Official United Rugby Championship thread

Where goats go to escape
LoveOfTheGame

assfly wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:32 am
Blake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:13 pm I’d be very surprised if he ever wears a Bok jersey again under Rassie.
Sad but true. There are certain types of players Rassie likes, and Fassi is not one of them. I think if he got his head down, improved his attitude and put in more consistent performances then he'd be in with a chance.
Defense has always been his Achilles heel.
Sards

assfly wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:42 am Far from a perfect performance from the $harks, but at least we're getting on the right side of the scoreboard.

Finally we're starting to see Vincent Tshituka find form, but still losing the ball in contact too often.
It's so strange to see a $harks 10 take the ball up to the line aggressively. Masuku is such a different player to Bosch. I'd like to see some more support runners if this is how he intends to play. Am is finally finding some form too.
The wait to see Koch start a match continues, and now Eben is injured too.
But our tight 5 is finally looking good. I love Ox as a player, but he's definitely not a tighthead!
And the best game I've seen from Fassi in years. Long may it continue.

Let's hope we can keep up the momentum into the illustrious Challenge Cup on the weekend.
The quality of the URC has really improved. That's what we are currently worth. We put away 2 strong sides in a row. The one side the Stormers really struggled against. We are heading in the right direction. Regards Eben. It was expected. He has played 9 games in total for the Sharks. He is here for rehab and the Springboks. Rahl is in great form and we can get on without Eben as we have done. Hopefully the mindset is now switched on on that winning curve. Be grateful we are involved in the championship cup. It would have been disastrous
Sards

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:27 am
Blake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:13 pm I’d be very surprised if he ever wears a Bok jersey again under Rassie.
Sad but true. There are certain types of players Rassie likes, and Fassi is not one of them. I think if he got his head down, improved his attitude and put in more consistent performances then he'd be in with a chance.
Who's defense has been better. Stormer supporters are talking about Willemse defense. Which is below par for him lately. Willie ?

Willie is a play maker supreme. Fassi is a beast on attack and in the air with his height and hands and can easily slot in at wing. Willemse is really only a 15. As shown again by his performance this weekend at 12. His other touted position.
Sandstorm

Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am Willemse is really only a 15. As shown again by his performance this weekend at 12. His other touted position.
You do know that Libbok passed to him at 12 just twice in 80 minutes? And he made 31 meters gained?

You should watch with both eyes and no weed.
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am
LoveOfTheGame wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:27 am

Who's defense has been better. Stormer supporters are talking about Willemse defense. Which is below par for him lately. Willie ?

Willie is a play maker supreme. Fassi is a beast on attack and in the air with his height and hands and can easily slot in at wing. Willemse is really only a 15. As shown again by his performance this weekend at 12. His other touted position.
Calm down to a blur Sards, all I'm saying is Fassi's defense has always been the weakest part of his game. That is not meant as an insult to the guy, it is just a point of fact.
Sards

Sandstorm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am
Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am Willemse is really only a 15. As shown again by his performance this weekend at 12. His other touted position.
You do know that Libbok passed to him at 12 just twice in 80 minutes? And he made 31 meters gained?

Of course you are right. Always are....even your missus agrees...I somehow missed how he helped the Stormers to destroy Ulster.

Sad part is that Dup is getting all the flak. I think Dans a great 12. In the mould of AE .....and he runs straight. Not 20m sideways and 5 metres forward
Blake

It's tough to say without being intimately involved in the Bok setup but I just get the feeling that there is something about Fassi that Rassie doesn't like. Might be that he doesn't have enough "fight" or gives up to quickly, or maybe he just didn't "get" how the Bok defense system worked, or maybe he's a bit lazy during training, or maybe he just has a toxic attitude that didn't gel well with the team culture...who knows. That's all pure speculation from my side though. I haven't heard anything, just a feeling I have.

But with Willie, and Willemse, and Cheslin, and Moodie, and Jessie, and Arendse, and Galant all in the Boks setup and all able to cover 15, I can't see Fassi getting a call-up anytime soon.
Blake

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:02 am
handyman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:31 am Not sure how the Stormers won that...
Bench. Hook show-boaters like Dyamani and Dwebe, stop Galant and Dan Doop kicking everything away.

Theunissen, Dixon, Kotze and Loader all came on and were superb.
He's been the find of the season for me. I knew next to nothing about him when he got brought in and I was quite upset that we'd brought in a Pom when we have so many talended young wingers in the Cape. But I'm happy to admit how wrong I was. Loader has been exceptional in every single match, and dare I say it, every single touch of the ball since he joined us.

