The best new and returning TV series thread

Where goats go to escape
Marylandolorian

Biffer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:14 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:57 am We've enjoyed 3 Body Problem so far, and it's not the sort of thing my wife would go for at all. It's nonsense of course, but fun I think.
I will watch it at some point. I read the first two books as I'm a bit of a sci fi guy, but the issue I had with them is, well a bit science nerdy. Normally for Big space opera type sci fi you can legit push the boundaries of physics and what we know, :shock: and then hypothesise stuff that might happen on top of it. But in the Three Body problem it seemed to me there was some stuff that was just flat wrong, contrary to known stuff. For example, warp speed, wormhole travel etc all are bullshit but hypothesise on known aspects of space time, that it can curve, that if we could create negative energy we'd be able to create highly curved bubbles of space time etc. It stretches the boundaries of known science without just saying 'fuck'em' and throwing it all out for something excessively handwavy. And yes I'm sure there are other examples of stuff that breaks physics completely, but this one jarred with me for some reason.
We liked it too, my wife wants to buy the books series :shock: , Interesting article, it shows that the writer understood physic and astronomy

https://www.vox.com/culture/24108638/3- ... real-is-it
Biffer

Marylandolorian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:57 am We've enjoyed 3 Body Problem so far, and it's not the sort of thing my wife would go for at all. It's nonsense of course, but fun I think.
I will watch it at some point. I read the first two books as I'm a bit of a sci fi guy, but the issue I had with them is, well a bit science nerdy. Normally for Big space opera type sci fi you can legit push the boundaries of physics and what we know, :shock: and then hypothesise stuff that might happen on top of it. But in the Three Body problem it seemed to me there was some stuff that was just flat wrong, contrary to known stuff. For example, warp speed, wormhole travel etc all are bullshit but hypothesise on known aspects of space time, that it can curve, that if we could create negative energy we'd be able to create highly curved bubbles of space time etc. It stretches the boundaries of known science without just saying 'fuck'em' and throwing it all out for something excessively handwavy. And yes I'm sure there are other examples of stuff that breaks physics completely, but this one jarred with me for some reason.
We liked it too, my wife wants to buy the books series :shock: , Interesting article, it shows that the writer understood physic and astronomy

Like I say, some of it is reasonably legit, but other parts of it aren't. The quantum entanglement comms thing is one that I believe there is some debate about as it breaks a fundamental law of physics. That article talks about the stuff that's well planned out, but doesn't talk about some of the other stuff that's not.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Sandstorm

Roadhouse 2024.

Just. Don't.
Raggs

Sandstorm wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:45 pm Roadhouse 2024.

Just. Don't.
It's pretty awful right. Doesn't really get to the funny awful level either.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
sockwithaticket

Shame, I like Jake Gyllenhaal and Daniela Melchior (for different reasons...). Was hoping it might be watchable at least.
Insane_Homer

Biffer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:27 pm Like I say, some of it is reasonably legit, but other parts of it aren't. The quantum entanglement comms thing is one that I believe there is some debate about as it breaks a fundamental law of physics. That article talks about the stuff that's well planned out, but doesn't talk about some of the other stuff that's not.
A couple of episodes...

Pointing a radio telescope directly at the middle of the sun to amplify the signal :crazy: Point it to the side to make use of gravitational lensing, would've been slightly more plausible.
And using binoculars to point a state-of-the-art radio telescope and then look directly at the sun with them... Trump level stupid.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Biffer

I don’t normally watch reality TV, but I liked the idea of The Underdog: Josh Must Win. Contestants think they’re competing to win a show called The Favourite, basically a popularity contest, but there’s no public vote. Instead they’re being manipulated by a celeb panel to try and make the slightly dorky, nerdy guy the most popular in the house. It’s a wee bit twisted and has been good so far.
sturginho

Marylandolorian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 pm

If I dehydrate myself, can I rehydrate myself later and be fine?
Adam West did it, so I don't see why not
Uncle fester

Fallout coming on Amazon prime.
Looks like it might be decent.
vball

I watched first episode of A Gentleman in Moscow. A really superb book and the TV show seems to be quiet near it.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Jim Lahey

Started watching the Greg Lemond documentary on Sky the other day. Great show, if you are into cycling.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Biffer

Having watched the first couple of episodes I’ve remembered what annoyed me so much - the idea that if all the particle accelerators in the world started giving results that are contrary to theory, physicists all over the world would start crying into their porridge that their theories were broken and commit suicide. That’s diametrically opposite from what would actually happen. They’d be sick with excitement, and throwing all sorts of new theories out about why their new bs is better than someone else’s. They dream of everything going wrong, that’s what they want!
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:16 am
Having watched the first couple of episodes I’ve remembered what annoyed me so much - the idea that if all the particle accelerators in the world started giving results that are contrary to theory, physicists all over the world would start crying into their porridge that their theories were broken and commit suicide. That’s diametrically opposite from what would actually happen. They’d be sick with excitement, and throwing all sorts of new theories out about why their new bs is better than someone else’s. They dream of everything going wrong, that’s what they want!

