Stop voting for fucking Tories

Where goats go to escape
SaintK

So Pritti does want to house asylum seekers offshore after all. And it looks like the Isle of Man and Gibraltar are favoured destinations
According to a report (paywall) on the front page of today’s Times, Priti Patel, the home secretary, has revived her plan to send people who arrive in the UK and apply for asylum abroad while their applications are processed. Steven Swinford and Matt Dathan
There appears to be a flaw in the plans though
But Fabian Picard, the chief minister of Gibraltar, told BBC News a few minutes ago that he had not been consulted about setting up a camp for asylum seekers in Gibraltar - and that if the Home Office were to ask, the answer would be no
Immigration is a matter which is under the Gibraltar constitution, the responsibility of Gibraltar ministers. No one has spoken to me about these issues or approached me. Gibraltar has its own, distinct immigration and asylum regime, and our Immigration Act, which is not the UK Immigration Act, and of course geographically Gibraltar finds itself in a very difficult position because bringing people into the small geography of Gibraltar is never going to be a practical way of dealing with these things
And it's news to the IoM
“The UK Government would not be able to open any sort of processing centre on the Island without consent. The UK Government has not contacted the Isle of Man Government about any such proposal.”
tabascoboy

^ Fairly typical hypocrisy, a big no to the EU "forcing" things on us but it's fine for the UK to do the same to its Dependencies. Colonialism hasn't died it seems...
fishfoodie

SaintK wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 pm So Pritti does want to house asylum seekers offshore after all. And it looks like the Isle of Man and Gibraltar are favoured destinations
According to a report (paywall) on the front page of today’s Times, Priti Patel, the home secretary, has revived her plan to send people who arrive in the UK and apply for asylum abroad while their applications are processed. Steven Swinford and Matt Dathan
But Fabian Picard, the chief minister of Gibraltar, told BBC News a few minutes ago that he had not been consulted about setting up a camp for asylum seekers in Gibraltar - and that if the Home Office were to ask, the answer would be no
Immigration is a matter which is under the Gibraltar constitution, the responsibility of Gibraltar ministers. No one has spoken to me about these issues or approached me. Gibraltar has its own, distinct immigration and asylum regime, and our Immigration Act, which is not the UK Immigration Act, and of course geographically Gibraltar finds itself in a very difficult position because bringing people into the small geography of Gibraltar is never going to be a practical way of dealing with these things
And it's news to the IoM
“The UK Government would not be able to open any sort of processing centre on the Island without consent. The UK Government has not contacted the Isle of Man Government about any such proposal.”
Ah well, that still leaves the Falklands; & now when people complain that it's ridiculous, cruel, & expensive; she can say they exhausted all the other opportunities.
Rinkals

SaintK wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 pm So Pritti does want to house asylum seekers offshore after all. And it looks like the Isle of Man and Gibraltar are favoured destinations
And it's news to the IoM
When I worked in Aberdeen, we tendered for an offshore prison project that they wanted to build.

I don't think it was ever built, but I'm sure the project could be revived.
Hal Jordan

I see judicial review is in the Government's sights. No street protests, reduce the ability to challenge in the Court. Chip away at democracy, brick by brick.
Rhubarb & Custard

Hal Jordan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm I see judicial review is in the Government's sights. No street protests, reduce the ability to challenge in the Court. Chip away at democracy, brick by brick.
Or just blow it apart foundational stone by foundational stone, just make sure you have a big enough flag and a picture of the Queen. #Will of the people #Dowreet
Rhubarb & Custard

Hal Jordan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm I see judicial review is in the Government's sights. No street protests, reduce the ability to challenge in the Court. Chip away at democracy, brick by brick.
Or just blow it apart foundational stone by foundational stone, just make sure you have a big enough flag and a picture of the Queen. #Will of the people #Dowreet
Hal Jordan

I'm sure the BBC journalist who joked about Jenrick's flag being too small can expect a visit from the Fingermen tonight.
Biffer

tabascoboy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm ^ Fairly typical hypocrisy, a big no to the EU "forcing" things on us but it's fine for the UK to do the same to its Dependencies. Colonialism hasn't died it seems...
That's what these English Nationalists do though. They want the Empire back, when we could throw our weight around, tell people what to do and they'd just have to suck it up or we'd send the navy in.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Biffer

Unfortunately the panel that they pulled together comprised of the experts they wanted, have concluded that judicial review works very well and they shouldn't change it 😂😂😂

Hal Jordan

Blasted experts at it again!

