The Official English Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
inactionman

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:32 pm Leicester confirm the players leaving at the end of the season:
Phil Cokanasiga
Nic Dolly
Guy Porter
Joe Powell
Dan Richardson
Matt Scott
Jasper Wiese
Mike Williams
Ben Woollett
Francois van Wyk
Van Wyk signed up at Bath for 2 years.

Van Graan is very keen to get a powerful tight 5 and dynamic back row - also signed Ross Maloney from Leinster.

Eta - also signed Guy Pepper from Newcastle, I'm actually a bit sad to see Newcastle being pilfered of their better/more promising players but that's sadly the professional way. I don't know huge amounts about him but he seems to be highly rated and represented England U20s.
Tichtheid

I'm surprised they let Wiese go unless it's for financial reasons, he must have had a very good offer from elsewhere.
JM2K6

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 am I'm surprised they let Wiese go unless it's for financial reasons, he must have had a very good offer from elsewhere.
99% sure he's going to Stade Francais. His departure was known back in December so clearly just being signed by someone else, probably for a lot more money.
duke

inactionman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:32 pm Leicester confirm the players leaving at the end of the season:
Phil Cokanasiga
Nic Dolly
Guy Porter
Joe Powell
Dan Richardson
Matt Scott
Jasper Wiese
Mike Williams
Ben Woollett
Francois van Wyk
Van Wyk signed up at Bath for 2 years.

Van Graan is very keen to get a powerful tight 5 and dynamic back row - also signed Ross Maloney from Leinster.

Eta - also signed Guy Pepper from Newcastle, I'm actually a bit sad to see Newcastle being pilfered of their better/more promising players but that's sadly the professional way. I don't know huge amounts about him but he seems to be highly rated and represented England U20s.
This will definitely be me showing my age but I remember watching his Dad captaining England U20's decades ago.
Rhubarb & Custard

If you go a really long way back can you confirm at some point gouging wasn't allowed?
Oxbow

Oh Joy, Kay and Healy again for a Saints v Tigers derby. Every f*cking time.
sockwithaticket

Saints looked the better team in the first half, but weren't making things stick. Much better in the second. I suspect the rugby press will make a lot of Tigers' cards, but Northampton have had their own yellows to contend with and just look like they have a lot more to say in attack than a pretty limited Leicester team.
Oxbow

Two things. Langdon is the best hooker in the Premiership at the moment, and Hassell-Collins is absolute shite these days.
SaintK

Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:59 pm Two things. Langdon is the best hooker in the Premiership at the moment, and Hassell-Collins is absolute shite these days.
Langdon has been an inspired signing
Thought Fin Smith was excellent when he came on
sockwithaticket

Smith and Freeman coming on, plus the restoration of Furbank to fullback, really twisted the knife.
JM2K6

I noticed this during England's shellacking of Portugal, but Hodge is an absolute crowbar. Incredibly greedy player.
JM2K6

Think Exeter have been quite unlucky with this ref. But Hodge has been their biggest problem for sure.
ASMO

Oxbow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:59 pm Two things. Langdon is the best hooker in the Premiership at the moment, and Hassell-Collins is absolute shite these days.
He got run down from behind by Smith, i thought OHC had gas?
JM2K6

He's looked pretty slow this season. Did he get an injury?

The Sale v Quins game started off looking like another hiding and ended up being a classic. Some superb tries by both sides and credit to Quins for showing a huge amount of heart to scrap their way back into that game. Could have won it at the death. Good win for Sale though.

Enjoyed seeing Murley gas the sub O'Flaherty then completely do Ford to set up Northmore for the second bonus point a few minutes from time. His pace always surprises me.

Bevan Rodd and Dugdale were superb for Sale in the pack, and Aaron Reed produced a couple of world class finishes IMO.
Tichtheid

Poor Newcastle, I watched Bristol's semi-opposed run out yesterday. The Toon's 14 points came from two gifts of interception passes, the first from Sinkler was really bad.

Otherwise Bristol were having fun running about playing sevens in the sun, it was actually quite sad to watch.

85-14
Margin__Walker

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:52 am Poor Newcastle, I watched Bristol's semi-opposed run out yesterday. The Toon's 14 points came from two gifts of interception passes, the first from Sinkler was really bad.

