Quitting the bottle

Where goats go to escape
Ymx

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:34 am
Slick wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:33 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:11 am Just clicked over 12 months since the last drink.

Have had a few (maybe 8), 0% beers over that time but nothing else.

Breakfast time kick offs should stop any of the rwc related temptation. Haven't tried the cold swimming yet, and will probably gladly miss those this winter :smile:

Haven't read this thread for a while and not a bad idea to Skim through bits of it again. Reminding myself that blowing out at some big upcoming events is exactly the wrong thing to do.
Great stuff MM

Question, how's the head? I'm beginning to wonder if the fuzzyness is just me, or if it clears after that time!
I have a 5 year old and 7 month old, fuzziness is just me for now...

Although think it has got worse since dropping off the exercise
How’s your sweet tooth?

When I was drinking I never had desserts or sweets or the like. Probably getting enough sugar from the wine and beer.

But since stopping I’ve definitely developed a sweet tooth. Loving my chocolate. I thought I’d lose weight after stopping, but I don’t think I have 🤣🤣
Monkey Magic

Ymx wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:06 am
Slick wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:33 am

Great stuff MM

Question, how's the head? I'm beginning to wonder if the fuzzyness is just me, or if it clears after that time!

How’s your sweet tooth?

When I was drinking I never had desserts or sweets or the like. Probably getting enough sugar from the wine and beer.

But since stopping I’ve definitely developed a sweet tooth. Loving my chocolate. I thought I’d lose weight after stopping, but I don’t think I have 🤣🤣
Yep I've been smashing chocolate and cookies pretty much every night, coupled with stopping exercise I'm really sliding beautifully into a middle aged body :grin:
And 1 guest

Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:06 pm

How’s your sweet tooth?

Yep I've been smashing chocolate and cookies pretty much every night, coupled with stopping exercise I'm really sliding beautifully into a middle aged body :grin:
Same with me. Never ate anything sweet before but now loving chocolate bars. Must have been the amount of sugary stuff in the booze.
Slick

And 1 guest wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:45 pm

How’s your sweet tooth?

Same with me. Never ate anything sweet before but now loving chocolate bars. Must have been the amount of sugary stuff in the booze.
Most definitely a thing
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Monkey Magic

Slick wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:48 pm
And 1 guest wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:45 pm

Most definitely a thing
At least I'm not just eating my feelings :lolno:
Ymx

My favourite chocolate at the moment

Line6 HXFX

Back pain was so fucking bad this past week, I drunk nearly an entire bottle of Captain Morgan Rum and pineapple the other day.

Really worrying thing is it worked a treat.

Just need a new liver in a couple of years and this new fangled, holistic approach to pain relief is a keeper.
C69

Line6 HXFX wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:44 am Back pain was so fucking bad this past week, I drunk nearly an entire bottle of Captain Morgan Rum and pineapple the other day.

Really worrying thing is it worked a treat.

Just need a new liver in a couple of years and this new fangled, holistic approach to pain relief is a keeper.
Try a TENS machine. They are pretty cheap these days.
Slick

Can anyone recommend any good podcasts - I'm sure it's been mentioned before. Particularly any on getting over the mental hump of "never again"
And 1 guest

Slick wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:03 am Can anyone recommend any good podcasts - I'm sure it's been mentioned before. Particularly any on getting over the mental hump of "never again"
Don't have any podcasts on that specific issue, but my attitude has been not to think "never again", but rather "not today". To think of never for me puts a lot of pressure on, and sets you up to think of taking a drink as failure.

In terms of podcasts, Rain in my Heart on YouTube is a harrowing look at people who have been really ravaged by their addiction and subsequent physical consequences. It hit me hard after watching my late wife go through similar horrors.
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:03 am Can anyone recommend any good podcasts - I'm sure it's been mentioned before. Particularly any on getting over the mental hump of "never again"

Does it have to be "never again"?

I ask because I was quite relieved to find over the course of the last two years that I'm not actually an alcoholic and I can take or leave it as I please, I only had to break the habit of it being every night/most nights - I think there is a big, monumental, difference between habit and addiction, the first can definitely grow into the latter if we are not careful, but the first is quite easy to break, the latter is very difficult.

I've been on a bit of journey with this, from a very low point to being okay now.

DM if you like
Ymx

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:24 am

I ask because I was quite relieved to find over the course of the last two years that I'm not actually an alcoholic and I can take or leave it as I please, I only had to break the habit of it being every night/most nights - I think there is a big, monumental, difference between habit and addiction, the first can definitely grow into the latter if we are not careful, but the first is quite easy to break, the latter is very difficult.

I've been on a bit of journey with this, from a very low point to being okay now.

DM if you like
Everyone is a bit different. But I just worry that the advice you’re handing out here might be a bit dangerous for most others.

