The Brexit Thread

Where goats go to escape
The sun god

EnergiseR2 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:24 am That was one of the Brexit wanks Patterson who started that shite. Said something stupid like trade wrh Ireland was tiny when he was looking at the trade from NI rather than the whole of the UK. The export figure was of course much higher pre Brexit
Bunch of either complete idiots or corrupt bastards. Your guess as good as mine.
dpedin

Insane_Homer

Taking back Control!!!

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
dpedin

Although car production is falling world wide the UK seems particularly hard hit since 2016 - I wonder why?

dpedin

Read thread .... this is where our lack of growth has gone!
dpedin

More Brexiteers rowing back from Brexit! This was not the Brexit I wanted says prominent Brexiteer Lord Wolfson as his company suffers from the Brexit he voted for. Why can't they just say we fecked up and we are sorry?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988
sturginho

Brexit isnt bad, it just hasn't been done properly!
Hal Jordan

dpedin wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:43 am More Brexiteers rowing back from Brexit! This was not the Brexit I wanted says prominent Brexiteer Lord Wolfson as his company suffers from the Brexit he voted for. Why can't they just say we fecked up and we are sorry?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988
Sunk cost fallacy, or genuine true believer fervour.
Mahoney

dpedin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:24 pm Although car production is falling world wide the UK seems particularly hard hit since 2016 - I wonder why?

That’s a dreadful graph:
  • Y index not going to 0
  • No context prior to 2016 - is this a new trend?
  • No comparator - what’s been happening in other car producing nations?
Perhaps the trend is new from 2016, significant, and unique to the UK, but that graph does not show it.
Wha daur meddle wi' me?
dpedin

Mahoney wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 am
dpedin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:24 pm Although car production is falling world wide the UK seems particularly hard hit since 2016 - I wonder why?

That’s a dreadful graph:
  • Y index not going to 0
Perhaps the trend is new from 2016, significant, and unique to the UK, but that graph does not show it.
Don't disagree about the index not going to 0 - contact SMMT to criticise. Although this impacts on the visual interpretation of the graph it doesn't negate the figure provided.

As I said in my post car production fell world wide since 2016 but for wider context in EU it fell by 33% in the UK it has fallen 56% since the same date. Whilst the implication is that this is related to Brexit decision and impact on car manufacturing in UK it is also true that correlation does not imply causation. However .....

I would humbly suggest that the 6 years of data begins to suggests this is a trend.
tabascoboy

Useless Eustice speaks, don't think this is news to anyone, especially our farmers but - well, from the horse's mouth...

Insane_Homer

FML

Dinsdale Piranha

dpedin wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:43 am
Mahoney wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 am

That’s a dreadful graph:
  • Y index not going to 0
Don't disagree about the index not going to 0 - contact SMMT to criticise. Although this impacts on the visual interpretation of the graph it doesn't negate the figure provided.

As I said in my post car production fell world wide since 2016 but for wider context in EU it fell by 33% in the UK it has fallen 56% since the same date. Whilst the implication is that this is related to Brexit decision and impact on car manufacturing in UK it is also true that correlation does not imply causation. However .....

I would humbly suggest that the 6 years of data begins to suggests this is a trend.
About half of that drop is Honda closing the Swindon plant. That would have happened anyway but might have been brought forward because of Brexit. Production at Swindon had been dropping for almost a decade.

The EU trade deal with Japan removed the import duties on vehicles so Honda UK is then competing with Honda Japan for sales to the EU.
Hal Jordan

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:37 pm FML

His problem is he has to appeal to the Red Wall gammons to get elected. They deserted Labour for the Tory headbangers who promised an easy Brexit, with a done deal and jam all day every day, and to win them back he can't just tell the truth, he has to be vague enough to keep them happy that sovereignty is safe, without going full ERG and pissing off the voters that are more realistic about the shitshow.
fishfoodie

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:09 pm
His problem is he has to appeal to the Red Wall gammons to get elected. They deserted Labour for the Tory headbangers who promised an easy Brexit, with a done deal and jam all day every day, and to win them back he can't just tell the truth, he has to be vague enough to keep them happy that sovereignty is safe, without going full ERG and pissing off the voters that are more realistic about the shitshow.
I posted a video awhile back from one of the think tanks; & one of the interesting things they extracted from the many surveys, was that UK voters identified far more strongly with their Brexit position, than with any political allegiance; so there's no such thing as a Labour-Brexiteer, or Labour-Remainer; instead they are Leavers, or Remainers who usually vote for Labour, & no Labour leader can ignore that reality.

