SA Schoolboy and club sport

Where goats go to escape
Chilli

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:06 am
Sandstorm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 pm Wynberg fees R65k a year. My parents paid just R120.00 per year in the late 80s. Even with inflation that’s an incredible increase for a State School’s fees!!
After they change to model C , the fees jump a lot. The schools that grow the most nowadays is Curro.

Value for money is Grey Bloem and the Winelands lot.
Ja, Grey Bloem is a bargain.
OomStruisbaai

Chilli wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:25 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:06 am
Sandstorm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 pm Wynberg fees R65k a year. My parents paid just R120.00 per year in the late 80s. Even with inflation that’s an incredible increase for a State School’s fees!!
After they change to model C , the fees jump a lot. The schools that grow the most nowadays is Curro.

Value for money is Grey Bloem and the Winelands lot.
Ja, Grey Bloem is a bargain.
However they are kak with academy, Ranked 51, even the Drosdy Donkeys beat them.

Sards

Changing clubs was a big thing for my 10 year old. One thing I have realized. He is a very loyal person. It took him a year to break up with his " girlfriend ". And never entertained advances on him in that time. Same with clubs. He hung onto his old club until he finished the season. When we discovered a Crack in his bats handle, we bought him a new bar. He still loves to keep his old bat around and played a few weeks with it before letting go.
Now fully integrated into Edgemead under 11s he is still struggling to let go of his old club friends. But in time he will feel a lot better. He was asked to join as opening bat. Something he has always been. But you know the kids. They have really been testing him at practice etc. And the parents are worse. " My kid is ready to join the openers ". That kind of crap. On the weekend my son shut them all up at a friendly. 2 wickets in 2 overs and some beautiful boundaries and a big 6. That guy that's been pushing his kid for opening just realized that his kid still has some growth ahead . I am sooo over cricket politics. It's why we moved from the old club. We just want to play cricket. Not interested in politics. You always get that one parent. He approached me after and said we should make a separate wattsap group for the parents of the better players only....WTF......so over this shite
Sards

What the hell is going on with cricket in the Cape.
Firstly Milnerton high canceled all Saturdays matches because the opposition couldn't field full teams. Then my youngests match against Fish Hoek canceled this morning for same reasons. So they played an internal match. Now my eldest got confirmation that the T20 match tomorrow against Victoria called off for same reason.

Are the kids losing interest in cricket
OomStruisbaai

No they play against kak schools/clubs.
Sards

What a weekend......
Friday my eldest played a night match that finished at 8.30 pm.
We were at Durbanville from 2.30 pm for a big bash tournament with the youngster and only finished at 8.30pm as well...just enough time to fetch the eldest after his match.
Eldest won their match and the youngster opened for his team in 3 matches , batting right through in 2 , and only getting 10 odd in his final match getting caught. They won 3 from 3 and lost in the semi final...the game my son went out for 10...against Somerset Strikers , who bowled beautifully....frustrating our players.
Sunday we were at Edgemead for the finals of the Sunday Smash leauge for the eldest...Won their Semi final and in a thriller went down to Edgemead in the final in the last over....that started 08.30 and ended at 6pm.

Slept like a baby last night but yawning away at work.
Later this month we start the CPL leauge with my youngster. Thats sunday matches.

But for now at least our friday nights are free
Sards

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:41 am No they play against kak schools/clubs.
Its actually a bigger problem than you think. Clubs are struggling to fill sides with quality players.
Durbanville is one of the strongest clubs our side of the curtain. They have 5 under 11 sides . Most other clubs are struggling to put a team together without the help of under 10s.
Thats one of the main reasons we moved from Sunningdale to Edgemead. Edgemead destroyed the 2 Durbanville sides in the Big Bash last weekend. Sunningdale lost all their matches , including against us where we gave them a spanking. At the semi final we had kids from other clubs coming to ask if there was a possibility of joining Edgemead because they were fed up with their clubs. We managed to lure a decent all rounder to join our CPL side we are putting together.
OomStruisbaai

First win for Wynberg since 1988 vs Paarl Boys..

Sandy will enjoy this.
Sandstorm

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm First win for Wynberg since 1988 vs Paarl Boys..