I see that in a move designed to help speed up the transition to EVs, the Government have decided to remove the Plug In Grant from any car valued over £35k, and only make £2,500 available to those below. So that's a grand slashed off last year, or all gone. Still, Grant Shapps got his Tesla, so the devil take the hindmost.

It's a good thing they raised fuel duty to compensate for the loss of the grant to help equalise the costs.

What?

Oh.
Biffer

Anyone else noticed that in their attempts to make all these zoom TV interviews look like V for Vendetta, half of these loyal patriotic ministered have the Union Flag upside down?
Paddington Bear

Not sure I fully get the fuss - look at an EU meeting and it's exactly the same with the EU flag. Pretty classic government stuff.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Biffer

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:05 am Not sure I fully get the fuss - look at an EU meeting and it's exactly the same with the EU flag. Pretty classic government stuff.
Yeah, in government offices and meeting rooms fair enough. But a six foot flag in your fucking living room is mental.
fishfoodie

Biffer wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:04 am Anyone else noticed that in their attempts to make all these zoom TV interviews look like V for Vendetta, half of these loyal patriotic ministered have the Union Flag upside down?
In't flying a flag upside down a distress signal ?
Paddington Bear

Biffer wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:06 am
Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:05 am Not sure I fully get the fuss - look at an EU meeting and it's exactly the same with the EU flag. Pretty classic government stuff.
Yeah, in government offices and meeting rooms fair enough. But a six foot flag in your fucking living room is mental.
Don't get me wrong the Union Jack doesn't appear in my zoom background, but it seems pretty common for home offices of politicians across the world.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Slick

Biffer wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:06 am
When I did a lot of work with the FCO there was a chap whose only job was to make sure flags were the right way up
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
SaintK

Cameron's judgement still woeful. Though I'm sure he received a whacking great "consultancy" fee.
The Financial Times reports that people familiar with the matter have claimed former UK prime minister David Cameron, who became an advisor to Greensill Capital in 2018, urged his former colleagues to increase the financial services company’s access to state-backed emergency Covid loan schemes.
It came just months before the firm collapsed – filing for insolvency this month – and leaving the taxpayer potentially liable for any losses.
JM2K6

Despite the endless stream of Tory MP drones rolled out to accuse Labour of enabling rape or whatever the fuck it is they were attempting to do during the reading, the public outcry about that horrific shitpile of a bill has seen the committee stage pushed back to some undefined date "later in the year". Halle-fucking-lujah.
SaintK

More mega profits for the private sector in Williamson's department
Glad to see lots of due diligence going on prior to awarding the contracts
Tutors in Sri Lanka who are as young as 17 and earning as little as £1.57 an hour have been used by the government’s flagship national tutoring programme to teach maths to disadvantaged primary school children in England, the Guardian has learned.
The Department for Education announced the immediate suspension of the use of under-18s as tutors for the £350m national tutoring programme (NTP) after being approached about the revelations, and pledged a review of the use of overseas-based tutors in the coming year.
Critics condemned another example of the government outsourcing support and services in its pandemic response, and said the funding – which is part of a £1.7bn catch-up fund announced last year – should have gone directly to schools to source their own tutors rather than through a complex system of private providers.
The Sri Lanka-based tutors were provided through Third Space Learning (TSL), one of 33 tuition providers approved by the NTP to deliver one-to-one and small group tuition.
Rhubarb & Custard

