The Brexit Thread

Where goats go to escape
Hal Jordan

I suppose one thing that differentiates Britain from everyone else (in the West etc) after WW2 is that America was in the ascendancy both politically and economically, Europe was completely devastated and was starting again, or being pinched by the Communists but Britain, who had been on the winning side, now saw a period of history where the economy was fucked, rationing was still a thing and the Empire was beginning its break up. Just five years after the war, India, the metaphorical jewel in the crown of Empire, was gone.

Two wars had also brought the classes into close proximity, as well, I have no doubt that contributed to the fracture of the old order. It's probably harder to put Lt The Honourable Augustus Smith-Smithingon-Smyth on a pedestal as the distant heir to the manor when he's having an attack of the shits in the next slit trench.
GogLais

Hal Jordan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:55 pm Two wars had also brought the classes into close proximity, as well, I have no doubt that contributed to the fracture of the old order. It's probably harder to put Lt The Honourable Augustus Smith-Smithingon-Smyth on a pedestal as the distant heir to the manor when he's having an attack of the shits in the next slit trench.
No doubt some behaved like that but my perception of it is that the majority of the junior officers led their men bravely. I wasn’t there though.
Paddington Bear

Hal Jordan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:55 pm I suppose one thing that differentiates Britain from everyone else (in the West etc) after WW2 is that America was in the ascendancy both politically and economically, Europe was completely devastated and was starting again, or being pinched by the Communists but Britain, who had been on the winning side, now saw a period of history where the economy was fucked, rationing was still a thing and the Empire was beginning its break up. Just five years after the war, India, the metaphorical jewel in the crown of Empire, was gone.

Two wars had also brought the classes into close proximity, as well, I have no doubt that contributed to the fracture of the old order. It's probably harder to put Lt The Honourable Augustus Smith-Smithingon-Smyth on a pedestal as the distant heir to the manor when he's having an attack of the shits in the next slit trench.
This isn't what makes our experience unique, everyone's economy was in a mess and a number of other European countries began to decolonise.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
GogLais

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 am
Hal Jordan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:55 pm I suppose one thing that differentiates Britain from everyone else (in the West etc) after WW2 is that America was in the ascendancy both politically and economically, Europe was completely devastated and was starting again, or being pinched by the Communists but Britain, who had been on the winning side, now saw a period of history where the economy was fucked, rationing was still a thing and the Empire was beginning its break up. Just five years after the war, India, the metaphorical jewel in the crown of Empire, was gone.

This isn't what makes our experience unique, everyone's economy was in a mess and a number of other European countries began to decolonise.
To state the bleedin obvious we were unique in that we hadn’t been invaded so other than creating the NHS we thought we were ok carrying on largely as before.
Camroc2

GogLais wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:29 am
Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 am

To state the bleedin obvious we were unique in that we hadn’t been invaded so other than creating the NHS we thought we were ok carrying on largely as before.
Combined with largely using Marshall Aid to shore up the Empire, especially east of Suez, rather than invest in modern manufacturing plants as other European countries did.

Incidentally, when the NHS was set up, the political perception was that it would save the Treasury money, as in a healthy workforce would, in the long run, need less hospital care.
Hal Jordan

GogLais wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:51 am
Hal Jordan wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:55 pm Two wars had also brought the classes into close proximity, as well, I have no doubt that contributed to the fracture of the old order. It's probably harder to put Lt The Honourable Augustus Smith-Smithingon-Smyth on a pedestal as the distant heir to the manor when he's having an attack of the shits in the next slit trench.
No doubt some behaved like that but my perception of it is that the majority of the junior officers led their men bravely. I wasn’t there though.
No, I meant he's got the shits from a crap diet. Hard to claim a moral superiority through bloodline over the peasants when you have brown water exiting your arse.
GogLais

Hal Jordan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:30 pm
GogLais wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:51 am
No, I meant he's got the shits from a crap diet. Hard to claim a moral superiority through bloodline over the peasants when you have brown water exiting your arse.
Righty ho, my mistake.
tabascoboy

Revealed: secret cross-party summit held to confront failings of Brexit

Leading Brexiters and remainers, including Michael Gove and David Lammy, met for two-day ‘private discussion’ with diplomats and business leaders

An extraordinary cross-party summit bringing together leading leavers and remainers – including Michael Gove and senior members of Keir Starmer’s shadow cabinet – has been held in high secrecy to address the failings of Brexit and how to remedy them in the national interest, the Observer can reveal.

The two-day gathering of some of the country’s most senior Labour and Tory politicians from both sides of the Brexit debate, together with diplomats, defence experts and the heads of some of the biggest businesses and banks, was held at the historic Ditchley Park retreat in Oxfordshire on Thursday afternoon and evening, and on Friday.

Documents from the meeting, obtained by the Observer, describe it as a “private discussion” under the title: “How can we make Brexit work better with our neighbours in Europe?”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw
Well our government not being total arseholes when it comes to anything remotely EU related would help. Just a thought...
tabascoboy

My Waitrose branch very similar, don't know about the other supermarkets but seen plenty of reports from around the country showing the same in other supermarkets too. Yet barely an issue in other parts of Europe apparently...

dpedin

tabascoboy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:16 pm My Waitrose branch very similar, don't know about the other supermarkets but seen plenty of reports from around the country showing the same in other supermarkets too. Yet barely an issue in other parts of Europe apparently...