There is much less of a conundrum for the Tories,because they've essentially expelled all Remainers.
Insane_Homer

Taking control of our borders has gone so well, we've now resorted to paying the French to do it for us.
Insane_Homer

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:09 pm His problem is he has to appeal to the Red Wall gammons to get elected. They deserted Labour for the Tory headbangers who promised an easy Brexit, with a done deal and jam all day every day, and to win them back he can't just tell the truth, he has to be vague enough to keep them happy that sovereignty is safe, without going full ERG and pissing off the voters that are more realistic about the shitshow.
Does he though, recent polls consistently indicate otherwise?

He's taking a massive risk alienating a lot of his base support by pandering to a group of diminishing hardcore Brexshit racist loon hangers-on, who would never vote for him regardless.

Brexit has proved to be an expensive cluster fuck, to intimate he's got some secret plan to actually make it work is utter hair-brained bollocks.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
I like neeps

Insane_Homer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:18 am
Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:09 pm His problem is he has to appeal to the Red Wall gammons to get elected. They deserted Labour for the Tory headbangers who promised an easy Brexit, with a done deal and jam all day every day, and to win them back he can't just tell the truth, he has to be vague enough to keep them happy that sovereignty is safe, without going full ERG and pissing off the voters that are more realistic about the shitshow.
Does he though, recent polls consistently indicate otherwise?

He's taking a massive risk alienating a lot of his base support by pandering to a group of diminishing hardcore Brexshit racist loon hangers-on, who would never vote for him regardless.

Brexit has proved to be an expensive cluster fuck, to intimate he's got some secret plan to actually make it work is utter hair-brained bollocks.
Indeed hardcore brexiteers up norf will vote for the Farage/Tice reform party not labour.

Starmer needs to pounce on Jeremy Hunt and Eustace and senior Tories saying brexit is bad actually and stop pretending he can make the unworkable work.
SaintK

Rees-Mogg and the ERG will call this fake news I'm sure!
dpedin

SaintK wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 am Rees-Mogg and the ERG will call this fake news I'm sure!
Interesting it is YouGov poll given who helped found the company!
dpedin

I'm still confused about what it is the hard line Brexiteers think they are protecting by not having better trading deals with the EU. The reality is in any trade deals we will have to align rules and regulations with our trading partners to some extent and given we are Johnny No Mates and small in comparison to most trading partners/blocs then we will inevitably have to accept someone's rules and regulations be it EU, US or Australia/NZ. This really is lunacy now, for the sake of the country and our economic health we need some adults in charge pretty quick.
petej

dpedin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:11 pm
I'm still confused about what it is the hard line Brexiteers think they are protecting by not having better trading deals with the EU. The reality is in any trade deals we will have to align rules and regulations with our trading partners to some extent and given we are Johnny No Mates and small in comparison to most trading partners/blocs then we will inevitably have to accept someone's rules and regulations be it EU, US or Australia/NZ. This really is lunacy now, for the sake of the country and our economic health we need some adults in charge pretty quick.
Emotional not rational. The really painful thing will be being a rule taker when we were one of the rule makers (and admitting that brexit has cost us so much for no benefit). A much easier thing for those that haven't instigated brexit.
tabascoboy

The Observer reports that a major free trade agreement signed between Britain and Japan post-Brexit has been labelled a failure after government figures revealed exports had fallen since it came into force. In October 2020, then-trade secretary Liz Truss signed the deal, calling it a "landmark moment" for Britain. However, figures from the Department for International Trade show exports to Japan fell from £12.3bn to £11.9bn in the year to June 2022, the paper reports.
Hal Jordan

