The Travel Thread

Where goats go to escape
Blackmac

Slick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm Thinking of taking the wife to San Sebastián for her birthday in April but finding it very difficult to find decent flights from Edinburgh. Anyone got any ideas? I presumed you flew into either Bilbao or Biarritz and drove but not really getting anything

Also, recommended restaurants?
As an alternative, we have been to Santander a couple of times from Edinburgh. Brilliant little city.
Slick

Blackmac wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:30 pm
Slick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm Thinking of taking the wife to San Sebastián for her birthday in April but finding it very difficult to find decent flights from Edinburgh. Anyone got any ideas? I presumed you flew into either Bilbao or Biarritz and drove but not really getting anything

Also, recommended restaurants?
As an alternative, we have been to Santander a couple of times from Edinburgh. Brilliant little city.
Was looking at that but think it has to be SS or another country for this trip. Plan to go there though having seen the flight from Edinburgh
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
GogLais

Echoing the above. Went to San Seb, Burgos, Pamplona and Bilbao last September. All good.

Just booked to go to Basle and Strasbourg in September, an excursion to the Alsace vineyards is on the way.
Blackmac

Slick wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:37 am
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 am
Blackmac wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:28 pm We've booked 5 days in Marrakesh in December. We have hired a guide for the first day to get our bearings but any advice would be appreciated.
As you have a few days, take a trip to the High Atlas mountains. They're really not far from Marrakesh.

Maybe lunch here :

https://kasbahtoubkal.com/

This is worth a look if you are in the area :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinmal_Mosque
Yes, 100% do this
Yep, had a great day trip into the Atlas Mountains. We were right in the middle of the Medinah in Marrakesh and if i am being honest it was quite hard work. It was nice to experience the culture and we were there for the WC semi final, but it's not somewhere I would rush back to.
GogLais

Blackmac wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:07 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 am
As you have a few days, take a trip to the High Atlas mountains. They're really not far from Marrakesh.

Maybe lunch here :

https://kasbahtoubkal.com/

This is worth a look if you are in the area :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinmal_Mosque
Yes, 100% do this
Yep, had a great day trip into the Atlas Mountains. We were right in the middle of the Medinah in Marrakesh and if i am being honest it was quite hard work. It was nice to experience the culture and we were there for the WC semi final, but it's not somewhere I would rush back to.
I know it’s a different culture but I quickly became sick to death of being fleeced by taxi drivers, so-called guides, etc.
Slick

GogLais wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:40 pm

Yes, 100% do this
I know it’s a different culture but I quickly became sick to death of being fleeced by taxi drivers, so-called guides, etc.
You should try Tangier 😳. Honestly thought I was getting stabbed there after breaking at the constant hassle and I normally love that stuff
Jim Lahey

Yes, 100% do this
Spent 2 weeks in Morocco in Fez, Rabat, Casablanca and Marrakesh. Can't say I enjoyed much about the place apart from the food, which was awesome.

Took a 15 hour bus journey from Marrakesh to Merzouga in the Sahara for 2 or 3 days, and spent the days in tents in the desert. That was feckin awesome, but hated the rest of the country. As mentioned above, you are always getting fleeced and not friendly toward women.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Blackmac

Yes, 100% do this
Yeah I'm the same, I'm pretty shrewd and balshy enough to talk myself out of most situations but it does get bloody tiresome.
Blackmac

Blackmac wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 pm

Yeah I'm the same, I'm pretty shrewd and balshy enough to talk myself out of most situations but it does get bloody tiresome.
Plus I got bit by a fucking camel which isn't to be recommended. 😂
Slick

Blackmac wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:13 pm
Blackmac wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 pm
Plus I got bit by a fucking camel which isn't to be recommended. 😂
Camels are cunts
Uncle fester

GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:42 pm
Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:03 am
GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:46 am

Approx what age?