Apparently there has been weather issues in Spain and Morocco but question is why is it impacting on UK more so than European countries. Reading that it is just too much hassle and too much expense to export to UK and easier for growers to send what produce they do have to existing EU markets instead. Another Brexit benefit no doubt!
spike

Ireland are seeing the same shortages
spike

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:41 pm Can't say I've seen them
Nor me TBF, was reading this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64718823
fishfoodie

spike wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:20 pm

Tesoo Ireland !

Other supermarkets aren't seeing any, but Tesco have their own distribution network, & it's obviously bolted on to the UK entity because they've had various stock shortages when no-one else did.

I was in Dunnes this morning & not a gap to be seen in the F&V shelves
spike

fishfoodie wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:33 pm

Tesoo Ireland !

Other supermarkets aren't seeing any, but Tesco have their own distribution network, & it's obviously bolted on to the UK entity because they've had various stock shortages when no-one else did.

I wnet shopping today, didnt seem any shortages where I am either in wales. (although they were selling ridiculously small avocados!)
dpedin

spike wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 pm

Tesoo Ireland !

I wnet shopping today, didnt seem any shortages where I am either in wales. (although they were selling ridiculously small avocados!)
Interesting take on food shortages - worth reading the thread!

spike

dpedin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:54 am
spike wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 pm

Tesoo Ireland !

Interesting take on food shortages - worth reading the thread!

I think I'll take the beebs piece with a food industry insider over some random twitter guy.
Sandstorm

It's not a Brexit issue. There are not enough tomatoes to ship. Crops were destroyed by bad weather.

If any other EU countries get their tomatoes from Spain and N Africa, they too will see shortages soon.
fishfoodie

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:42 pm It's not a Brexit issue. There are not enough tomatoes to ship. Crops were destroyed by bad weather.

If any other EU countries get their tomatoes from Spain and N Africa, they too will see shortages soon.
Its not solely a Brexit issue, but it is a factor !

The extra costs, & delays associated with Brexit don't make exporting to the UK more attractive, than just sending them to the single market. If your margins are down to the bone, you don't want to be importing expensive produce, only to have it rotting in the back of a truck & then having to deal with a reduced shelf life, once you finally get it to shelves.
tabascoboy

Who is telling the truth? Definitely seems that high energy costs for greenhouse growers have reduced supply as they can't afford to keep them heated over winter - so multiple factors and Brexit not helping.

dpedin

fishfoodie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:51 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:42 pm It's not a Brexit issue. There are not enough tomatoes to ship. Crops were destroyed by bad weather.

Its not solely a Brexit issue, but it is a factor !

The extra costs, & delays associated with Brexit don't make exporting to the UK more attractive, than just sending them to the single market. If your margins are down to the bone, you don't want to be importing expensive produce, only to have it rotting in the back of a truck & then having to deal with a reduced shelf life, once you finally get it to shelves.
This - a number of factors are to blame for disruption to the supply chain, including Brexit. At the end of the day suppliers will always choose the cheapest, easiest and best paying route to a market and Brexit has made the route into the UK much, much more difficult. Why would suppliers bother with all the red tape, delays and costs involved when they can drive a shorter distance and find an easier market for their produce? Remember at the moment it is even worse on the return journey unless they come back with empty lorries from UK - which would ramp up the costs hugely! We will continue to be the butt end of the supply chain unless we increase the price we are willing to pay in order to cover the extra costs involved in sending produce to the UK - this might lead to higher inflation ... oh wait! Remember the UK has still to introduce full customs checks for all goods coming into the country - this has been delayed any number of times and is now put back to Jan 2024. That will be even more fun!
tc27

Looks like a deal has being reached regarding the NIP.
Marylandolorian

tc27 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:27 pm Looks like a deal has being reached regarding the NIP.
Chocking

LONDON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has struck a new deal on post-Brexit trade rules for Northern Ireland, gambling that the reward of better ties with the European Union is worth any discord it might cause within his own party.
SaintK

tc27 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:27 pm Looks like a deal has being reached regarding the NIP.
Depends which spinners you are reading! I'm hoping they have agreed something positive and the blonde slug who signed the"oven ready" deal will have nowhere to go on Brexit anymore
For what it’s worth, DUP sources tell me they will take days to determine whether Sunak’s deal does what he’ll insist is written on the tin. So it will be some time before we know whether the DUP is prepared to end its block on the devolved government in Northern Ireland - though my hunch is the DUP will ultimately be disappointed and the assembly and executive in the province will NOT belatedly be reconstituted.
Word amongst Tory MPs in the tea room is @RishiSunak
has pulled off quite a deal. One tells me: “It is absolutely jaw dropping what @RishiSunak
has managed to get out of the EU.” Early signs from Tories familiar with DUP thinking: they are encouraged
Hal Jordan

The fact that the DUP haven't just come out yelling, "Never, never, never!" is promising in and of itself.