Quite a few of us have been down the path of trying to moderate it, only to find that it slowly slips to heavier drinking each time. And it takes a lot of energy and effort and time to get back to not drinking. The effects and urges and thoughts about drinking lasting a year or so.

So I really would not encourage someone who has got to a good point, to let it slip.

On getting over the forever thing. I genuinely think the best thing for this is time. Just know that it feels less like some kind of sacrifice, and more like a life choice to not use these type of drugs, as the weeks and months whizz by.

I myself am not aware of any podcasts, perhaps others might. But personally I had CBT and a counselor to talk to, to get me over the hump.

Part of it is what you tell people. So just say you feel a lot better for it, and don’t have any plans to start again. It’s so strange you have to explain to others why you are not taking a certain drug.
Kiwias

I found through a process of trial and error that however long I had been sober, having one or two drinks was something that inevitably led to being in the gutter again. I may well have seem as if I was able to take it or leave it but that was false, However I am aware that this does not apply to everyone who felt they had a serious problem with alcohol, only to those who are genuine alcoholics.

In the first few years, I always found it easier to deal with the inevitable bouts of desire for a drink by telling myself that my goal was solely and purely to stay clean for this day, then to repeat this process over and over, until, as Ymx described, it does become easier as you rack up the days, weeks, months, and years.
Tichtheid

Ymx wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:40 am

DM if you like
Everyone is a bit different. But I just worry that the advice you’re handing out here might be a bit dangerous for most others.

Quite a few of us have been down the path of trying to moderate it, only to find that it slowly slips to heavier drinking each time. And it takes a lot of energy and effort and time to get back to not drinking. The effects and urges and thoughts about drinking lasting a year or so.

So I really would not encourage someone who has got to a good point, to let it slip.

As you say every one is a bit different. I was relating my own experience.

I know how addiction works, the mental tricks it plays on you, I've experienced it with nicotine and I nursed someone through anorexia, which works in a similar way in that there is something that drives you to destructive behaviour. This can be so strong that it can lead someone to go against the most fundamental human instinct, more fundamental than anything else, the need to eat enough to stay alive. I don't take this subject lightly.

To repeat, there is a difference between habit and addiction, but perhaps, and this is just my opinion on it, if we create this great big hill of it, it becomes too big a deal if you know what I mean, and in fact it can lead you to do the very thing you are trying to stop.

I'd add that all the usual signs are legitimate and should be looked for - Do you feel you are drinking too much? Do you get annoyed when others say you are drinking too much? Do you plan your day/weekend around drinking? etc That's before we get into the physical signs of alcoholism; withdrawal, binge drinking or a very high tolerance.

I think those are signs of problem drinking and probably some help is needed in that case.

On getting over the forever thing. I genuinely think the best thing for this is time. Just know that it feels less like some kind of sacrifice, and more like a life choice to not use these type of drugs, as the weeks and months whizz by.

I myself am not aware of any podcasts, perhaps others might. But personally I had CBT and a counselor to talk to, to get me over the hump.

Part of it is what you tell people. So just say you feel a lot better for it, and don’t have any plans to start again. It’s so strange you have to explain to others why you are not taking a certain drug.

If someone does want to change their habits then one day at a time is the way to go about it, as you say the days grow into weeks, into months, into years.

A couple of years ago I tried a cigarette for the first time in about fifteen years, I don't really know why, maybe the addiction never really leaves you, but I found it disgusting and I thought wtf was I doing? You actually have to work at becoming addicted to that stuff because it's so alien - forcing poisonous smoke down your lungs.
Stopping alcohol is probably more difficult because it's more socially acceptable and it tastes good, well probably not to a non-drinker right enough, but my point is that people will almost universally offer encouragement if you stop smoking, stopping drinking doesn't have that kind of backing.
Ymx

I stopped smoking, and then much later I had a cigarette and absolutely hated it. I then had another one two weeks later. Then again in less …

I decided it better to give them away completely. I’d fooled myself that I didn’t even enjoy it and could take it or leave it.

I left cigarettes for good after that.

I don’t feel any benefits from the occasional cigarette.

I don’t feel any benefit from having an occasional drink.

I don’t know that I’d advise a smoker who had stopped to instead begin again and try moderating it.

Perhaps there is some differences between the two drugs, but I’m not seeing any point to take either.
Slick

DM if you like
This is the difficult bit. Deep down I think it probably does, but after a couple of weeks the heid starts telling me that eventually I'll be able to have a couple of drams at the weekend and that won't make a difference (that's the only thing I really miss). However, all the evidence points in the opposite direction. A night on some great wine after 6 months led to being back on it as normal within a week, a couple of pints at the rugby after 4 months, same thing. Just keeps repeating, but then it becomes, well after a year it must be different so lets try that.