6 and 11, both girls. :shock: :wink:
Nothing secret that you wouldn’t find on Google but …
Llandudno has a little pier and you can go up the Great Orme headland by funicular and cable car. Not sure - there might be a traditional Punch and Judy sometimes.
Conwy has the castle and walls and is a nice little town as well.
Ditto for Beaumaris with boat trips from the pier. There’s a butterfly place by Menai Bridge called Pili Palas but I’ve never been there. The Sea Zoo on Anglesey is really good. Fine beaches at Llanddwyn and Rhosneigr.
There are the well known narrow gauge railways. Might be too old for them but there’s some sort of trampoline place in the old slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Any suggestions on a good base for north Wales?
Will be there 30th Oct - 3rd Nov. Ideally within reasonable range of visiting friends in west Liverpool area and maybe Chester Zoo.
mat the expat

Conwy or Colwyn Bay or Llandudno really
Uncle fester

Betws-y-Coed a bit away from sea but looks nice?

8 year old in tow btw.
Sandstorm

Supposed to fly home in an hour from Germany, but BA cancelled my flight home until tomorrow. Oh well, have to get back on the bier and eisbein. :grin:
mat the expat

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:58 pm Betws-y-Coed a bit away from sea but looks nice?

8 year old in tow btw.
It's only 30 - 40 mins drive
Biffer

Spent the week in Matera, Southern Italy for work reasons. Absolutely lovely, would very much recommend it.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:56 pm Spent the week in Matera, Southern Italy for work reasons. Absolutely lovely, would very much recommend it.

Google images look lovely :thumbup:
Hugo

Bump. Not sure if this is the correct thread to use (just did a search) hope so.......

Going to Hanoi in November for a week..... It was a coin toss between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city but we opted for the former given it is more of the traditional, old world Vietnamese city.

If we are there for seven days is it worth doing the train to HCM city given it takes fully 35 hours or would it be better to stay local and do day trips in and around Hanoi? I mean if we do the train to HCM city and back thats fully 70 hours on a train, or three days, on a seven day holiday that doesn't really seem doable.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
Slick

Hugo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:15 pm Bump. Not sure if this is the correct thread to use (just did a search) hope so.......

Going to Hanoi in November for a week..... It was a coin toss between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city but we opted for the former given it is more of the traditional, old world Vietnamese city.

If we are there for seven days is it worth doing the train to HCM city given it takes fully 35 hours or would it be better to stay local and do day trips in and around Hanoi? I mean if we do the train to HCM city and back thats fully 70 hours on a train, or three days, on a seven day holiday that doesn't really seem doable.

Definitely the right choice to pick Hanoi and definitely not worth that trip to SGN on that timeframe when you can get out to Halong Bay and up into the mountains from Hanoi
Hugo

Slick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:21 pm
Hugo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:15 pm Bump. Not sure if this is the correct thread to use (just did a search) hope so.......

Definitely the right choice to pick Hanoi and definitely not worth that trip to SGN on that timeframe when you can get out to Halong Bay and up into the mountains from Hanoi
Thanks Slick, can always depend upon you for travel advice. Was really on the fence about Hanoi/HCM city, you have set my mind at ease. Will keep it local from Hanoi then. :thumbup:
Dinsdale Piranha

Good choice on Hanoi, also a good choice to plan some trips.

You might consider a trip to Hoi An which is about halfway. There are also some very impressive caves at Phong Na if that's your sort of thing.

Sapa is the main tourist town in the mountains. It was getting a little too busy for me last time I was there.
Stranger

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:36 pm

You might consider a trip to Hoi An which is about halfway. There are also some very impressive caves at Phong Na if that's your sort of thing.

Sapa is the main tourist town in the mountains. It was getting a little too busy for me last time I was there.
Hoi An was great when I was there - 22 years ago
Slick

Stranger wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:57 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:36 pm

Hoi An was great when I was there - 22 years ago
It has had a lot of tourist infrastructure put in but is still a really cool place
Glaston

Tràng An, its an Unesco World Heritage site about 100km S of Hanoi.

Cat Ba island in the Haiphong archipelago but looks like its getting very touristy.

I watched a Twitch Travel streamer who recently visited Northern Vietnam , some amazing scenery.
Dinsdale Piranha

Glaston wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:58 pm

Tràng An, its an Unesco World Heritage site about 100km S of Hanoi.

Cat Ba island in the Haiphong archipelago but looks like its getting very touristy.

I watched a Twitch Travel streamer who recently visited Northern Vietnam , some amazing scenery.
Rest day on my last trip to NE Vietnam.

