10 year passport rule

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Are people still unaware of this? Britain used to issue passports for more than ten years, and now we're out of the EU they're not accepted past the ten year cut off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68658209

I remember there being a fair bit of publicity about this a few years ago, but just in case any of you are unaware...
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Insane_Homer

You would think a competent home office would have records of such things and be able to issue a letter to the registered address of said passport holders to warn/remind them that this would happened :yawn:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Slick

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 pm You would think a competent home office would have records of such things and be able to issue a letter to the registered address of said passport holders to warn/remind them that this would happened :yawn:
Or a competent person could look at their passport
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Hal Jordan

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 pm You would think a competent home office would have records of such things and be able to issue a letter to the registered address of said passport holders to warn/remind them that this would happened :yawn:
Too busy devising ways to brutalise "illegal immigrants".
Raggs

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 pm Are people still unaware of this? Britain used to issue passports for more than ten years, and now we're out of the EU they're not accepted past the ten year cut off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68658209

I remember there being a fair bit of publicity about this a few years ago, but just in case any of you are unaware...
I got lucky with catching this last christmas. Going through Schipol, would have had about 7 months left, but past the 10 year mark. Managed to get a short notice quick passport renewal in place. Live on the isle of wight. Had the choice of London or Cardiff for pickup, Cardiff was quicker and easier public transport.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Sandstorm

I knew already, but I'm a travel nut and read it on another blog months ago. No surprise Home Office didn't make this big news public properly.
Blackmac

I'm organising our golf trip this year and picked up two of the guys who would have fallen foul of this.
Sandstorm

Blackmac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:39 pm I'm organising our golf trip this year and picked up two of the guys who would have fallen foul of this.
Free beer all weekend for you.
Glaston

How many millions would that cost?
32 million passports issued before the new rules came in.

Passport office brought in the 10 year only thing nearly 6 years ago so just 4and a bit more years of stupid people getting caught out.
Biffer

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:22 pm I knew already, but I'm a travel nut and read it on another blog months ago. No surprise Home Office didn't make this big news public properly.
Months ago? I knew about it years ago.

This whole thing to me reeks of British exceptionalism.

Just this idea that 'we're British, of course they'll accept our passports' so they don't need to check in advance, don't need to read the info given when they book etc. This 'someone should have told me' shit is usually what comes from people who claim to be big on individual responsibilities - how about taking responsibility and checking?

I have the same issue with the WASPI women tbh.
Margin__Walker

Nah, it reeks of people expecting their passport expiry date to be their passport expiry date.

Unless you get the comms out there, which is now happening, the general public will be caught out by it.
Raggs

I didn't catch the news about it. My mum told me that there was something about British passports going through Europe, because people had been caught out on a cruise she'd been on. So I looked into it. I doubt I'd have caught it otherwise.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
assfly

How is this even a thing? :lol:
dpedin

This is the reality of Brexit - the EU countries are now just the same as any other country I visit - I check the entry requirements and double check things like roaming charges, health insurance, car requirements if driving, etc. Many folk haven't really realised we are now a 3rd country when it comes to Europe, all the benefits of being a member of the club have or are going. It is going to be even more difficult once the new ETIAS rules come into force ie if you get a new passport you will need a new ETIAS which is likely going to cause chaos when implemented. I have no idea how Dver, Eurotunnel, Eurostar are going to cope with the physical space limitations they already have, having been designed on assumption of FoM or just a cursory passport check. The 90/180 day rule is still causing havoc for many, especially the UK migrants in Spain, despite all the comms around this. Of course there is a very easy and simple solution to all this expensive bureaucratic crap .....
Paddington Bear

Biffer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am
Sandstorm wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:22 pm I knew already, but I'm a travel nut and read it on another blog months ago. No surprise Home Office didn't make this big news public properly.

Just this idea that 'we're British, of course they'll accept our passports' so they don't need to check in advance, don't need to read the info given when they book etc. This 'someone should have told me' shit is usually what comes from people who claim to be big on individual responsibilities - how about taking responsibility and checking?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Never change
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
inactionman

Paddington Bear wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am
Biffer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Never change
Or seek help.
Biffer

The BBC seems to have a bee in its bonnet about this at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68677938

The level of blind privilege from the people in here though
She says the issue with her passport was "a technicality" the airlines should be able to deal with.
Slick

Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:38 pm The BBC seems to have a bee in its bonnet about this at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68677938

The level of blind privilege from the people in here though
She says the issue with her passport was "a technicality" the airlines should be able to deal with.
The airlines get fined massively for that “technicality”
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Biffer

Fuck me, there’s another story about it on the bbc as well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68679606
"I was livid, but I didn't know who to be livid with," he said.
Yourself, you dick.
Sandstorm

Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:01 pm Fuck me, there’s another story about it on the bbc as well

Yourself, you dick.
“ We lost everything. We lost our flights, they weren't insured. And Patricia couldn't travel alone because she's in a wheelchair."

He’s a genuine fucking moron.
Hellraiser

It would be interesting to see a graph of the people affected plotted against the people affected who voted for Brexit.

Ceterum censeo delendam esse Muscovia
Calculon

Some of these stories are hilarious.

We lost thousands of Pounds on our Med cruise, we were so upset we had to book another holiday straight away. Pensioners like us needed that money to pay for gas and electricity
Blackmac

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm
Blackmac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:39 pm I'm organising our golf trip this year and picked up two of the guys who would have fallen foul of this.
Free beer all weekend for you.

It's all inclusive but I will insist they go to the bar all week.
Blackmac

Am I being extremely cynical in seeing much the same nonsense in the WASPI women's claims. One woman I heard on the radio genuinely thought she could still retire when she had turned 60 in 2017 and just seemed outraged that the government hadn't personally sent an advisor to her home to spoon feed her the information about the changes that had been in place for decades.

I'm just wondering if I can complain in 2034 and be outraged that no one personally told me I couldn't retire until 2036.
Paddington Bear

The WASPI women are the least sympathetic pressure group I have ever come across, they don’t deserve a penny or an apology
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Margin__Walker

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:16 am The WASPI women are the least sympathetic pressure group I have ever come across, they don’t deserve a penny or an apology
Yep, think that's something that almost everyone can agree on. Proper 'cry me a river' content for the most part.
Yr Alban

Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:01 pm Fuck me, there’s another story about it on the bbc as well

Yourself, you dick.
Yep. A lot of countries don’t just require your passport to be in date, either, but to have 3 months’ validity remaining. Of course, as EU citizens we could use them up until their expiry date, whether beyond 10 years or not, but that was just another casualty of the frenzied destruction of anything remotely related to Europe or the EU.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
sockwithaticket

Hellraiser wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:35 am It would be interesting to see a graph of the people affected plotted against the people affected who voted for Brexit.
I seem to recall that when the moment came for Brits to use the 'rest of the world' queue at EU points of entry there was a lot of 'this wasn't the Brexit I voted for' from people who looked exactly as you thought they would.
Blackmac

Margin__Walker wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:27 am
Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:16 am The WASPI women are the least sympathetic pressure group I have ever come across, they don’t deserve a penny or an apology
Yep, think that's something that almost everyone can agree on. Proper 'cry me a river' content for the most part.
Apart from the fact that we have numerous politicians jumping aboard the bandwagon.
Biffer

There’s a woman in the testimony to the inquiry complaining that she can’t afford the upkeep on the two additional properties she bought after retiring in her fifties. Another who retired at 47, three years before the DWP should have written to her.

And these are the people chosen by the campaign as good examples to put forward.