SaintK wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:44 pm More mega profits for the private sector in Williamson's department
Glad to see lots of due diligence going on prior to awarding the contracts
Tutors in Sri Lanka who are as young as 17 and earning as little as £1.57 an hour have been used by the government’s flagship national tutoring programme to teach maths to disadvantaged primary school children in England, the Guardian has learned.
The Department for Education announced the immediate suspension of the use of under-18s as tutors for the £350m national tutoring programme (NTP) after being approached about the revelations, and pledged a review of the use of overseas-based tutors in the coming year.
Critics condemned another example of the government outsourcing support and services in its pandemic response, and said the funding – which is part of a £1.7bn catch-up fund announced last year – should have gone directly to schools to source their own tutors rather than through a complex system of private providers.
The Sri Lanka-based tutors were provided through Third Space Learning (TSL), one of 33 tuition providers approved by the NTP to deliver one-to-one and small group tuition.
Decent chance someone tries to get this included in the overseas aid budget
Ymx

https://news.sky.com/story/government-p ... s-12252322

:shock:

The government is considering taking control of Liverpool City Council in the wake of corruption allegations and the arrest of mayor Joe Anderson, Sky News understands.

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick has confirmed he has received a report from local government inspectors investigating financial irregularities in the awarding of building contracts in the city.

According to the Telegraph, it is "likely" that Mr Jenrick will order commissioners to take over day-to-day operations in Liverpool because of a "damning indictment" of the council.

Is this in the right thread?
I like neeps

Robert Jenrick taking over because of mates being awarded contracts :lol:

What a world we live in.
SaintK

I like neeps wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:29 am Robert Jenrick taking over because of mates being awarded contracts :lol:

What a world we live in.
The irony is strong!!
Insane_Homer

But remember folks it's the "unelected bureaucrats" of the EU that were the problem...
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
I like neeps

Ymx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:19 am https://news.sky.com/story/government-p ... s-12252322

:shock:

The government is considering taking control of Liverpool City Council in the wake of corruption allegations and the arrest of mayor Joe Anderson, Sky News understands.

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick has confirmed he has received a report from local government inspectors investigating financial irregularities in the awarding of building contracts in the city.

According to the Telegraph, it is "likely" that Mr Jenrick will order commissioners to take over day-to-day operations in Liverpool because of a "damning indictment" of the council.

Is this in the right thread?
Joe Anderson the mayor of Liverpool was arrested and will go on trial. Could go to prison and if he's been breaking the law I hope he does.

Jenrick gives sweetheart deals to Tory donors for some money and he stays in govt and nobody cares.

Do you see the difference?
Ymx

Financial irregularities perhaps
Ymx

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 am Image

But remember folks it's the "unelected bureaucrats" of the EU that were the problem...
House of Lords are a disgrace to democracy. Their interference in the brexit process was disgusting.

Hopefully Boris starts the process.
I like neeps

Ymx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am Financial irregularities perhaps
Both taking money from the taxpayer for personal gain.
Ymx

Is it time to end the farce of hereditary peers in the House of Lords?

The aristocratic jobs for the boys’ system that gave the elite an automatic role in running the country has been running on borrowed time for 20 years

March 20 2021, The Sunday Times

Lord Selsdon, a hereditary peer in the House of Lords, made a frank admission to colleagues not long ago. “I’m not quite sure why I am here,” he said. The retired banker and wine producer, 83, described the circumstances in which, aged 26, he had inherited his title — and a lifelong seat in parliament.

“It all happened one day when I was working in Brussels and someone came up and tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘My lord, could I have a word?’ I said, ‘I’m not my lord, I’m just me.’ He said, ‘I’m afraid I’ve got some news for you. Your father died off the Azores this morning at sea and has been buried. You are now Lord Selsdon.”

Such stories might feel like they belong to a bygone era. But more than half a century later, Selsdon is not alone. He is one of 85 male members of the British nobility who, as holders of titles and land bequeathed by kings and queens over the past 1,000 years, are entitled to seats in the Lords. They, and their ancestors, have, in total, sat in the chamber for 19,000 years.

