The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Big D

Slick wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:10 am
Big D wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 pm Are we sure Hastings is any better/has greater potential than the 10s in place at Edinburgh or Glasgow?

He's started picking up injuries and from what I've seen, he hasn't been tearing up trees for Gloucester when fit.
Without a doubt, when playing regularly he is the No2 10 for Scotland. But.... injuries... really hope he can get back into it, he's a good lad.
I don't think we can say that though. Since the start of the 20/21 season he's only played in 6 games for Scotland and that isn't only due to injury. GT has had the choice and selected others.
Jock42

KingBlairhorn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:23 am
Big D wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 pm Are we sure Hastings is any better/has greater potential than the 10s in place at Edinburgh or Glasgow?

He's started picking up injuries and from what I've seen, he hasn't been tearing up trees for Gloucester when fit.
That (the injury record) is possibly why Glasgow is a good fit. For him he gets the rest time he needs to get his body working again, for Glasgow they get a very good player who will undoubtedly compete to start, for the SRU they get another 10 in the depth chart. Everyone wins. I really liked Richie Simpson for the U20s and at Super6 level but he doesn't seem to be threatening a breakthrough.
I'm not sure it's the case for Hastings. He's barely had a run of matches before picking up another injury so it's not as if his game time needs managed more effectively.
Slick

Big D wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Without a doubt, when playing regularly he is the No2 10 for Scotland. But.... injuries... really hope he can get back into it, he's a good lad.
I don't think we can say that though. Since the start of the 20/21 season he's only played in 6 games for Scotland and that isn't only due to injury. GT has had the choice and selected others.
Only because of that ludicrous BK10 experiment.

That's quite surprising actually, but my main point of reference is when he took over when Finn went AWOL and was superb for us.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:03 am

That's quite surprising actually, but my main point of reference is when he took over when Finn went AWOL and was superb for us.

BK was still being selected as fly half cover for the 6N just ended
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:12 am
Slick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:03 am

BK was still being selected as fly half cover for the 6N just ended
Doesn't make it any less ludicrous :grin:
I like neeps

Delighted Jake Henry is making his Edinburgh debut. Was great in the super6 before the awful injuries.
vball

I like neeps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:33 pm Delighted Jake Henry is making his Edinburgh debut. Was great in the super6 before the awful injuries.
Excellent news !!
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Jock42

How old is he? 22 or 23? Read he went on the macphail scholarship in 2019, good to get to chance to see him properly.

Chuffed for Nel hitting 200.
Wylie Coyote

vball wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:09 pm
I like neeps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:33 pm Delighted Jake Henry is making his Edinburgh debut. Was great in the super6 before the awful injuries.
Excellent news !!
I was sure I'd seen him play for Edinburgh before. Certainly seen him on the RWC sevens circuit a few years back where he was unremarkable. He would've been young, I'm sure he's developed, it will be interesting to see him have a run out. When you play the SA teams in SA you should always pick your fastest possible back three so we'll no doubt see if he has the pace.
topofthemoon

Wylie Coyote wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:59 pm
Excellent news !!
I was sure I'd seen him play for Edinburgh before. Certainly seen him on the RWC sevens circuit a few years back where he was unremarkable. He would've been young, I'm sure he's developed, it will be interesting to see him have a run out. When you play the SA teams in SA you should always pick your fastest possible back three so we'll no doubt see if he has the pace.
He's played in pre-season before but never a 'proper' match.
topofthemoon

Match preview for Glasgow v Cardiff:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/news/ ... ead-heads/
topofthemoon

Match preview for Stormers v Edinburgh:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/analy ... own-clash/
westport

Emiliano Boffelli is out (back spasm) and replaced by Chris Dean. Wes Goosen shifts to full-back, with debutant Jake Henry swapping wings.
James Lang comes onto the bench at 23
Jock42

Going to be a long day if they kick absolutely everything.
Jock42

Shite debut
KingBlairhorn

topofthemoon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:05 pm
Wylie Coyote wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:59 pm

Excellent news !!
He's played in pre-season before but never a 'proper' match.
A great try on dayboo for the lad
KingBlairhorn

Edinburgh holding on by their fingernails here
robmatic

Stormers looking tasty with the ball.
robmatic

robmatic wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:37 pm Stormers looking tasty with the ball.
Might be an idea to not give them the ball so much.
Jock42

Lang couldn't have given any less fucks in defence there.
KingBlairhorn

Edinburgh appear to have ruined another 10, Healy already looking a shadow of the player he was at Munster.
Biffer

Not a good day for Edinburgh, even a bonus point would have been something.