Seriously impressed with him. He's been super solid and reliable.
Blake

Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am Who's defense has been better. Stormer supporters are talking about Willemse defense. Which is below par for him lately. Willie ?
For what it's worth; Willemse is on 83% tackle success rate, Le Roux is on 75% and Fassi is on 65% according to URC's official stats.
Sards

Blake wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:40 am
It's tough to say without being intimately involved in the Bok setup but I just get the feeling that there is something about Fassi that Rassie doesn't like. Might be that he doesn't have enough "fight" or gives up to quickly, or maybe he just didn't "get" how the Bok defense system worked, or maybe he's a bit lazy during training, or maybe he just has a toxic attitude that didn't gel well with the team culture...who knows. That's all pure speculation from my side though. I haven't heard anything, just a feeling I have.

But with Willie, and Willemse, and Cheslin, and Moodie, and Jessie, and Arendse, and Galant all in the Boks setup and all able to cover 15, I can't see Fassi getting a call-up anytime soon.
Love all the speculation about Fassi. You and Sandy vaginas are 2 peas in a pod
Sards

Blake wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:57 am
Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am Who's defense has been better. Stormer supporters are talking about Willemse defense. Which is below par for him lately. Willie ?
For what it's worth; Willemse is on 83% tackle success rate, Le Roux is on 75% and Fassi is on 65% according to URC's official stats.
Compared to games played ?

Metres made?
Blake

Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:22 pm
Blake wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:57 am
Compared to games played ?

Metres made?
Ummm...when a metric is stated as a percentage it already accounts for games played.

But since you are asking:
Willemse: 6 games (not all at fullback), and he has made 25 tackles (missed 5)
Fassi: 13 games, and he has made 23 tackles (missed 12)

Meters made Fassi is 1st in the URC, but we were talking about Fassi's issues in defense. Nobody has ever doubted his attacking abilities.
OomStruisbaai

Sards wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:47 am
Sandstorm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am

Of course you are right. Always are....even your missus agrees...I somehow missed how he helped the Stormers to destroy Ulster.

Sad part is that Dup is getting all the flak. I think Dans a great 12. In the mould of AE .....and he runs straight. Not 20m sideways and 5 metres forward
There are a world of difference between AE and Dan Doeps play in 12. AE is a crashball 12, Dan not at all. This is however not you complain, you hate Damian Willemse. You should go to Pioneer school for the blind in Worcester.
OomStruisbaai

And Willie played like kak against Leinster. Awful in all he did.
Sards

Same old same old. Society of the one eyed sausages.
Not interested.
OomStruisbaai

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:22 pm Image

Leinster: Lions (A), Stormers (A), Ospreys (H), Ulster (A), Connacht (H)
Bulls: Munster (H), Ospreys (H), Glasgow (H), Benetton (H), Sharks (A)
Glasgow: Sharks (H), Zebre (A), Bulls (A), Lions (A), Zebre (H)
Munster: Bulls (A), Lions (A), Connacht (H), Edinburgh (H), Ulster (A)
Stormers: Ospreys (H), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Connacht (A), Lions (H)
Edinburgh: Scarlets (H), Cardiff (A), Zebre (H), Munster (H), Benetton (A)
Ulster: Cardiff (H), Benetton (H), Scarlets (A), Leinster (H), Munster (A)
Lions: Leinster (H), Munster (H), Cardiff (H), Glasgow (H), Stormers (A)
Connacht: Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Munster (A), Stormers (H), Leinster (A)
Benetton: Dragons (H), Ulster (A), Sharks (A), Bulls (A), Edinburgh (H)
Ospreys: Stormers (A), Bulls (A), Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Cardiff (A)
Cardiff: Ulster (A), Edinburgh (H), Lions (A), Sharks (A), Ospreys (H)
Scarlets: Edinburgh (A), Sharks (H), Ulster (H), Zebre (A), Dragons (H)
Sharks:Glasgow (A), Scarlets (A), Benetton (H), Cardiff (H), Bulls (H)
Zebre: Connacht (A), Glasgow (H), Edinburgh (A), Scarlets (H), Glasgow (A)
Dragons: Benetton (A), Connacht (H), Stormers (H), Ospreys (A), Scarlets (A)
Rugby is back
Sards

OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:22 pm Image

Leinster: Lions (A), Stormers (A), Ospreys (H), Ulster (A), Connacht (H)
Bulls: Munster (H), Ospreys (H), Glasgow (H), Benetton (H), Sharks (A)
Glasgow: Sharks (H), Zebre (A), Bulls (A), Lions (A), Zebre (H)
Munster: Bulls (A), Lions (A), Connacht (H), Edinburgh (H), Ulster (A)
Stormers: Ospreys (H), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Connacht (A), Lions (H)
Edinburgh: Scarlets (H), Cardiff (A), Zebre (H), Munster (H), Benetton (A)
Ulster: Cardiff (H), Benetton (H), Scarlets (A), Leinster (H), Munster (A)
Lions: Leinster (H), Munster (H), Cardiff (H), Glasgow (H), Stormers (A)
Connacht: Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Munster (A), Stormers (H), Leinster (A)
Benetton: Dragons (H), Ulster (A), Sharks (A), Bulls (A), Edinburgh (H)
Ospreys: Stormers (A), Bulls (A), Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Cardiff (A)
Cardiff: Ulster (A), Edinburgh (H), Lions (A), Sharks (A), Ospreys (H)
Scarlets: Edinburgh (A), Sharks (H), Ulster (H), Zebre (A), Dragons (H)
Sharks:Glasgow (A), Scarlets (A), Benetton (H), Cardiff (H), Bulls (H)
Zebre: Connacht (A), Glasgow (H), Edinburgh (A), Scarlets (H), Glasgow (A)
Dragons: Benetton (A), Connacht (H), Stormers (H), Ospreys (A), Scarlets (A)
Rugby is back
For some who haven't been busy this past weekend. For others it just carries on
OomStruisbaai

All teams supports the Sharks this weekend. Go Sharks!
clydecloggie

OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 am All teams supports the Sharks this weekend. Go Sharks!
Nae chance.
GrahamWa

OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 am All teams supports the Sharks this weekend. Go Sharks!
Nah mate
Tichtheid

Nah from me too
sturginho

I see that Premier Sports has come back in place of Viaplay, is the free channel coming back too?
OomStruisbaai

GrahamWa wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 pm
Nah mate
Sharks B will get a hiding

Sharks – 15 Boeta Chamberlain, 14 Eduan Keyter, 13 Murray Koster, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Nick Hatton, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Tino Mavesere, 5 Gerbrandt Grobler, 4 Corne Rahl, 3 Hanro Jacobs, 2 Dan Jooste, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu.
Subs: 16 Fez Mbatha, 17 Khwezi Mona, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Emile van Heerden, 20.Vincent Tshituka, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Siya Masuku, 23 Ethan Hooker.
assfly

They had to put out that team. Their focus is (and should be) the Challenge Cup.

Having said that, there is some talent in that team. Some youngsters with a rare chance to put in a good performance. I'll be hoping Mavesere has another good game.

It's just a matter if they can click or not. Lots of untested combinations.

But I can't see them beating a very good Glasgow team on a cold Friday night.
fishfoodie

assfly wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 pm They had to put out that team. Their focus is (and should be) the Challenge Cup.

Having said that, there is some talent in that team. Some youngsters with a rare chance to put in a good performance. I'll be hoping Mavesere has another good game.

Yep, it's a back door into the Champions Cup, & valuable experience versus some good sides. If they get past Clermont, they can feel very pleased with themselves !
Tichtheid

fishfoodie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm
assfly wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 pm They had to put out that team. Their focus is (and should be) the Challenge Cup.

Yep, it's a back door into the Champions Cup, & valuable experience versus some good sides. If they get past Clermont, they can feel very pleased with themselves !

Clermont are still in with a shout of the play off in the Top 14, they will be sending a B team to Durban, the Bouclier de Brennus is the first second and third priority in France.

Speaking of which, I see the Top 14 has disappeared from UK screens since the change from viaplay back to Premier, very disappointing. Oh and half the URC matches this weekend are on the Premier Player, so not available to those of us who subscribe via Virgin or Sky.
OomStruisbaai

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

Clermont are still in with a shout of the play off in the Top 14, they will be sending a B team to Durban, the Bouclier de Brennus is the first second and third priority in France.

Speaking of which, I see the Top 14 has disappeared from UK screens since the change from viaplay back to Premier, very disappointing. Oh and half the URC matches this weekend are on the Premier Player, so not available to those of us who subscribe via Virgin or Sky.
Don't think SA teams can host semi finals.
Tichtheid

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:15 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

Don't think SA teams can host semi finals.

