The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:53 pm

Exactly, the entire team is for development apart from the props! And Muncaster and Dodd, Muncaster needs game time .. wouldn't have picked Dodd.

Why on earth do we have Luan playing games? And a Scotland international playing S6 FFS.

My guess is that with those props you give the young players a platform to play from.

Still no sign of Jamie Campbell
Big D

KingBlairhorn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 am
Big D wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm And come on, he's nowhere near a Lions shirt.
There is a lack of quality hookers about in GB&I. He could have been in the discussion, especially given it would be a surprise if there aren't injuries leading into the tour. I didn't say was a Lion but could potentially be one. Anyone a within the top 5 or 6 in their position have a chance. Sheehan and Kelleher are good, George is older than Turner and on the wain, Dan unproven and the Welsh hookers worst of the bunch IMO.

Turner gets a lot of deserved stick for his discipline but he does a lot of good things that will be missed. He is one of the hardest hitting defenders in a team that lacks hard hitting defenders and he is still a better hooker than Ashman and the others even if he is well into the back 9 of his career.

Absolutely need to find ways to get youngsters game time, but if Turner effectively retires the national squad has lost 150 caps (would be many more but for injury) with McInally, Brown and then Turner finishing up. It needs Ashman, who has his own battles, to step up as the senior hooker.
I suppose you are right he's in the conversation but only for the 3rd spot. Kelleher and Sheehan are 1 and 2 by a distance at this point IMO, and we know where there is a marginal selection it is likely the probable underperformance of the Scotland team as a whole will count against Turner. Whichever of Wales or England finishes above us will get the spot, either George (although at 34 he would be old)/Dan/Cowan-Dickie or Elias/Elliot Dee. We all know Scotland has a soft underbelly so where there is a marginal call it's hard to be critical (nevertheless I will be strongly so) of a selector picking a player perceived to be mentally stronger.
If ranking them now I'd probably have him 4th or 5th as it is a comparatively weak crop when the Irish two are removed, given three will go I'd say anyone in that range is a potential Lion less than 12 months to squad announcement.

I think it is a shame given the amount of experience we are losing in the front row at international level with Nel retiring, Rambo having retired and Brown slowing down to retirement. Less of an issue for Glasgow at this stage.
Biffer

The Offside Line, which treated the Super Six with barely concealed contempt for all its existence, is now publishing stories that say scrapping it is depriving young pros of a chance to play.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Yr Alban

Big D wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 pm ... and another thing seeing as I'm sitting in the pub with a pint.

Should Townsend be chasing Fergus Burke to come on the summer tour and commit to Scotland? Already Scottish qualified and Saracens have kindly brought him to the UK and are paying him. 24 year old kiwi born and raised, through the Crusaders who were apparently a bit pissed off to lose him. Get him and Healy fighting it out on the summer tour? Pretty sure Russell wouldn't have been going anyway given the RWC etc - senior players bound to be rested for the summer.
The SRU tried to get him for Glasgow apparently so I would assume so. He is EQ though and his contract may reflect that.
You’d have to think that his path to an England shirt is a bit crowded right now.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:09 pm

Exactly, the entire team is for development apart from the props! And Muncaster and Dodd, Muncaster needs game time .. wouldn't have picked Dodd.

Why on earth do we have Luan playing games? And a Scotland international playing S6 FFS.

My guess is that with those props you give the young players a platform to play from.

Exactly why Edinburgh's coaches can't develop any props though. Too scared about a platform in a development league?!

When is Mikey Jones going to be developed to be able to provide a platform? Another young props career mismanaged dearie me.

Luan de Bruin playing for Edinburgh A is nothing short of a farce, surprised that you're defending it.
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am

Exactly why Edinburgh's coaches can't develop any props though. Too scared about a platform in a development league?!

When is Mikey Jones going to be developed to be able to provide a platform? Another young props career mismanaged dearie me.

Luan de Bruin playing for Edinburgh A is nothing short of a farce, surprised that you're defending it.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, there is a post on the Glasgow bored from a guy who focusses on the young players, he is actually quite enthusiastic about the fact that Edinburgh have seven starters and five bench guys who are a mix of U20s, U19s and a U18 player, plus two 21 year olds in the pack.

