before Glasgow, and was so close to accepting it he had a flat share organised. Then Glasgow stepped in with an offer and he went there.

If Hastings goes to Glasgow they will need to alter their style of play. 10 is not their principal playmaker, so Jordan is not fussed at moving to 12 from where more of the play is driven. If Hastings joins he would not be content to just act as a link moving the ball out but would expect more playmaking responsibilities. Of course, Glasgow may currently play this way purely due to the players available to them currently.
weegie01

Dogbert wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:38 pm Glasgow Warriors for Cardiff

Strongest Team we can probably put out considering injuries & Scotland players out.

Interesting to see Thompson not listed , and no 10 cover on the bench, maybe RT is indeed heading to Edinburgh- but then with Franco's 6-2 split who knows

15 Josh McKay

14 Sebastian Cancelliere
13 Stafford McDowall
12 Tom Jordan
11 Kyle Steyn (Captain)

10 Duncan Weir
9 Jamie Dobie

1 Nathan McBeth
2 Johnny Matthews
3 Lucio Sordoni
4 Max Williamson
5 Alex Samuel
6 Euan Ferrie
7 Matt Fagerson
8 Jack Dempsey

Substitutes

16 Gregor Hiddleston
17 Allan Dell
18 Oli Kebble
19 Sintu Manjezi
20 Ally Miller
21 Henco Venter
22 George Horne
23 Duncan Munn

Unavailable for selection: Jamie Bhatti (foot), Fraser Brown (knee), Gregor Brown (knee), Richie Gray (bicep), Huw Jones (hand), Jack Mann (ankle), JP du Preez (knee), Ollie Smith (knee), Sione Tuipulotu (knee), Sione Vailanu (knee).
Munn is primarily a centre so he can come on and release Jordan or even McDowall step in to 10. Either of them can cover FB, Dobie covers wing.
Dogbert

weegie01 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:58 pm
Dogbert wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:38 pm Glasgow Warriors for Cardiff

15 Josh McKay

14 Sebastian Cancelliere
13 Stafford McDowall
12 Tom Jordan
11 Kyle Steyn (Captain)

10 Duncan Weir
9 Jamie Dobie

1 Nathan McBeth
2 Johnny Matthews
3 Lucio Sordoni
4 Max Williamson
5 Alex Samuel
6 Euan Ferrie
7 Matt Fagerson
8 Jack Dempsey

Substitutes

16 Gregor Hiddleston
17 Allan Dell
18 Oli Kebble
19 Sintu Manjezi
20 Ally Miller
21 Henco Venter
22 George Horne
23 Duncan Munn

Munn is primarily a centre so he can come on and release Jordan or even McDowall step in to 10. Either of them can cover FB, Dobie covers wing.
Yes of course - Jordon moves to 10 with Munn coming in at centre - looking forward to see what Munn can do