Every earl, duke, marquis, viscount and baron has the same passport to parliament: blood and, in most cases, their status as firstborn sons. The only other state to reserve seats for hereditary chieftains is Lesotho, though it has fewer: just 22. Unlike royals, who sit above them in the class system but whose political role is ceremonial, the peers have the same rights and privileges as any other members of the Lords. The likes of the Duke of Wellington, Earl of Sandwich and Lord Cromwell shape and vote on the laws that affect ordinary people. The system is often forgotten, or assumed to have ended, so it escapes scrutiny. However, hereditary peers still matter. They make up more than a tenth of the chamber. They have more representatives than the combined Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parties, Liberal Democrats and Greens have MPs.

Our investigation today offers a comprehensive assessment of Britain’s hereditary peers: who they are, how much they cost and how they use their presence in parliament — more than two decades after they were supposed to have been abolished.

IT WASN’T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS

In 1997 Tony Blair asked Labour’s leadership in the Lords to do a deal with the opposition to abolish hereditary peers, who were mostly Conservative and formed the majority of the chamber’s 1,330 members. By 2000, Blair had cut that number to 669 by scrapping the centuries-old rule by which all hereditary peers could sit on the red benches.

However, that came at a cost. The Tories threatened to derail the legislation with wrecking amendments. Labour agreed that 92 hereditary peers could stay. Blair’s negotiator, Lord Irvine of Lairg, said it was “fanciful” to think they would not be abolished soon. But in the interim their number would be fixed: if one died, a by-election would be held to fill the vacancy.

Jack Straw, 74, who was home secretary at the time, says when the reforms were unveiled at a cabinet meeting: “None of us were very happy with it. I mean, it wasn’t much of a compromise.” Baroness Jay of Paddington, 81, Labour’s leader in the Lords at the time, adds: “In a naive way I always thought [getting anything through] was a stepping stone.”

Two decades later the task remains incomplete. Blair abandoned the promised second phase of constitutional reform — and no government since has picked up the baton, though Nick Clegg briefly tried to press ahead when he was deputy prime minister in the coalition.
The by-election system allows hereditary peers to preserve their numbers. Only members of the same party as the deceased can vote and the number of peers per party is frozen at 1999 levels.

Each time a Lib Dem hereditary dies, dozens of aristocrats who hold titles can stand for an election in which, as it stands, just three people vote. In 2016 Viscount Thurso, 67, used the system as a route back into parliament just over a year after voters removed him as MP for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross at the 2015 general election. He did not submit a 75-word personal manifesto, as is custom, and sailed through after winning all three votes: the Earl of Oxford and Asquith, the Earl of Glasgow, and Lord Addington.
Hereditary peers are still mainly Tory and use wrecking amendments to see off attempts to remove them. Every time a reform bill comes forward, it runs out of time.

WHO ARE THE HEREDITARIES?

The great-grandson of a fascist is an unlikely poster boy for diversity. But Lord Ravensdale, descendent of Oswald Mosley, leader of the British Union of Fascists, is the youngest hereditary peer.

The Nottingham-born engineer, whose family owes its title to Mosley’s father-in-law, a former viceroy of India, is 38. The next youngest, the Earl of Devon, is 45. There are as many aged 90 or over than there are under 50, with an average age of 71.

That is not the only way in which the current crop do not look like modern Britain. Measured by age, education or experience, they do not resemble those on whose behalf they make laws. As it stands, 85 hereditary peers sit in the chamber, seven short of the total number allocated, primarily because of vacancies left by the grim reaper. All are men. Most titles pass down the male line through the eldest son or, failing that, the closest male relative, in a practice known as male primogeniture.

The principle can produce unusual heirs: the Earl of Arran, 82, whose title was created in 1762 for an Irish politician, has two daughters, but no son. That means his heir is a distant cousin — William Gore, 70, a retired civil servant from Brisbane, Australia. He said: “People go agog. They assume I get lots of money and a castle. I have a very impertinent son-in-law who insists on calling me ‘m’lord’.”
Hereditary peers are one of the last bastions in public life to apply male succession: even the royal family ended the practice in 2013, meaning Prince George’s first child, whether male or female, will succeed to the throne.

