The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
dpedin

Well that's my Embra course closed again due to being waterlogged! We had to cancel the opening day scramble last Saturday and the Tri-am this coming Saturday is looking dodgy as well with more wet weather forecast tomorrow. Water table is now so high any heavy rain is just causing more flooding and not allowing the course to drain. It is also feckin freezing and slowing down any spring growth. Fortunately I'm a member of Kilspindie so off down there today for a game but it will be chilly with an Easterly wind. Shorts have remained in cupboard for another week, they usually are mandatory from Easter but only lasted a few days. I am now officially pissed off!
TedMaul

Crap down south too. So I’m coming your way!
I’m balloted on the Old tomorrow afternoon then Elie on Saturday and Castle Sunday.
Dinner at the East Pier Smokehouse. Scotland ♥️
dpedin

TedMaul wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:56 am Crap down south too. So I’m coming your way!
I’m balloted on the Old tomorrow afternoon then Elie on Saturday and Castle Sunday.
That's a cracking line up of courses - easiest one being the Old Course! Elie is fun but I played it a long time ago, the Castle course is probably the hardest and has very tricky greens, don't leave your ball above the pin. Never eaten in the Smokehouse so will look forward to the reviews.

I had a beautiful day at Kilspindie on Thursday afternoon, course busy. Craigielaw next door was shut due to waterlogged fairways but we had no problems. However got alert this morning that Kilspindie was shut until lunchtime due to volume of rain and lying water. We have had tons of rain here but next week looking better.
TedMaul

dpedin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:13 pm
TedMaul wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:56 am Crap down south too. So I’m coming your way!
That's a cracking line up of courses - easiest one being the Old Course! Elie is fun but I played it a long time ago, the Castle course is probably the hardest and has very tricky greens, don't leave your ball above the pin. Never eaten in the Smokehouse so will look forward to the reviews.

I had a beautiful day at Kilspindie on Thursday afternoon, course busy. Craigielaw next door was shut due to waterlogged fairways but we had no problems. However got alert this morning that Kilspindie was shut until lunchtime due to volume of rain and lying water. We have had tons of rain here but next week looking better.
So bloody cold too! Dinner at Steak Barn shortly sounds fantastic.
fishfoodie

Masters could have a tasty start this year, with >1" of rain being forecast for Thursday, & very gusty conditions, with >40mph gusts, which are something the yanks probably consider hurricane conditions !
Blackmac

fishfoodie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:32 pm Masters could have a tasty start this year, with >1" of rain being forecast for Thursday, & very gusty conditions, with >40mph gusts, which are something the yanks probably consider hurricane conditions !
No way they will cope with 40mph winds with greens that slick. Bound to be delays.
bogbunny

Blackmac wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:45 pm
fishfoodie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:32 pm Masters could have a tasty start this year, with >1" of rain being forecast for Thursday, & very gusty conditions, with >40mph gusts, which are something the yanks probably consider hurricane conditions !
No way they will cope with 40mph winds with greens that slick. Bound to be delays.
Softcox

Played last Sunday morning on an Open course in 50 mph + gusts, back tees, 29 points :spin
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:45 pm
Well the expectation is that the hole positions will be part sympathetic, & part pragmatic to deal with any water, & with the nature of most of the holes, I can't really see balls moving under the wind in the greens, but those high tee shots that go above the shelter of the trees could end up anywhere, because it's too late to make the fairways more forgiving !

They might like to delay, but ultimately the TV people will want the players out unless its unplayable, or there's T&L about, so they'll have to go out & play whatever holes they need to to make that prime time Sunday finish.
Biffer

Bubba Watson’s wee girl can putt.

And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Insane_Homer

That is amazing!
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Insane_Homer

Weather update: first round will commence at 10:30 am local time - 15:30 UK time

:thumbup:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Insane_Homer

from Beeb webby
Gary Player is 88. Eighty-eight! Looks as fit as a fiddle still.

Dressed all in black, the oldest living Masters champion knocks it down the middle and does a celebratory twirl. Superb.

