Another mass shooting in the US

Where goats go to escape
troglodiet

tabascoboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:08 pm FFS what next?
6-year-old girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into man’s North Carolina yard

A North Carolina 6-year-old and her parents were shot Tuesday night by an angry neighbor who fired at them after a basketball rolled into his yard, a report said.

Kinsley White was wounded along with her mother Ashley Hilderbrand and father William White when a gunman opened fire at around 8 p.m. in Gaston County after he became enraged about the bouncing ball, according to WSOC-TV.

White was critically injured attempting to protect his daughter.

Neighbors told the station a group of kids was playing basketball when the ball bounced into the alleged gunman’s yard.

Suspected shooter Robert Louis Singletary grew angry and ran down the street as he fired at a neighbor, they reportedly said.

Then he came back and began shooting at the family, including the young daughter who needed stitches on her face from bullet fragments, WSOC-TV reported.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/6-year-ol ... lina-yard/

To be fair, it might not have been just a normal firearm incident; perhaps a racism element too.
bogbunny

troglodiet wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:49 pm
6-year-old girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into man’s North Carolina yard

A North Carolina 6-year-old and her parents were shot Tuesday night by an angry neighbor who fired at them after a basketball rolled into his yard, a report said.

Kinsley White was wounded along with her mother Ashley Hilderbrand and father William White when a gunman opened fire at around 8 p.m. in Gaston County after he became enraged about the bouncing ball, according to WSOC-TV.

White was critically injured attempting to protect his daughter.

Neighbors told the station a group of kids was playing basketball when the ball bounced into the alleged gunman’s yard.

Suspected shooter Robert Louis Singletary grew angry and ran down the street as he fired at a neighbor, they reportedly said.

Then he came back and began shooting at the family, including the young daughter who needed stitches on her face from bullet fragments, WSOC-TV reported.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/6-year-ol ... lina-yard/

To be fair, it might not have been just a normal firearm incident; perhaps a racism element too.
White men can't jump?
Hugo

bogbunny wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:55 pm

White men can't jump?
Speaking of which - they are remaking that film - or have done so. Its a shame because the original was a classic, or at least good enough to not be disrespected with a pointless cover version. :thumbdown:
Hal Jordan

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:40 am If your neighbour is in the habit of shooting an AR-15 in his backyard until very late at night and your kids can't get to sleep, DO NOT ASK HIM TO STOP!!

https://apnews.com/article/mass-shootin ... edthetitle
It's OK, Governor Abbott has offered a reward for anyone who offers info to catch the killer of these "illegal immigrants". The GOP. Cunts, all of them.
dpedin

I suspect this is going to end up as the longest thread on this site!
Sinkers

Blackmac wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:29 am
Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 am
Simian wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:00 am

Just needed a good guy with a gun in the car, didn’t they?

What a fucking ridiculous country.
Should have been driving this

Have you see the lawyers comments in that article. Unbelievable bloody country
This one does look a little different to me: I’d imagine deer slugs and a shot gun is a perfectly reasonable and very common combination to have in your home out in the sticks and one that I wouldnt expect to be restricted under any future gun laws.
But the sheer paranoia that makes you use that combination to start shooting at any car that happened to turn into your driveway is the bit that I just can’t imagine.
troglodiet

bogbunny wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:55 pm

White men can't jump?

Also gives new meaning to "he shoots, he scores!!!".
fishfoodie

Pond scum Abbott couldn't resist othering the victims

laurent

cuntry of arseholes...
Jim Lahey

Shooting in school in Serbia by a boy, 9 dead.

May as well highlight it here. The NRA and gun lobby will be all over this when they wake up. The kuntz.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
tabascoboy

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:12 am Shooting in school in Serbia by a boy, 9 dead.

May as well highlight it here. The NRA and gun lobby will be all over this when they wake up. The kuntz.
Another one also this week. Imagine what would happen if a POTUS declared this...
Serbia will be “disarmed”, its president, Aleksandar Vučić, has pledged in an address to the nation, after eight people were killed and 14 wounded in a second mass shooting in the Balkans country in as many days.

Thursday night’s drive-by assault by a 21-year-old with an automatic weapon had followed the death of nine people at the hands of a 13-year-old who opened fire in a school in downtown Belgrade on Wednesday.

Vučić described the 48 hours of bloodshed as an “attack on our entire country” as he announced that registered and illegal arms would be seized in what he said would amount to “an almost complete disarming of Serbia”.