As I've said before, it's not waking up in the gutter every morning, but it ends up quickly becoming a bottle of wine 5 nights a week and, especially now I'm a bit older, everything slowly goes to shit.

The point being, for me I think it does have to be nothing, moderation just doesn't work and in all honesty I 've known this for the last 5 years. Anyway, off it at the moment and loving it. But the thoughts have started to creep in and just seeing if anyone had come across anything decent - I listened to a podcast "Feel better, Live More with Dr Chatterjee" who had an episode (#277) that was pretty good.

Finally, thanks for the offer of a chat, hugely appreciated!
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:15 am

DM if you like
This is the difficult bit. Deep down I think it probably does, but after a couple of weeks the heid starts telling me that eventually I'll be able to have a couple of drams at the weekend and that won't make a difference (that's the only thing I really miss). However, all the evidence points in the opposite direction. A night on some great wine after 6 months led to being back on it as normal within a week, a couple of pints at the rugby after 4 months, same thing. Just keeps repeating, but then it becomes, well after a year it must be different so lets try that.

As I've said before, it's not waking up in the gutter every morning, but it ends up quickly becoming a bottle of wine 5 nights a week and, especially now I'm a bit older, everything slowly goes to shit.

The point being, for me I think it does have to be nothing, moderation just doesn't work and in all honesty I 've known this for the last 5 years. Anyway, off it at the moment and loving it. But the thoughts have started to creep in and just seeing if anyone had come across anything decent - I listened to a podcast "Feel better, Live More with Dr Chatterjee" who had an episode (#277) that was pretty good.

Finally, thanks for the offer of a chat, hugely appreciated!

No worries :smile:

I'd imagine that no one podcast or YouTube will be enough to stop one drinking for ever, perhaps a few favourites of each which you can go back to when you hear that voice inside persuading you that it's a good idea to have that pint or dram? Then add to them as you go on.
A bit like having a group of sponsors who can help you get over that bump.

I like that Craig Ferguson video that I posted ages ago, in it he talks about the fraudulent groups that will take your money and after 14 days dust their hands off and say, "There you are, you're good to go" as opposed to AA and others who say you face a lifetime of vigilance.

Good Luck. :smile:
Kiwias

Slick wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:15 am
There are some people who find that after a complete break from alcohol they are able to drink sensibly -- HKCJ from PR was one of them -- but I'm like you: however many breaks I took (ranging from one month to one year, and usually triggered by some very bad behaviour) and however carefully I tried to drink when I started again, it inevitably ended with me drinking worse than before the break.
Kiwias

I came across this article about Matthew Perry in the NYTimes discussing the concept of forgiveness and this bit really hit home.
And what’s the cure for all of this shame? Mercifully, Mr. Perry seemed to figure it out eventually: to forgive yourself. And when you find forgiveness inside your own heart, suddenly, it’s everywhere else as well.

At the very end of his autobiography, he can see clearly how hard the people around him have worked to save him and comfort him, in spite of great obstacles and difficulties and fears. He becomes courageous enough to feel empathy for the pain he’s caused instead of shielding himself from that reality. He recognizes that when we forgive ourselves for being flawed and human, we naturally spread that forgiveness to others. Forgive yourself every morning, every night, every few minutes, if that’s what it takes.

Some might argue that this flies in the face of the accountability of recovery, but in truth it complements it: You admit that you have caused pain and that you’ve behaved wretchedly, but you also recognize that you weren’t the first to hurt people and make gigantic mistakes and you won’t be the last. You tell yourself again and again: I am doing my best.
My recent trip home to NZ was very intense, in the main because I spent so much time with my son and grandkids, watching at first hand how deeply involved in their lives he is and how much they adore their granddad. The intensity is seated in my realisation of how much I threw away of my time as my sons' father because I was drinking so heavily.

I discussed this my sister-in-law when we were staying with her and she told me I no longer needed to beat myself up over that because at the time, I was doing my best, even if I was misguided in my approach, but the way the grandkids are with me is proof that I have put that shameful past well behind me.

My sense of self-forgiveness is strong now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/06/opin ... y_20231107
Harveys

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:55 am

DM if you like

I know how addiction works, the mental tricks it plays on you, I've experienced it with nicotine and I nursed someone through anorexia, which works in a similar way in that there is something that drives you to destructive behaviour. This can be so strong that it can lead someone to go against the most fundamental human instinct, more fundamental than anything else, the need to eat enough to stay alive. I don't take this subject lightly.

To repeat, there is a difference between habit and addiction, but perhaps, and this is just my opinion on it, if we create this great big hill of it, it becomes too big a deal if you know what I mean, and in fact it can lead you to do the very thing you are trying to stop.

