Another mass shooting in the US

Where goats go to escape
Line6 HXFX

I remember when the US blocked the bill that would legislate against high capacity magazines. It was a bill designed so that people could have a chance to intervene and jump the shooter before he could reload, after firing 15 shots, instead of 35 shots.

I mean why the fuck wouldn't you pass it? I was staggered when it failed, still am. Sometimes you just have a jumping off point, throw your arms in the air and conclude they are just a stupid stupid fucking idiot nation, beyond redemption, their democracy is corrupt and in the pocket of lobby groups and rich shit heads.
Hugo

Line6 HXFX wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:05 pm their democracy is corrupt and in the pocket of lobby groups and rich shit heads.
Yeah. Its not really a democracy by any stretch of the imagination, its a system of government where the politicians are all bought off by the rich.

Even if you overlook the fact that the US has been complicit in toppling democratic governments (Iran, Guatemala, Brazil, Chile) Its what makes the countries pretensions at spreading democracy so laughable.
tabascoboy

Not a mass shooting but pertiment all the same. Here we have another citizen "exercising their rights". What a fucked up nation...

Ralph Yarl: Black teen shot at doorstep after ringing wrong doorbell

Protests erupted in Kansas City, Missouri, over the weekend after a homeowner shot a black teenager twice who rang their doorbell by mistake.

Ralph Yarl, 16, was sent by his parents to pick up his brothers from a friend's house on 13 April, but went to the wrong address.

The suspect shot Mr Yarl through his door.

Police have released the shooter from custody but not identified them.

Mr Yarl was released from hospital on Sunday and is recovering at home with his family, his father Paul Yarl told the Kansas City Star.

"He continues to improve," his father told the paper. "He is responsive and is making good progress."

Prominent civil rights lawyers Ben Crump and Lee Merritt are representing Mr Yarl's family in the case. They criticised officials for releasing the suspect, who they say is a white male.

"You can't just shoot people without having justification when somebody comes knocking on your door - and knocking on your door is not justification. This guy should be charged," Mr Crump said.

The suspect was taken to police headquarters to provide a statement before being released. In Missouri, a person taken into custody for a felony investigation must be released or charged within 24 hours.

Investigators are looking into whether or not the suspect is protected by the state's Stand-Your-Ground laws, which grant people permission to use deadly force if they feel seriously in danger. Critics say such laws facilitate violence against black people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65299127
Kiwias

I'll see your shot at the front door going to the wrong house and raise you with being shot after turning into the wrong driveway, despite not getting out of the car and already heading out of the driveway on realising the mistake.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65307556
Simian

Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:52 am I'll see your shot at the front door going to the wrong house and raise you with being shot after turning into the wrong driveway, despite not getting out of the car and already heading out of the driveway on realising the mistake.

Just needed a good guy with a gun in the car, didn’t they?

What a fucking ridiculous country.
Kiwias

Simian wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:00 am
Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:52 am I'll see your shot at the front door going to the wrong house and raise you with being shot after turning into the wrong driveway, despite not getting out of the car and already heading out of the driveway on realising the mistake.

Should have been driving this

Gumboot

Jim Lahey

Wow. Just fucking nuts.

Sometimes I wonder if these fucked up stories are just made up by Russian bots to discredit the US. Like surely half of them can't be true!?
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
robmatic

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:47 am The oul fella at the door was 85 and fuck knows what the 16 year old was saying. Could have been telling his mate to hurry the fuck up and scared the shit out of the old codger. The problem is guns and everyone telling everyone else in the states they need to be scared of each other be that from murder or micro aggressions. You better be on your guard either way
It comes from that whole thing about needing a gun to be on guard against home invasions, as if a reasonable course of action for a criminal to take is to rock up to a random, occupied suburban home and burst in so that you can nick the 10-year old TV.
Jim Lahey

At what point do people become fearful of visiting the US?

I'm not there yet tbf, still have plenty of family and friends there, and need to go twice a year with work. But I do get that uneasy feeling sometimes walking through a shopping mall, thinking is today the day that Michael Douglas from Falling Down is going to be standing behind me in a queue for some food . . . .
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
CM11

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:00 am At what point do people become fearful of visiting the US?

I'm not there yet tbf, still have plenty of family and friends there, and need to go twice a year with work. But I do get that uneasy feeling sometimes walking through a shopping mall, thinking is today the day that Michael Douglas from Falling Down is going to be standing behind me in a queue for some food . . . .
Not all out fear but I've no interest in going there these days and haven't in years. It's just such a batshit country on so many levels.
Slick

CM11 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:09 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:00 am At what point do people become fearful of visiting the US?