Mass shootings are rare in Serbia but there is a high level of gun ownership. There are more than 760,000 registered firearms in the country of roughly 6.8 million people and many more are held unofficially. A large number of weapons entered the black market after the wars in the Balkans that followed the breakup of Yugoslavia.
tabascoboy

Sigh
Texas shooting: Eight killed by gunman in Allen mall

A gunman has shot and killed eight people shopping at a mall north of Dallas, Texas, emergency services say.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the mall in the city of Allen, as eyewitnesses described a man firing indiscriminately at passers-by.

Police said they shot the gunman dead and believe he acted alone.

Some of the victims are reported to be children. At least seven people are being treated in hospital, three of whom are critically ill.

Allen Fire Chief Jonathan Boyd said seven people - including the gunman - were pronounced dead at the scene and two died later in hospital.

A police officer "heard gunshots, went to the gunshots, engaged the suspect and neutralised the suspect", Allen Police Chief Brian Harvey said.

The victims' ages range from 5 to 51, according to a hospital spokesperson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65515915
dpedin

I know I am now stating the bleeding obvious but the US is now a toxic mess - Trump, right wing loons, QAnon, drugs inc fentanyl, ongoing racial tensions, Fox News, dodgy police forces, etc and guns, lots of guns freely available for anyone and openly carried in normal life. It is descending into a mass shooting nirvana where anyone with a grudge and high/mentally ill or just plain nasty resorts to a gun to settle their issues. Private homes, schools, shopping malls, car parks - nowhere is really safe. What used to be contained within dodgy low rent neighbourhoods is now seen anywhere and everywhere in the good old USofA. The American Dream isn't what they think it is and it is getting worse.

It makes me feel really sad as I loved going to America on golfing holidays but, as I have said before, after our last trip when the local Walmart in a posh area of SC was held up by drugged up twats armed to the gunnels literally 10mins after we had been there we won't be going back.
Jim Lahey

dpedin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:12 am I know I am now stating the bleeding obvious but the US is now a toxic mess - Trump, right wing loons, QAnon, drugs inc fentanyl, ongoing racial tensions, Fox News, dodgy police forces, etc and guns, lots of guns freely available for anyone and openly carried in normal life. It is descending into a mass shooting nirvana where anyone with a grudge and high/mentally ill or just plain nasty resorts to a gun to settle their issues. Private homes, schools, shopping malls, car parks - nowhere is really safe. What used to be contained within dodgy low rent neighbourhoods is now seen anywhere and everywhere in the good old USofA. The American Dream isn't what they think it is and it is getting worse.

It makes me feel really sad as I loved going to America on golfing holidays but, as I have said before, after our last trip when the local Walmart in a posh area of SC was held up by drugged up twats armed to the gunnels literally 10mins after we had been there we won't be going back.
I think I asked on this thread a few pages back when will people stop visiting the US as a result of this madness. Talked with the missus (US citizen with lots of family still there) this morning and we've decided to give it a miss for the foreseeable future.

Obviously the chances of getting caught up in one is miniscule, but the general edgy atmosphere we've felt there on our last few trips hasn't been pleasant, especially with 3 kids in tow. Best to stick to Western Europe or even her native South America :lol:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Calculon

Mate of mine is a teacher at a high school in san antonio texas. two shooter lock downs at is school in the past three months. first one a shoot out spilled onto campus, second one, one of the students dropped his gun so the police was called :lol:
robmatic

Jim Lahey wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:21 pm
dpedin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:12 am I know I am now stating the bleeding obvious but the US is now a toxic mess - Trump, right wing loons, QAnon, drugs inc fentanyl, ongoing racial tensions, Fox News, dodgy police forces, etc and guns, lots of guns freely available for anyone and openly carried in normal life. It is descending into a mass shooting nirvana where anyone with a grudge and high/mentally ill or just plain nasty resorts to a gun to settle their issues. Private homes, schools, shopping malls, car parks - nowhere is really safe. What used to be contained within dodgy low rent neighbourhoods is now seen anywhere and everywhere in the good old USofA. The American Dream isn't what they think it is and it is getting worse.

I think I asked on this thread a few pages back when will people stop visiting the US as a result of this madness. Talked with the missus (US citizen with lots of family still there) this morning and we've decided to give it a miss for the foreseeable future.