The peers have more in common with each other than the rest of us. Most went to one of three elite boarding schools: Eton (39), Winchester (6) and Harrow (5). In many cases, their families have attended the same school for centuries. The first Duke of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, went to Eton. So too did all of his successors for which records exist, including the incumbent, the ninth duke.

A man’s home is his castle, and when it comes to the 85, that is often literally the case. Many have inherited vast expanses of land and property. According to publicly available data, hereditary peers own at least 170,000 acres of land, almost double the size of the Isle of Wight and nearly half the size of Greater London. Land ownership is secretive, so the total is likely to be higher.

Last edited by Ymx on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ymx

ctd.

Not all peers live up to the grandeur of their titles. In a newspaper article, the Duke of Somerset’s lover said the 68-year-old spent his days “sitting at home in moth-eaten jumpers eating a ready meal for one”. But his is no ordinary home: he owns the 17th-century Bradley House in Wiltshire, built on land given to his family by Henry VIII. The woman speaking was a socialite 21 years his junior, whom he had befriended on a pheasant shoot.

WHAT DO THEY DO?

Lord Brabazon of Tara, 74, grandson of Churchill’s aircraft production minister, did not expect to be in the chamber for decades. In 2017, he told colleagues: “When I was elected in 1999, I never supposed I would still be here 18 years later.”

As a peer, he is entitled to cut-price alcohol and subsidised food at the peers’ dining room, once called the “best day care centre for the elderly in London”. He can also claim travel expenses and a £323 daily allowance for taking part in parliamentary proceedings. These payments are tax free. What does the taxpayer get in return? Brabazon was a whip under Thatcher and deputy Lords Speaker from 2010-12.

He claimed £30,361 in expenses last year, equal to the average full-time, pre-tax salary. Brabazon did not take part in a single debate in parliament.

Some hereditaries say they are among the most active members of the Lords and are working peers, not shirking peers. Indeed Brabazon acknowledges that: “I do not speak in the chamber often [as it is] very difficult to get in at question time for instance”, but says he plays a full part sitting on a Lords committee. However, an analysis of all lords who have sat in the chamber for the past five years shows hereditary peers generally contribute less but cost more.

Hereditaries claimed £144,000 on average in that time, compared with £134,000 for life peers. The typical hereditary peer made 50 speeches in the chamber compared with 82 among life peers. Hereditary peers asked half as many written questions to ministers. Just 13 per cent sit on two or more committees for scrutinising legislation, compared with 20 per cent of life peers. More than half, 45, of hereditaries do not sit on any.

In the past 20 years hereditary peers have claimed £47 million in expenses from the taxpayer. Had some peers saved all of their allowances over the past two decades, they would be millionaires. Lord Addington, who became the youngest-ever hereditary peer, aged 22, in 1986, has been paid more than £974,000 in tax-free expenses since 2001 when parliamentary records began.

WHO DO THEY REPRESENT?

Expenses are not the only source of income for hereditary peers. Many make money lobbying in parliament for private interests, including oil, tobacco and foreign states.
Lord Palmer, 69, heir to a biscuit empire founded by his great-grandfather, has become a dependable representative for the tobacco industry. Palmer, who once said he was expelled from Eton because he was “so incredibly stupid”, has been a smart investment for tobacco companies. According to his register of interests, Palmer is convenor of the Lords and Commons Cigar Club, a secretive group, bankrolled by the Tobacco Manufacturers’ Association. His family business was sold to RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company, a subsidiary of British American Tobacco, the world’s biggest tobacco company, where he is a shareholder.

