Blues Birthdays

Where goats go to escape
Tichtheid

Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington (April 29, 1899 – May 24, 1974)

I will just say this, it don't mean a thing if it ain't go that swing.

Tichtheid

Rev Gary Davis. Born 30th April 1896. Along with other Piedmont Blues players he is a big favourite of mine. I love this song, I've gone with the recorded version because the only live performance I could find was half the length and you don't get to hear that wonderful playing and singing as clearly

Tichtheid

Mabel Louise Smith (May 1, 1924 – January 23, 1972), known professionally as Big Maybelle, was an American R&B singer. Her 1956 hit single "Candy" received the Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1999.

That voice! and I don't mean when she belts, when she keeps it just ticking over, it's just sublime.

Tichtheid

Connie Mac Booker born 2nd of May 1929, there isn't a Wiki bio so there isn't a lot of info out there about the man, except this snippet; Texas blues and rhythm & blues singer and pianist, who recorded in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I have some books, but they are all packed away at the moment so I can't find out anything else.

Tichtheid

OW! Git Up Offa That Thing!.

James Brown, born on the 3rd of May 1933.

Tichtheid

A catch up for yesterday

Blind Willie McTell was just one of the names William Samuel McTier was known by, born May the 5th 1898. Another of the Piedmont Bluesmen, he was slightly unusual in playing a 12 string guitar. He has been an influence on a huge number of musicians and you can hear it in contemporary artists such as Pokey LaFarge. His library of Congress recording are well worth a listen.
(Also, I love the Bob Dylan song.)

Tichtheid

Admirl Amos Easton (May 7, 1905 – June 8, 1968), better known by the stage name Bumble Bee Slim, was an American Piedmont blues singer and guitarist.

Easton was born in Brunswick, Georgia, United States. Several original sources confirm that he spelled his first name "Admirl". Around 1920 he joined the Ringling Brothers circus. He then returned to Georgia and was briefly married before heading north on a freight train to Indianapolis, where he settled in 1928. There he met and was influenced by the pianist Leroy Carr and the guitarist Scrapper Blackwell.
By 1931 he had moved to Chicago, where he made his first recordings, as Bumble Bee Slim, for Paramount Records. The following year his song "B&O Blues" was a hit for Vocalion Records, inspiring several other railroad blues and eventually becoming a popular folk song. In the next five years, he recorded over 150 songs for Decca Records, Bluebird Records and Vocalion, often accompanied by other musicians, including Big Bill Broonzy, Peetie Wheatstraw, Tampa Red, Memphis Minnie, and Washboard Sam.
In 1937, he returned to Georgia. He relocated to Los Angeles, California in the early 1940s, apparently hoping to break into motion pictures as a songwriter and comedian. During the 1950s he recorded several albums, but they had little impact. His last album was released in 1962 by Pacific Jazz Records.
He continued to perform in clubs around Los Angeles until he died in 1968.

Tichtheid

It's only Robert flippin' Johnson's birthday

Robert Leroy Johnson (May 8, 1911 – August 16, 1938) was an American blues musician and songwriter. His landmark recordings in 1936 and 1937 display a combination of singing, guitar skills, and songwriting talent that has influenced later generations of musicians. Although his recording career spanned only seven months, he is recognized as a master of the blues, particularly the Delta blues style, and as one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame describes him as perhaps "the first ever rock star".

As a traveling performer who played mostly on street corners, in juke joints, and at Saturday night dances, Johnson had little commercial success or public recognition in his lifetime. He participated in only two recording sessions, one in San Antonio in 1936, and one in Dallas in 1937, that produced 29 distinct songs (with 13 surviving alternate takes) recorded by Don Law. These songs, recorded solo in improvised studios, were the totality of his recorded output. Most were released as 10-inch, 78 rpm singles from 1937–1938, with a few released after his death. Other than these recordings, very little was known of his life outside of the small musical circuit in the Mississippi Delta where he spent most of his time. Much of his story has been reconstructed by researchers. Johnson's poorly documented life and death have given rise to legends. The one most often associated with him is that he sold his soul to the devil at a local crossroads in return for musical success.

This is The Source for so many musicians. I love this, I love the singing, the playing and all the mythology surrounding this man

Tichtheid

Dave Prater, of Sam & Dave fame, born 9th of May 1937

Tichtheid

Ted Bogan

Theodore R. Bogan (May 10, 1909 – January 29, 1990)[1] was an American country blues guitarist, singer and songwriter,[2] best known for his work with Howard Armstrong and Carl Martin. His career spanned over 50 years. His finger-picking guitar style was much admired. He played in various string bands for most of his career, including Martin, Bogan & Armstrong (or Martin, Bogan & the Armstrongs)

Tichtheid

Stevland Hardaway Morris, Stevie Wonder to you and me, born 13th of May 1950. The word “genius” is overused, but there are times when it’s appropriate

Tichtheid

Sidney Joseph Bechet (May 14, 1897 – May 14, 1959) was an American jazz saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer. He was one of the first important soloists in jazz, and first recorded several months before trumpeter Louis Armstrong. His erratic temperament hampered his career, and not until the late 1940s did he earn wide acclaim. Bechet spent much of his later life in France (I actually thought he was French, just down to the following tune)

This is a great melody, even the title is so evocative

Sandstorm

Tichtheid wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:55 am Sidney Joseph Bechet (May 14, 1897 – May 14, 1959)
He died on his birthday? Hope it was after the party. :grin:
Tichtheid

This is the one I skipped the other day because it coincided with Stevie Wonder. Gil Evans, born 13th of May 1912. I think he is widely appreciated as one of the greatest orchestrators in jazz. I chose this particular track because it tickled me that it's a Leadbelly song. If I remember when it's Huddie's turn I'll post his song as a comparison.