Obviously the chances of getting caught up in one is miniscule, but the general edgy atmosphere we've felt there on our last few trips hasn't been pleasant, especially with 3 kids in tow. Best to stick to Western Europe or even her native South America :lol:
I doubt I'll be going for the foreseeable future anyway due to having a small child and no money but went to the US a few times when my wife's family lived in NYC and yeah, it's not just the risk of the shootings, there's police everywhere and I never found that particularly reassuring.
Biffer

US male life expectancy is five years lower than for other developed countries. And it’s because of firearms, opiates and road accidents. And those in turn disproportionately affect the young. If you survive to thirty five or forty, your life expectancy rises up in line with other developed countries.

https://www.ft.com/content/653bbb26-8a2 ... 4a0b774303

One in 25 American five year olds does not make it to their 40th birthday.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
dpedin

robmatic wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:45 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:21 pm

I doubt I'll be going for the foreseeable future anyway due to having a small child and no money but went to the US a few times when my wife's family lived in NYC and yeah, it's not just the risk of the shootings, there's police everywhere and I never found that particularly reassuring.
We loved going to the local bars and having a laugh with the locals, had some great times in the past. However last couple of trips and with SC being a very Trumpy state we just felt the atmosphere change. We had to ignore lot of dumb things said to us about Trump, MAGA, guns, religion, etc to avoid getting into arguments. We had a rule of no politics, no religion and no arguments - just smile and buy everyone a cheap gnats piss beer to avoid any problems. The thing is you never know now if someone who has had a few beers and gets pissed off with something you say is going to go and get their gun to settle their argument. We ended up on last trip having cocktails on the veranda of our house watching the sun go down instead of going out to bars or clubs. Lot safer and cheaper too.
fishfoodie

Just for variety, todays Texan mass murdered decided to drive a Range Rover thru a bus queue of hispanic people; seven dead, & multiple critical

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65521233
Gumboot

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:07 pm That's it isn't it. Why would you being kids there now. Disney has become some sort of lightening rod for stupid MAGA bollox so fucked if I would go there.
We're going there in a few weeks.

Gulp!
fishfoodie

Gumboot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:21 pm
EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:07 pm That's it isn't it. Why would you being kids there now. Disney has become some sort of lightening rod for stupid MAGA bollox so fucked if I would go there.

Gulp!
They have a new, "Must Have", gift for kids, you can pick up over there.

... school back packs made with kevlar !

I don't know if they have the pockets for ballistic plates too, but if they do, it'll help build your 5 year olds core strength hauling all that around as well as a full load of school books :thumbup:
Gumboot

No young kids in tow, thankfully. Just old ones. :wink:
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:15 pm No young kids in tow, thankfully. Just old ones. :wink:
You'll be right, just don't go bouncing any basketballs near private driveways.

(a little envious, I've never visited the 'States)
Enzedder

Gumboot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:15 pm No young kids in tow, thankfully. Just old ones. :wink:
You're game - more balls than brains I reckon. I wouldn't go onto Whakaari with a level 2 warning.

This is the USA travel warning level
Level 2 Exercise Increased Caution
I drink and I forget things.
Torquemada 1420

I don't even know why this is even news any more. "Mass shooting" is defined as one with 4 or more fatalities. Always wondered why 4 instead of 3 or 5 but the real scary figure is 99% of gun related deaths are not mass shootings. Mental numbers for a mental country.
Kiwias

fishfoodie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:34 pm
Gumboot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:21 pm

Gulp!
They have a new, "Must Have", gift for kids, you can pick up over there.

... school back packs made with kevlar !

I don't know if they have the pockets for ballistic plates too, but if they do, it'll help build your 5 year olds core strength hauling all that around as well as a full load of school books :thumbup:
No backpacks in this school district in Flint, Michigan.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/04/11739186 ... n%20Monday.
Ymx

The culture wars in the states is just a mess.

dpedin

Ymx wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:01 am The culture wars in the states is just a mess.

They are doomed I tell you, doomed!
Jim Lahey

Time to burn the place down and start again I reckon.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
TB63

Nope, not a fucked up country at all...
fishfoodie

The Army knew he was a nutter after a few weeks, but Greg Abbott wants to talk about, "Mental Health"
Gunman was removed from US military training

Mauricio Garcia, the 33-year-old Texas man who killed eight people and injured seven after opening fire at a mall in Allen, Texas was removed from US Army training in 2008 due according to Heather J Hagan, US Army Public Affairs Spokeswoman.

In a statement provided to The Independent, Ms Hagan said, “Mauricio Garcia entered the regular Army in June 2008; he was terminated three months later without completing initial entry training. He was not awarded a military occupational specialty. He had no deployments or awards.”

She added that the Army does “not provide characterization of discharge for any soldier.”

