Things that don't deserve their own thread

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Uncle fester wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:25 pm
Biffer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:13 am
Uncle fester wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm
They are carnivorous animals that eat a plant
ummmm.....
They have to eat loads of bamboo because their digestive system is so inefficient at extracting nutrients from it.
It’s still not a carnivore.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
SaintK

BT Tower gooooooooooooooooooooooone..........to be an hotel!!!!
The iconic BT Tower in London is set to become a hotel, if its new owner gets its way.
BT Group revealed on Wednesday that it had agreed to sell the 177 metre-tall (581-ft) tower in the West End to MCR Hotels for £275m.
The grade II listed communications tower, the telecoms firm explained, had become increasingly obsolete given the shift to digital services.
https://news.sky.com/story/bt-tower- ... 13076819
TB63

Sandstorm

That is cool
TB63

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pmThat is cool

I did try variations on that sentence, and, yes, they all sounded odd... Weird..
Raggs

Some variations are acceptable to my ears, but not as comfortable. Most are just wrong though.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Gumboot

How do you cope with the reality that someone you thought you were just communicating with in good faith yesterday, just like everyone else, and they assure you they're all good, just suddenly goes and tops himself.

Fuck
Uncle fester

Sorry for your loss mate
Tichtheid

I'm very sorry to hear that, Gumboot.

I came here to post a silly thing, but I'm not sure now.

Ach, I'll do it anyway, no disrespect intended.

Slick

SaintK wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:33 am BT Tower gooooooooooooooooooooooone..........to be an hotel!!!!
The iconic BT Tower in London is set to become a hotel, if its new owner gets its way.
BT Group revealed on Wednesday that it had agreed to sell the 177 metre-tall (581-ft) tower in the West End to MCR Hotels for £275m.
The grade II listed communications tower, the telecoms firm explained, had become increasingly obsolete given the shift to digital services.
https://news.sky.com/story/bt-tower- ... 13076819
I think it increasingly looks a bit shit to be honest, probably just needs to come down.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

TB63 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm

I did try variations on that sentence, and, yes, they all sounded odd... Weird..
Little and old swap quite easily I'd say
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:51 am How do you cope with the reality that someone you thought you were just communicating with in good faith yesterday, just like everyone else, and they assure you they're all good, just suddenly goes and tops himself.

Fuck
Shitty news, mate.
TB63

Biffer

Slick wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:03 pm
TB63 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm

Little and old swap quite easily I'd say
Old little lady vs little old lady. One of them sounds right, the other doesn't - except if you stick a comma in old, little lady but then it changes emphasis of the description i.e. she's a little lady who is old, rather than a lady who is old and little. The little almost become part of the noun.
TB63

mat the expat

^ Proof that education is sometimes subliminal
tabascoboy

"Shower Room within Bedroom One" - for the couple that really likes to share...everything I guess. Guess you have to set a healthy budget for air-freshener

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY
ASMO

tabascoboy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:58 pm "Shower Room within Bedroom One" - for the couple that really likes to share...everything I guess. Guess you have to set a healthy budget for air-freshener

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY
That's Whitbags honeymoon suite.
Guy Smiley

That whole frosted glass cubicle in the corner of the bedroom thing is becoming more and more common in NZ hotels apparently... it's a cheaper way to refurb and maximise room numbers.
Blackmac

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:33 pm That whole frosted glass cubicle in the corner of the bedroom thing is becoming more and more common in NZ hotels apparently... it's a cheaper way to refurb and maximise room numbers.
But a pain when one of the occupants has to go for a piss in the middle of the night and lights up the whole room.
Raggs

I saw the shower at first, and thought, yeah, that's not so bad, who cares... then I noticed the toilet at the end of the bed! Not worried about turning the lights on, but taking a shit in the middle of your bedroom doesn't seem that great...
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
tabascoboy

Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:54 am I saw the shower at first, and thought, yeah, that's not so bad, who cares... then I noticed the toilet at the end of the bed! Not worried about turning the lights on, but taking a shit in the middle of your bedroom doesn't seem that great...
Exactly, the room is just too small to be partitioned, but someone thought "Well fuck it, let's put a khazi here anyway"
Raggs

tabascoboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:24 pm
Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:54 am I saw the shower at first, and thought, yeah, that's not so bad, who cares... then I noticed the toilet at the end of the bed! Not worried about turning the lights on, but taking a shit in the middle of your bedroom doesn't seem that great...
Exactly, the room is just too small to be partitioned, but someone thought "Well fuck it, let's put a khazi here anyway"
I've been in much tinier hotel rooms with actual partitions for the toilet, they could easily have done it!
tabascoboy

Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:27 pm
I've been in much tinier hotel rooms with actual partitions for the toilet, they could easily have done it!
Well you probably could, if you're OK with very little space to get around the bed and with jamming your knees up against the partition while shitting. I mean it would be better though than the bog being in the open room like that! Just have a single bed in there and it's good
Raggs

tabascoboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:38 pm
Well you probably could, if you're OK with very little space to get around the bed and with jamming your knees up against the partition while shitting. I mean it would be better though than the bog being in the open room like that! Just have a single bed in there and it's good
That corner with the rabbit and drawers etc could surely have been partitioned off, and that stuff moved to where the loo is etc.
tabascoboy

Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:40 pm
tabascoboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:38 pm

That corner with the rabbit and drawers etc could surely have been partitioned off, and that stuff moved to where the loo is etc.
The house is a weird design, on the lower floor you have to go into bedroom 2 to get to the main bathroom - else go down to the basement or up into bedroom 1 to use the loo there
inactionman

The company who demolished the smouldering ruins of the Crooked House pub have been ordered to rebuild it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rebuild-it
Gumboot

Sandstorm

Gumboot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:34 am 2/28

Facing up to history...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... nniversary
Good luck getting an apology.
Hal Jordan

The "Where is Kate Middleton" Xhitter rabbit hole is quite entertaining.
Uncle fester

Tldr where is she?
TB63

Biffer

TB63 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:56 pm
The colour he goes is fantastic
Margin__Walker

A personal fav of mine.