I'd add that all the usual signs are legitimate and should be looked for - Do you feel you are drinking too much? Do you get annoyed when others say you are drinking too much? Do you plan your day/weekend around drinking? etc That's before we get into the physical signs of alcoholism; withdrawal, binge drinking or a very high tolerance.

I think those are signs of problem drinking and probably some help is needed in that case.

If someone does want to change their habits then one day at a time is the way to go about it, as you say the days grow into weeks, into months, into years.

A couple of years ago I tried a cigarette for the first time in about fifteen years, I don't really know why, maybe the addiction never really leaves you, but I found it disgusting and I thought wtf was I doing? You actually have to work at becoming addicted to that stuff because it's so alien - forcing poisonous smoke down your lungs.
Stopping alcohol is probably more difficult because it's more socially acceptable and it tastes good, well probably not to a non-drinker right enough, but my point is that people will almost universally offer encouragement if you stop smoking, stopping drinking doesn't have that kind of backing.
I don’t compare my alcoholism to a simple addiction to alcohol in the same way a smoker is addicted to nicotine in cigarettes.

Now, I’m not saying that you can’t form a simple addiction to alcohol, you absolutely can and a lot of people do. AA clearly differentiates a difference between a hard drinker, or a problem drinker if you like, and an alcoholic. There is no need to get into semantics about words or labels here. The point is not all drinkers are the same.

The former develops a habit over time that becomes problematic and the solution to that problem is to stop drinking.

The latter may look like the former but they have a fundamentally different experience with alcohol that you can’t see, you can only feel. The effect of alcohol on these people fundamentally changes their perception of reality and I don’t mean in the usual way alcohol effects people. When normal drinkers have a few drinks, they start feeling like their losing control, when I have a few drinks, I feel like I’m gaining control. My thinking becomes crisp and clear, I feel self-assured and centred. Though I don’t realise it alcohol is a solution to a sobriety problem I don’t know I have, let alone understand. Unfortunately, this effect and my propensity to overindulge sets me up for a lot of trouble with booze that a person who is just addicted to alcohol doesn’t experience.

What I didn’t understand for a long time is that stopping drinking has no real effect on my life other than to gradually make it so painful I can’t stand it because before I developed a drinking problem, I had a sobriety problem that drink was the perfect solution to. This is why people literally drink themselves to death.

It can be a tricky thing for people who don’t experience this to understand but get a few people in a room who have this experience but perhaps don’t understand it with someone who has experienced it, understands it, and can articulate it well and magic happens.

The solution to a drinking problem is to stop drinking. The solution to alcoholism is to address the alcoholics sobriety problem. These are two very different things that on the outside look the same.

While some drinkers can moderate their bad habits, People like me can’t. And the advice of people who can moderate and don’t understand people like me can be lethal.
Harveys

Kiwias wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:56 am I came across this article about Matthew Perry in the NYTimes discussing the concept of forgiveness and this bit really hit home.
And what’s the cure for all of this shame? Mercifully, Mr. Perry seemed to figure it out eventually: to forgive yourself. And when you find forgiveness inside your own heart, suddenly, it’s everywhere else as well.

At the very end of his autobiography, he can see clearly how hard the people around him have worked to save him and comfort him, in spite of great obstacles and difficulties and fears. He becomes courageous enough to feel empathy for the pain he’s caused instead of shielding himself from that reality. He recognizes that when we forgive ourselves for being flawed and human, we naturally spread that forgiveness to others. Forgive yourself every morning, every night, every few minutes, if that’s what it takes.

Some might argue that this flies in the face of the accountability of recovery, but in truth it complements it: You admit that you have caused pain and that you’ve behaved wretchedly, but you also recognize that you weren’t the first to hurt people and make gigantic mistakes and you won’t be the last. You tell yourself again and again: I am doing my best.
My recent trip home to NZ was very intense, in the main because I spent so much time with my son and grandkids, watching at first hand how deeply involved in their lives he is and how much they adore their granddad. The intensity is seated in my realisation of how much I threw away of my time as my sons' father because I was drinking so heavily.

I discussed this my sister-in-law when we were staying with her and she told me I no longer needed to beat myself up over that because at the time, I was doing my best, even if I was misguided in my approach, but the way the grandkids are with me is proof that I have put that shameful past well behind me.

My sense of self forgiveness, acceptance, or just finding peace with my past and within myself came over time.

Some of it was the result of making an effort, where possible, to put right the wrongs of my past. I certainly discovered that putting things right with other people seemed to help put things right within myself. Some of it came naturally over time as a result of my sobriety and the resulting changes that brought about in my life. It also came from a strong sense of understanding my condition, understanding I have an abnormal relationship with alcohol that most others don’t have and that I was sick, and although I did terrible things (and need to be responsible for that) I’m not a terrible person. For a long time, I really believed I was.