Palmer, a cigar smoker, has consistently been a voice for lax regulation on cigarettes. In a 2011 debate on tobacco advertising he said if “smoking was completely outlawed, the entire British economy would literally collapse”. He has called on ministers to reverse a ban on small cigarette packs, saying it has a “devastating impact on small local shops”. Palmer has claimed £936,000 in expenses since 2001. If a peer wants to raise a matter in the chamber that relates to their private interests, they must either disclose for whom they work or refer colleagues to the register of interests. In practice this gives lords a carte blanche to lobby in the chamber.

An analysis of Hansard over the past five years suggests that hereditary peers are 60 per cent more likely to refer to this register when they speak, compared with life peers. Many peers are patrons of charities or sit on the boards of public institutions, such as universities. But a large number of the interests raised concern two commodities that are in plentiful supply among the hereditaries. The first is land: 30 per cent of hereditary peers (26) receive farming payments from the EU, which, last financial year, totalled £2.7 million. These members have become some of the most vocal advocates for post-Brexit subsidies.

The second is outside jobs. Take Viscount Waverley: the grandson of Churchill’s wartime chancellor, who has business interests in the former Soviet Union. Waverley, 71, has repeatedly questioned the value of sanctions against Russia in the chamber, saying they were “mostly hurting the more fair-minded western-oriented Russians”.
In 2018, after the Salisbury poisonings, he met Putin’s deputy foreign minister in St Petersburg to sign a “co-operation agreement” between his private consultancy and Roscongress, the Russian trade body. Despite warnings from the Foreign Office, Waverley met the Speaker of the Russian state assembly to discuss trade and interparliamentary ties. He said the appropriate authorities were informed.

Lord Carrington, 72, is the son of Thatcher’s foreign secretary and a descendant of a slave owner. The peer, a former banker, is the director of a Saudi company that has built oil refineries and previously oversaw Saudi investments for a merchant bank. He has repeatedly spoken about the kingdom in the chamber but emphasised business and trade rather than human rights. He used a debate on arms sales last year to raise the issue of “seriously” late payments from Saudi businesses.

Then, months after the murder of the journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, he responded to a government statement on executions in Saudi Arabia, saying: “I caution the government that the alternative to the current royal government ... could be considerably worse.”
Waverley, who owns several farms, has submitted written questions about one issue: farming — including state subsidies. He said last night he only speaks on subjects on which he has “long experience and deep personal knowledge ... I am not certain that my contributions on matters in which I had little knowledge would be particularly valuable!”

WHAT CAN BE DONE? 

On Tuesday the Lords will announce the candidates competing to be the next Speaker. Change seems to be in the air.

The departing Speaker, Lord Fowler, 83, has been an outspoken advocate for a much smaller chamber.The Lords, with about 800 sitting members, is the second biggest legislative body in the world after China’s National People’s Congress.

The idea of modernising the Lords has gained momentum. Boris Johnson has toyed with moving the chamber to northern England to advance his levelling-up agenda. Others believe it should be transformed into a senate-like chamber, to help stave off Scottish independence. The position of all main parties is that the chamber size must be cut. What is up for debate is how and when that is achieved.

Hereditary peers are likely to form part of the answer. Since the start of the pandemic last March, their by-elections have been repeatedly suspended, meaning four departed members have not been replaced. This has led many to whisper: what if the contests are simply never resumed? It is an idea that gains traction today, with three candidates to succeed Fowler expressing some form of support.

Lord Alderdice, 65, a Liberal Democrat peer, says by-elections should be paused indefinitely, allowing hereditary peers to “wither away”.

Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town, 71, Labour’s deputy leader in the Lords, says its work is “devalued” by the hereditaries. “The idea of only having people in because of what an antecedent did, rather than what they themselves did, is not something that would be accepted by the British public today.”

The final candidate, Lord McFall of Alcluith, a former Labour MP and deputy Lords’ Speaker, says he “admires” the work of Lord Grocott who has repeatedly tabled bills to end the by-election system.

For now, though, hereditary peers will adopt the philosophy of Lord Borwick, 66. Not long ago, he told the chamber: “Do I deserve this place? Absolutely not! Am I grateful that I’ve got it? Absolutely! And I hope that I’ve been working hard enough to reckon that other people might think I deserve it.”