Not all out fear but I've no interest in going there these days and haven't in years. It's just such a batshit country on so many levels.
I've no interest either, partly to do with a bit of fear about the gun culture and a bit left over from a pact I made with myself years ago that I wouldn't visit until Guantanamo was closed down. It's now also a bit to do with the mental politicians. I'm quite happy to see the rest of the world I haven't seen rather than encouraging these pricks.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Gumboot

The sprog and I are heading there in a few weeks. We share the same concerns, but are somewhat comforted by the thought that we probably won't be visiting any schools.
tabascoboy

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:47 am The oul fella at the door was 85 and fuck knows what the 16 year old was saying. Could have been telling his mate to hurry the fuck up and scared the shit out of the old codger. The problem is guns and everyone telling everyone else in the states they need to be scared of each other be that from murder or micro aggressions. You better be on your guard either way
Well, guess we should find out exactly what happened
Clay County Prosecutor Zachary Thompson announced that Andrew D. Lester, 84, is charged with first-degree assault and armed criminal action.
Yarl's family and legal team claim the boy rang Lester's doorbell twice before the homeowner opened fire with a .32 revolver. Lee Merritt, one of the family's attorneys, told NBC News that the 16-year-old "was confronted by a man who told him, 'Don't come back around here,' and then he immediately fired his weapon".

According to local reports, Lester told police that he believed someone was breaking into his home and fired two shots through his door. A witness also told a local news station that he heard Yarl "screaming that he had been shot".
laurent

This is getting worse.

Yet they won't do a thing.
dpedin

Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:20 am

The sprog and I are heading there in a few weeks. We share the same concerns, but are somewhat comforted by the thought that we probably won't be visiting any schools.
We used to go to South Carolina every couple of years golfing. Last time we had just got back from local Walmart, situated in a posh area, to discover on local news that a couple of crack heads had decided to hold it up armed with guns about 10mins after we left it. They had a cache of guns, ammo and drugs in their car. Luckily they were so off their heads they were disarmed before any shooting. This plus SC is a very redneck Trumpy state has put us off returning. TBF we were always looked after by the locals but the drugs, particularly Fentanyl, and guns seem to be pervading every neighbourhood now.
tabascoboy

Shooter sounds like some loner nutbar shoot "trespassers" on sight type.
A man in upstate New York was charged with murder on Monday in the killing of a woman who was in a car that mistakenly drove into his driveway, officials said.
"There's clearly no threat from anyone in the vehicle," Sheriff Murphy said. "There's no reason for Mr Monahan to feel threatened."

The friends drove away from the house and attempted to call for help in a nearby town, but Ms Gillis was pronounced dead by paramedics.

Mr Monahan was "uncooperative with the investigation and refused to exit his residence to speak with police", the sheriff's office said in a news release.
sockwithaticket

I've come across comments on various threads about gun incidents where people mention things they've overheard at gun ranges and it seems that there's a non-negligible proportion of American gun owners itching for an opportunity to finally discharge their weapons into another human being. Shooting someone for momentarily being on your driveway seems like an example of that.
Line6 HXFX

Look the only way you get doners and lobbyists out of politics, people like the NRA etc, is publicly funded political parties. Issue vouchers, and give voting age citizens a 50 quid/dollar voucher, to donate to the political party of their choice..Political parties will be funded by the people not NRA or arms dealers, pharmacutical giant types. In the UK just 100 people provide 50% of the funding of political parties, they hold terrific power..it is completely undemocratic..a voucher scheme would put the funding of political parties, directly in the hands of the people.

Simple workable solution, which will motivate your MP to fight tooth and nail for your donation and have to answer to you.

It will change politics overnight.
Jim Lahey

Line6 HXFX wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:26 pm Look the only way you get doners and lobbyists out of politics, people like the NRA etc, is publicly funded political parties. Issue vouchers, and give voting age citizens a 50 quid/dollar voucher, to donate to the political party of their choice..Political parties will be funded by the people not NRA or arms dealers, pharmacutical giant types. In the UK just 100 people provide 50% of the funding of political parties, they hold terrific power..it is completely undemocratic..a voucher scheme would put the funding of political parties, directly in the hands of the people.

Simple workable solution, which will motivate your MP to fight tooth and nail for your donation and have to answer to you.

Nah.

Having the public vote with their vouchers, then vote again at the ballot box sounds like a waste of time. Plus will lead to further radicalisation of politics with waster parties that are unelectable hoovering up resources.

And tbh, not all lobby groups are bad. They raise issues that career politicians have no expertise in. Yes there are some nut job lobby groups but a lot of them play important roles in advising politicians and civil servants.

