Quitting the bottle

Where goats go to escape
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:10 am I've committed to a year off it, no ifs, no buts.

Whenever I've stopped in the past there has always been a possible "out" - maybe i'll drink then, lets see how we go - which leads to the inevitable.

Feeling very comfortable about it and been through the possible pinch points and dismissed them.

The hope of course is that after a year it just becomes my life and I don't consider going back to it. I've heard so many stories from folk of this happening.

Good Luck, Slick :thumbup:
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:50 pm
Slick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:10 am I've committed to a year off it, no ifs, no buts.

Whenever I've stopped in the past there has always been a possible "out" - maybe i'll drink then, lets see how we go - which leads to the inevitable.

Feeling very comfortable about it and been through the possible pinch points and dismissed them.

The hope of course is that after a year it just becomes my life and I don't consider going back to it. I've heard so many stories from folk of this happening.

Good Luck, Slick :thumbup:
Thanks mate. Still available for rugby "beers" when the time comes!
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Ymx

Get yourself one of these plunge pools. Around £100.

I’ve done it every single day since Christmas. For your intra-week hit.

I think I’ve bored everyone with my thread attempt on it.
Kiwias

Slick

Good move, my friend. It sounds as if you are not going to make the mistake I made when I stopped for one year ages and ages ago, of effectively starting a countdown from the kick-off until I could drink again.
Monkey Magic

Good luck Slick,

Seeing kiwias days count earlier made me look up mine, turns out I've gone past 500 days.

I think in the last 300 odd I would have thought I got close to actually having a drink only twice, but the realization of how much better I felt the next day - no hangover for a whole day at least, able to get up when my kids got me up, no hits to the bank account, regrets over dumb behaviour- were big affirmations to keep going sans booze.
Kiwias

Monkey Magic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:34 am Good luck Slick,

Seeing kiwias days count earlier made me look up mine, turns out I've gone past 500 days.

I think in the last 300 odd I would have thought I got close to actually having a drink only twice, but the realization of how much better I felt the next day - no hangover for a whole day at least, able to get up when my kids got me up, no hits to the bank account, regrets over dumb behaviour- were big affirmations to keep going sans booze.
MM

Well done, mate. As you say, the benefits do become clearer and clearer and make it easier to stay sober.
Ymx

Congrats MM !!
Slick

Kiwias wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:04 pm

Slick

Good move, my friend. It sounds as if you are not going to make the mistake I made when I stopped for one year ages and ages ago, of effectively starting a countdown from the kick-off until I could drink again.
Thanks, certainly feels like a very different mindset.
Slick

Well done mate.

I think that's a big motivation for me. I know the massive benefits of going 4/5 months and actually making that decision to have the drink, even if planned, was a massive wrench. However, I have heard so many people talk of the the much more heightened benefits after 9 months, a year, etc, that I'm determined not to miss out!
Peripheral

I posted a bit on the other place under a different name but thought I'd throw this in for the day that's in it.

Today I am 10 years sober.

The first few months were easily the worst in terms of physical & mental strain though I found that the original version of this thread greatly helped. Knowing that there were other people out there going through something similar and willing each other on was, for me, a great reminder of why I was quitting in the first place.
In terms of negatives, yes I still miss it occasionally, but very very occasionally. What I do miss is more to do with the social side. I am on the spectrum and have always felt outside of any social group that I'd be with (work, sport, etc.). Drinking removed those barriers somewhat & gave me a (probably false) sense of camaraderie. Looking back I believe that a good portion of the reason that I drank was chasing that feeling of being "not different" for want of a better way of putting it and learning to adjust to life without that has been a bigger issue than anything else.
On the positive side I am fitter than at any stage in my life since I started drinking at 16. I have a great relationship with my wife & kids and am still able to enjoy attending live sport without being half hosed for the entire thing. I've moved from being the one who stopped drinking to being one of many who have stopped as they got older. I still go out and have learned how to choose whether or not to fit in. I've saved a fortune by not spending increasingly daft sums of money on drink, taxis, clubs, food & hangovers. All in all it's been a hugely positive experience for me and has brought about a level of self-awareness that I feel has greatly helped in terms of both my professional & personal life.