Perfect in every way. Brief, great setup and sublime payoff
Tichtheid

inactionman

My niece and nephew are both in Scottish national swimming squads, and the amount of training is indeed mental.

This covers England but I'm sure it's common across the board:
Swim England has apologised after a landmark report criticised the “toxic” culture in some clubs, with bullying going unchecked and parents fearful of complaining to the governing body due a perceived risk of retaliation.

The independent report, which was based on 3,500 responses from competitors, parents and coaches, also warns of the “excessive demands and pressure” of a “performance-first” system that expects top young athletes to keep training even when exhausted, stressed, or during busy exam periods.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... s-swimming

I would say that the dedication and discipline required in swimming has transferred over, my niece has got straight A grades despite not doing so well in mock exams.

I think a major shortfall is in recreational and adult swimming, where adult lessons are few and far between. I'm getting more into swimming but have close-to-zero technique and there's no-one (and I mean no-one) providing any easily accessible lessons.
Tichtheid

inactionman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:31 pm My niece and nephew are both in Scottish national swimming squads, and the amount of training is indeed mental.

Swim England has apologised after a landmark report criticised the “toxic” culture in some clubs, with bullying going unchecked and parents fearful of complaining to the governing body due a perceived risk of retaliation.

The independent report, which was based on 3,500 responses from competitors, parents and coaches, also warns of the “excessive demands and pressure” of a “performance-first” system that expects top young athletes to keep training even when exhausted, stressed, or during busy exam periods.

I would say that the dedication and discipline required in swimming has transferred over, my niece has got straight A grades despite not doing so well in mock exams.

I think a major shortfall is in recreational and adult swimming, where adult lessons are few and far between. I'm getting more into swimming but have close-to-zero technique and there's no-one (and I mean no-one) providing any easily accessible lessons.

Yeah I suppose "easily accessible" is the key term there, when I was a member at David Lloyd you could book swimming lessons as an adult, but I haven't been part of that for a long time now.

Incidentally, I had crap technique, I was very slow due to my legs and torso creating a lot of drag because I was swimming at almost a 45 degree angle in the water. I changed that by using a float locked between my thighs and using mainly arms - it's a strange feeling when you suddenly go really quickly through the water. I watched a lot of YouTube coaching on it.
vball

Very similar story. My daughter swam and was in regional and sometimes Scottish setup.
Most mornings, some nights .. sometimes both on the same day. Huge amount of time and dedication. She got straight A's, went to Edinburgh Uni and got 1st class in Maths. She told me she also got Valedictorian but I had no idea what the hell that was until my wife (a PhD dude) told me. Mighty impressed. She has gone on to start training as an actuary and is progressing really well .. and getting large salary increases too. She is so well organised. Is this down to the swimming? Quite possibly is. From age of about 12, getting up early, getting this done to plan, making best use of the time available, etc. Certainly set her right.
My son did some swimming at regional level but found he could not keep going as rugby was taking more and more time. While not at the same level as his big sister, he is also organised, plans and gets things done.

Both of them drink and party like nutters too ......
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
inactionman

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:47 pm
inactionman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:31 pm My niece and nephew are both in Scottish national swimming squads, and the amount of training is indeed mental.

Yeah I suppose "easily accessible" is the key term there, when I was a member at David Lloyd you could book swimming lessons as an adult, but I haven't been part of that for a long time now.

Incidentally, I had crap technique, I was very slow due to my legs and torso creating a lot of drag because I was swimming at almost a 45 degree angle in the water. I changed that by using a float locked between my thighs and using mainly arms - it's a strange feeling when you suddenly go really quickly through the water. I watched a lot of YouTube coaching on it.
I was a member at Newhaven for a few years, great facilities but they never offered adult swim - the only classes were kids lessons and some aquafit things which were more jogging in water.

I did have a few lessons at Scottish Government in Victoria Quay but my contract ended before the course was complete - a real disappointment as the coach was excellent, he went right back to basics and I felt I was really 'pulling' through the water. I've not managed to get the same sensation again so I'm clearly doing something wrong.

I'll have a look - well, try to monitor - my body angle, as I'm usually relatively flat but I'm sure it could be improved. It's something a coach could easily spot, along with myriad other flaws I'm blissfully unaware of. I do think my stroke rate is too slow, as the coach at SG said it's more about gripping the water than just splashing through it, and it's better to do length in fewer strokes (fnar fnar) than complete a length more quickly but with more strokes. He probably just meant whilst working up techniques but I've noticed I stall in the water a bit on the breath.
Biffer

vball wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:50 pm Very similar story. My daughter swam and was in regional and sometimes Scottish setup.
Most mornings, some nights .. sometimes both on the same day. Huge amount of time and dedication. She got straight A's, went to Edinburgh Uni and got 1st class in Maths. She told me she also got Valedictorian but I had no idea what the hell that was until my wife (a PhD dude) told me. Mighty impressed. She has gone on to start training as an actuary and is progressing really well .. and getting large salary increases too. She is so well organised. Is this down to the swimming? Quite possibly is. From age of about 12, getting up early, getting this done to plan, making best use of the time available, etc. Certainly set her right.
My son did some swimming at regional level but found he could not keep going as rugby was taking more and more time. While not at the same level as his big sister, he is also organised, plans and gets things done.

Both of them drink and party like nutters too ......
This is why people who are college athletes in the US are heavily recruited. If you have NCAA athlete on your CV, it’s very well respected and will open doors.