The Brexit Thread

Where goats go to escape
dpedin

Anyone surprised?

Hal Jordan

UK to rejoin Horizon, it seems.
fishfoodie

EnergiseR2 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:09 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:04 pm UK to rejoin Horizon, it seems.
I am going to post on the Daily Mail comments that being in horizon means 10% of the funded innovation has to be from LGBTQ sources
Is that just the, "Jewish Space Lasers" projects, or does it also include the, "Drinking Treated water makes white people sterile" projects ?
Biffer

I am going to post on the Daily Mail comments that being in horizon means 10% of the funded innovation has to be from LGBTQ sources
Ooh, can you put in something about pronoun declarations being compulsory in papers published from the research?
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
dpedin

Biffer wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:59 pm
Ooh, can you put in something about pronoun declarations being compulsory in papers published from the research?
Remember and tell them that one of the new requirements will be that all research publications will have to be written in French.
Hal Jordan

dpedin wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:05 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:59 pm

Remember and tell them that one of the new requirements will be that all research publications will have to be written in French.
I heard it was German.
dpedin

Apparently the best way to do Brexit is not to implement large swathes of it! Rejoining Horizon, keeping the CE mark and scrapping the home grown version, not implementing border checks and tariffs on imports from EU, delaying rules of origin on electric cars ... it is all going swimmingly well? What next - rejoin Erasmus, bring back FoM? Looks like a slow creep back to where we were over the next decade but at huge cost to the UK economy and lower standards of living for us all!
Sandstorm

dpedin wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:09 am Apparently the best way to do Brexit is not to implement large swathes of it! Rejoining Horizon, keeping the CE mark and scrapping the home grown version, not implementing border checks and tariffs on imports from EU, delaying rules of origin on electric cars ... it is all going swimmingly well? What next - rejoin Erasmus, bring back FoM? Looks like a slow creep back to where we were over the next decade but at huge cost to the UK economy and lower standards of living for us all!
Who saw that coming?
dpedin

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:28 pm Decent effort :lol:
https://archive.ph/2023.09.10-130644/ht ... -the-proms
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... and of course the twats have to criticise the BBC for all the EU flags! What is BBC supposed to do - ban EU flags, pixelate them out, stop the music until everyone puts their EU flags away? The Brexiteers really are a bunch of miserable moaning snowflakes.
mat the expat

Just back from my first visit back to the UK in 6 years.

Fuck me - how many potholes?!

It was a little depressing TBH, looked very run-down
SaintK

mat the expat wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:54 am Just back from my first visit back to the UK in 6 years.

Fuck me - how many potholes?!

It was a little depressing TBH, looked very run-down
Not sure that's anything to do with Brexit?
More to do with 13 years of Tory austerity and budget cuts to the local authorities responsible for roads etc
Yes, this country is looking extremely shoddy
mat the expat

Of course it's got links to Brexit
dpedin

mat the expat wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:49 am Of course it's got links to Brexit
c4% hit to GDP will have an effect on everyones quality and standard of living. It is slowly but surely hitting all aspects of UK Gov, local Gov and individual spending. It's shit and we know it. Implementing border checks and tariffs on EU imports will hit us even harder when, or if, the Gov ever decide to implement them. Even they know and admit that Brexit will add to costs, increase inflation and lead to shortages. Sunny uplands ...
Rhubarb & Custard

I'd still like the government to have to confirm not an estimate of how much business has spent on Brexit, preparations and ongoing costs but how much has government spent, not so much the referendum, not even just the cost of running the Department for Mythical Brexit Benefits, but the cost of every person in government, local and central, and all civil servants co-opted for myriad departments to review and consider new functions and then set about making that a reality

And then justify that spend to make the country poorer every time they want to claim they haven't got the money for something else
dpedin

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:58 am I'd still like the government to have to confirm not an estimate of how much business has spent on Brexit, preparations and ongoing costs but how much has government spent, not so much the referendum, not even just the cost of running the Department for Mythical Brexit Benefits, but the cost of every person in government, local and central, and all civil servants co-opted for myriad departments to review and consider new functions and then set about making that a reality