You may well be correct in that, it does ring a bell, although Sharks were the top ranked team after the pool stages and that is supposed to gain home advantage.
topofthemoon

Challenge Cup rules do say home venue advantage for the higher seeded side in the semi-finals - but that must be overridden by whatever agreement has been signed by the South African teams as Sharks v Clermont is at the Twickenham Stoop.
Tichtheid

topofthemoon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm Challenge Cup rules do say home venue advantage for the higher seeded side in the semi-finals - but that must be overridden by whatever agreement has been signed by the South African teams as Sharks v Clermont is at the Twickenham Stoop.
Yeah, I remember reading now that the Sharks are in Europe for three weeks, including the semi-final
OomStruisbaai

topofthemoon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm Challenge Cup rules do say home venue advantage for the higher seeded side in the semi-finals - but that must be overridden by whatever agreement has been signed by the South African teams as Sharks v Clermont is at the Twickenham Stoop.
Jake White
“We are not shareholders of the EPCR yet, and we are not shareholders of the URC; that still takes some time, but as non-shareholders, the semi-finals have got to be based in Europe, I think,” he explained.
bok_viking

The best signing the Bulls can do in the off season is a proper new defense coach. Their defense has been crap all season, they are saved by scoring a massive amount of points so all the leaked points are masked. But on days that they do not score a lot their bad defense is very visible. Gary Gold just do not seem to be up to it.
OomStruisbaai

bok_viking wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am The best signing the Bulls can do in the off season is a proper new defense coach. Their defense has been crap all season, they are saved by scoring a massive amount of points so all the leaked points are masked. But on days that they do not score a lot their bad defense is very visible. Gary Gold just do not seem to be up to it.
Agree, Defense systems is the differense nowadays.

DHL Stormers: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Suleiman Hartzenberg, 13 Wandisile Simelane, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Ben Loader, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Stefan Ungerer, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Nama Xaba, 5 Gary Porter, 4 Adre Smith, 3 Frans Malherbe (captain), 2 JJ Kotze, 1 Brok Harris.
Replacements: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Sazi Sandi, 19 Ruben van Heerden, 20 Willie Engelbrecht, 21 Marcel Theunissen, 22 Paul de Wet, 23 Damian Willemse.
OomStruisbaai

Glasgow Warriors v Sharks
(Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow – Kick-off: 19.35; 18.35 GMT; 20.35 SA time)
Glasgow Warriors: 15 Kyle Rowe, 14 Kyle Steyn (captain), 13 Stafford McDowall, 12 Sione Tuipulotu, 11 Facundo Cordero, 10 Tom Jordan, 9 George Horne, 8 Jack Dempsey, 7 Henco Venter, 6 Matt Fagerson, 5 Scott Cummings, 4 Max Wiliamson, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Johnny Matthews, 1 Nathan McBeth
Replacements: 16 Gregor Hiddleston, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Lucio Sordoni, 19 Sintu Manjezi, 20 Ally Miller, 21 Thomas Gordon, 22 Jamie Dobie, 23 Ross Thompson

Sharks: 15 Boeta Chamberlain, 14 Eduan Keyter, 13 Murray Koster, 12 Francois Venter (cptain), 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Nick Hatton, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Tino Mavesere, 5 Gerbrandt Grobler, 4 Corne Rahl, 3 Hanro Jacobs, 2 Dan Jooste, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu
Replacements: 16 Fez Mbatha, 17 Khwezi Mona, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Emile van Heerden, 20 Vincent Tshituka, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Siya Masuku, 23 Ethan Hooker

Referee: Federico Vedovellli (Italy)
Assistant referees: Sam Grove-White (Scotland) and Rob McDowell (Scotland)
TMO: Matteo Liperini (Italy)
OomStruisbaai

If the Sharks can cut out some silly primary school mistakes.
OomStruisbaai

Hard to be a Sharks supporter. Stop watching.
fishfoodie

New Coach has his work cut out for him in Ulster; the lack of basic skills is incredible, WTF did they do in training before ?

They squeaked a win tonight, but they shouldn't have been within a country mile of Cardiff
PornDog

Yep, a very jammy win. Think they only took the lead for the first time with the last kick of the game. Ulster are really poor at the moment.
OomStruisbaai

Tinus de Beer look pretty settled as a Welschman.
petej

fishfoodie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 pm New Coach has his work cut out for him in Ulster; the lack of basic skills is incredible, WTF did they do in training before ?

They squeaked a win tonight, but they shouldn't have been within a country mile of Cardiff
Hope the TMO had more angles than the broadcast did. As none of them were conclusive on the knock on. Think ulster quite capable of over running the ball and knocking it on. Pro sport athletes appeal for everything.