Plus we are capitalists. You should be able to spend your money how you please (within reason, no guns or slaves please, go easy on the drugs and hookers).
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
inactionman

Line6 HXFX wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:26 pm Look the only way you get doners and lobbyists out of politics, people like the NRA etc, is publicly funded political parties. Issue vouchers, and give voting age citizens a 50 quid/dollar voucher, to donate to the political party of their choice..Political parties will be funded by the people not NRA or arms dealers, pharmacutical giant types. In the UK just 100 people provide 50% of the funding of political parties, they hold terrific power..it is completely undemocratic..a voucher scheme would put the funding of political parties, directly in the hands of the people.

To some extent, this already happens in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Money

Opposition parties are given a certain amount of money by Parliament to support their activities, the amount given depending upon how many seats and votes they hold.

Not exactly super-donor levels, but still a degree of revenue dictated by how many people voted for them.
Line6 HXFX

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Nah.

Having the public vote with their vouchers, then vote again at the ballot box sounds like a waste of time. Plus will lead to further radicalisation of politics with waster parties that are unelectable hoovering up resources.

And tbh, not all lobby groups are bad. They raise issues that career politicians have no expertise in. Yes there are some nut job lobby groups but a lot of them play important roles in advising politicians and civil servants.

Plus we are capitalists. You should be able to spend your money how you please (within reason, no guns or slaves please, go easy on the drugs and hookers).
Voting and donating is a great idea. I could vote for Labour (tactically to oust the Tories) but fund Plaid Cymru, to build up their funds to get us the fzrk out of this shite Union.
Waster parties will finally have to be accountable to the public for their bullshit, instead of super donors, lobbyists and " think tanks" for not shouting the word woke, ten times in a sentence.
You think Anne Widdecombe or Nigel Farage is accountable to anyone, they can just spout right wing, autocractic think tank bollocks and get cash.
Look at the platform of the latest Reform Party conference. They just talked bollocks that represents no one.
At least a voucher system will make a level playing field.

Not saying all lobbyjng is bad, but removing the power of the purse from lobbyists and putting them in the same queue as everyone else for a hearing and giving the fifty quid vouchers is democratic.
Last edited by Line6 HXFX on Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Line6 HXFX

inactionman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:13 pm

To some extent, this already happens in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Money

Opposition parties are given a certain amount of money by Parliament to support their activities, the amount given depending upon how many seats and votes they hold.

Not exactly super-donor levels, but still a degree of revenue dictated by how many people voted for them.
I want to remove all super donors, powerful interests and think tanks, and democratise democracy.
50 quid Voucher system will do that.

...yes I realise this will probably dissolve all of the various Unions power in the Labour Party too.
But collectivisation of these vouchers will only be on a local level, not a national level, Union members are scattered everywhere. It would be difficult for a union to tell their members in the various districts, boroughs and towns who to fund (admittadly not impossible) , but at the end of the day, real power will be in the peoples hands. Which is good.
Last edited by Line6 HXFX on Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
CM11

Over here we've no foreign donations, tiny cap on anonymous donations (€100) and small cap on donations from single person/entity (€6350).

Ironically it means SF can take huge donations via NI and use that outlet to campaign as the party of the people in the South while the traditionally 'rich' parties are largely powerless to counter.

We had a whole political storm a few months ago because a friend of one of our ministers put up some posters and the minister didn't declare the benefit in kind, amounting to about €1600l
tabascoboy

Again not a mass shooting but..."this is America!"
Two Texas cheerleaders shot after one gets into wrong car

Two high school cheerleaders were shot after one of them apparently approached the wrong vehicle in a car park near Austin, Texas. One of the athletes, Payton Washington, 18, remains in hospital in a critical condition, according to family. The other victim was treated at the scene.

Their cheer company called the shooting at 00:15 local time (05:15 GMT) on Tuesday "horrific".

Police charged Pedro Tello Rodriguez Jr, 25, with "deadly conduct". The shooting happened outside a supermarket in Elgin, about 25 miles from Austin.

Elgin police said: "Information suggests that an altercation occurred in the parking lot, and multiple shots were fired into a vehicle."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65330696
tabascoboy

FFS what next?
6-year-old girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into man’s North Carolina yard

A North Carolina 6-year-old and her parents were shot Tuesday night by an angry neighbor who fired at them after a basketball rolled into his yard, a report said.

Kinsley White was wounded along with her mother Ashley Hilderbrand and father William White when a gunman opened fire at around 8 p.m. in Gaston County after he became enraged about the bouncing ball, according to WSOC-TV.

White was critically injured attempting to protect his daughter.

Neighbors told the station a group of kids was playing basketball when the ball bounced into the alleged gunman’s yard.

Suspected shooter Robert Louis Singletary grew angry and ran down the street as he fired at a neighbor, they reportedly said.