Otherwise Bristol were having fun running about playing sevens in the sun, it was actually quite sad to watch.

85-14
It was a pretty absurd capitulation by Newcastle. Most Championship teams would have put up more of a fight.

Clearly a difference in resources, but that's no excuse for conceding 40+ clean breaks and c.1300 carrying metres for Bristol.

Guess they are praying for that Saudi money and a few players have checked out to an extent.
Margin__Walker

OHC's never been super quick as wings go. Relied on his strength and balance (for a big guy).

Looks off the pace at the moment though.
Brazil

JM2K6 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:47 am He's looked pretty slow this season. Did he get an injury?

The Sale v Quins game started off looking like another hiding and ended up being a classic. Some superb tries by both sides and credit to Quins for showing a huge amount of heart to scrap their way back into that game. Could have won it at the death. Good win for Sale though.

Enjoyed seeing Murley gas the sub O'Flaherty then completely do Ford to set up Northmore for the second bonus point a few minutes from time. His pace always surprises me.

Bevan Rodd and Dugdale were superb for Sale in the pack, and Aaron Reed produced a couple of world class finishes IMO.
It was a really enjoyable match, with some magnificent tries, as you say. One thing that the Sale fans have picked up on is our lack of place compared to Quins, though I don't think that's wholly fair (Murley is rapid and arguably should have been in the England frame more than he has been, though it's not like we're without options on the wings). Funny thing about O'Flaherty is that whilst he was gassed on the outside, he massively improved things with his kick chase and lines when he came on. Nice to see Raffi back as well, hopefully he'll grow in confidence, as he could've sniped much more than he did yesterday.

My only gripe about the game was side-entry into rucks, there was an absolutely hilarious one by smith where he practically joined from our side of the breakdown, but such is life.

It's going to be an interesting run in to the play offs, that's for sure.
JM2K6

Yup until that moment, O'Flaherty looked possibly the sharpest winger on the pitch.

Twice during the game Quins allowed poor high balls to end up in Sale hands - it's almost as if they have a great plan for when it's a good kick but if it's far too short no one knows what to do. Quite a funny example of how drills can backfire.

Marcus' kiwi style clean out was very funny. Mind you, how Curry escaped a yellow and PT for illegally tackling Riley a yard from the line on a maul had me practically throwing things at the TV - I reviewed it in the assumption he was fine then couldn't believe what I saw. Both sides enjoyed the chaos at the ruck at different times and I will grudgingly admit it led to an excellent game as a result. Every time I got grumpy at a decision, quins then benefited from almost exactly the same thing.

Bet you were nervous in the last five minutes!
inactionman

Enjoyed the Bath game

Exeter do look a touch one-dimensional and they're not quite as fearsome from 5 yards as they once were. Bath's defence held them out a fair few times.

I thought Orlando Bailey had a decent outing, some missed kick passes but good decisions and good hands, so good to know he can step up to cover Russell's injury absence. Barbeary really is powerful - the back row in general is looking very tidy.
JM2K6

Exeter would have had a couple more if Hodge had any interest in passing the ball.
inactionman

JM2K6 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:20 am Exeter would have had a couple more if Hodge had any interest in passing the ball.
They weren't quite walk-ins, but he certainly botched more than one clear overlap.

The more curious bit was how often they coughed up possession from a few metres out with silly knock-ons or penalties. Most unlike relatively recent vintage Exeter.
Brazil

JM2K6 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:07 am Yup until that moment, O'Flaherty looked possibly the sharpest winger on the pitch.

Twice during the game Quins allowed poor high balls to end up in Sale hands - it's almost as if they have a great plan for when it's a good kick but if it's far too short no one knows what to do. Quite a funny example of how drills can backfire.

Marcus' kiwi style clean out was very funny. Mind you, how Curry escaped a yellow and PT for illegally tackling Riley a yard from the line on a maul had me practically throwing things at the TV - I reviewed it in the assumption he was fine then couldn't believe what I saw. Both sides enjoyed the chaos at the ruck at different times and I will grudgingly admit it led to an excellent game as a result. Every time I got grumpy at a decision, quins then benefited from almost exactly the same thing.