Loved seeing Player doing his stretches and warm-ups a little earlier, like he was about to play 18.

Reckon he could do more push-ups than me - and I'm under half his age.
dpedin

Interesting to watch the Masters with a bit of wind! Lots of players really struggled with controlling the ball off the tee and with their irons - makes me feel happier watching them struggle when I try and play Kilspindie in a gale force wind with no trees on the course and a high tide meaning the spray from the waves hits you in the face! ! However DeChambeau hits an amazing 7 under par for first round which given the conditions was just stunning. Forecast looks kinder windy again today but calmer for rest of tournament so expect some low scoring unless they stick the pins in really difficult places.

Closer to home my Embra course has dried out a lot and beginning to get into shape after the horrendous rain we have had in April. Off mats from tomorrow and hopefully playing 100% early next week. Lots of courses around here have been decimated with the rain.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 am Interesting to watch the Masters with a bit of wind! Lots of players really struggled with controlling the ball off the tee and with their irons - makes me feel happier watching them struggle when I try and play Kilspindie in a gale force wind with no trees on the course and a high tide meaning the spray from the waves hits you in the face! ! However DeChambeau hits an amazing 7 under par for first round which given the conditions was just stunning. Forecast looks kinder windy again today but calmer for rest of tournament so expect some low scoring unless they stick the pins in really difficult places.

Closer to home my Embra course has dried out a lot and beginning to get into shape after the horrendous rain we have had in April. Off mats from tomorrow and hopefully playing 100% early next week. Lots of courses around here have been decimated with the rain.
It's quite enlightening watching them struggle in adverse weather. I saw a stat the other week about how hard amateurs are on themselves with their approach play when the average miss from 100 yards on the PGA tour is approx 25 feet.
Biffer

Think Aberg may be one to watch today
Biffer

So much for Åberg 😂

20 guys at par or better after two rounds is about what I like to see in a major.
Blackmac

Has anyone read Alan Tait's (Scottish golf pro) account of how he was drugged, robbed and left for dead on a golf holiday in the Costa del Sol. He claims it's a huge 'unknown' issue for UK golfers. I have a friend who knows him well and says it has to be taken with the biggest pinch of salt ever. 😂
Blackmac

Played my first ever round at Kilspindie today in glorious weather with the wind picking up through the day. In great condition, including the new lake in front of the 10th green. 😳
I was six over through seven without hitting a bad shot but then managed to pull it together and played the next 11 in one over. Great wee course.
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm Played my first ever round at Kilspindie today in glorious weather with the wind picking up through the day. In great condition, including the new lake in front of the 10th green. 😳
I was six over through seven without hitting a bad shot but then managed to pull it together and played the next 11 in one over. Great wee course.
Pleased you enjoyed it - I'm playing there this afternoon. The lake at the 10th hole is a permanent feature over the winter months but drains in the summer - the hole is called Pond! First 4 holes are the most difficult and back 9 relatively straightforward but it all depends on the wind! The par 3 8th is a fun tee shot. It's a short fun course, an easy walk with great views, but secret is avoiding the bunkers. Too many folk I take there try and over power it and end up in a bunker on every hole. Old fashioned links golf.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 am
Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm Played my first ever round at Kilspindie today in glorious weather with the wind picking up through the day. In great condition, including the new lake in front of the 10th green. 😳
Pleased you enjoyed it - I'm playing there this afternoon. The lake at the 10th hole is a permanent feature over the winter months but drains in the summer - the hole is called Pond! First 4 holes are the most difficult and back 9 relatively straightforward but it all depends on the wind! The par 3 8th is a fun tee shot. It's a short fun course, an easy walk with great views, but secret is avoiding the bunkers. Too many folk I take there try and over power it and end up in a bunker on every hole. Old fashioned links golf.
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The 8th is a stunning par 3 and yeah, all the danger is in the first 4. I love quirky courses that require a bit of thought. My mate just became a member a few weeks ago so I should be playing it a bit more. One of my other friends is a recent captain who has been promising me a round for 5 years. 😂