I thought the scientists were forced into suicide by the aliens? I thought the idea was that because it was going to take four hundred years to get to earth they realised humanity would have developed technology beyond their own by that time and took preemptive action.

Tbh I didn’t give it too much thought.
Biffer

Tichtheid wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:40 am

I thought the scientists were forced into suicide by the aliens? I thought the idea was that because it was going to take four hundred years to get to earth they realised humanity would have developed technology beyond their own by that time and took preemptive action.

Nah, this is right at the start before they know about them
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:22 am

It's right at the start when the main character Doc, the one who is developing the super strong nano thread, sees the countdown to her life ending, it goes away when she pulls the plug on the programme. Others have already topped themselves.
Insane_Homer

Really enjoying Shogun, 5 episodes in

Sugar first episode intriguing so far 👍

3 Bodies was a bit meh.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Biffer

Tichtheid wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 am
Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:22 am

It's right at the start when the main character Doc, the one who is developing the super strong nano thread, sees the countdown to her life ending, it goes away when she pulls the plug on the programme. Others have already topped themselves.
But there's also this idea knocking around the theoretical physics community that physics is broken because all the particle accelerators across the planet have started giving odd results and they're all depressed about it. They wouldn't be, they'd be incredibly excited.
Biffer

Renegade Nell on Disney is good fun. Stars the lass who played Orla (the thick one) in Derry Girls, and she really carries it, she's excellent.
Gumboot

I quite liked the latest moody noir monochrome remake of Ripley, but by god it's sloooow.

Only got about an hour into Fallout before bailing.

The Last of Us did nothing for me, either. About the only thing I remember was the pretty good gay couple episode, but didn't get much further than that. Guess these computer game adaptations just ain't my thang.
Uncle fester

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:48 am Really enjoying Shogun, 5 episodes in

3 Bodies was a bit meh.
Shogun looks great so far. Helps that I'm a history dork re that period.
mat the expat

Fallout was excellent!

Started the Gentlemen. It's good but not the same intensity as I'd expect
Sandstorm

Clarkson’s Farm 3. If episode 4 doesn’t break your heart, you’re probably dead.
sefton

Sandstorm wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:18 pm Clarkson’s Farm 3. If episode 4 doesn’t break your heart, you’re probably dead.
Does Clarkson survive?
yermum

sefton wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:25 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:18 pm Clarkson’s Farm 3. If episode 4 doesn’t break your heart, you’re probably dead.
Does Clarkson survive?
lol
fishfoodie

The thing that bothers me is that you have to ask yourself if things that are entirely foreseeable, & preventable, are allowed to happen because they're "good for ratings" !

It's what makes reality TV such a disgusting genre; TV execs stuff reality programs with people with mental health issues, & stoke up conflict, because if everyone gets along, the ratings are shit, so they put their thumbs on the scale.

Now watch that episode again & ask yourself if things happened because that's exactly what some people wanted !!
vball

re Clarkson's Farm ....
I watched it and it was pretty harrowing (as the title suggests). I watched Countryfile last night and two young farmers were shown with still born lambs. They knew their stuff but it does still happen.

If you are saying Clarkson's Farm was setup to ensure that happened, I cannot back you on that. If you are saying they let them try it out and knew there is a good chance things might go wrong and we will record it, I can go along with it. Jezza and his partner did seem genuinely upset - I do not think that was acting.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
fishfoodie

vball wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 pm re Clarkson's Farm ....
I watched it and it was pretty harrowing (as the title suggests). I watched Countryfile last night and two young farmers were shown with still born lambs. They knew their stuff but it does still happen.

If you are saying Clarkson's Farm was setup to ensure that happened, I cannot back you on that. If you are saying they let them try it out and knew there is a good chance things might go wrong and we will record it, I can go along with it. Jezza and his partner did seem genuinely upset - I do not think that was acting.
This !

I think anyone with a modicum of sense will do their research & work out what they're signing up for before they take on rearing pigs, or any other animal. In this case 5 minutes of chatting with the person you buy the sows off of would have told them the issues.

I'm sure they were upset, its pretty obvious they treat their livestock like pets, & I can relate to that, I'm sure I'd be the same.
Slick

Uncle fester wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:46 pm
Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:48 am Really enjoying Shogun, 5 episodes in

3 Bodies was a bit meh.
Yeah, really great. 2 episodes to go and not sure how they are going to fit in what I think must be coming!
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Uncle fester

Slick wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:16 pm

3 Bodies was a bit meh.
Yeah, really great. 2 episodes to go and not sure how they are going to fit in what I think must be coming!
We're at same point. Helps that I read the books so long ago that I don't know the specifics but I know a reasonable amount about the history so have a good idea where it will end up.

The episodes are proper slow burners but gripping stuff.
Slick

Uncle fester wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:27 pm
Slick wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:16 pm

We're at same point. Helps that I read the books so long ago that I don't know the specifics but I know a reasonable amount about the history so have a good idea where it will end up.

The episodes are proper slow burners but gripping stuff.
Yeah, it’s incredibly gripping even when it seems not a lot is happening, then you realise a massive amount has happened!
All the money you made will never buy back your soul