THE OLDEST PEER 

Lord Denham, 93

The longest-serving member of the Lords, he is one of a handful of politicians to have served in the governments of five prime ministers. Educated at Eton and King’s College, Cambridge, he inherited his title on the death of his father in 1948. He held government posts under Harold Macmillan, Alec Douglas-Home, Ted Heath, Margaret Thatcher and John Major, also finding time to write four political mystery novels under the name Bertie Denham. He has claimed £63,000 in allowances for attending the Lords since 2015 but last spoke in the chamber in July 2014. The title was created in 1937 for his father, a Tory MP for Buckingham and a former Lords chief whip.

THE OLDEST PEERAGE

Lord Willoughby de Broke, 82

The Latimer barony has existed since 1290, but as with many hereditary peers, the incumbent, the 29th holder, holds other titles. His preferred one, Lord De Broke, stems from a centuries- old spelling error. Henry VII rewarded his military commander, Robert Willoughby, with an hereditary peerage in 1492, named after Brook, his Wiltshire home. A little more than 500 years later, the title regained prominence when the current baron became leader of Ukip in the Lords. He has since fallen out with the party, reportedly over its alliance with Tommy Robinson, but remains a Brexiteer despite having received £106,150 in EU subsidies for his 927-acre arable and grouse farm in Warwickshire.

THE RICHEST PEER

Lord Granchester, 82

He may be the only hereditary peer to grace the Sunday Times Rich List, with a fortune of £1.2 billion, but that has not stopped Christopher Suenson-Taylor from charging the taxpayer £583,000 in expenses since 2001. He is the grandson of John Moores, the former Everton FC owner and founder of the Littlewoods football pools and retail empire. Grantchester still has an 8 per cent stake in his beloved Toffees. He is a dairy farmer and owes his peerage to his other grandfather (on his father’s side, of course), Alfred Jesse Taylor, a First World War veteran and Liberal politician. He runs a 550-acre dairy farm in Crewe, which received handsome EU farming subsidies of £57,974 in 2019.

INTERESTS RAISED

Duke of Wellington, 75

Some peers have primarily spoken in the chamber in order to discuss issues relating directly to their financial or personal interests. One of them is the Duke of Wellington: nearly all of his interventions have required him to declare an interest in accordance with the rules. For example, the landowner and farmer has frequently weighed on readings of the latest Agriculture Bill, including arguing for “extra payments for nature-friendly farming practices”. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, he made a fortune in finance: he was a director of Rothmans and chairman of Dunhill. Elevated to the Lords in 2015, he quit the Tory group to sit as a non-affiliated peer in 2019 as the Brexit debate raged.

THE QUIETEST

Earl of Stair, 59

There was stiff competition in the race for the quietest Lord, but the Earl of Stair is right up there. He last spoke in the chamber in an armed services debate in 2016. Since rejoining the chamber through a by-election in 2008, he has never submitted a written question and has spoken in the chamber only ten times, yet has claimed more than £170,000 in expenses. The Scottish Stairs are linked by marriage to the Bowes-Lyon family of the late Queen Mother. The 14th earl was educated at Harrow and inherited his title in 1996 on the death of his father, who competed in the bobsleigh event in the 1928 Winter Olympics. His home is Stair Estate, which has 44,000 acres near Dumfries and Galloway.

THE MOST ECCENTRIC 

Earl of Erroll, 72

Not many British peers can claim to be related to both King Pharnabazus, ruler of the Iberians in the fourth century BC; and Ersabet Bathory, a 17th-century Hungarian mass-murderer nicknamed “Countess Dracula”. The Eton and Cambridge-educated earl is the son of Sir Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk, chief of the clan Moncreiffe, and Diana Hay, the 23rd Countess of Erroll, who was born in Kenya amid the aristocratic excesses of the so-called Happy Valley set renowned in the 1920s for its drug use and promiscuity. The 24th earl, a computer security consultant, runs a private club called Puffin’s, open only to members whose families fought — “or would have had they been there” — at the Battle of Flodden in 1513.