I share your disappointment at the prop situation, but to be honest Rae needs game time and I would expect/hope Jones to get a good half an hour at least.
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am
I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, there is a post on the Glasgow bored from a guy who focusses on the young players, he is actually quite enthusiastic about the fact that Edinburgh have seven starters and five bench guys who are a mix of U20s, U19s and a U18 player, plus two 21 year olds in the pack.

I share your disappointment at the prop situation, but to be honest Rae needs game time and I would expect/hope Jones to get a good half an hour at least.
I may have misunderstood the rationale behind A sides but I thought the expectation was the team would be mostly 18-23 year olds?

I really don't see the justification for playing internationals or seasoned professionals. Angus Williams on the bench as well, come on.

Glasgow doing it right, two academy props.
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 am

and an Argentinian World Cup tighthead on the bench.

The only tighthead Edinburgh have got in the academy is Ollie Blyth-Lafftery who turned 18 a couple of weeks ago. Robin Deans, a loosehead, is in the academy and perhaps we'll see these guys later on in the sprint series. However the Glasgow pack is pretty experienced, there are several of these guys who have played first fifteen games this season.

Mikey Jones has a full time contract with Edinburgh, I don't think the Glasgow lads have that yet.
Tichtheid

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Scarlets at Hive Stadium in the BKT United Rugby Championship
Saturday 20 April (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Wes Goosen (27)
14. Matt Currie (34)
13. Mark Bennett (103)
12. James Lang (52)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (87)
10. Ben Healy (18)
9. Ali Price (12)

1. Boan Venter (61)
2. Dave Cherry (88)
3. Javan Sebastian (12)
4. Jamie Hodgson (60)
5. Grant Gilchrist (200) CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie (109)
7. Luke Crosbie (95)
8. Viliame Mata (133)

Replacements
16. Ewan Ashman (15)
17. Pierre Schoeman (110)
18. WP Nel (203)
19. Marshall Sykes (57)
20. Connor Boyle (41)
21. Ben Vellacott (56)
22. Cammy Scott (8)
23. Chris Dean (148)

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (back), Darcy Graham (groin), Jake Henry (hamstring), Robin Hislop (knee), Harry Paterson (ankle), Sam Skinner (rest), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (groin), Hamish Watson (rest), Glen Young (ankle).

Cammy Scott is starting tonight and is on the bench for tomorrow
Big D

Must win and win well for Edinburgh really.
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 pm

The only tighthead Edinburgh have got in the academy is Ollie Blyth-Lafftery who turned 18 a couple of weeks ago. Robin Deans, a loosehead, is in the academy and perhaps we'll see these guys later on in the sprint series. However the Glasgow pack is pretty experienced, there are several of these guys who have played first fifteen games this season.

Mikey Jones has a full time contract with Edinburgh, I don't think the Glasgow lads have that yet.
Deans and OBL are both in super6 23s this weekend...which means Edinburgh released them for De Bruin and Rae/Williams.
robmatic

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm

Deans and OBL are both in super6 23s this weekend...which means Edinburgh released them for De Bruin and Rae/Williams.
So the young props are actually playing this weekend after all?

Seems ideal squad management if they are all playing. The older props need match fitness and the young lads are also picking up gametime.
Biffer

Deans starting for Watsonians, OBL on the bench for Heriots. Is Blyth-Lafferty the absolutely huge fella that ended up not playing for the U20s because he was a few weeks too young?
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

Deans starting for Watsonians, OBL on the bench for Heriots. Is Blyth-Lafferty the absolutely huge fella that ended up not playing for the U20s because he was a few weeks too young?
Yeah, he was selected for the first game in the U20s 6N, but was then withdrawn because he was only 17 and WR recommend you be at least 18.

He apparently played and thrived in the last Super 6 run of games.

I didn’t realise he and Deans were playing elsewhere, as robmatic says it’s good they are all playing.
topofthemoon

Match preview for Glasgow v Sharks:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/analy ... y-battles/

Match preview for Edinburgh v Scarlets:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/analy ... ead-heads/

5 points pretty much a necessity for both sides if they want to maximise how far up the league they finish.

(Introductory offer on Scotland Rugby News is currently £1 for the first 6 months if anyone's still not given it a try!)
I like neeps

robmatic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

So the young props are actually playing this weekend after all?