Given the possibility of Sale blowing it, and the possibility of my son murdering me for Sale having had the temerity to beat Harlequins, yes, it was a touch tense.
geordie_6

inactionman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:16 am Enjoyed the Bath game

Exeter do look a touch one-dimensional and they're not quite as fearsome from 5 yards as they once were. Bath's defence held them out a fair few times.

I thought Orlando Bailey had a decent outing, some missed kick passes but good decisions and good hands, so good to know he can step up to cover Russell's injury absence. Barbeary really is powerful - the back row in general is looking very tidy.
Good to see Ojomoh/Lawrence as well. Like to see that combo for England at somepoint.
JM2K6

Brazil wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:13 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:07 am Yup until that moment, O'Flaherty looked possibly the sharpest winger on the pitch.

Given the possibility of Sale blowing it, and the possibility of my son murdering me for Sale having had the temerity to beat Harlequins, yes, it was a touch tense.
Just remind him of the aggregate score and he'll put the knives down
SaintK

geordie_6 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:04 pm

Good to see Ojomoh/Lawrence as well. Like to see that combo for England at somepoint.
The combo took a little while to settle down without Russell pulling the strings I thought. But worked well together
Tichtheid

Bit of transfer news - Magnus Bradbury is leaving Bristol and rejoining Edinburgh. He'll possibly meet up with Bill Mata at a service station on the M6 as Big Bill heads the other way.
SaintK

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 am Bit of transfer news - Magnus Bradbury is leaving Bristol and rejoining Edinburgh. He'll possibly meet up with Bill Mata at a service station on the M6 as Big Bill heads the other way.
Been playing well when I've watched Briz and he's been selected.
geordie_6

SaintK wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am

The combo took a little while to settle down without Russell pulling the strings I thought. But worked well together
I don't think they've had that much time together either, relatively speaking.
sockwithaticket

geordie_6 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:35 pm

It's mostly been Russell - Redpath - Lawrence as a midfield this season I think.
inactionman

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 pm
geordie_6 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:35 pm
It's mostly been Russell - Redpath - Lawrence as a midfield this season I think.
It's been a bit mix and match but that is generally the preferred midfield. Interestingly I seem to recall setting up with Lawrence 12/Ojomoh 13 in some matches and vice versa in others.

Prior to this I was worried about Ojomoh getting a bit stuck behind Redpath, due to being a year junior and also the fact Redpath is a fine player and established international, but this shows the good fortune in having some very good young centres in the squad.
inactionman

Regan Grace has been rehabilitating with Bath, now signed on for 2024-25 season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... wx0epnjdxo

Exciting player. It's a horrible injury for a winger so hoping he's recovered. Wales could do with some talent coming back into the squad as as well.
JM2K6

Hands up everyone who's surprised that Luke Pearce's determination to force teams to use the ball at the ruck just turned out to be performative
JM2K6

Farrell repeatedly bitching at the ref for stopping play thanks to a bad head injury suffered by a Bath player... As Pearce said, not a good look
Tichtheid

That offside penalty could easily have gone the other way for sealing off at the previous ruck
JM2K6

Pretty terrible game. Right team won it.
Paddington Bear

Slow burner of a game but that’s an enormous win
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
inactionman

Bah. I was all set for a barnstorming last minute winner but someone greased the ball.

All a bit too cagey, which is unfortunate from a Bath perspective as you'd always back Sarries in that sort of match - they don't make many mistakes. Bath looked to have a decent amount of success when running at Sarries, both tight and wide, and I don't recall many Sarries turnovers at the ruck, but hampered by a fair few errors and misplaced passes which they can't quite seem to cut out. The line-out was a problem all game, Dunn looked like he'd steadied ship after Annett couldn't hit his jumpers but Sarries did a great job pinching Bath lineout ball all game.

6-2 bench hurt Bath when they ended up with 2 9s on the pitch yet again, although unfortunate Bailey's injury happened after Ojomoh had been subbed for Redpath.

I usually find the Farrell love-ins by commentators a but overblown, but I thought he was worthy of the praise last night - very composed. Needs to keep his gob shut when players are hurt though.

Thomas du Toit has been an excellent signing, both in set piece and loose. Bath are just leagues ahead of where they were a season and a half ago (a very low bar, admittedly)
Oxbow

Great decision from former Quins scrum half Dickson that.
Deveron Boy

Ref and(esp) TMO have been shambles in this game, tm Karl Dickson