Something something Putin something something Ukraine something something look at Germany's GDP something something BELIEVE
SaintK

tabascoboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am
The Observer reports that a major free trade agreement signed between Britain and Japan post-Brexit has been labelled a failure after government figures revealed exports had fallen since it came into force. In October 2020, then-trade secretary Liz Truss signed the deal, calling it a "landmark moment" for Britain. However, figures from the Department for International Trade show exports to Japan fell from £12.3bn to £11.9bn in the year to June 2022, the paper reports.
...........but just think of the photo opportunities she had for her social media accounts. Made it all so worthwhile
fishfoodie

SaintK wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:53 am
tabascoboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am
...........but just think of the photo opportunities she had for her social media accounts. Made it all so worthwhile
The cost of all the photographers, & publicists following her everywhere, probably exceed the net benefit to the entire economy of the trade deal
JM2K6

Pissing away our future and making life demonstrably worse for large numbers of people out of cowardice and a desire to appeal to a group of people who do not fucking vote Labour, woohoo
Biffer

Since we’ve signed our trade deal with Japan two years ago, our exports to Japan have decreased.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
dpedin

Going well since we signed the suicide letter!

Brazil

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:27 pm

Pissing away our future and making life demonstrably worse for large numbers of people out of cowardice and a desire to appeal to a group of people who do not fucking vote Labour, woohoo
Whilst the logic is sensible, and accepts the reality that we're not going to be back any time soon, the strength of the rhetoric risks losing a significant constituency which is increasing every day as the cost of brexit is revealed. Whilst the press are clearly trying to set a trap for him, he doesn't need to be so bloody hard over on it every single time he's asked.
petej

Brazil wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 am

Whilst the logic is sensible, and accepts the reality that we're not going to be back any time soon, the strength of the rhetoric risks losing a significant constituency which is increasing every day as the cost of brexit is revealed. Whilst the press are clearly trying to set a trap for him, he doesn't need to be so bloody hard over on it every single time he's asked.
I guess the assumption is outside of Scotland remain inclined voters don't have anywhere else to go. You have to suspect that the lib dems aren't taking a more pro European position as they don't want to take votes away from Labour.
I like neeps

petej wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:57 am

I guess the assumption is outside of Scotland remain inclined voters don't have anywhere else to go. You have to suspect that the lib dems aren't taking a more pro European position as they don't want to take votes away from Labour.
I don't think that's true as Starmer and co are pretty hard brexit these days to not scare anyone off themselves. The Lib Dems current strategy is to hoover up the NIMBY affluent southerner vote who the Tories are losing and you don't do that by advocating remain politics. Their calculation is that single issue rejoin voters don't exist in big enough number to be viable. But cheesed off southern Tories are there for the taking.
petej

I like neeps wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:35 pm
petej wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:57 am

I don't think that's true as Starmer and co are pretty hard brexit these days to not scare anyone off themselves. The Lib Dems current strategy is to hoover up the NIMBY affluent southerner vote who the Tories are losing and you don't do that by advocating remain politics. Their calculation is that single issue rejoin voters don't exist in big enough number to be viable. But cheesed off southern Tories are there for the taking.
They aren't. They know it is a turd. The game they are playing is presenting a small as possible target to shitrags like the express, mail, telegraph and sun. It is a shame they have to do it.

Edit: you can't have the discussion on the costs of brexit until the government that instigated it is out of power. A different government will remove the gag from many public institutions and private companies.
I like neeps

[quote=petej post_id=247782 time=1669648427 user_id=2185]
[quote="I like neeps" post_id=247775 time=1669646137 user_id=208]
[quote=petej post_id=247753 time=1669636649 user_id=2185]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They aren't. They know it is a turd. The game they are playing is presenting a small as possible target to shitrags like the express, mail, telegraph and sun. It is a shame they have to do it.

Edit: you can't have the discussion on the costs of brexit until the government that instigated it is out of power. A different government will remove the gag from many public institutions and private companies.
[/quote]

Aside from the BBC there aren't any public institutions to remove the gag from and private companies/business groups daily lament brexit these days - they aren't gagged at all.