Now that I have an understanding of my problem, I absolutely have a responsibility to take the ongoing actions required to address it.

What I do know for myself, today in sobriety is I don’t get away with much. My conscious lets me know immediately if I’m being dishonest, or not being the father, husband, son, employer, employee etc I know I should be, and life can become uncomfortable again very quickly.
Tichtheid

Harveys wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:06 am

I don’t compare my alcoholism to a simple addiction to alcohol in the same way a smoker is addicted to nicotine in cigarettes.

Now, I’m not saying that you can’t form a simple addiction to alcohol, you absolutely can and a lot of people do. AA clearly differentiates a difference between a hard drinker, or a problem drinker if you like, and an alcoholic. There is no need to get into semantics about words or labels here. The point is not all drinkers are the same.

The former develops a habit over time that becomes problematic and the solution to that problem is to stop drinking.

The latter may look like the former but they have a fundamentally different experience with alcohol that you can’t see, you can only feel. The effect of alcohol on these people fundamentally changes their perception of reality and I don’t mean in the usual way alcohol effects people. When normal drinkers have a few drinks, they start feeling like their losing control, when I have a few drinks, I feel like I’m gaining control. My thinking becomes crisp and clear, I feel self-assured and centred. Though I don’t realise it alcohol is a solution to a sobriety problem I don’t know I have, let alone understand. Unfortunately, this effect and my propensity to overindulge sets me up for a lot of trouble with booze that a person who is just addicted to alcohol doesn’t experience.

What I didn’t understand for a long time is that stopping drinking has no real effect on my life other than to gradually make it so painful I can’t stand it because before I developed a drinking problem, I had a sobriety problem that drink was the perfect solution to. This is why people literally drink themselves to death.

It can be a tricky thing for people who don’t experience this to understand but get a few people in a room who have this experience but perhaps don’t understand it with someone who has experienced it, understands it, and can articulate it well and magic happens.

The solution to a drinking problem is to stop drinking. The solution to alcoholism is to address the alcoholics sobriety problem. These are two very different things that on the outside look the same.

While some drinkers can moderate their bad habits, People like me can’t. And the advice of people who can moderate and don’t understand people like me can be lethal.

Thanks for your post, it is a genuinely interesting read. I just hope the last sentence wasn't directed at me personally.

I've been at the rough end where drinking just to feel "normal" is part of the day, for me it was at six in the evening, for others I know it was first thing in the morning - I draw the line of difference there, I remember reading an account by AA Gill, a restaurant critic for the Times who recalled the tricks one does, the tying a scarf around one's wrist before one falls asleep so that the glass of whisky that has been placed on the bedside table can be raised to the mouth by means of grasping it with the hand with the scarf on it and pulling the scarf from the around the neck - this stops the DTs smashing your teeth out or breaking the glass. He spoke about running around Soho with huge spiders chasing him and other hallucinations. I knew someone who worked at a world wide famous insurance underwriters and it wasn't unusual to have guys downing a huge glass of whisky at heir desk first thing, just so they were functioning properly.

I was never at that level, though I've been at the level where feeling ill or a bit down or having a headache at four o'clock in the afternoon was remedied by a beer or a glass of wine at five, I know what it feels like to reach normality or "being in control" only after a drink. I feel better, my focus is better and I function better. I get it, really I do.

I'll come back to this, that was just the one point I wanted to address right now.
Kiwias

Harveys wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:13 pm
Kiwias wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:56 am I came across this article about Matthew Perry in the NYTimes discussing the concept of forgiveness and this bit really hit home.

My sense of self forgiveness, acceptance, or just finding peace with my past and within myself came over time.

Some of it was the result of making an effort, where possible, to put right the wrongs of my past. I certainly discovered that putting things right with other people seemed to help put things right within myself. Some of it came naturally over time as a result of my sobriety and the resulting changes that brought about in my life. It also came from a strong sense of understanding my condition, understanding I have an abnormal relationship with alcohol that most others don’t have and that I was sick, and although I did terrible things (and need to be responsible for that) I’m not a terrible person. For a long time, I really believed I was.

Now that I have an understanding of my problem, I absolutely have a responsibility to take the ongoing actions required to address it.

What I do know for myself, today in sobriety is I don’t get away with much. My conscious lets me know immediately if I’m being dishonest, or not being the father, husband, son, employer, employee etc I know I should be, and life can become uncomfortable again very quickly.
All your comments about finding peace within oneself ring true with my experience. It is not something you can hurry to achieve, but something that comes with time and shared experience with those hurt by your actions. Sadly, there are some people who you hurt who will never find a place in which they can accept your efforts to put things right. My second son is one of them -- refusing to have anything to do with me for 20 years now.

