Guarantee of safety?

Where goats go to escape
epwc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/arti ... ve4459v7vo

I’m amazed that she wants to play there regardless of any guarantees, why should she need flipping guarantees?

Money trumps absolutely everything doesn’t it?

(Yes I’m Muslim, but I fully support gay rights)
Insane_Homer

Yeah, I wouldn't trust those fuckers one bit. Those assurances aren't worth shit.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
geordie_6

Seems bizarre. It's all well and good for officials to say "yeah you'll be fine" but that means fuck all to the average street level nutter.
Sinkers

I don’t understand why anybody would want to go there for whatever reason
Blackmac

Absolutely disgraceful that they are holding the tournament there in the first place. As others have said, money trumps everything.
sockwithaticket

Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 am Absolutely disgraceful that they are holding the tournament there in the first place. As others have said, money trumps everything.
The sportswashing for oil rich Arab states is getting out of control and people seem to be happy just going along with it.

Seems a bit "I'm alright, Jack" for a prominent sports person to be happy going somewhere that still actively oppresses LGBTQ+ people because their personal safety has been assured.

It boils my piss when rugby players make a big song and dance about participating in the Rainbow Laces campaign up here, but fuck off to Dubai when they get a spare week during the season.

Apparently Qatar are putting in a big money offer for rugby to host its nonsense Rugby Nations Championship there, so our sport is likely next.
petej

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:14 am
Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 am Absolutely disgraceful that they are holding the tournament there in the first place. As others have said, money trumps everything.
The sportswashing for oil rich Arab states is getting out of control and people seem to be happy just going along with it.

Seems a bit "I'm alright, Jack" for a prominent sports person to be happy going somewhere that still actively oppresses LGBTQ+ people because their personal safety has been assured.

It boils my piss when rugby players make a big song and dance about participating in the Rainbow Laces campaign up here, but fuck off to Dubai when they get a spare week during the season.

Apparently Qatar are putting in a big money offer for rugby to host its nonsense Rugby Nations Championship there, so our sport is likely next.
You can see how scared our government is of upsetting them with man City. I don't think people are happy with it but those people aren't in power. Plenty of ability to coerce individual players with gulf states taking up positions within sporting bodies.
epwc

I don't think they're scared, it's just they want the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68926764

"Gulf states have been very significant investors in the UK in recent years. UAE-based investors have poured billions into ports, housing projects, windfarms and science parks and are being courted for an investment in a new nuclear power plant at Sizewell in Suffolk"
Insane_Homer

In the not-so-distant past...
Fifa has confirmed alcohol will be banned for World Cup fans at grounds in a major and unprecedented volte-face just two days before the tournament will kick off in Qatar. The news that it will not be sold inside or around the perimeter of stadiums was confirmed by Fifa in a terse statement on Friday afternoon.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Ymx

I’m pretty sure she will be fine. Saudi are looking to slowly move in to the modern world. There is no way the crown prince would jeopardise this. Although I’m reminded of that journalist

Speaking of vanishing tennis players. What ever happened to that Chinese player who vanished after making accusations of a senior CCP figure?
epwc

Ymx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:14 pmAlthough I’m reminded of that journalist
I'm reminded of him every time Saudi is mentioned, murder and dismemberment, nice.
Calculon

So many Muslim countries have become more Islamized, with increasing restrictions. Iran, Hamas controlled Gaza, Afghanistan, Erdogan's Turkey, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon.

Saudi Arabia is moving in the opposite direction, albeit from an extremely low base. They should be encouraged to become more Westernized and increase freedom for their women and be more tolerant of the Gays. Having an openely homo female tennis player playing there is another small step on the right path.
Raggs

I'm conflicted about this sort of thing.

The pure sports washing of some things (slavery etc) where it's simply not mentioned, ignored and swept under the carpet etc, is straight up bad.

This however, this is an openly gay person, being knowingly welcomed effectively. The whole country can see it, and will know about it. This isn't sweeping her identity under the carpet, even if she won't be allowed to openly express it (I know that sounds like a bit of a conflict).
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
epwc

I can't imagine any mention of their sexuality in any Saudi media

For my money still a brutal oppressive regime that does nothing for civil or workers rights. If any of you know migrants that have worked in Saudi you'll know how badly they're treated