However, an Army Official indicated that Garcia’s termination from training was under, “Other designated physical or mental conditions.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 34654.html
TB63

Kiwias

I just re-read the brilliant and searing article by Pete Hamill after he was close at hand when Robert Kennedy was assassinated in 1968
That kid and the bitter Kennedy haters were the same. All those people in New York who hated Kennedy’s guts, who said “eccch” when his name was mentioned, the ones who creamed over Murray Kempton’s vicious diatribes these past few months: they were the same. When Evers died, when King died, when Jack Kennedy died, all the bland pundits said that some good would come of it in some way, that the nation would go through a catharsis, that somehow the bitterness, the hatred, the bigotry, the evil of racism, the glib violence would be erased. That was bullshit. We will have our four-day televised orgy of remorse about Robert Kennedy and then it will be business as usual.

You could feel that as we drove through the empty L.A. streets, listening to the sirens screaming in the night. Nothing would change. Kennedy’s death would mean nothing. It was just another digit in the great historical pageant that includes the slaughter of Indians, the plundering of Mexico, the enslavement of black people, the humiliation of Puerto Ricans. Just another digit. Nothing would come of it. While Kennedy’s life was ebbing out of him, Americans were dropping bombs and flaming jelly on Orientals. While the cops fingerprinted the gunmen, Senator Eastland’s Negro subjects were starving. While the cops made chalk marks on the floor of the pantry, the brave members of the National Rifle Association were already explaining that people commit crimes, guns don’t (as if Willie Mays could hit a homerun without a bat). These cowardly bums claim Constitutional rights to kill fierce deer in the forests, and besides, suppose the niggers come to the house and we don’t have anything to shoot them with? Suppose we have to fight a nigger man-to-man?

America the Beautiful: with crumby little mini-John Waynes carrying guns to the woods like surrogate penises. Yes: the kid I saw shoot Kennedy was from Jordan, was diseased with some fierce hatred for Jews. Sam Yorty, who hated Kennedy, now calls Kennedy a great American and blames the Communists. Hey Sam: you killed him too. The gun that kid carried was American. The city where he shot down a good man was run by Sam Yorty. How about keeping your fat pigstink mouth shut.
https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/ot ... -f-kennedy
tabascoboy

After the two mass shootings recently in Serbia, meanwhile approaching 200 incidents in the US so far this year (!) life goes on as normal...

sockwithaticket

I don't know if it's simply that the media are reporting them rather than there being an actual uptick in numbers, but so many more incidents like this are starting to pop up:

What/who are these people so scared of that they need to blast away at anyone who puts a toe over ther property line? I cannot imagine living my life like that.
Raggs

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:11 am I don't know if it's simply that the media are reporting them rather than there being an actual uptick in numbers, but so many more incidents like this are starting to pop up:

What/who are these people so scared of that they need to blast away at anyone who puts a toe over ther property line? I cannot imagine living my life like that.
There's plenty of mental health issues that can lead to someone being so fearful. It's just in normal countries, they either cower behind their doors or scream and shout (all whilst hopefully also receiving some sort of treatment). In the USA, they have free access to firearms, so just start shooting.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
TB63

If he'd taken careful aim, she'd have won the game...
Niegs

Everytime I see a nightly news feed from there, it’s stories of crime. ‘If it bleeds, it leads.’ Someone with mental health issues and access to weapons gets into a bubble of crime stories and paranoid social media groups…
inactionman

An article about the Rubio family, who lost a daughter in the Uvalde shootings.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-polit ... n-control/

An advance warning - there are a fair few lump-in-throat moments and you'll end up wanting to show Ted Cruz first-hand what a round fired from an AR-15 feels like.
tabascoboy

Doesn't quite qualify as a mass shooting but....
3-year-old shot and injured 2 people in Indiana, including man wanted for murder, police say

A 3-year-old child shot and injured two people in Indiana on Thursday evening, which led to the arrest of a man wanted for murder in Illinois, law enforcement told CNN.

The child got access to a gun and fired one round, striking two people at an apartment in Lafayette, Lafayette Police Department Lt. Justin Hartman told CNN.

Officers responded to a local hospital where the two victims were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries after the shooting, Hartman said. One of the victims is the child’s mother, he added. Police did not say how the child was able to access the gun or what type of weapon was used.

The second shooting victim, identified as 23-year-old Trayshaun Smith, was a friend of the child’s mother who was visiting the apartment, Hartman said. Smith, a resident of Lafayette, was then arrested on an active murder warrant issued out of Cook County, Illinois, the lieutenant said.

CNN has not been able to reach Smith and has been unable able to determine if he has legal representation.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/20/us/i ... index.html