The bolded piece is the thought that Perry expressed in the final line of the article, something that would look good as my epitaph.
“I look out at the water, and I say very quietly, ‘Maybe I’m not so bad after all.’”
Harveys

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:48 pm
Harveys wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:06 am

Thanks for your post, it is a genuinely interesting read. I just hope the last sentence wasn't directed at me personally.

I've been at the rough end where drinking just to feel "normal" is part of the day, for me it was at six in the evening, for others I know it was first thing in the morning - I draw the line of difference there, I remember reading an account by AA Gill, a restaurant critic for the Times who recalled the tricks one does, the tying a scarf around one's wrist before one falls asleep so that the glass of whisky that has been placed on the bedside table can be raised to the mouth by means of grasping it with the hand with the scarf on it and pulling the scarf from the around the neck - this stops the DTs smashing your teeth out or breaking the glass. He spoke about running around Soho with huge spiders chasing him and other hallucinations. I knew someone who worked at a world wide famous insurance underwriters and it wasn't unusual to have guys downing a huge glass of whisky at heir desk first thing, just so they were functioning properly.

I was never at that level, though I've been at the level where feeling ill or a bit down or having a headache at four o'clock in the afternoon was remedied by a beer or a glass of wine at five, I know what it feels like to reach normality or "being in control" only after a drink. I feel better, my focus is better and I function better. I get it, really I do.

I'll come back to this, that was just the one point I wanted to address right now.
It was a general statement.
Kiwias

I came across this clip on Youtube that to me expresses almost perfectly why self-help groups can be so helpful in recovering from an addiction.

When anyone asks you how a self-help group actually aids recovering addicts, point them at this video. The change in the expression on Michael's face from fear, uncertainty, and lack of emotion, to being relaxed, calm, clear, even joyful when he realises he is not in this battle on his own speaks to the heart of every member of such a group.

A group, one that has people who have been through something similar to yourself, gives you this. The safety of knowing you're with people who understand what you've gone through. Are going through. And it gives you the courage to open up, share your problems. Because you're not the only one going through it.

Hurting. Struggling. We're all doing it together.

Ymx

Fair enough. Each to their own.

My only knowledge of it is
1. What I have seen characterised on TV. My name is xyz and I’m an alcoholic … thank you for sharing.
2. The 12 principles, which are medieval religious
3. The slight cult element of being told you are never recovered, and must come forever.
Harveys

Ymx wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:09 pm Fair enough. Each to their own.

My only knowledge of it is
1. What I have seen characterised on TV. My name is xyz and I’m an alcoholic … thank you for sharing.
2. The 12 principles, which are medieval religious
3. The slight cult element of being told you are never recovered, and must come forever.

That’s quite a biased opinion you have there, and fair enough, I do understand some people have had bad experiences at AA, there can be a lot of quite crazy people there from time to time. Add to that some groups can be a bit fanatical and it can be a tricky place for someone sceptical to navigate. I’m suspicious of most people who arnt a bit sus on it when they turn up.

First up, TV representation of AA is usually inaccurate.

Secondly, Can you explain why you feel the 12 principles are medieval religious? I understand a couple might be tricky for some people to swallow but most of them are very straight forward and reasonable.

I’m actually very interested in your response. I personally consider some medieval religions, “medieval religious” but that’s based on the fact that they are. I struggle to understand how a fellowship with no membership rules at all, and that gives you the freedom to believe or not believe however you chose is remotely the same.

Prinston and Harvard were recently involved in a meta study of AA and related therapies. Interestingly it was found that AA is the most effective treatment for a drinking problem. At times more than 20% effective than CBT and the like. It was very interesting to hear these independent drs talk about their surprise at the findings.
Ymx

On the first one. Yes I expected the tv versions are likely inaccurate. Can you help us visualise it? It’s not a seated circle? Or a it’s your turn to speak thing? How does it actually work?

Ymx

The 12 principles I found online, and certainly in one of them it was to surrender yourself to helplessness, and another where you need a religious higher power to save you.

I’ll try and find it. Although thought you might have them handy.

Ymx

Prinston and Harvard were recently involved in a meta study of AA and related therapies. Interestingly it was found that AA is the most effective treatment for a drinking problem. At times more than 20% effective than CBT and the like. It was very interesting to hear these independent drs talk about their surprise at the findings.
That’s funny, because I read somewhere the complete opposite.

Please do dig it out. As in fact I’d heard somewhere that they do not even know AA fail rate as people just vanish from it and are not counted.

Just FYI, I’m genuinely interested too !!
Ymx

I’m not sure if this was the one.
The 12 spiritual principles of recovery are as follows: acceptance, hope, faith, courage, honesty, patience, humility, willingness, brotherly love, integrity, self-discipline, and service.