Seems ideal squad management if they are all playing. The older props need match fitness and the young lads are also picking up gametime.
Not by Edinburgh's design though. The issue is the Edinburgh coaches won't play their academy props in a development fixture.

Luan de Bruin playing is on balance good for the super6. He should be starting loosehead for Sonians and Deans who might by Edinburgh's future should be playing for Edinburgh.

Glasgow could easily have Banatvala playing for Boroughmuir and play Dell instead but they don't. As they're better at development than Edinburgh.
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm
Not by Edinburgh's design though.
Do you know that for sure?
westport

Tonight’s FOSROC Super Series clash at The Greenyards is live on BBC Alba from 7.30pm
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 pm
Not with 100% certainty no, but I'd say 98%. Over the course of the super6 there's been no evidence or rumours that Pro team coaches are involved in franchise team selection - would be odd to start as the comp is disbanded.

Pro clubs decide who gets released to the franchises so Edinburgh could have agreed with Watsonians if they're going to start Currie then we'll start de Bruin. Not likely as (a) why not do it with every other position? and (b) surely it's better for Deans to play games with embra teammates, being managed by embra coaches than Watsonians? The development benefits aren't there. And instead of having OBL on your bench, why have him on the nails bench?

Glasgow aren't doing it, so it's no an SRU edict. Banatvala was starting weekly in the S6, Norrie got good game time with the wolves. I'm sure they will both be running out when the A teams drop out.

As you've said and as is the Edinburgh prop development experience over the last decade. They want a platform, and they don't trust Deans/Jones, I don't think they have academy right heads anymore. OBL is hopefully the future, by the sounds of it a Fagerson level prospect, why have break glass in case of emergency Rae/Williams playing and not OBL with his future teammates under future coaches?
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 pm
Not with 100% certainty no, but I'd say 98%. Over the course of the super6 there's been no evidence or rumours that Pro team coaches are involved in franchise team selection - would be odd to start as the comp is disbanded.

Pro clubs decide who gets released to the franchises so Edinburgh could have agreed with Watsonians if they're going to start Currie then we'll start de Bruin. Not likely as (a) why not do it with every other position? and (b) surely it's better for Deans to play games with embra teammates, being managed by embra coaches than Watsonians? The development benefits aren't there. And instead of having OBL on your bench, why have him on the nails bench?

Glasgow aren't doing it, so it's no an SRU edict. Banatvala was starting weekly in the S6, Norrie got good game time with the wolves. I'm sure they will both be running out when the A teams drop out.

As you've said and as is the Edinburgh prop development experience over the last decade. They want a platform, and they don't trust Deans/Jones, I don't think they have academy right heads anymore. OBL is hopefully the future, by the sounds of it a Fagerson level prospect, why have break glass in case of emergency Rae/Williams playing and not OBL with his future teammates under future coaches?

Whatever the case, let's hope they all go well
KingBlairhorn

The weirdest thing in all that is OBL playing for Heriots. As far as I know he went to Boroughmuir High school and has played for Boroughmuir RFC since minis.
Biffer

On the other hand, if the young lads play for the super 6 teams they'll get six games. If they play for Edinburgh they'll only get 3. I doubt super six coaches would chop and change week to week to accommodate them. So if the intention is to get them more game time, playing for Watsons / Heriots / Boroughmuir may be better.
Biffer

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:53 pm The weirdest thing in all that is OBL playing for Heriots. As far as I know he went to Boroughmuir High school and has played for Boroughmuir RFC since minis.
Pro now, you play where you're told.
KingBlairhorn

Tell you what, Harry Paterson’s wee brother (at least I think they are brothers) Hector is bloody rapid.
KingBlairhorn

That looks a nasty knee injury for Matthews. Not good news for their run in.
Tichtheid

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm Tell you what, Harry Paterson’s wee brother (at least I think they are brothers) Hector is bloody rapid.

No relation I believe, Harry has just the one T, Hector two

Glasgow making a bit of meal of the second half so far
KingBlairhorn

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm Tell you what, Harry Paterson’s wee brother (at least I think they are brothers) Hector is bloody rapid.