Hugo

Great advice for Vietnam, thanks all.

Quick question on Paris, Versailles and the Eiffel Tower. Taking my daughter and mum and was wondering if its worth buying tickets for both places far in advance?

We will be in Paris in August and would rather get tickets in advance so that it is all booked up but I also think it might be better to just play it by ear. Versailles in particular only give you a 30 minute window in order to enter (based on the time you booked) and that to me seems too restricting.
Sandstorm

Hugo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:22 pm Great advice for Vietnam, thanks all.

Quick question on Paris, Versailles and the Eiffel Tower. Taking my daughter and mum and was wondering if its worth buying tickets for both places far in advance?

We will be in Paris in August and would rather get tickets in advance so that it is all booked up but I also think it might be better to just play it by ear. Versailles in particular only give you a 30 minute window in order to enter (based on the time you booked) and that to me seems too restricting.
ALWAYS buy tickets in advance for attractions in Europe in August! Queues will be insane and having timed entry tickets will save you hours. Showing up on the day, you probably won't even get in.
Simian

Sandstorm wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:39 am

ALWAYS buy tickets in advance for attractions in Europe in August! Queues will be insane and having timed entry tickets will save you hours. Showing up on the day, you probably won't even get in.
totally
petej

Simian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm

totally
Suspect it will be mental as in early August Paris has the Olympics.
laurent

petej wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:46 pm

totally
Suspect it will be mentaler as in early August Paris has the Olympics.
fixed
petej

laurent wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:11 pm

totally
fixed
:lol: :clap: I was surprised nobody else had mentioned it tbh.
assfly

Next year on my way to the UK with the family I'm stopping via Frankfurt. Thinking of taking a few days to see the city and surrounding areas. Anywhere notable worth looking at? Or should I get the train down to Munich instead?
mat the expat

assfly wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am Next year on my way to the UK with the family I'm stopping via Frankfurt. Thinking of taking a few days to see the city and surrounding areas. Anywhere notable worth looking at? Or should I get the train down to Munich instead?
Go to the old town across the river - it's full of great places for Pork Knuckle and other food

Don't fall off a train like I did :shock:
Blackmac

assfly wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am Next year on my way to the UK with the family I'm stopping via Frankfurt. Thinking of taking a few days to see the city and surrounding areas. Anywhere notable worth looking at? Or should I get the train down to Munich instead?
I'd have to say that I really didn't enjoy Munich. I know, Oktoberfest etc, but otherwise we felt it is a very drab, dour city.
Hugo

The only place I have been in Germany was the Mosselle valley, on a school trip in 1992. Of course it been 30+ years but I remember it being a very nice part of the world.
Hugo

petej wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:27 pm
laurent wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:11 pm

fixed
:lol: :clap: I was surprised nobody else had mentioned it tbh.
Thanks all. Yes, we have purposefully booked Paris for the Monday after the Olympics ends. My mum has never been and we are going via Eurostar. Very excited!
Slick

Hugo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:10 pm The only place I have been in Germany was the Mosselle valley, on a school trip in 1992. Of course it been 30+ years but I remember it being a very nice part of the world.
It’s a country I’d love to see more of having really enjoyed Hamburg and really, really enjoyed Berlin (if that’s the right word for Berlin….). Trouble is I also know there are many other places I’d rather go
Dinsdale Piranha

Slick wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:30 pm
Hugo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:10 pm The only place I have been in Germany was the Mosselle valley, on a school trip in 1992. Of course it been 30+ years but I remember it being a very nice part of the world.
It’s a country I’d love to see more of having really enjoyed Hamburg and really, really enjoyed Berlin (if that’s the right word for Berlin….). Trouble is I also know there are many other places I’d rather go
I have been to Germany many times - I go most years, often Bavaria but further North as well. Berlin a couple of times. Cologne and the Ruhr frequently.

I keep going back because I keep having a good experience when I visit.
Simian

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:53 pm
Slick wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:30 pm
I have been to Germany many times - I go most years, often Bavaria but further North as well. Berlin a couple of times. Cologne and the Ruhr frequently.

I keep going back because I keep having a good experience when I visit.
Same. Though I must admit that like the south a lot more than the north, tbh.