I know that this may sound like I drank all the Kool Aid - but I remember those first few months of stress having committed to sobriety and wanted to say that for those who are only beginning, or only thinking of beginning the journey, that it's well worth it.
Kiwias

Peripheral

Congratulations on your 10 years. That is a genuine achievement of which you should be very proud.

Thanks for an excellent first-up post in our thread. You have addressed a lot of the issues we all go/went through on our journey and have highlighted the very real benefits we achieve through our sobriety: health, family relationships, money, work, etc.
Peripheral

Kiwias wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:17 am Peripheral

Congratulations on your 10 years. That is a genuine achievement of which you should be very proud.

Thanks for an excellent first-up post in our thread. You have addressed a lot of the issues we all go/went through on our journey and have highlighted the very real benefits we achieve through our sobriety: health, family relationships, money, work, etc.
Thanks Kiwias,
I know that a lot of people had said similar over the years, but for anyone reading this and thinking of quitting who wants to get some help or thoughts, the original thread in the other place is really really worth it. An absolute treasure of people being honest, offering help and explaining how something that seems impossible can be made achievable.
Not that this one isn't awesome as well - just there's a lot more years on the other one.
Slick

Peripheral wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:35 am I posted a bit on the other place under a different name but thought I'd throw this in for the day that's in it.

The first few months were easily the worst in terms of physical & mental strain though I found that the original version of this thread greatly helped. Knowing that there were other people out there going through something similar and willing each other on was, for me, a great reminder of why I was quitting in the first place.
In terms of negatives, yes I still miss it occasionally, but very very occasionally. What I do miss is more to do with the social side. I am on the spectrum and have always felt outside of any social group that I'd be with (work, sport, etc.). Drinking removed those barriers somewhat & gave me a (probably false) sense of camaraderie. Looking back I believe that a good portion of the reason that I drank was chasing that feeling of being "not different" for want of a better way of putting it and learning to adjust to life without that has been a bigger issue than anything else.
On the positive side I am fitter than at any stage in my life since I started drinking at 16. I have a great relationship with my wife & kids and am still able to enjoy attending live sport without being half hosed for the entire thing. I've moved from being the one who stopped drinking to being one of many who have stopped as they got older. I still go out and have learned how to choose whether or not to fit in. I've saved a fortune by not spending increasingly daft sums of money on drink, taxis, clubs, food & hangovers. All in all it's been a hugely positive experience for me and has brought about a level of self-awareness that I feel has greatly helped in terms of both my professional & personal life.

I know that this may sound like I drank all the Kool Aid - but I remember those first few months of stress having committed to sobriety and wanted to say that for those who are only beginning, or only thinking of beginning the journey, that it's well worth it.
Thanks Peripheral, that is genuinely very helpful and much appreciated.
Peripheral

Slick wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:51 pm
Peripheral wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:35 am I posted a bit on the other place under a different name but thought I'd throw this in for the day that's in it.

Thanks Peripheral, that is genuinely very helpful and much appreciated.
Best of luck Slick & genuinely hope it goes well for you.
For my first year I used to keep a running total of approx. how much money I'd saved by not drinking. When it got to $1,000 I bought myself something just for myself that I'd never have considered before, then again at $5,000 and so on. I know it's a bit childish, but it helped me to visualise the change and means now that they represent a real sense of accomplishment for the different stages of this journey.
Kiwias

Peripheral wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:37 pm
Kiwias wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:17 am Peripheral

Thanks Kiwias,
I know that a lot of people had said similar over the years, but for anyone reading this and thinking of quitting who wants to get some help or thoughts, the original thread in the other place is really really worth it. An absolute treasure of people being honest, offering help and explaining how something that seems impossible can be made achievable.
Not that this one isn't awesome as well - just there's a lot more years on the other one.
Yes, I find that the honesty of all participants in that and this thread is the key aspect. It is encouraging and humbling.
Ymx

Just a quick check in.