As the Tories have found out governing to placate the press doesn't work. Labour focusing on "clever politics" and not their principles will get in just as big of a mess.
fishfoodie

Sounds like the UK food production sector has about 5 years to go, before extinction.
The UK-Australia trade deal: ‘too much for far too little’

When the UK signed its first major post-Brexit trade deal with Australia last summer, the then trade secretary (and later prime minister) Liz Truss proclaimed it was a “win-win” that would slash tariffs, lower prices and improve choice.

But a year and a half after that jubilant announcement, the trade pact has been criticised by a series of politicians and officials who believe errors were made in the push to secure a UK-Australia deal signed by the culmination of the G7 summit in June 2021.

With Rishi Sunak now pledging to take a more patient approach to signing deals — including with India and membership of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership — business groups and trade experts are warning the UK must be more strategic when cutting future agreements, while also doing more to win public support at home for international trade.

According to multiple senior Whitehall officials, the Australia trade agreement was rushed through due to the hard political deadline set by Truss, combined with a lack of negotiating expertise and experience. “We were trying to move too fast, with not enough care,” one senior civil servant said.

The result was a pact that experts believe was tilted in Australia’s direction — and was particularly advantageous for its farming industry — because of the desire to get the first major post-Brexit deal over the line. George Eustice, the former environment secretary, admitted last month the deal “gave away far too much for far too little in return”.

https://www.ft.com/content/bb70437e-b56 ... 2424c0b0de

Of course; the ability to ditch this shitty deal, is another arrow in the quiver of the SNP, when it comes to pitching the advantages of Scottish Independance. !
dpedin

It really isn't going well is it! The loss of revenue to the UK Gov is just horrendous and one of the main underlying factors around why the Gov is trying to play hardball (misjudged badly) with the public sector pay. Feck knows what they think the next few years are going to be like, it must be awful if they are prepared to die in the ditch over nurses and ambulance pay. Buckle in guys!
SaintK

What everyone knows but the government can't admit to and repeatedly lie about
This morning the British Chambers of Commerce has published a damning report on how that trade deal (the trade and cooperation agreement, or TCA, to give it its formal title, is performing, and it’s damning.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ ... uk-firms
Slick

fishfoodie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:18 pm Sounds like the UK food production sector has about 5 years to go, before extinction.
The UK-Australia trade deal: ‘too much for far too little’

When the UK signed its first major post-Brexit trade deal with Australia last summer, the then trade secretary (and later prime minister) Liz Truss proclaimed it was a “win-win” that would slash tariffs, lower prices and improve choice.

But a year and a half after that jubilant announcement, the trade pact has been criticised by a series of politicians and officials who believe errors were made in the push to secure a UK-Australia deal signed by the culmination of the G7 summit in June 2021.

With Rishi Sunak now pledging to take a more patient approach to signing deals — including with India and membership of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership — business groups and trade experts are warning the UK must be more strategic when cutting future agreements, while also doing more to win public support at home for international trade.

According to multiple senior Whitehall officials, the Australia trade agreement was rushed through due to the hard political deadline set by Truss, combined with a lack of negotiating expertise and experience. “We were trying to move too fast, with not enough care,” one senior civil servant said.

The result was a pact that experts believe was tilted in Australia’s direction — and was particularly advantageous for its farming industry — because of the desire to get the first major post-Brexit deal over the line. George Eustice, the former environment secretary, admitted last month the deal “gave away far too much for far too little in return”.

https://www.ft.com/content/bb70437e-b56 ... 2424c0b0de

Of course; the ability to ditch this shitty deal, is another arrow in the quiver of the SNP, when it comes to pitching the advantages of Scottish Independance. !
In Oz at the moment and every conversation I have that brings up the current state of the U.K. (most) the locals are actively laughing in my face about this deal.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
PornDog

dpedin wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:16 am

It really isn't going well is it! The loss of revenue to the UK Gov is just horrendous and one of the main underlying factors around why the Gov is trying to play hardball (misjudged badly) with the public sector pay. Feck knows what they think the next few years are going to be like, it must be awful if they are prepared to die in the ditch over nurses and ambulance pay. Buckle in guys!
I know it will continue to compound, but that's actually less of an impact than I was expecting. £33bn to GDP is obviously a big hit, but for an economy the size of the UK's it could be much worse.