And then justify that spend to make the country poorer every time they want to claim they haven't got the money for something else
You'd have more chance asking Scientologists to justify their spending on their beliefs about Ron Hubbard, Xenu and Thetans! Sovereignty exists in the same way in the minds of the Brexiteers - it's a belief, a state of mind, an end point to always be strived for but never to be achieved. To try and define it in any rational way just means you are a remoaner fighting against the sovereign state of the mighty UK and denying us the rightful place in the world. If you step out of line the Brexiteers Chief Auditor JRM will come for you - just like the child catcher in Chitty Chatty Bang Bang.
Hal Jordan

Lord Frost is already banging out the Great Betrayal articles to absolve the purity of his Brexit vision from any blame.
Line6 HXFX

Gawd alive, look Brexit is done. The UK shot itself in the head, willingly, it will keep doing this as long as there is a rightwing press and old people.

The only question you have to ask yourself is is your one life on this earth worth old, bitter, bigoted miserable brain dead cunts deciding your future, and the furure of your kids.

If you can go, git.
If you can't...I mean there are always anti depressants and alcohol.
Rhubarb & Custard

You'd have to be dumb af to think Brexit is done. It's no more done than being a member was a done thing, there will always be what's next both in terms of what you want to progress and what imperatives the events of the day throw your way. And of course it's simply not done because a lot of it hasn't been negotiated, enforced, rather May, Boris and Sunk have all kicked the can many times down the road, I suppose you can at least absolve Truss from joining in with the can kicking, for reasons.
lemonhead

Hal Jordan wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:09 pm Lord Frost is already banging out the Great Betrayal articles to absolve the purity of his Brexit vision from any blame.
Evident many years ago, without traitors there's no narrative left to spin.
dpedin

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:04 am You'd have to be dumb af to think Brexit is done. It's no more done than being a member was a done thing, there will always be what's next both in terms of what you want to progress and what imperatives the events of the day throw your way. And of course it's simply not done because a lot of it hasn't been negotiated, enforced, rather May, Boris and Sunk have all kicked the can many times down the road, I suppose you can at least absolve Truss from joining in with the can kicking, for reasons.
Exactly this - anyone who thinks the worst impact of Brexit has happened then think again! Here is a classic example of where the UK has used its Brexit 'freedoms' to decide to poison itself! This is just going to continue and get worse - think of all the shit in the streams, rivers and beaches once we were freed of EU regulations and multiply it by 100 or a 1,000 or more!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -use-in-eu
Tichtheid

I assumed that Line 6 meant that Brexit was “done” in that the decision has been made, not that we’ve seen all the consequences coming our way.
dpedin

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:31 pm I assumed that Line 6 meant that Brexit was “done” in that the decision has been made, not that we’ve seen all the consequences coming our way.
As a 10 handicap golfer I've just decided to be a scratch golfer - decision made - that was easy! I will worry about implementation tomorrow, actually maybe next week .. or the week after. Cant be that difficult surely?
Insane_Homer

brexshit dead.jpg
brexshit dead.jpg (165.62 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
dpedin

As of January 2024 the UK starts phased intro of Borders checks on EU goods coming into UK. Health certificates and phytosanitary certificates will be required for imports of ‘medium risk’ animal products, plants, and plant products (such as raw/chilled/frozen meat and dairy products) as well as ‘high risk’ food (predominantly live animals) and feed of non-animal origin from the EU.

From end of April Documentary checks (ensuring goods have correct paperwork e.g., health and phytosanitary certificates), physical checks (ensuring goods meet sanitary and phytosanitary rules), and identity checks (verifying that the goods in the consignment are those that are on the documentation) will be made on ‘medium risk’ animal products, plants, and plant products as well as ‘high risk’ food and feed of non-animal origin from the EU.

October will see the safety and security declarations required.

I suspect this will mean many producers won't bother trying to send goods into UK due to extra costs and hassle. Those that do will increase prices due to the extra costs involved. Stock up on your Italian salami, French brie, German bratwurst and Spanish chorizo now!

Sunlit uplands and no downside!
TheNatalShark

dpedin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:54 amOctober will see the safety and security declarations required.

I suspect this will mean many producers won't bother trying to send goods into UK due to extra costs and hassle.
All major players and most SMEs are on board, and have been for some time? The problem, as it has always been (but not in isolation), is the custom's capacity to process in a timely manner.

