Another mass shooting in the US

Where goats go to escape
geordie_6

inactionman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 pm
SaintK wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:37 pm The Republican representative of the district where the shootings took place was "utterly heartbroken"
Tennessee representative Andrew Ogles, who represents the district where the Covenant school is located, said he was “utterly heartbroken” over the shooting in a statement released on Monday, reported the Washington Post.
This was Christmas card he sent out last year

I've a few mates who almost live for scuba diving, it would be weird for them to send a Christmas card with picture of them in wetsuits.

It's just a really odd thing to do, before you even factor in the fact it's kids holding guns.
He hasn't had the strength to stand by his arse backward convictions either, since the shooting in Nashville the photo has apparently been deleted from his social media.
Uncle fester

Simian wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:36 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:09 pm
CM11 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:50 pm Tbf, I think if you just focused on gun control you'd miss some causes. It's definitely a factor but the US has gone batshit in the last 20 years so I'd say it's also more and more people being disenfranchised by the way society has gone. There's just too much shit to deal with for some.
Plenty of guns in Canada as well but way less gun deaths.
Canada has ~35 guns per hundred people (at the high end internationally). US has ~120 guns per hundred people.

I think it’s unlikely that the US being a huge outlier in terms of how common both guns and mass shootings are is a coincidence. (Not suggesting you said it was. My pout is just that, even compared to countries where guns are common, guns are a LOT more common in the US)
So approx a quarter of the guns in Canada that they have in the US. I'd be willing to bet Canadian gun deaths are well before a quarter of US gun deaths though.

It's a bit chicken and egg. Too many guns is a problem but also the yanks especially need to be kept away from guns.
sockwithaticket

I suspect the excessive amount of guns per capita in the US reflects factors that explain huge discrepencies in rates of gun deaths like general attitudes towards firearms and the gun culture of the US various other fairly armed countries. For example the Swiss have a fair number of guns, but that ownership is generally geared towards target shooting and the culture is that they have a very specific time and place of use vs. certain parts of America where many of them think they should be allowed to carry a semi-auto rifle to go pick up coffee just because. And of course those with the collections we've been discussing who make possessing weapons an integral part of their identity rather than it simply being an object they possess like a hammer or step ladder.
sockwithaticket

That one I've definitely seen before and it always springs to mind when we talk about Yanks with absurd amounts of guns. Quite aside from the practicality of having such a number, think about how much it must all cost! You could go on a few decent holidays at least for the amount invested into that collection.

Sinkers

I had a little look at this a while ago.
Not rocket science and I’m sure not new news to anyone, but there’s a really, really, really clear and obvious correlation between:
- gun deaths and lax state gun laws
- lax gun laws and gop states
I think the only outlier is New Mexico as a dem state.

Seriously, a 5 year old could see it. And yet…..🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Sandstorm

Should spend his money on re-surfacing that shitty deck.
dpedin

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:30 pm I suspect the excessive amount of guns per capita in the US reflects factors that explain huge discrepencies in rates of gun deaths like general attitudes towards firearms and the gun culture of the US various other fairly armed countries. For example the Swiss have a fair number of guns, but that ownership is generally geared towards target shooting and the culture is that they have a very specific time and place of use vs. certain parts of America where many of them think they should be allowed to carry a semi-auto rifle to go pick up coffee just because. And of course those with the collections we've been discussing who make possessing weapons an integral part of their identity rather than it simply being an object they possess like a hammer or step ladder.
Swiss gun ownership is also tied into military service and it used to be, not sure if still the case, that military rifles were stored in individuals houses. Many weapons are banned and there are strict laws around ownership and use. The Swiss death rate due to gun ownership is very low as a result.
Raggs

dpedin wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:45 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:30 pm I suspect the excessive amount of guns per capita in the US reflects factors that explain huge discrepencies in rates of gun deaths like general attitudes towards firearms and the gun culture of the US various other fairly armed countries. For example the Swiss have a fair number of guns, but that ownership is generally geared towards target shooting and the culture is that they have a very specific time and place of use vs. certain parts of America where many of them think they should be allowed to carry a semi-auto rifle to go pick up coffee just because. And of course those with the collections we've been discussing who make possessing weapons an integral part of their identity rather than it simply being an object they possess like a hammer or step ladder.
Swiss gun ownership is also tied into military service and it used to be, not sure if still the case, that military rifles were stored in individuals houses. Many weapons are banned and there are strict laws around ownership and use. The Swiss death rate due to gun ownership is very low as a result.
Think there were ( or maybe still are) laws about where ammo is stored as well. Completely separate location.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Gumboot

All very well, but...

tabascoboy

Here we go again
Police in Louisville, Kentucky, have confirmed that at least five people have been killed in a shooting in the city.