I wonder what the not "stupid" ERG have to say for themselves.
sturginho

Marylandolorian wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:36 pm
Chocking

LONDON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has struck a new deal on post-Brexit trade rules for Northern Ireland, gambling that the reward of better ties with the European Union is worth any discord it might cause within his own party.
And he did it without threatening to break the law? How about that :bimbo:
GogLais

SaintK wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:39 pm
Depends which spinners you are reading! I'm hoping they have agreed something positive and the blonde slug who signed the"oven ready" deal will have nowhere to go on Brexit anymore
I suppose so although it would be entertaining watching them tear themselves to bits over it.
Insane_Homer

The PM confirms MPs will get a vote on the agreement
uh oh!
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
GogLais

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:27 pm
uh oh!
I thought all they have to do is ask the DUPes.
SaintK

Von der Leyen says, as soon as the deal is agreed, the EU will begin the process of admitting the UK into the Horizon programme. That is good news for researchers, she says
That's a positive!
Hal Jordan

uh oh!
I suspect that if it's even halfway reasonable Labour will vote for it to steal Sunak's thunder, especially if the headbangers is his own Party are kicking off.
tabascoboy

uh oh!
Von der Leyen is asked why Rishi Sunak has been able to strike a deal to change the protocol when his predecessor Boris Johnson could not.

The EU chief says there was a "very constructive attitude" to find solutions.
The "oven-ready deal" reheated then? You can bet there are still a few hardcore types who will spit the dummy at this, could be an opportunity to root them out once and for all if they screw the pooch - unless they are all mouth and no trousers
SaintK

tabascoboy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:51 pm
uh oh!
Von der Leyen is asked why Rishi Sunak has been able to strike a deal to change the protocol when his predecessor Boris Johnson could not.

The "oven-ready deal" reheated then? You can bet there are still a few hardcore types who will spit the dummy at this, could be an opportunity to root them out once and for all if they screw the pooch - unless they are all mouth and no trousers
There was never going to be an agreement whilst Barnier and Frost/Johnson were involved
dpedin

SaintK wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:59 pm
tabascoboy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:51 pm

uh oh!

There was never going to be an agreement whilst Barnier and Frost/Johnson were involved
Unionists and ERG/Brexiteers are desperate for the deal to fail. The Unionists need Brexit to fail to avoid going back to Stormont as the minor partner, they will choke on their Union Jacks if they have to serve in a Sinn Fein Assembly. The ERG/Brexiteers need an enemy, someone to blame for the shitfest disaster that Brexit is creating for the UK economy. Take away the baddy EU so called NIP problem and neither of these bunch of twats have a target or someone to blame and use to justify their existence. As a result they will have to own the shit they have created and perpetuate for their own ends. This is an existential threat to both of them and they wont go down without a fight, and in the unionists case this might unfortunately mean a real fight with real blood spilt!
Marylandolorian

SaintK wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:34 pm
Von der Leyen says, as soon as the deal is agreed, the EU will begin the process of admitting the UK into the Horizon programme. That is good news for researchers, she says
That's a positive!
Yep, as I said before in this thread, this was a perfect example of a lose/lose situation .
SaintK

Gav

uh oh!
Presumably there'll be enough support across the benches to carry it. I'd hate to think Labour would oppose the deal and impose the whip.
GogLais

Gav wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:57 pm
uh oh!
Presumably there'll be enough support across the benches to carry it. I'd hate to think Labour would oppose the deal and impose the whip.
Starmer has been on saying they will support it.
Insane_Homer

Guaranteed the Boris Brexit psychopaths will actually read this one, to pick holes in it, before voting against it.

One by one each of the mad Nads will gleefully proclaim to the press on breakfast TV that there is no way they could in good faith vote for a deal that has part 4, para 5 line z, y & z in it.

To have it then pointed out hours later that part 4, para 5 line z, y & z where unchanged from Boris' oven ready deal that they voted for 4 times in a row (and never read) to get it done!
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
fishfoodie

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:47 pm Guaranteed the Boris Brexit psychopaths will actually read this one, to pick holes in it, before voting against it.
Yep !

The DUP aren't going to vote for this, they can't !

Everyone in GB talks about the DUP as if it isn't as divided as every other Political Party.

1. Peanut brain Ian, & Shouty Sammy aren't going to vote for it, because they both think that microbe brain Ian should be Leader.
2. The DUP didn't walk out of the assembly because they object to the NIP; they walked out because they're bigots, & they have fought against Nationalists having any Political power since the foundation of the Party. If it was Ian Sr still running the Party, he could convince the grass roots to trust him, & if anyone dared to call him a Lundy, he'd rip off their heads & shit down their neck.

Robinson is a weak leader, & has the personality of used car salesman, & if he wants to stay in post, he'll vote against this, claim betrayal, & come up with a different reason for not taking their seats in the Assembly.
Biffer

Steve Baker just on the radio saying the NI deal will allow us to ‘move past this awful populism we’ve suffered from’.

The brass neck of these cunts.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?