But ospreys, Benetton, Ulster all lost this weekend, so fortunately didn’t lose too much ground in the race for a top 8 spot.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
KingBlairhorn

The women are 7 points up with 6 minutes to go against wales. Let’s see if they have the same mental fragility as the men 🤦‍♂️
KingBlairhorn

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm The women are 7 points up with 6 minutes to go against wales. Let’s see if they have the same mental fragility as the men 🤦‍♂️
Haha, not sure what the answer is here. They pounded the Welsh line for about 10 minutes, failed to score and wales obviously went down the other end, we got a yellow and they scored. But then, amazingly, wales missed a pretty simple conversion for the draw and Scotland win.

No matter the circumstances a huge result for the woman’s team.
Slick

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:43 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm The women are 7 points up with 6 minutes to go against wales. Let’s see if they have the same mental fragility as the men 🤦‍♂️
Haha, not sure what the answer is here. They pounded the Welsh line for about 10 minutes, failed to score and wales obviously went down the other end, we got a yellow and they scored. But then, amazingly, wales missed a pretty simple conversion for the draw and Scotland win.

No matter the circumstances a huge result for the woman’s team.
They look like they will improve as the tournament goes on and they get a bit more cohesion.

Why did the Welsh 9 kick it out!
Slick

Oh Christ, what happened to Edinburgh
Biffer

Great result for the ladies. Seven wins in a row is same good, and it includes Italy, wales, Ireland, South Africa, Japan
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
OomStruisbaai

Slick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:01 pm Oh Christ, what happened to Edinburgh
They were lucky to keep it under 50.
Dogbert

“And as he drove on, the rainclouds dragged down the sky after him, for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him, and to water him.”

Well Rob is obviously now a Warriors season ticker holder.

Seriously , that first half was probably the worst weather I’ve experienced at Scotstoun – then miraculously it all changed at half time .
Anyway ultimately a good win , but not a great performance.

There has been lots of conversations on this forum that Scotland players lack ‘ dog’ well – Euan Ferrie has so much dog he’s almost an XL Bully and Max ‘Bakkies’ Williamson not too far behind.

Cardiff were well worth their bonus point – Edinburgh will have their work cut out to get a result a months time in Wales
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails
Jock42

Was never expecting a win but that was very disappointing. First half, they kicked about 99% of their ball away. Never managed to slow the Stormers ball down at the breakdown and it really cost them.
OomStruisbaai

Jock42 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:22 pm
Was never expecting a win but that was very disappointing. First half, they kicked about 99% of their ball away. Never managed to slow the Stormers ball down at the breakdown and it really cost them.
Jake White gave Everett his notes from last week but they forgot about the player change in 15.
Jock42

Russell just slotted a DG. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
clydecloggie

Jock42 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:28 pm Russell just slotted a DG. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
It was ugly as hell, but left-footed. I think we give him the benefit of the doubt - he has now completed rugby.
Tichtheid

clydecloggie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:18 am
Jock42 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:28 pm Russell just slotted a DG. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
It was ugly as hell, but left-footed. I think we give him the benefit of the doubt - he has now completed rugby.

From the highlights vid I saw Finn and Redpath were both very good, splitting the defence open several times.
Dogbert

Rumor has it that Edinburgh has secured the services of Paul Hill currently at Northampton Saints

Filling a WP Nel sized gap,

Certainly pretty experienced , and not getting much game time at Saints, third choice these days , probably hot going to be getting in the England squad so would be available for most of the season fro Edinburgh.

Had potential back in the day , but never really kicked on
Yr Alban

Dogbert wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 pm Rumor has it that Edinburgh has secured the services of Paul Hill currently at Northampton Saints

Certainly pretty experienced , and not getting much game time at Saints, third choice these days , probably hot going to be getting in the England squad so would be available for most of the season fro Edinburgh.

I’m torn between ‘should be a good replacement‘ and ‘FFS not another NSQ prop’
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
robmatic

Yr Alban wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am
Dogbert wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 pm Rumor has it that Edinburgh has secured the services of Paul Hill currently at Northampton Saints

Is he definitely NSQ? The signing makes more sense if he has a Scottish granny (or if his birthplace in Germany means an army hospital).
SaintK

robmatic wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 am

Is he definitely NSQ? The signing makes more sense if he has a Scottish granny (or if his birthplace in Germany means an army hospital).
Shoulen't make any difference. I've followed him since he signed for Saints as a lad, he's not good enough for international rugby.
robmatic

SaintK wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:17 am

Shoulen't make any difference. I've followed him since he signed for Saints as a lad, he's not good enough for international rugby.
That's fine, many players who are not good enough for international rugby have played for Scotland :thumbup:
Dogbert

6 caps for England , last one against Canada in 2021 - so NSQ