An additional six people have been injured and taken to local hospitals, including a police officer.

Members of the public have been asked to stay away from a part of East Main.

Video from the area appears to show heavily armed police cordoning off a commercial property in the area.

In a brief news conference, Louisville Police said that officers responding to the report encountered active gunfire.

The shooter is dead. It is unclear what led to his death.

News footage from the scene shows a heavy police presence, with damaged glass and discarded medical equipment at one location.

FBI agents responded to the scene and are helping local police, the bureau said on Twitter.

On Twitter, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear said he was headed to the scene of the shooting.

"Please pray for all of the families impacted and for the city of Louisville," he added.

The city's mayor, Craig Greenberg, also arrived in the area shortly after the shooting.

The incident happened in Louisville's downtown area, close to the Louisville Slugger Field baseball stadium and several blocks from the Kentucky International Convention Centre and Muhammad Ali Centre.

"I was at the stoplight, and the first thing that I saw - there was a guy across the street at the intersection and he was lying down at the entrance to a hotel," an eyewitness told local Fox affiliate WDRB.

Louisville, Kentucky shooting: Five people dead, police say
Last edited by tabascoboy on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niegs

Apparently it's a mental health problem ... but they be fcuked if taxes gonna pay for that... so...

But it's most definitely NOT the guns and defiant attitudes boosted by being allowed to carry a gun.
tabascoboy

They seem to be suggesting it was an ex-employee of the bank, yet another disgruntled act of revenge? Nothing to do with ease of access to guns of course...
bogbunny

tabascoboy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:33 pm Here we go again
Police in Louisville, Kentucky, have confirmed that at least five people have been killed in a shooting in the city.

An additional six people have been injured and taken to local hospitals, including a police officer.

Members of the public have been asked to stay away from a part of East Main.

Video from the area appears to show heavily armed police cordoning off a commercial property in the area.

In a brief news conference, Louisville Police said that officers responding to the report encountered active gunfire.

The shooter is dead. It is unclear what led to his death.

News footage from the scene shows a heavy police presence, with damaged glass and discarded medical equipment at one location.

FBI agents responded to the scene and are helping local police, the bureau said on Twitter.

On Twitter, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear said he was headed to the scene of the shooting.

"Please pray for all of the families impacted and for the city of Louisville," he added.

The city's mayor, Craig Greenberg, also arrived in the area shortly after the shooting.

The incident happened in Louisville's downtown area, close to the Louisville Slugger Field baseball stadium and several blocks from the Kentucky International Convention Centre and Muhammad Ali Centre.

"I was at the stoplight, and the first thing that I saw - there was a guy across the street at the intersection and he was lying down at the entrance to a hotel," an eyewitness told local Fox affiliate WDRB.

Louisville, Kentucky shooting: Five people dead, police say
You are obviously praying to the wrong God you red neck asshole
Kiwias

#146 mass shooting this year (mass being four or more victims).
Guy Smiley

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:07 pm #146 mass shooting this year (mass being four or more victims).
This is week 15 of the year.
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:14 pm
Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:07 pm #146 mass shooting this year (mass being four or more victims).
Falling below the 10 per week mark.
dpedin

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:35 pm
Poor - they need to up their game! Perhaps coaches Trump or DeSantis will give them a good talking to and get the passion and desire back into their game?
Kiwias

dpedin wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:40 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:35 pm

Poor - they need to up their game! Perhaps coaches Trump or DeSantis will give them a good talking to and get the passion and desire back into their game?
We haven't heard much from old Wayne at the NRA lately. He needs to sharpen up his game.
Slick

I’m sure I just correctly read that the AR15 that the gunman bought last week to kill those people will now be auctioned off to the public……

I just laugh these days
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
fishfoodie

Slick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:07 pm I’m sure I just correctly read that the AR15 that the gunman bought last week to kill those people will now be auctioned off to the public……

I just laugh these days
You can just imagine the kind of sober, level headed individual that would buy a mass-murders rifle :crazy:
Hugo

Slick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:07 pm I’m sure I just correctly read that the AR15 that the gunman bought last week to kill those people will now be auctioned off to the public……

I just laugh these days
Fucking hell, that's abysmal. These are dystopic times indeed.
Slick

Hugo wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:01 am

I just laugh these days
Fucking hell, that's abysmal. These are dystopic times indeed.
Apparently that’s what they do routinely with guns the police seize, illegal or otherwise. Get guns off the street then sell them back, utter madness
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Jim Lahey

You would laugh at the (lack of) logic if weren't likely to be used eventually to gun down a few 9 year old kids, or innocent people going about their day.