No relation I believe, Harry has just the one T, Hector two

Glasgow making a bit of meal of the second half so far
:thumbup:
I like neeps

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm On the other hand, if the young lads play for the super 6 teams they'll get six games. If they play for Edinburgh they'll only get 3. I doubt super six coaches would chop and change week to week to accommodate them. So if the intention is to get them more game time, playing for Watsons / Heriots / Boroughmuir may be better.
Not how it works, they go to the super teams when the A teams drop out. Not a good system, but nevertheless.

The Edinburgh A result is why the super6 failed sadly. Clubs as big as Melrose with as many money making events couldn't make it work.
KingBlairhorn

That Lions result is a proper pain in the arse for Edinburgh.
Biffer

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm
Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm On the other hand, if the young lads play for the super 6 teams they'll get six games. If they play for Edinburgh they'll only get 3. I doubt super six coaches would chop and change week to week to accommodate them. So if the intention is to get them more game time, playing for Watsons / Heriots / Boroughmuir may be better.
Not how it works, they go to the super teams when the A teams drop out. Not a good system, but nevertheless.

The Edinburgh A result is why the super6 failed sadly. Clubs as big as Melrose with as many money making events couldn't make it work.
But it’s not as if the a teams play three games then drop out. They play one week and then not the next. So the coaches are going to be reluctant to change their pack every single week.
Slick

Anyone else have Premier Sports defaulting to the fucking Celtic game? Every time I try and stream it shows the footie. Driving me nuts
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 pm Anyone else have Premier Sports defaulting to the fucking Celtic game? Every time I try and stream it shows the footie. Driving me nuts

Someone was saying similar for a game earlier today on the weedgie board.

To be honest Slick, you're better off not being able to see this, Edinburgh are a very very poor team, good players, but absolutely rank as a rugby team
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 pm
Slick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 pm Anyone else have Premier Sports defaulting to the fucking Celtic game? Every time I try and stream it shows the footie. Driving me nuts

To be honest Slick, you're better off not being able to see this, Edinburgh are a very very poor team, good players, but absolutely rank as a rugby team
Watching it on Viaplay somehow.

It’s either this or try and calm down a 6 year olds first sleepover party. It’s close, but staying with the rugby for a bit
KingBlairhorn

Slick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:34 pm

:shock:
To be honest Slick, you're better :shock: :shock: off not being able to see this, Edinburgh are a very very poor team, good players, but absolutely rank as a rugby team

It’s either this or try and calm down a 6 year olds first sleepover party. It’s close, but staying with the rugby for a bit
I have a 5 year old. I thought I had a few years before sleepovers :eek:
Slick

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:47 pm

:shock:
To be honest Slick, you're better :shock: :shock: off not being able to see this, Edinburgh are a very very poor team, good players, but absolutely rank as a rugby team

So did we, but she decided she wanted a dinner party then sleepover for her birthday …. 2 sets of the other parents have been sending photos of themselves in the pub, the pricks
KingBlairhorn

Slick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 pm

So did we, but she decided she wanted a dinner party then sleepover for her birthday …. 2 sets of the other parents have been sending photos of themselves in the pub, the pricks
:grin: :grin: Top work those parents
KingBlairhorn

I don’t want to worry anyone but Duhan has kicked TWICE in this game, one of which was a chip over the top which he regathered and scored (unfortunately chopped off for a knockon).

If he starts passing too I think the apocalypse might be coming.
Tichtheid

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:08 pm I don’t want to worry anyone but Duhan has kicked TWICE in this game, one of which was a chip over the top which he regathered and scored (unfortunately chopped off for a knockon).

If he starts passing too I think the apocalypse might be coming.
The second half was night and day from the first. If Edinburgh can carry that form on we might get somewhere, but this is with the caveat that Scarlets are very poor and we didn't put them away in the first half because of our own stupid errors.
Tichtheid

:lol:

I don't want to sound like, well whatever this sounds like, but cherish this, all of a sudden they will be finished with college or whatever and have their own lives.

I have no idea where the last 20 years went.
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 pm

:lol:

I don't want to sound like, well whatever this sounds like, but cherish this, all of a sudden they will be finished with college or whatever and have their own lives.

I have no idea where the last 20 years went.
Doesn’t sound like anything but good advice. Already sometimes shocked by how quick it’s going