Sandy will enjoy this.
I was at the game. :thumbup:
OomStruisbaai

Sandstorm wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:12 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm First win for Wynberg since 1988 vs Paarl Boys..

Sandy will enjoy this.
I was at the game. :thumbup:
Were you in Brug Street? I drove past on my way to Somerset. Visited my ousus.
Sards

Just when we thought we were done with cricket for awhile my youngest gets selected as opening bat for the under 11 CPL tournament starting the 19 June. Every Sunday for 5 weeks.
OomStruisbaai

Paarl is bleeding after the weekend. Paarl Gim lost vs Grey College and Paarl Boishaai vs Paul Roos.

Sards

Milnerton beat Bishops. Something special happening at Milnerton
Sards

One month till the start of the under 11s Cape Premier League . They will be doing 2 sessions a week preparation. I day fielding and 1 day nets....besides the private coaching the boys get. At yesterday's session the boys were rusty but quickly got into the rhythm. And are very amped for the tournament. We got in a fairly decent batsman and bowler, but very good fielder from my sons old club , they all want to follow my son , so we have a team with batting depth now. It's very exciting being part of this.
OomStruisbaai

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm Paarl is bleeding after the weekend. Paarl Gim lost vs Grey College and Paarl Boishaai vs Paul Roos.

It was the first Gim vs Grey interschools. They usually only meet in festivals.

Paul Roos vs Paarl Boys had 29 matches from u14-19. Paarl Boys only won 8. In the past it use to be the other way round. Credit to Corne Uys building a strong structure which take years to achieve at schools level.
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:53 pm Milnerton beat Bishops. Something special happening at Milnerton
Didn't they also beat Rondebosch? DDA must be very pleased.
Sards

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 am
Sards wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:53 pm Milnerton beat Bishops. Something special happening at Milnerton
Didn't they also beat Rondebosch? DDA must be very pleased.
On a roll.....unbeaten
Sards

Milnerton high 1st continues their winning streak against Bellville 1st. 29 - 28
OomStruisbaai

Watched the Grey High vs Paul Roos game. The wind was hectic but the good guys stay unbeaten and top ranked in SA.
Sards

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:43 pm Watched the Grey High vs Paul Roos game. The wind was hectic but the good guys stay unbeaten and top ranked in SA.
Milnerton doesn't have the resources that the top schools have....but they are coming for them. Moved from 63rd to 49th on the log
Sards

Eisch
OomStruisbaai

Millerton lost to Boland Landbou and St Charles
Sards

OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 pm Millerton lost to Boland Landbou and St Charles
I am not sure about that. Read in the wattsap group that they are unbeaten.
They play Tygerberg this weekend. These boys have a huge target on their backs now because of all the press they are getting.
Unfortunately behind the scenes there has been some drama. We are keeping tight about it because we don't want to distract the boys. But I would be surprised if they run out with the same spirit as before. In fact, they may even throw the game as a sign of protest. Or they get galvanized. We wait and see.
OomStruisbaai

Sards wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:40 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 pm Millerton lost to Boland Landbou and St Charles
I am not sure about that. Read in the wattsap group that they are unbeaten.
They play Tygerberg this weekend. These boys have a huge target on their backs now because of all the press they are getting.
Unfortunately behind the scenes there has been some drama. We are keeping tight about it because we don't want to distract the boys. But I would be surprised if they run out with the same spirit as before. In fact, they may even throw the game as a sign of protest. Or they get galvanized. We wait and see.
I am sure of it.

Lost vs Boland Landbou on 9 March 29-18, against St Charles 25-19 on 15 March.

Millerton have post matrics in their team and some schools boycott this.
OomStruisbaai

St Charles is a KZN school , so it gives you bragging rights at Millerton. Just be careful at the Visvoete. Common lot.
OomStruisbaai

Paul Roos vs Maritzburg College now on 216
OomStruisbaai

Paul Roos 48-0
Top ranked in rugby & nr 4 in hockey.

Their clash against Paarl Gim in two weeks in Paarl will be vital to stay nr1.
Sards

Milnerton smashed Tygerberg 80 something