What an utterly fucked country.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Blackmac

You shouldn't wish death on anyone, but I think we all secretly pray that there will be a disgruntled ex employee at an NRA rally one day soon.
Kawazaki

Blackmac wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:17 am You shouldn't wish death on anyone, but I think we all secretly pray that there will be a disgruntled ex employee at an NRA rally one day soon.

I believe that all guns are banned from NRA events.
Kiwias

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 am
Blackmac wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:17 am You shouldn't wish death on anyone, but I think we all secretly pray that there will be a disgruntled ex employee at an NRA rally one day soon.

So no good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun who breaks in. A real turkey shoot.
Gumboot

I thought the NRA was close to bankruptcy and that Wayne Le Whatsit guy was under investigation for all sorts of dodgy dealing?
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:00 am I thought the NRA was close to bankruptcy and that Wayne Le Whatsit guy was under investigation for all sorts of dodgy dealing?
There was some news about it but their lobbyists are obviously still active and effective. I have not heard whether WLW was actually tried or anything. Quick look on Google and found this
The group is still facing a corruption lawsuit NY AG Letitia James filed in August, 2020, that LaPierre diverted millions to pay for trips and other lavish items
In May, the group made a failed bid to file for bankruptcy to move its organization from New York to Texas
LaPierre admitted that it was done in an effort to avoid litigation in New York, and a judge denied its bankruptcy petition
The National Rifle Association board of directors have voted to reelect CEO Wayne LaPierre his position as the group's chief executive officer - despite a scandal over the group's financing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... wsuit.html
Rhubarb & Custard

I think the NRA are due to go before an appellate court.

They'd filed a motion along the lines of the NY AGs office was biased against the NRA and was seeking to end a non-profit group with whom it disagreed politically in violation of its 1st amendment rights, and that any technical transgression a group like the NRA might fallen foul of (whilst also denying any wrong doing) gave far too great a latitude to the AG's office to go after any non-profit in this situation so the AG's investigation should be terminated, not just for them but to protect non-profits more generally. That was rejected by the courts saying the NRA hadn't put forward "any viable legal claims that the Attorney General’s investigation was unconstitutionally retaliatory or selective."

Seeing as the court said they hadn't put forward ANY viable legal claim they naturally appealed for good reasons and not just as a delaying tactic, and it's that appeal which I think is still pending
tabascoboy

Well it has been a few days since the last one....
Four dead at US teen birthday party shooting

At least four people killed in shooting at 16th birthday party in US state of Alabama on Saturday

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65293737
Kiwias

How come a football team has a pastor?
Niegs

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:10 pm How come a football team has a pastor?
Marginal gains!

Have you not seen this phenomenon?

Kiwias

Niegs wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:18 pm
Marginal gains!

Have you not seen this phenomenon?

It is official: America is a weird country
charltom

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 am

Quite a lot of NRA events are shooting competitions, so that clearly isn't true.
charltom

Strangely enough, this is fairly common in the UK too, as I recently discovered.
Kiwias

charltom wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 am
Strangely enough, this is fairly common in the UK too, as I recently discovered.
At public high schools?
inactionman

Not a mass shooting, but an interesting article on attempts to sue Sig Sauer for selling unsafe guns that are apparently prone to going off by themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... es-on-own/

This bit stood out:
Firearms are one of the few products that are exempt from federal consumer product safety regulations. No regulatory body has the power to investigate alleged defects or impose a mandatory recall of guns. As thousands of P320s circulate in the civilian market, waiting for buyers, SIG Sauer faces lawsuits from at least 70 people who allege the company is selling a defective product.
That took a moment to sink in. There's no regulatory body that can restrict sales of guns that can go off by themselves. Not only can they not stop dangerous idiots with guns, they can't stop dangerous guns.
tabascoboy

inactionman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 pm Not a mass shooting, but an interesting article on attempts to sue Sig Sauer for selling unsafe guns that are apparently prone to going off by themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... es-on-own/

This bit stood out:
Firearms are one of the few products that are exempt from federal consumer product safety regulations. No regulatory body has the power to investigate alleged defects or impose a mandatory recall of guns. As thousands of P320s circulate in the civilian market, waiting for buyers, SIG Sauer faces lawsuits from at least 70 people who allege the company is selling a defective product.
That took a moment to sink in. There's no regulatory body that can restrict sales of guns that can go off by themselves. Not only can they not stop dangerous idiots with guns, they can't stop dangerous guns.
"That would be a violation of mah rights! 2nd Amendment don't say nothin' about trigger locks ''n shit"
GogLais

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:16 am
charltom wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 am
At public high schools?
I’m pretty sure Everton have a chaplain. In dire need of divine assistance as it happens.