Below are the spiritual principles of recovery, listed in order with the corresponding step:

Step 1: Acceptance
The 2nd Step: Hope
The 3rd Step: Faith
Step 4: Courage
Step 5: Honesty
The 6th Step: Patience
Step 7: Humility
Step 8: Willingness
The 9th Step: Brotherly Love
Step 10: Integrity
Step 11: Self-discipline
The 12th Step: Service

As people work through the 12 Steps, they are meant to apply each principle, taking the time to reflect on the meaning behind the practice and how it can better their life in recovery. Additionally, 12 step support groups often participate in mantras, or prayers, that align their goals and aspirations in sobriety and assist them in coping with the stressors of daily life.
Ymx

What Are the Principles in the 12 Steps of AA?

Step 1: Honesty

“We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol — that our lives had become unmanageable.”

The first step in AA is about admitting your powerlessness, which boils down to a level of honesty that many addicts haven’t reached until now. Many people under the spell of addiction or alcoholism think that “it’s not that bad” or that they can “stop at any time.”

It’s almost counterintuitive: The way to be released from the power addiction has over you is to admit how truly powerless you are. Carrying honestly forward in your sobriety doesn’t focus on being honest to others, but to yourself.

Step 2: Hope

Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.”

Step 2 is about finding faith in some higher power, and the accompanying principle of hope means that you should never give up that faith, even when you suffer a setback.

This virtue is easy to understand when it comes to practicing it on a daily basis. In recovery, not every moment will be positive, but if you keep that hope and faith alive, you’ll come back out on the other side.

Step 3: Surrender

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.”

In Steps 1 and 2, AA instructs members to strip themselves bare of ego and power. Step 3 involves putting yourself at the mercy of this higher power and moving forward for “Him” — or whatever your higher power may be — over the selfishness of addiction.

The way to carry this principle forward is to always remind yourself that you’re at the mercy of a higher power, and you don’t come first.

“Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.”

Step 4, which involves documenting every mistake you’ve ever made, is clearly tied to courage. Some of your past will be painful, and you’ll likely have to face some of your biggest regrets.

Living with courage means that you can start fresh without forgetting your past completely.

Step 5: Integrity

“Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.”

Step 5 is about taking the moral inventory made in step 4 and admitting first to God, next to yourself, and last to another person.

You can practice integrity in your recovery by talking through everything that you feel guilty about and your mistakes. Basically, having integrity is to live honestly.

Step 6: Willingness

“Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.”

In step 6, you have to prepare for your sins to be taken away by admitting to yourself that you’re fully ready to move past them.

Willingness as a virtue means you have to be ready to be absolved so that you can move forward without looking back. You should have willingness in everything you do.

“Humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.”

In step 4, you made a catalog of your past, and in step 6, you admitted them and released yourself from the guilt and shame. Step 7 is being willing to be released from your past. In step 8, you ask God, or another higher power, for forgiveness.

Humility is one of the simplest principles to understand because it’s straightforward. When you’re humble, you’re cognizant of the fact that you’re not a major part of the bigger picture. Humility in daily practice means never seeing yourself as more important than you are.

Step 8: Love

“Made a list of all the persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to all of them.”

Love is empathy and compassion, and Step 8 asks you to make a list of everyone you’ve wronged in your journey to where you are now. That’s not all, though. You also have to be willing to make amends, which shows that you truly care for the people on your list.

Practicing your sobriety with the principle of love means that you’re not just existing for yourself but in service to the people you care about.

Step 9: Responsibility

“Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.”

By Step 9, you’ve forgiven yourself for your past. Now you need to make amends to others so that you can start fresh with them as well.

The principle of responsibility is reflected directly in this step, and practicing in life is clear: If you hope to remain close with those around you, you must be honest and open about your mistakes that impacted them.

Step 10: Discipline

“Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.”

Step 10 relates to its own principle very clearly. It’s one thing to take personal inventory and admit our wrongs one time. It takes discipline to continue to do this over an entire lifetime.

Step 11: Awareness

“Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.”

Step 11 is about moving forward without losing track of a higher power. The continued awareness this demands makes it easy to pair the step with its accompanying principle.

Living with awareness means always paying attention to the higher power that guides you.

Step 12: Service

Step 12 and the principles of AA“Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”

The final Step of AA is to pay it forward. You’ve worked your way through the entire process of growing and setting yourself up for success in sobriety, and now you have the opportunity to guide less experienced members through their own journey. Living with the principle of service means it’s your responsibility to help others as you were helped when you first started to work the 12 steps.
Harveys

Kiwias wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:01 pm I came across this clip on Youtube that to me expresses almost perfectly why self-help groups can be so helpful in recovering from an addiction.

When anyone asks you how a self-help group actually aids recovering addicts, point them at this video. The change in the expression on Michael's face from fear, uncertainty, and lack of emotion, to being relaxed, calm, clear, even joyful when he realises he is not in this battle on his own speaks to the heart of every member of such a group.