I suspect there is a plenty of readiness to quietly wave through if delays become visible, with cost kept narrowed to normal public health risk factor. The secondary issue is then the ability (and cost) to capacity build in the live environment - if its needed. I imagine you agree, this close to election time, that will be further waved away for labour to pick up the pieces and costs to resolve.
dpedin

TheNatalShark wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:21 pm
dpedin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:54 amOctober will see the safety and security declarations required.

I suspect this will mean many producers won't bother trying to send goods into UK due to extra costs and hassle.
All major players and most SMEs are on board, and have been for some time? The problem, as it has always been (but not in isolation), is the custom's capacity to process in a timely manner.

I suspect there is a plenty of readiness to quietly wave through if delays become visible, with cost kept narrowed to normal public health risk factor. The secondary issue is then the ability (and cost) to capacity build in the live environment - if its needed. I imagine you agree, this close to election time, that will be further waved away for labour to pick up the pieces and costs to resolve.
Yep the delay has been to keep pushing it out until it becomes someone else's problem, in this case a new Labour Gov. The timing is not accidental given clever money is on a May GE.
Uncle fester

fishfoodie

At last, Brexit benefit !
Pint-sized bottles of still and sparkling wine are to appear on shelves in the UK, the government has said.

The new 568ml size will offer more choice for customers, according to the Department for Business and Trade.

It also said it will not introduce new rules on selling in imperial measures.

Legislation to be tabled in the new year will see the pint-sized bottles sold in supermarkets, pubs, clubs and restaurants.

After Brexit, ministers had looked at changing laws inherited from the EU that mean traders can use Britain's traditional weighing system only alongside the metric one.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67795075

I don't who actually wanted this shit but apparently its more important than anything else the Department for Business and Trade had to work on.
tabascoboy

fishfoodie wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:36 am At last, Brexit benefit !
Pint-sized bottles of still and sparkling wine are to appear on shelves in the UK, the government has said.

The new 568ml size will offer more choice for customers, according to the Department for Business and Trade.

It also said it will not introduce new rules on selling in imperial measures.

Legislation to be tabled in the new year will see the pint-sized bottles sold in supermarkets, pubs, clubs and restaurants.

After Brexit, ministers had looked at changing laws inherited from the EU that mean traders can use Britain's traditional weighing system only alongside the metric one.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67795075

I don't who actually wanted this shit but apparently its more important than anything else the Department for Business and Trade had to work on.
Wonder how many companies will actually even bother to take that up? Hardly any sell half bottles as it is so why this weird in-between volume - it's not like beer with it's tradition of selling in pints...what next...spirits too?

Still, what an amazing Brexit win. Yay :lolno:
Uncle fester

Tories working hard on the stuff that matters.
Uncle fester

fishfoodie

Map just needs a, "Here be dragons" note
tabascoboy

fishfoodie wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:32 pm Map just needs a, "Here be dragons" note
Or "Terra ducti asinis"
laurent

"feckin' eejits" could be apt
Deepsouth

Reveling over the carcass is quite unseemly, gentleman...
Camroc2

Uncle fester wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:14 pm
This can not be serious ?

One of the main reasons for the revision of the TEN-T corridors, is exactly because the UK has left the EU.
tabascoboy

Camroc2 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:41 pm

One of the main reasons for the revision of the TEN-T corridors, is exactly because the UK has left the EU.
Original source is the Daily Express, so yes they put a predictable "How dare they!" slant on it, while of course neglecting to mention the actual reason why it's being done without us
Dinsdale Piranha

Camroc2 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:41 pm

That's up there with Nadine Dorries complaining that the Brexit deal with the EU would leave us without any representation in the EU parliament :wtf
Hal Jordan

Pint of wine, anyone?
Insane_Homer

JRM needed this win after his imperial units plan got quietly Sunakered.

This has to be the first real tangible benefit from Brexshit, a real winner.
I wonder what the calculated net benefit for the next 5 years will be? It could be has high as a few thousand £ per year.

I can't wait to go to the pub and order the nasty house red and get it served in a pint glass 👍
Do you think we'll get nice unique branded glasses?
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”