Then he came back and began shooting at the family, including the young daughter who needed stitches on her face from bullet fragments, WSOC-TV reported.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/6-year-ol ... lina-yard/
weegie01

US friends of ours were over recently. They live just outside Chicago, and say their lives are now more constrained. They don't do things they used to, and when they do are on their guard.

It is the randomness that scares them. People are dying doing normal, everyday things. They can scarcely believe they have seriously discussed moving to Europe.
Last edited by weegie01 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chilli

tabascoboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:08 pm FFS what next?
6-year-old girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into man’s North Carolina yard

A North Carolina 6-year-old and her parents were shot Tuesday night by an angry neighbor who fired at them after a basketball rolled into his yard, a report said.

Kinsley White was wounded along with her mother Ashley Hilderbrand and father William White when a gunman opened fire at around 8 p.m. in Gaston County after he became enraged about the bouncing ball, according to WSOC-TV.

Neighbors told the station a group of kids was playing basketball when the ball bounced into the alleged gunman’s yard.

Suspected shooter Robert Louis Singletary grew angry and ran down the street as he fired at a neighbor, they reportedly said.

Then he came back and began shooting at the family, including the young daughter who needed stitches on her face from bullet fragments, WSOC-TV reported.

If that 6 year old was packing..................

America is properly fucked up.
Kiwias

Chilli wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:39 pm

That batshit governor of some redneck state (Noem of South Dakota) boasted that her soon-to-be two year old granddaughter has a shotgun and a rifle.
Chilli

Kiwias wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:39 pm
Chilli wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:39 pm

That batshit governor of some redneck state (Noem of South Dakota) boasted that her soon-to-be two year old granddaughter has a shotgun and a rifle.
Merica, Fuck Yeah!
sockwithaticket

Thankfully not an actual shooting, but yet another example of how broken the relationship between many Americans and their firearms is.

Such an astonishingly stupid thing to go to prison for.
Sandstorm

If my neighbours put up a hoop in the driveway, I’d start shooting too. “Bounce-bounce-bounce-bounce……”
Niegs

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:55 am Thankfully not an actual shooting, but yet another example of how broken the relationship between many Americans and their firearms is.

Such an astonishingly stupid thing to go to prison for.
Things haven't been the same for him since he lost the ability to mail-order Trump Steaks. :cry:
tabascoboy

5 dead in Texas 'execution-style' shooting, suspect armed with AR-15 is on the loose

Five people are dead after being shot in a Texas home by a suspect armed with an AR-15 style rifle in a horrific series of "execution style" shootings, police said.

A manhunt is currently underway for the suspect, identified by the San Jacinto County Sheriff's Office as 38-year-old Francisco Oropeza. The FBI's Houston Field Office said it is assisting in the ongoing search.

A judge has issued an arrest warrant for Oropeza and assigned a $5 million bond. He is believed to have fled the county and is considered armed and dangerous, authorities said.

[https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/5-dead-te ... d=98957271

No fucken shit...
Blackmac

Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 am

Should have been driving this

Have you see the lawyers comments in that article. Unbelievable bloody country
Kiwias

If your neighbour is in the habit of shooting an AR-15 in his backyard until very late at night and your kids can't get to sleep, DO NOT ASK HIM TO STOP!!

https://apnews.com/article/mass-shootin ... edthetitle
sockwithaticket

Also in Texas a guy got duped into paying $40 for his car and his date's car at a place that doesn't have valet service, so he walked out and shot the scammer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/te ... r-AA1awezT

Throwing your life and someone else's away over £40. Can't comprehend it.
Kiwias

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:58 am Also in Texas a guy got duped into paying $40 for his car and his date's car at a place that doesn't have valet service, so he walked out and shot the scammer.

The article does clarify the most important part of the story: did he get a chance to have his dinner or was he arrested before he and his girlfriend could eat?
Niegs

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:05 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:58 am Also in Texas a guy got duped into paying $40 for his car and his date's car at a place that doesn't have valet service, so he walked out and shot the scammer.

The article does clarify the most important part of the story: did he get a chance to have his dinner or was he arrested before he and his girlfriend could eat?
I recall reading that she reported him a day or two later, so yes? Maybe some post-date nookie, too? :|
Aguirre's date contacted police two days later after police had released photos of the couple, who had been identified by tips to Crime Stoppers.

"She wanted to do the right thing. She wanted to make sure that she came forward and told the police what she knew," Rick DeToto, the woman's attorney told KPRC.
Hugo

Saw a very interesting pair of statistics the other day -

1. The US supplies about 40% of the worlds arms,
https://www.thenation.com/article/world ... ns-market/

2. The US has about 40% of the worlds civilian owned firearms.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newswe ... 73%3famp=1

My takeaway - those numbers are too similar to be coincidental.
The extent to which the military industrial complex is tied into the gun culture cannot be overlooked.