A group, one that has people who have been through something similar to yourself, gives you this. The safety of knowing you're with people who understand what you've gone through. Are going through. And it gives you the courage to open up, share your problems. Because you're not the only one going through it.

Hurting. Struggling. We're all doing it together.

I like that song.

Early on I had an very strong identification experience, that I wasn’t looking for. It changed everything for me.

Not many people in AA were getting my attention and I was struggling to see how any of this nonsense was going to help.
“This might be ok for all you people” - “but you don’t understand, I’m different”.

One night I heard this bloke talk about his drinking in a way that was different to what was talked about in the other meetings I’d been to. He emphasized and reemphasized certain points about his drinking and clearly illustrated the effect alcohol had on him. He talked about his thinking toward drinking, his inability to control it once he started, the way he felt sober, and the way the drink changed him – even just having it in his hand about to drink it, he was already getting well. And how all of that got progressively worse over time.

That man perfectly explained my experience with drink, he gave me words to explain things that I couldn’t explain because I didn’t have the awareness or understanding. I didn’t really understand at the time but looking back its clear, I had an invisible wall of difference between me and the world, I took it everywhere I went. It was a defence mechanism to stop you getting too close to me, least you find out what’s really going on behind the facade I present to the world. The problem though was anyone who tried to help me, and there were many people who tried over the years, could never get past it. It prevented me from accepting anyone’s help. When I heard that guy talk that wall of difference came down and that’s why AA was able to help me when everything else couldnt.
With no effort on my behalf at all, I changed from someone unwilling and closed minded about AA to being open minded and willing, at least enough, to start moving in a different direction, and my life completly changed.
Harveys

Ymx wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:00 pm
That’s funny, because I read somewhere the complete opposite.

Please do dig it out. As in fact I’d heard somewhere that they do not even know AA fail rate as people just vanish from it and are not counted.

Just FYI, I’m genuinely interested too !!
Dig out your link Id like to see it. Not that I’m unaware there is plenty of anti AA material out there though the legitimacy is often
laughable.
The largest, most rigorous independent study on Alcoholics Anonymous to date shows that AA can help people get sober, stay sober, drink less, and suffer fewer negative consequences of drinking, all while keeping health care costs down. Watch scientists John Kelly (Harvard/MGH) and Keith Humphreys (Stanford/VA) discuss their findings (published 3/11/20 by the Cochrane Collaborative), with commentary from psychologist Gabrielle Jones.

Google will help you find anything more related to this you might need.
Harveys

I will come back to your other posts later, unfortunately I do need to get some work done today.
Harveys

Ymx wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:55 pm On the first one. Yes I expected the tv versions are likely inaccurate. Can you help us visualise it? It’s not a seated circle? Or a it’s your turn to speak thing? How does it actually work?

Its certinly not like this.

Its almost impossible to explain what its like because it can be so different from group to group. AA isn’t a centralised organisation; each group is autonomous and structures itself according to collective conscious of the members of that group. Obviously, the steps are the same but the application and style of meeting can vary greatly.

Meetings I attend generally are structured around a speaker talking about their drinking but more specifically their experience with the recovery program and their sobriety. Then people will share their experience relative to the topic. I don’t attend meetings that veer into group therapy sessions. Though parts of AA have become that, largely through the rehab boom of the 80s, it might look like an AA meeting but its not really AA in my opinion.
Harveys

Ymx wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:12 pm I’m not sure if this was the one.
The 12 spiritual principles of recovery are as follows: acceptance, hope, faith, courage, honesty, patience, humility, willingness, brotherly love, integrity, self-discipline, and service.

Below are the spiritual principles of recovery, listed in order with the corresponding step:

Step 1: Acceptance
The 2nd Step: Hope
The 3rd Step: Faith
Step 5: Honesty
The 6th Step: Patience
Step 8: Willingness
The 9th Step: Brotherly Love
Step 10: Integrity
Step 11: Self-discipline
The 12th Step: Service

As people work through the 12 Steps, they are meant to apply each principle, taking the time to reflect on the meaning behind the practice and how it can better their life in recovery. Additionally, 12 step support groups often participate in mantras, or prayers, that align their goals and aspirations in sobriety and assist them in coping with the stressors of daily life.
Im curious where you go to get your info? While some of the words or principles are AAish that has an odd sound to it overall. Its certainly not from AA literature.
Ymx

Harveys

Fair enough. :thumbup:

I’m not here to change anyone’s mind or convince anyone of anything about AA.
It doesn’t have a monopoly or claim to be the only solution. It is what it is and it will always be there for people who find other solutions don’t work.
Ymx

On the success rate of AA, again it was Google.

Can’t recall the specific link, but there seems to be many.

This is google straight off the bat.