Seeing some old friends to go to a pub later. Soon in fact.

Our relationship with them used to be everyone getting trashed together and laughing. This was pre kids, mind you. But we lost touch for ages.

They already know I don’t drink and have seen them since. The banter and everything was still there. I think the only actual difference will be that I get taxi duty.

Plus it is a Sunday in any case …

How’s everyone else’s journey been going for the last few months.
Kiwias

Ymx wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:13 pm Just a quick check in.

Our relationship with them used to be everyone getting trashed together and laughing. This was pre kids, mind you. But we lost touch for ages.

They already know I don’t drink and have seen them since. The banter and everything was still there. I think the only actual difference will be that I get taxi duty.

Great to hear, mate. The bolded part is the key -- highlighting that a good social life is totally feasible even when sober. That itself is encouraging for anyone on the cusp of giving booze up.
Ymx

Have to day, it really was a great evening !!

Our daughter joined as well, and added to the comedy of the event.

Food was amazing too. Pricy but so good! Sunday roast.
Slick

First ever dry 6N. Have to say it was fine, in fact it was really good. Only one time I got a bit pissed off was after the England game and being in town with a lot going on and having to excuse myself and go home. However, HKCJ made that very easy for me to do, like the good lad he is.
Ymx

Slick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:22 pm

First ever dry 6N. Have to say it was fine, in fact it was really good. Only one time I got a bit pissed off was after the England game and being in town with a lot going on and having to excuse myself and go home. However, HKCJ made that very easy for me to do, like the good lad he is.
Well done mate 👍

I will have the odd Guinness zero when the rugby is on. But stay away from any 0.5% stuff.

But after a while with people carrying on, there definitely becomes a time to press the bail out button.
Kiwias

Good to hear that and good to hear that HKCJ is still in good form. I must admit that I will be with my team for the first part of the evening but then head home as they move on to the next bar, then the next one.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:00 pm

Well done mate 👍

I will have the odd Guinness zero when the rugby is on. But stay away from any 0.5% stuff.

But after a while with people carrying on, there definitely becomes a time to press the bail out button.
Thanks mate, I'm quite into my NA beers, up to 0.5%. The issue is that most bars just have the generic shite and I won't pay £6 for a bottle of Heineken or whatever. My local has an NA tap which it rotates and is great for sitting down with mates and having a pint.

It's quite amazing how quickly alcohol does affect people and change the dynamic, but I'm pretty comfortable with pressing the bail button when it starts to grate. And that smug feeling the next morning is quite intoxicating as well :grin:
Slick

Kiwias wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

Good to hear that and good to hear that HKCJ is still in good form. I must admit that I will be with my team for the first part of the evening but then head home as they move on to the next bar, then the next one.
Yup, he's still on good form and speaks very fondly of you.
Kiwias

Slick wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:33 amYup, he's still on good form and speaks very fondly of you.
He's a good egg.
Slick

100 days aff it today.

Done this before and was quite exhilarated by the "100 days", but just another day this time really, hopefully a mental change.

Still bloody knackered all the time though.
Kiwias

Slick wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:58 am 100 days aff it today.

Done this before and was quite exhilarated by the "100 days", but just another day this time really, hopefully a mental change.

Still bloody knackered all the time though.
slick

Good onya, mate. I definitely found my mindset change over time from the very early days when just staying sober took so much fucking energy that at times my wife complained that I was just as grumpy and short-tempered sober as I had been when I was drinking.

Then it started to change as the intensity of the desire to have a drink started to decline and the awareness of the benefits started to become stronger

Hang in there, mate.