It seems to have weathered the rain a bit better than Craigielaw which looked in miserable condition.
Biffer

Anyone think Scheffler has a genuine run at all four majors in a calendar year?
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:58 pm Anyone think Scheffler has a genuine run at all four majors in a calendar year?
If the putting form persists, why not.
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:51 pm
dpedin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 am
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The 8th is a stunning par 3 and yeah, all the danger is in the first 4. I love quirky courses that require a bit of thought. My mate just became a member a few weeks ago so I should be playing it a bit more. One of my other friends is a recent captain who has been promising me a round for 5 years. 😂

It seems to have weathered the rain a bit better than Craigielaw which looked in miserable condition.
Ive been a member for just over a year and love it. Your mate is lucky to have got in - the waiting list is closed still and I dont think there are many new members getting in? To be honest there is nothing better in golf than playing a late afternoon/evening round in the late summer sun at Kilspindie then sitting outside sipping a beer and watching the sun go down over the Forth and the last few groups play the 18th.

Craigielaw have real trouble with drainage on their 11th fairway that runs parallel with the par 3 10th at Kilspindie - same water course that creates the pond on our par 3. It was completely flooded and Craigielaw was shut a few weeks ago.
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 pm
Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:58 pm Anyone think Scheffler has a genuine run at all four majors in a calendar year?
Agreed! However if Tommy Fleetwood had putted like Scheffler at the Masters then Tommy would have won by a few strokes. He played brilliantly tee to green but couldn't sink a putt. If Tommy gets into a groove with his putter then I reckon he could be challenging Scheffler in the Majors.
Biffer

dpedin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 am
Agreed! However if Tommy Fleetwood had putted like Scheffler at the Masters then Tommy would have won by a few strokes. He played brilliantly tee to green but couldn't sink a putt. If Tommy gets into a groove with his putter then I reckon he could be challenging Scheffler in the Majors.
Yeah, I reckon Tommy has a major in him. Hope so.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 pm
dpedin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 am

Yeah, I reckon Tommy has a major in him. Hope so.
Poor Tommy has never been a clutch putter and doesn't even appear to be a streaky one. A pity because I would love him to get a major or two.
TedMaul

I agree. The greats zone in under the greatest pressure moments. The Tommys/Westwoods/Caseys don’t quite have that final steel.
dpedin

Gullane No2 today and I have got the shorts on more in hope than common sense! Forecast is dry but only 10 degrees with a northerly wind, however it is past Easter and I refuse to be intimidated by this shitty weather we have been having. I have however retained my thermal base layer on top.
Enzedder

Not a bad lark

I drink and I forget things.
TedMaul

He's earned more than Rory so far this year.
dpedin

TedMaul wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 pm

Where's the trip report and review of East Pier Smokehouse?

Sorry that sounds more demanding than I meant but interested to hear your experiences.
Insane_Homer

TedMaul wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:51 am He's earned more than Rory so far this year.
Nelly Korda ($2.4m) has just won 5 in a row, including a Major and has earned more that Rory too.
TedMaul

dpedin wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 am
TedMaul wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 pm

Where's the trip report and review of East Pier Smokehouse?

Sorry that sounds more demanding than I meant but interested to hear your experiences.
Oh dear my apologies! We actually switched and went to the Steak Barn instead which was great fun, highly recommended, on the Saturday we were in the rooftop restaurant at the Rusacks which is quite the vista and the food was excellent too. I'm in a weekend match at Elie next weekend, so will be in that lovely beach cabin for dinner at The Ship. Incidentally our host for the Sunday at Elie couldn't make it last time and getting a game on a Sunday morning is quite difficult and we ended up playing Drumoig GC, really enjoyed that course, long, great greens for the princely sum of 35 quid :clap:
Tichtheid

Enzedder

That's how I got my hole in 1 - just take away the water.

Easy peasy.
I drink and I forget things.