Reform sabotaged by two peers who have sat in chamber for 109 years

Twice in the past four years an attempt to reform the system of hereditary peers has been stymied, writes Tom Calver.

Bruce Grocott, 80, a Labour peer and trade unionist, has tried to use a private member’s bill to scrap hereditary peerage by-elections.

Under his plan, whenever a hereditary peer dies, resigns or is expelled from the House of Lords, they would not be replaced, which would leave the present system to wither away.

Why hasn’t it passed?

has tabled the bill three times in the past four sessions of parliament. However, only the government can ensure there is enough time for a bill to be debated and passed in the face of procedural challenges.

Who keeps killing off reform?

That brings us to two Conservative hereditary peers, Lord Trefgarne, 79, and the Earl of Caithness, 73, who have both sat in the chamber since they were 21 and have a combined length of service of 109 years. They have used parliamentary tactics to sabotage Grocott’s bills. These include wrecking amendments, in which an excessive number of amendments are tabled, leading to endless debates. On one occasion, the two peers tabled 50 such amendments. Without government support, Grocott’s bills have repeatedly run out of time.

Could it win enough votes to pass?

Many peers believe the Lords would vote by a clear majority to scrap by-elections if the bill was put to a conclusive vote. Lord Alderdice, the Lib Dem peer standing as Lords Speaker, says “the overwhelming majority” favours abolishing by-elections — including many hereditary peers themselves. One of them is Earl Clancarty, 68, a self-employed artist and translator who favours an elected senate. But many hereditary peers with similar opinions will not voluntarily leave the chamber until they know what is coming next — and that everyone is leaving with them.

What happens next?

The current session of parliament began after the last general election in December 2019. Peer s such as Lord Grocott must submit their bills to a ballot if they want them to be debated. There is no guarantee when, or whether, they will come before the house. Last time round, Grocott’s was allocated sixth place on the list of private member’s bills. That means it received its second reading, the most important stage, last year. Since March, however, no time has been made available for private member’s bills, because of Covid-19. When the government unveils the next Queen’s speech, there will be a new session and Grocott will be free to put his bill in the ballot once again.
Hal Jordan

The problem is that they won't be replaced with anyone better, even if they are culled en masse, as the utter farce of the recent peerages has shown (and the present Government are by no means the only ones to have packed the benches, but again, it's the naked "Fuck you" nature if who they put in).

As for Jenrick, he is a proper Boss Tweed.
Insane_Homer

Ymx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am House of Lords are a disgrace to democracy. Their interference in the brexit process was disgusting.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
SaintK

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:31 am
Ymx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am House of Lords are a disgrace to democracy. Their interference in the brexit process was disgusting.

Ah, the nice Lord Lebedev of Moscow. Major Tory donor and host of all the "bunga bunga" parties that Boris attended in Italy
Insane_Homer

Spoiler
Show
dpedin

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:20 am Image
Spoiler
Show
Once a bastard always a bastard!
Insane_Homer

Tichtheid

SaintK

Whoops, there go the the £M's of share options he was promised.
Cameron not as influential as he thinks and certainly showing appalling judgement
David Cameron has drawn criticism from former ministers but escaped official scrutiny by MPs after the Tory-dominated Treasury select committee declined to launch an inquiry into his efforts to lobby government officials on behalf of Greensill Capital.
Parliamentarians have expressed concern over allegations that the former prime minister contacted the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, on his private phone in hopes of securing special access to hundreds of thousands of pounds of emergency Covid loans for the firm, which collapsed this month.
Granting Greensill access to the 100% government-backed Covid corporate financing facility (CCFF) would have meant bending the rules, since lenders are not meant to borrow money through the programme.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -cameron
shereblue

SaintK wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 am
I like neeps wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:29 am Robert Jenrick taking over because of mates being awarded contracts :lol:

What a world we live in.
The irony is strong!!
Derek Hatton to be put in charge of Planning decisions for Tower Hamlets?